• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Sanjuro

I'm doing legendary solo. Problem is, I'm going for some of the mission achievements. Not sure I can grade it yet, but I certainly have had some frustrating moments in the game.

WJD

Haven is definitely a great map, I just want to try the others out. I've already played Ragnarok thousands of times on Halo 3 too, so that one's more annoying.

K.Sabot

Haven is definitely a great map, I just want to try the others out. I've already played Ragnarok thousands of times on Halo 3 too, so that one's more annoying.

I think we all agree Ragnarok is the worst map, it's not even a good Blood Gulch replacement.

I just got done playing Big Team Slayer on it and they voted for it again, fuck that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only problem I have with Prometheans, and mind you Im only 6 levels in, is that they're not really a threat in groups, you can handle the crawlers and Prometheans individually most of the time, and there's a very clear priority level for taking them out. Watchers > Turrets > Crawlers > Knights

Played a little bit last night both single and multiplayer. Fantastic stuff and hats off to 343. My go-to shooter is back and better than ever!

Just looked on Waypoint and saw that I had completed Campaign on Heroic co-op in 3 hours and 52 minutes!

I can definitely tell that we were rushing but it didn't seem like it was THAT short...

Definitely taking time on my Legendary solo run.

Deadstar

So, two things. I don't like the ordinance drops. What is the point? You already have loadouts which can get you a ton of different weapons, why are these necessary? They seem too powerful.

I'm not sure I like how you can pick your weapon loadouts. Powers and grenades are fine but now that you can pick your starting weapons it deemphasizes the importance of weapons on the map. I found myself rarely picking up anything because I started with exactly what I wanted. That seems strange because past Halo's are all about map control.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just looked on Waypoint and saw that I had completed Campaign on Heroic co-op in 3 hours and 52 minutes!

I can definitely tell that we were rushing but it didn't seem like it was THAT short...

Definitely taking time on my Legendary solo run.
No way. Did you skip all the cutscenes and have 4 players?

Only explanation for that I can imagine is that the coop scaling must be really bad, which sounds disappointing.

dc89

You can only get 2 kills with it from what I've seen.

It's insanely powerful though, if you get caught in it's fire you're pretty much gone! I even used my thrusters to try and get around a corner but nope!

Maybe I need some new tactics

S1kkZ

did anyone else notice the slight white "flashes" when you turn the camera really fast? it doestn happen all the time but it annoys me a little bit. i mostly see this in some unreal engine 3 titles.

Played about 7 hours of this yesterday on Legendary, solo and got up to
Infinity
just after the part where you have to
defend the door while Cortana opens it
(died a few dozen times then, as usual, walked away and came back and did it on my second try) and I have to say, I'm finding it very difficult compared to the other campaigns. You guys beating it in 7 or 8 hours are just a tad bit better at Halo than me. Just a tad.

The Prometheans, especially, are not very much fun to fight...yet. There just isn't a combat solution, that I've found, as rhythmic as the over-charged plasma pistol to headshot combo that makes fighting the Covenant so satisfying. I've been reading a lot about how, especially with the Knights, it's a matter of getting right up on them, but man, that is quite the task when you're taking on 3 at a time with a Watcher there. I've mostly just been finding myself out of ammo, with too many enemies still alive to show for my efforts. There have been a few instances where I was able to distract them with a drone and then flank them for an assassination, which was fun, but that only seems to work 10% of the time. I just keep hoping that there is some sort of strategy besides hosing them with bullets until they disappear, because that just isn't doing it for me. Still, ever onward.
You may already know this, but you HAVE to kill the Watchers first. Also, the Auto Turret/Sentry Armor Ability is a must-have when you can grab it for any encounter, especially with the Prometheans. Other than that, I agree that the PromKnights aren't that much fun to fight. They're quite the bullet sponge, and I haven't even attempted Legendary yet.

CyReN

It's insanely powerful though, if you get caught in it's fire you're pretty much gone! I even used my thrusters to try and get around a corner but nope!

That's the point of basically a power weapon. (I would consider it for Halo 4)

I think we all agree Ragnarok is the worst map, it's not even a good Blood Gulch replacement.

I just got done playing Big Team Slayer on it and they voted for it again, fuck that.

