• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

I guess that's my issue. I'm sure most will disagree with me, but it's still my issue. I've been playing Halo for 12 years. I expect certain things from Halo, as far as gameplay. It's like an apple. I expect an apple to taste like an apple. This Halo does not taste like Halo.

The gameplay IS Halo.

Heh, something tells me if you thought Bungie developed the title, you would be singing a different tune.

Oozer3993

Bang for buck which one should I go for? MP or just run the SpOp stuff?

I haven't played MP yet, so I'm not sure how much XP a multiplayer match will get you, but I just got over 5,600 XP for one Spartan Ops mission. I'm at SR 11 and I've done all of 6 Spartan Ops missions. And three of those were solo so they didn't get me double XP.

Danis

Neo Member
The gameplay IS Halo.

Heh, something tells me if you thought Bungie developed the title, you would be singing a different tune.

Not at all. I'm actually pissed Bungie didn't deliver a Single Player this amazing in the decade after Halo:Ce they had control over the franchise.

The core is Halo, yes. Shoot, melee, grenade, shields. That's Halo. The rest is Call of Duty. To say otherwise is fooling yourself.

Regicide is pretty fun but Hmmmmm at least have 6 people instead of 5. Or even 7/8 :D

first world master chief problems :p

This guy at work got pissed when people would say it's basically call of duty in multiplayer

jet1911

I think the story could use a little more exposition. I mean was it ever explained in a game before that humans fought the Forerunners hundreds of thousands of years ago? There's a lot of things that are not explained that should have been.

MrDaravon

Man, it's really obvious that Spartan Ops doesn't scale based on the number of players. It's significantly harder on Legendary solo than it should be.

Havok

Man, it's really obvious that Spartan Ops doesn't scale based on the number of players. It's significantly harder on Legendary solo than it should be.
I can't decide if I like that it doesn't or not. On the one hand, the campaign is a total breeze on Legendary, so I like that there's a place to go where the area is populated with far more enemies than I could handle at once (especially that first mission if you decide to do it on foot as a change of pace, it's a real "hard but fair" challenge), but on the other hand some missions take it a little far. Episode 1 Chapter 3 is just a pain in the ass, no fun is had there. The rest are more than manageable with no deaths. Adding a second player makes most of the other missions a total cakewalk, but that one is still annoying.
I think the story could use a little more exposition. I mean was it ever explained in a game before that humans fought the Forerunners hundreds of thousands of years ago? There's a lot of things that are not explained that should have been.
That story beat wasn't developed until 343 took over. A Bungie employee mentioned once that their plan all along was to make Forerunners and humans one and the same, but 343 changed it when they started doing more of the Forerunner backstory.

Agreed. I'm noticing that with a significant amount of things in the game, I only understand them because I read the books.

Sure, I know what is going on, but people who did not read the books will be lost.

In the game:
Oh, the Covenant apparently still exists. That's...funny. Carry on.
In the books:
Civil War, sneaky ONI, Jul Mdama!

EvB

Find the terminals and watch the videos, it might well explain it there.

I guess that's my issue. I'm sure most will disagree with me, but it's still my issue. I've been playing Halo for 12 years. I expect certain things from Halo, as far as gameplay. It's like an apple. I expect an apple to taste like an apple. This Halo does not taste like Halo.

I understand why. MW2, 3 and Black Ops broke Sales records. Microsoft wants that market share. I get it. But it's guys like me that made Halo a popular franchise in the first place. We're left out in the cold so MS can try and corner a market share.

Funny thing is, the demographic they are going for, could give two shits they went this direction. I deal with them on a daily basis. I work with kids age 12-18. You ask what they are looking forward to this fall, nobody says Halo....

I guess I'm just upset I now have to wait for content worth playing (don't even get me started about them locking the emblems that have been unlocked from day 1 since Halo 2....)

Its not about the sales records. Halo breaks sales records too every time a main sequel comes out. Halo2, Halo3, etc.. Its more about making ranking up more interesting and to a certain degree, addictive so you keep coming back. Ive also been playing Halo since CE and just like that game brought new elements to the table that made the console FPS genre evolve, so did COD4. But most hate to admit it, especially the core Halo fans. The same content is there in the game when it comes to avatars, weapons and shit, its just unlocked as you play. Personally, i don't mind that. I find that more interesting, more addictive and i end up playing Halo a lot more and hell, i already have all the weapons i want unlocked and im only at level 16. You unlock stuff very fast and yet, im still curious to see what else i unlock, so i keep playing. That's why they did that and it works.

I agree with you though that 343 should pay respect to the people who got them here and put in some classic playlists. Hell, i even think i should be able to drop the flag, have a 1 flag game-type and even have an assault gametype!! But im absolutely positive that they will come very soon (maybe not assault tho). Id be absolutely shocked if they didn't, especially after a few people at 343 said it would.

Honestly, the game still very much feels like Halo to me. I don't feel like im playing COD one bit and thats what im loving about it. It stayed true to its core Halo feel, while making it more addictive to unlock stuff, incite people to play more as a team with the new points system and it works wonderfully so far.

Im the type of person that, if the franchise doesn't bring in new things to keep things interesting, i lose interest. No matter how big a Halo fan i am. They did exactly what they set out to do, and im enjoying it very much.

My friend and I are wanting to play online 1v1 but after every match the game bugs out and kicks us off. For a while we can't reconnect to eachother. Then a few minutes go by and the game checks for DLC and we can connect again.

What the fuck is this shit?

