• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

enewtabie

Great job 343. As someone who has bought every Halo game at
launch, this is a fine addition. The music and weapon sounds are particularly impressive.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thruster Pack kind of sucks. It's not nearly fast enough. Will become reactable very quickly and only become useful as an escape tactic. It also needs more force.

Kind of disappointed but I'm still rocking it.

abadguy

Banned
Lost credibility putting Reach in front of anything. That turd should be scraped off your shoe and thrown in the garbage.

WAT? Reach had an excellent campaign, mp was garbage compared to 2 and 3 but single player kicked ass. H2 was the worst Halo campaign for me.

Kud Dukan

It is once again the beautiful period where I can fool people with a hologram.

I fell for that a few times last night and felt like a complete idiot. I played way more Reach than most people around here probably did, so that shouldn't be happening to me...

It is once again the beautiful period where I can fool people with a hologram.

I forgot all about this. I am not sure why at all, but holograms seem to actualle confuse me sometimes. In Reach it just never happened, but already it's happened a couple times in 4. Though the first couple times was due to me completely forgetting that there were holograms. :lol

darthbob

Having finished the campaign, I just have one niggling thing rattling around up there...

During in game cutscenes, the audio, apart from the voices sounds...muted, distant, and just overall quieter and lower quality than everything else.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the fault of my specific setup, but I played through ODST the other night on the same setup and it was crystal.

In game with H4, it sounds great, but cutscenes are a mess with audio. During some of the scenes with the antagonist, the lipsync seemed to be off as well.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar to the cutscene audio.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I fell for that a few times last night and felt like a complete idiot. I played way more Reach than most people around here probably did, so that shouldn't be happening to me...
Aye, though it happened once to me and never again. Couldn't let things be like that any longer.

Lingitiz

Having finished the campaign, I just have one niggling thing rattling around up there...

During in game cutscenes, the audio, apart from the voices sounds...muted, distant, and just overall quieter and lower quality than everything else.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the fault of my specific setup, but I played through ODST the other night on the same setup and it was crystal.

In game with H4, it sounds great, but cutscenes are a mess with audio. During some of the scenes with the antagonist, the lipsync seemed to be off as well.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar to the cutscene audio.

The audio sounds really compressed in the cutscenes, which was likely a conceit to pair the single player down to a single disc i'd guess.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

Yes, many people have commented on this.

RdN

Frankie said that Legendary in this game would be very hard.. but I'm simply breezing through the game Solo. Kind of disappointed.

Xenon

The game is truly a step up in graphics. My only complaint is it's almost too bright and shiny. Some grit and flat colors would go a long way in helping creating some contrast. Still, 343 did a great job in creating scenes that gave me a sense of awe.

The game-play did fee different at first but after a few minutes it was a non issue. I like the Prometheans. They are different from Master Chief's past enemies which makes the combat fresh. This is something I've wanted from a Halo game for a long time.

The sound is messed up. As others have said the mixing is terrible and very inconsistent. I don't have a problem with the individual sounds just how they come together.

My final gripe is on a section where MC fights on a hull of a ship. I don't think that's a spoiler since it's very early on. The sound is totally fucked. I get that it is space but then muffle all sound. Having muffled sounds from some things but not others comes off like it is unfinished. The thing that really bugs me, however, is the way the game handles weightlessness of space. I understand there may be slight gravity on the hull or the MC and his foes' armor has magnetic boots to keep them grounded on the ship. But that does not explain why when someone gets killed they float like a dead goldfish in a bowl the moment they die. They don't float off into space. They don't hang lifeless on the hull held by their boots. It is as if they were being held down by their life force or soul. So the second they die they are rendered weightless. Well weightless to the point of floating a couple feet off the ground. It just seemed kind of absurd.

Other than that I'm loving the game thus far.

The sound is messed up. As others have said the mixing is terrible and very inconsistent. I don't have a problem with the individual sounds just how they come together.

All in all I'm very happy with the game, but this is my main gripe. It's an incredible step back from what Jay and Marty did at Bungie, and it's a shame.

The way the soundtrack was implemented is also kinda weird. I listened to it again today, and so many pieces are absent or don't even appear in the sequences they're named for. It's like 343 sent Davidge an outline of the story and asked him to compose some music, and after he sent it in they never spoke again. That's usually how it goes for games, yes, but Marty's work on the Halo games proved it could be done differently. It's a shame Halo 4 sounds the way it does, really.

And yes, I think this is the third post I've made on the matter. But sound is so important to me that it's really bugging me. :lol

I just moved into a new apartment and have been sans Internet for a while. I lurk GAF at work, so apologies for not hearing about this sooner.

At least I'm not the only one who noticed it.

Mr.Fresh

Yea I'm pretty much done with Randoms for awhile. It's kinda annoying that they do the dumbest shit. Gonna shelve the multiplayer till some of my friends get it.

MrBig

I feel like they inverted what Bungie has done with the campaign in the past.
The story telling is absolutely phenomenal, but the combat and encounter design really isn't up to par at all. 2D background are a huge step back and are quite the detractor though.
5/8 missions done.

...It's like 343 sent Davidge an outline of the story and asked him to compose some music, and after he sent it in they never spoke again. That's usually how it goes for games, yes, but Marty's work on the Halo games proved it could be done differently. It's a shame Halo 4 sounds the way it does, really.

