• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Sounds like the multiplayer for this game is pretty hit and miss. People posting about lag and grenade spam.

Any truth to this?

EvB

She refers to him as
that didact
so maybe she was using the word in the literal form, maybe even as an insult.

Havok

How the heck do you create and save a gametype? I can't only see how to modify the existing ones.
You start from a base gametype and make your edits, then I believe you hit Y to bring up the file menu and save it as a new gametype. Near the bottom of the screen there should be a File Options prompt with the proper button on it.

Sounds like the multiplayer for this game is pretty hit and miss. People posting about lag and grenade spam.

Any truth to this?

Some to both. There was some lag and network issues most of yesterday(not sure about today). Grenade spam is a side effect to instant respawn and grenade perks. So....yeah. I'm guessing the grenade spam will start getting worse as more learn about it and start using it.

Any truth to this?

In my 3 hours of play time online (1 hour with split-screen online), I haven't noticed any lag or people grenade spamming (grenades don't do a lot of damage, anyway).

Grisby

Grenades also seem really toned down (both in radius and aesthetic results). The explosions for some stuff in general (Phantoms) looks really tame.

On the other hand 343 added some really badass new weapons. I've been enjoying using all the new toys.l

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Some to both. There was some lag and network issues most of yesterday(not sure about today). Grenade spam is a side effect to instant respawn and grenade perks. So....yeah. I'm guessing the grenade spam will start getting worse as more learn about it and start using it.
Grenade spam kind of killed part of CoD for me :(

Grenades also seem really toned down (both in radius and aesthetic results). The explosions for some stuff in general (Phantoms) looks really tame.

On the other hand 343 added some really badass new weapons. I've been enjoying using all the new toys.l
Well that's good to hear at least.

I was wondering the same thing. I assumed I just missed something.

Well we both probably didn't miss it...

I guess she really did just pull it out of her ass.

There was that brief moment as Chief activates the Cryptum. Just as it is too late, Cortana exclaims as if she realizes the truth and instructs the Chief to take his hands off the pillars. I suppose we'll just have to assume that in that moment, she found some reference to the Didact being inside.

She refers to him as
that didact

Seems a bit too on the nose for me...

MrDaravon

Outside of one game yesterday I haven't had any lag in War Games, but I got off when the servers started getting really bad. Campaign and Ops lag is a completely different story though. Also haven't noticed any grenade spam yet either.

emag

I have zero interest in shooters (with the exceptions of Mass Effect, Resident Evil and Metroid Prime), but I rented Halo 4 to see if it would change my mind.

I put an hour or so into the campaign (have landed on the planet, driven a few vehicles) and while the presentation is great and the gameplay seems quite polished, it's not doing anything for me. I have no desire to try any of the multiplayer modes, and I find shooting at swarms upon swarms of enemies both tiresome and tedious.

Does the game change so significantly within the next hour or two that I will have to re-evaluate my position? Or should I give up and send it back to GameFly?

daedalius

She refers to him as
that didact

Kind of the same way she refers to 'that Gravemind' in Halo 2 ;)

Cortana just names stuff, and then we all use it I guess.

I must really be out of touch with the Live Marketplace. Can I not buy Halo 4 digitally from the store? I could have sworn this was an option for certain games. I'm currently laid up sick, and don't want to venture out and waste any gas since Sandy hit.

I have zero interest in shooters (with the exceptions of Mass Effect, Resident Evil and Metroid Prime), but I rented Halo 4 to see if it would change my mind.

I put an hour or so into the campaign (have landed on the planet, driven a few vehicles) and while the presentation is great and the gameplay seems quite polished, it's not doing anything for me. I have no desire to try any of the multiplayer modes, and I find shooting at swarms upon swarms of enemies both tiresome and tedious.

Does the game change so significantly within the next hour or two that I will have to re-evaluate my position? Or should I give up and send it back to GameFly?

I would say that the real main attraction comes at the end of Mission 3, which you should be pretty close to. If that doesn't change your mind, send it back.

However, what happens is really more interesting to someone who has played the series for many years. It's basically delivering on an old tease. For this reason, if you didn't play the previous games, it might not even matter to you.

Riptwo

Does anyone want to trade away an Amazon preorder skin? I have either a set of Pulse Armor or a Locus Helmet up for grabs (and I'm in North America, should that make a difference). If so, send me a PM!

I wouldn't be too worried now though, I'd wait to see how it gets. I haven't seen it too terrably much yet, and a lot of it could just be due to instant respawns.

After playing quite a bit in the last 2 days, i can safely say that i haven't noticed any grenade spamming, (or enough of it to become annoying or game breaking).

I have noticed that i tend to die from being shot in the back a lot, that could be the spawns, or just me being very unlucky.

j-wood

How does voice chat work in this game?

Can the other team hear you based on proximity? Or is it strictly your team only?

Danis

Neo Member
So... didn't 343i say there would be classic Halo playlists? I'm not seeing them.

I'm completely crushed. The MP i've enjoyed for 12 years is completely gone. I was banking on their being a classic Halo (AR/BR spawn, weapons on map, no AA/Perks/etc) Playlist.

Any work from 343i? This is a major deal breaker for me. I seriously am incredibly upset. I actually don't play Call of Duty because that style of MP doesn't appeal to me in the least, and now I don't seem to have the option to play something else.

Heck, I'd even take SWAT... which is also missing.

So... didn't 343i say there would be classic Halo playlists? I'm not seeing them.

I'm completely crushed. The MP i've enjoyed for 12 years is completely gone. I was banking on their being a classic Halo (AR/BR spawn, weapons on map, no AA/Perks?etc) Playlist.