MrDaravon

I can't decide if I like that it doesn't or not. On the one hand, the campaign is a total breeze on Legendary, so I like that there's a place to go where the area is populated with far more enemies than I could handle at once (especially that first mission if you decide to do it on foot as a change of pace, it's a real "hard but fair" challenge), but on the other hand some missions take it a little far. Episode 1 Chapter 3 is just a pain in the ass, no fun is had there. The rest are more than manageable with no deaths. Adding a second player makes most of the other missions a total cakewalk, but that one is still annoying.

I'm apparently fucking terrible then, because I am getting goddamn destroyed on the first level.

Havok

I'm apparently fucking terrible then, because I am getting goddamn destroyed on the first level.
The Marines at the start appear to have randomized power weapons, if you get a Rocket Launcher guy and the Gauss, you can pretty much sail through in a sea of explosions.

Rev3rb

Legendary has been demolishing me. Not because the enemies are tough, but I always run out of ammo! Go look for a gun, can't find any... or I find something and it takes the entire magazine to kill an enemy

MrDaravon

The Marines at the start appear to have randomized power weapons, if you get a Rocket Launcher guy and the Gauss, you can pretty much sail through in a sea of explosions.

No rocket launcher guy, at least that I saw. The Gauss warthog I tried gunning, the AI drove me into a rock and stopped dead cold, and I died. Then I tried driving the other two warthogs, the AI guys weren't killing anything. It's mostly frustrating because 95% of my deaths are me getting one-shotted by either a Wraith or something with a fuel rod cannon. I've got DMR starts, but once I run out of ammo for that I'm fucked, I'm literally just brute forcing my way through this. I've solo Legendary'd all of the Halo games, this is just fucking stupid.

Havok

No rocket launcher guy, at least that I saw. The Gauss warthog I tried gunning, the AI drove me into a rock and stopped dead cold, and I died. Then I tried driving the other two warthogs, the AI guys weren't killing anything. It's mostly frustrating because 95% of my deaths are me getting one-shotted by either a Wraith or something with a fuel rod cannon. I've got DMR starts, but once I run out of ammo for that I'm fucked, I'm literally just brute forcing my way through this. I've solo Legendary'd all of the Halo games, this is just fucking stupid.
I'd recommend restarting the mission until the rocket guy spawns, driving the Gauss and driving around. There are also four empty Wraiths that respawn that you can take to make it a bit easier.

MrDaravon

I'd recommend restarting the mission until the rocket guy spawns, driving the Gauss and driving around. There are also four empty Wraiths that respawn that you can take to make it a bit easier.

I just beat it unfortunately. I was using the Wraiths, but if I got anywhere fucking near someone I would immediately get fuel rod cannon'd instantly to death, and on Legendary they're good at avoiding ranged Wraith shots, not to mention that some of the Elites will just outright survive direct shots -_-.

Probably would have been a lot more fun and enjoyable playing with friends, too bad the netcode is the exact same dogshit it was for Campaign in Halo 3 and Reach. Jesus Christ. After finishing the disappointing campaign and just doing this I don't even want to play anymore.

I'm finding it quitethe opposite. This feels like the most solo friendly Halo experience I've had.

Ya me too. Before all people cared about is kills, now you actually see people WANT TO drive a hog! Its crazy. I see less team-killing too for the power weapons or good vehicles, in fact ive seen none it.

Yager

Banned
Ya me too. Before all people cared about is kills, now you actually see people WANT TO drive a hog! Its crazy. I see less team-killing too for the power weapons or good vehicles, in fact ive seen none it.

Of course they want to drive a hog, who doesn't? I've always had more fun when playing for the team than for myself. I mean, that's the point of the MP.

Petrie

Banned
The lack of anyone using a mic in MP is disappointing. Perhaps this is becoming more common in the time since I last bothered with a MP Live game?

Of course they want to drive a hog, who doesn't? I've always had more fun when playing for the team than for myself. I mean, that's the point of the MP.

Not before. Before, if youd grab a power weapon that "so and so" screamed and called out in the lobby, they'd start shooting you in the back and team-killing you. God forbid some else uses the sniper! Then you'd walk up to a hog, see a guy on a turret shooting the sky and no driver.......so you're like, fuck i guess im driving. But now people don't seem to mind.

MGrant

That story beat wasn't developed until 343 took over. A Bungie employee mentioned once that their plan all along was to make Forerunners and humans one and the same, but 343 changed it when they started doing more of the Forerunner backstory.

Thanks for clarifying this. I was sure that this is what Bungie had been getting at the whole time. I think Guilty Spark even has a line in Halo 3 along the lines of "You are Forerunner, but this ring is mine!" Always wondered why/how that has been retconned.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picked up the game today. Anyone up for playing Legendary co-op from the beginning?

Yager

Banned
Not before. Before, if youd grab a power weapon that "so and so" screamed and called out in the lobby, they'd start shooting you in the back and team-killing you. God forbid some else uses the sniper! Then you'd walk up to a hog, see a guy on a turret shooting the sky and no driver.......so you're like, fuck i guess im driving. But now people don't seem to mind.

Yeah, I know, it happened to me a lot of times in H3 and Reach. But most of the times, I used to start shooting them randomly so they ended up killing me, and after repeating that a couple of times I kicked them out of the game.

Spartan Ops is fun. Some nice sights in there, too. GG, 343.

Now nerf those fucking Prometheans, because damage sponges are bad game design.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Probably my last attempt for this, would anyone with a Best Buy Pre Order Armor Code like to trade me that code for my Gamestop Armor Code?

Top Bottom