I was thinking about that a lot during the campaign. It is a great soundtrack on its own, but there were several instances where the music just didn't quite "synchronize" with what was happening on screen at the time.

The tone matched, but you definitely got the feel that it wasn't scored to coincide directly with what was happening, which is never something I noticed with Bungie's process.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Random note:

From what I've played from the campaign thus far, the fun never ends. Looking back, everything is a set piece but they managed to do what has been holding CoD campaigns back for years, and that is establish a pacing that doesn't overwhelm the player and make them feel like they're consciously aware that's the explicit goal without any overarching string or story between them. Maybe that's just because the CoD campaigns have established their formula more over the years though, and the story is a bit stronger knit to the gameplay in Halo.

haikira

Glad i'm not the only one who noticed the lower quality audio in cutscenes. Thought i was going mad. It's almost like the voice recording sound perfectly clear, but the sound effects and music sounds lower quality. Also not crazy about no separate sliders for effects and music.

Those silly nitpicks aside, game was damn awesome. just finished the campaign today. I feel like I missed out, not knowing some of the extended lore. The experience was still great and the core of it is the MC and Cortana, which doesn't need any extended knowledge outside of the games. The game felt crazy short, but that's more a compliment as it's about the same length as previous games.

Petrichor

Can someone explain something to me early on in the game regarding the main antagonist? I'm not very brushed up on Halo in general.

So he's a forerunner. What's he doing in a giant ball and why does he put Chief in there? What did Chief do to him except let him out? Were humans like not even alive when the forerunners were around? Thought that was a long time ago.

In the halo universe humanity was at its technological peak as a civilisation at around the same time as the forerunners. However after besting them in the human-forerunner war, the forerunners "devolved" humanity into primitives, who then evolved into "us"

Stop voting for Haven and Ragnarok everyone, I want to try the others!

Ragnarok is the worst BTB map in the game (just like valhalla was in halo 3). Longbow and Exile are infinitely more interesting to play.

FyreWulff

I was thinking about that a lot during the campaign. It is a great soundtrack on its own, but there were several instances where the music just didn't quite "synchronize" with what was happening on screen at the time.

The tone matched, but you definitely got the feel that it wasn't scored to coincide directly with what was happening, which is never something I noticed with Bungie's process.

From what I could tell (mind, I was in splitscreen) that the music is no longer dynamic and layers/delayers itself depending on what's going on with the action. It just plays.

MacAttack

What sensitivity settings are yall using on the controls?

I feel like I'm moving too slow. Game is amazing though

I tried 4 but was too inaccurate. I'm back at three for the time being but plan on bumping it back up after I get more familiar with the game and maps.

I feel like the game was designed around this controller config and the default was set as something more like classic Halo just so people didn't jump on it for being like COD.

I've been using Recon since Reach.

Is there anywhere online I can look at the overhead maps for multiplayer?

Petrichor

Only beat the first level so far, on Normal.

Enemies were a joke...should I just switch to Heroic?

Heroic became really punishing for me from mission 4 onwards. I had to play it like I usually play legendary in a halo game i.e popping guys off from afar and conserving ammo, whereas usually heroic allows you to be slightly reckless in your playstyle, within reason.

And complex isn't fun at all to play on the multiplayer front. I love Solace, Haven and Abandon though - all three are better than every map in Reach.

Heroic became really punishing for me from mission 4 onwards. I had to play it like I usually play legendary in a halo game i.e popping guys off from afar and conserving ammo, whereas usually heroic allows you to be slightly reckless in your playstyle, within reason.

Hmm, that's what I've been hearing. Guess I'll stick with normal for my first playthrough and do heroic on my 2nd.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mid-game, Heroic feels like just below Legendary from other games, but just as hard because of scarcity of ammo primarily.

From what I could tell (mind, I was in splitscreen) that the music is no longer dynamic and layers/delayers itself depending on what's going on with the action. It just plays.
Nah, it will devolve into a loop if you spend too much time in a combat scenario, just like the Bungie games.

Hmm, that's what I've been hearing. Guess I'll stick with normal for my first playthrough and do heroic on my 2nd.
If you've spent any time playing Halo campaigns multiple times, Heroic is still the best place to start.

glad i'm not the only one who's been surprised by the difficulty. I've been playing through on Heroic (naturally) but at some points i've had to really plan out my fights and attack. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it's took me about 6 levels in to realise i can't go about my business as usual.

IronRinn

Played about 7 hours of this yesterday on Legendary, solo and got up to
Infinity
just after the part where you have to
defend the door while Cortana opens it
(died a few dozen times then, as usual, walked away and came back and did it on my second try) and I have to say, I'm finding it very difficult compared to the other campaigns. You guys beating it in 7 or 8 hours are just a tad bit better at Halo than me. Just a tad.

The Prometheans, especially, are not very much fun to fight...yet. There just isn't a combat solution, that I've found, as rhythmic as the over-charged plasma pistol to headshot combo that makes fighting the Covenant so satisfying. I've been reading a lot about how, especially with the Knights, it's a matter of getting right up on them, but man, that is quite the task when you're taking on 3 at a time with a Watcher there. I've mostly just been finding myself out of ammo, with too many enemies still alive to show for my efforts. There have been a few instances where I was able to distract them with a drone and then flank them for an assassination, which was fun, but that only seems to work 10% of the time. I just keep hoping that there is some sort of strategy besides hosing them with bullets until they disappear, because that just isn't doing it for me. Still, ever onward.

Top Bottom