Any work from 343i? This is a major deal breaker for me. I seriously am incredibly upset. I actually don't play Call of Duty because that style of MP doesn't appeal to me in the least, and now I don't seem to have the option to play something else.

Heck, I'd even take SWAT... which is also missing.

Isnt pro a classic playlist? And ya, im surprised swat isnt there either.

george_us

Just beat it.

I said goddamn. This is the game that actually makes me like Master Chief as a character. Going to need to replay it because most Halo campaigns make a better impression on me when I replay them but this is tied with ODST as my favorite.

Danis

Neo Member
Isnt pro a classic playlist? And ya, im surprised swat isnt there either.

It's close, but not really. No AA or Perks/Weapon drops, but still load-out spawns. There are also only like... 3 weapons on the map. I guess holding out for a true classic playlist is asking too much.

I really want a 5 second respawn, AR/BR spawn, no AA/Perks/Drops, all weapons on the map, classic power weapon/map control Halo experience with the new game. I don't think I'm going to get it.

Also, Campaign ending question.....
How did Chief survive the bomb? Slipspace field... portal... magic?

I think my biggest takeaway from my first ~30 matches is this.

You roll with a squad of people you know, or you play FFA.

Hitting Team playlists solo is masochistic.
So, like most other Halos. Going in solo has always been an exercise in flagellation.

You start from a base gametype and make your edits, then I believe you hit Y to bring up the file menu and save it as a new gametype. Near the bottom of the screen there should be a File Options prompt with the proper button on it.
This brings me to my biggest complaint against Halo 4: the menus. Absolutely atrocious design and very unintuitive. I can see why 343 would want to make this Halo their own, but some thing shouldn't be done just to make a statement (or to be compatible with smartglass, which is probably the actual reasoning).

It's close, but not really. No AA or Perks/Weapon drops, but still load-out spawns. There are also only like... 3 weapons on the map. I guess holding out for a true classic playlist is asking too much.

I really want a 5 second respawn, AR/BR spawn, no AA/Perks/Drops, all weapons on the map, classic power weapon/map control Halo experience with the new game. I don't think I'm going to get it.

I dont see why they couldnt add them, like they will swat. Id be very surprised if they didnt actually. I think right now, they might just want the mass public to get used to these.

adamfedoruk

Neo Member
Did we talk about/figure out this
I didn't see anything in the last 15ish pages since I was on last.
I'm in class, so this is rough, but what does it mean!?
ibeVZVNTYcUrzE.png

Danis

Neo Member
I dont see why they couldnt add them, like they will swat. Id be very surprised if they didnt. I think right now, they just want the mass public to get used to these.

No offense, but fuck the masses. I want my classic Halo. God dammit I hate Infinity Ward....

Good afternoon Halo fans.

Question.

I never watched the Forward Unto Dawn series. I purchased the Limited Edition Halo 4. I see that came with a code for Forward Unto Dawn.

I went to Halo Waypoint through the app on the 360, and there are two different "Forward Unto Dawn" tabs. One looks like a series of 5 Episodes, and the other looks like it's one long video.

Should I watch the 5 episodes first, then this other video? Are they the same? If so, which is better?

Thanks in advance.

No offense, but fuck the masses. I want my classic Halo. God dammit I hate Infinity Ward....

The masses are customers just like you and me, and i dunno if you noticed but there's a lot more of them right now than there are people wanting classic Halo playlists. Like i said, the playlists will be updated based on feedback, like they always do. You just have to be patient. And that means being patient for more than 2 days.

Question.

I never watched the Forward Unto Dawn series. I purchased the Limited Edition Halo 4. I see that came with a code for Forward Unto Dawn.

I went to Halo Waypoint through the app on the 360, and there are two different "Forward Unto Dawn" tabs. One looks like a series of 5 Episodes, and the other looks like it's one long video.

Should I watch the 5 episodes first, then this other video? Are they the same? If so, which is better?

Thanks in advance.

Im pretty sure the 5 videos and this are the same. This one is just non stop one shot 90 minutes while the others are separated into 5.

Question.

Thanks in advance.

The long version that is unlocked by buying the LE is edited together and has a bit of extra footage. Definitely go with that one if you can.

damn, installing the game is like night and day. looks and performing phenomenal now.

i just got up to the part in the e3 demo. the lead up to that was too crazy :D

Danis

Neo Member
The masses are customers just like you and me, and i dunno if you noticed but there's a lot more of them right now than there are people wanting classic Halo playlists. Like i said, the playlists will be updated based on feedback, like they always do. You just have to be patient. And that means being patient for more than 2 days.

I guess that's my issue. I'm sure most will disagree with me, but it's still my issue. I've been playing Halo for 12 years. I expect certain things from Halo, as far as gameplay. It's like an apple. I expect an apple to taste like an apple. This Halo does not taste like Halo.

I understand why. MW2, 3 and Black Ops broke Sales records. Microsoft wants that market share. I get it. But it's guys like me that made Halo a popular franchise in the first place. We're left out in the cold so MS can try and corner a market share.

Funny thing is, the demographic they are going for, could give two shits they went this direction. I deal with them on a daily basis. I work with kids age 12-18. You ask what they are looking forward to this fall, nobody says Halo....

I guess I'm just upset I now have to wait for content worth playing (don't even get me started about them locking the emblems that have been unlocked from day 1 since Halo 2....) Hell, locking things in general (I know Reach did this) is un-fucking-acceptable as far as I'm concerned. I'm 30+,wife, kids, job. I don't have time to unlock gameplay elements. Just give me a fucking playlist where I can play the fucking game and all its content. (I know about custom games, save your typing.)

Top Bottom