Really? I didn't like Valhalla in Halo 3, but I am really enjoying it in 4. Probably because of sprint and all that. My least favorite map so far is definitely complex.

Its a power weapon now, so whatever you do when u see an enemy with rockets, do the same when u see the needler. Look for cover.

Havok

Only explanation for that I can imagine is that the coop scaling must be really bad, which sounds disappointing.
I don't believe there is any player number dependent scaling in either campaign or Spartan Ops.

My 2p coop Legendary run was just under 4 hours long skipping cutscenes.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Really? I didn't like Valhalla in Halo 3, but I am really enjoying it in 4. Probably because of sprint and all that. My least favorite map so far is definitely complex.

Boo, complex is fun

Abandon is the bad one

It's like backwash with less fog and more elevation

So when is the fun match making stuff going to go online, like the mongoose racing.

I haven't played a FPS on my Xbox for a year, god i wished this game was on PC. I can't aim for shit with these sticks and I keep pushing in my left stick and crouch since i play on RECON control setting. I want to disable Crouch! I feel going for headshots are harder, and the assault rifle actually can get kills. The new balance feels weird. I like the DMR wished it would shoot faster.

I don't believe there is any player number dependent scaling in either campaign or Spartan Ops.

My 2p coop Legendary run was just under 4 hours long skipping cutscenes.
Was that your first playthrough? Why would you skip cutscenes? Don't care about the story?

dc89

That's the point of basically a power weapon. (I would consider it for Halo 4)

Its a power weapon now, so whatever you do when u see an enemy with rockets, do the same when u see the needler. Look for cover.

I didn't really read tons of stuff about Halo 4 pre-launch so thanks for informing me that its now a power weapon! Maybe I should have!

It's a far cry from the previous Needlers. I'll have to grab one and dish out some pain.

IronRinn

You may already know this, but you HAVE to kill the Watchers first. Also, the Auto Turret/Sentry Armor Ability is a must-have when you can grab it for any encounter, especially with the Prometheans. Other than that, I agree that the PromKnights aren't that much fun to fight. They're quite the bullet sponge, and I haven't even attempted Legendary yet.

Oh yeah, I found that out the hard way pretty quickly. The Autosentry ability is my favorite armor ability so far, as the AI goes right for it. Has anyone else noticed a headshot indicator on the Watchers (the little dot that appears in your reticule when you are lined up for a headshot)? I feel like I've seen it pop up really briefly when I'm aiming at them, but I can't figure out what it is I'm specifically aiming at on them.

Nope, we watched all cutscenes, and we did have 4 players.

Like I said, we kinda rushed through the levels.

I will say that 4 player co-op on Heroic is super easy.

AR can kill people, in four games of Halo this hasn't been true. I don't know what to feel

I think it's perfect. I don't use it but going against it, I'm not too mad when I die from it. It can't kill long range and is still somewhat hard at middle range but up close with a DMR or BR you have to hit all your shots or you will die to an AR. This seems perfect to me.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I've beaten Reach on legendary in my first playthrough, should I try for the same here? Or is it mindnumbingly hard as some folks are saying?

Ein Bear

Just played my first game on Ragnarok.

Started the game, picked the Spartan Laser up and got a double kill, all in the first minute. Bloody typical, that was the only achievement I didn't get in Halo 3! I spent years trying to pull that off!

Kud Dukan

Started the game, picked the Spartan Laser up and got a double kill, all in the first minute. Bloody typical, that was the only achievement I didn't get in Halo 3! I spent years trying to pull that off!

You must have felt so very conflicted after that happened.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Well, if it makes you feel any better it wasn't just a double kill in Halo 3. It was a double laser kill, meaning the laser had to hit both of them. If you killed 2 people in a vehicle it didn't count.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
My copy came in the mail today. Supposedly, it was to arrive on release day. :\ First Halo I don't play on release day. Nevertheless, I'm very excited to get home and play the campaign already.

Ein Bear

Well, if it makes you feel any better it wasn't just a double kill in Halo 3. It was a double laser kill, meaning the laser had to hit both of them. If you killed 2 people in a vehicle it didn't count.

Nah yeah, that's what I did - picked it up, zoomed in, saw two guys leaving the base on foot and killed them both. There was a brief moment when I was blissfully happy... Until I remembered this was a different game :p

Top Bottom