• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

adamfedoruk

Neo Member
I still haven't unlocked any armor abilities yet - I'm waiting for Autosentry and Regeneration Field. Anything worth unlocking before that, IYO? I've got 7 points to spend.

Promethean Vision. A halfway decent player can generate so many more kills with just a bit more situational awareness.

oatmeal

Banned
So 343 did everything Bungie did but add a much better graphics engine...

But Bungie trumps the FUCK out of 343 in UI design.

And Halo Waypoint is fucking slow and awful for your stats.

Goddamnit. Terrible.

EvB

I've always wondered this as it's a requirement for Xbox Live and it says it has them on the back of the box, but where are the leaderboards?

paischtu

Neo Member
So 343 did everything Bungie did but add a much better graphics engine...

But Bungie trumps the FUCK out of 343 in UI design.

And Halo Waypoint is fucking slow and awful for your stats.

Goddamnit. Terrible.

Who cares about stats? Come back a week later, it'll be fine.

UI stuff is your taste. I like this UI better. My opinion..

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So is there any indication when you redeem the extra content from the LE for the season pass? Do I just assume the season pass has been activated for my account?

I was really afraid that the Carbine was just gonna be inferior to the DMR and BR, but even if it is, I've been getting pleeenty of kills with it. Really satisfied with this weapon.

It's great because with a DMR, if I miss a headshot I'm usually screwed unless the other person fucks up too, but with the Carbine I just pump out as many headshots as I can as fast as I can pull the trigger, and I can miss a few and still get the kill.

Rockin' the Carbine, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Grenades and Hardlight shield, I feel like a Jackal

Annoying things about H4:

- It keeps telling me I unlocked a bunch of stuff that I haven't actually unlocked, I can just view them now.

- It keeps telling me I unlocked/can view things that don't appear to be viewable. It keeps saying I unlocked BR ACT or something but that doesnt show up. It also keeps telling me I unlocked a few FRST armors but I haven't seen them yet.

StuBurns

Banned
I talked some smack about the story yesterday, based on reviews and things, but it's surprisingly inoffensive in the context of the game. It's still completely throwaway, at least so far, but it's not intrusive at all.

I don't know how far I am in, maybe half way, but it's very good. Not better than it's predecessors outside of the visuals, but still very good.

soldat7

Okay, so I got Halo 4 yesterday and haven't played it yet. I decided to finally get into the Halo mythology and dust off my Halo 3 and Halo Reach Legendary edition (more of a game collector rather than a player) and play them before moving to Halo 4. Now, I have done two chapters in Reach and I am beginning to see why the game is praised by critics with regards to level design and gameplay controls. I am on the second chapter and I think I'll finish the SP within the next 3 days (not much of MP kind of guy, not to mention I'll be slaughtered with my skill atm).

Now, the only the only games I'm missing are Halo 1, 2 and ODST. I'd definitely play Halo Anniversary but I can easily see the story video online (given I don't do too well with grey corridors, they induce nausea) and for that and Halo 2. So how crucial is ODST compared to rest of the entries in the franchise? I know Nathan Fillion (YAY) has given his face and voice and not to mention the game has some of the if not the best set of soundtracks in the franchise allied with some really atmospheric locales.

Given I'm strapped for cash, can I make a thread asking if someone can lend me their copy of ODST (Toronto, Canada)?

Halo: Combat Evolved is a vastly superior experience to all the other Halos. Be sure to play it at some point.

EvB

Annoying things about H4:

- It keeps telling me I unlocked a bunch of stuff that I haven't actually unlocked, I can just view them now.

- It keeps telling me I unlocked/can view things that don't appear to be viewable. It keeps saying I unlocked BR ACT or something but that doesnt show up. It also keeps telling me I unlocked a few FRST armors but I haven't seen them yet.
The servers are still playing up a little, it's having an effect on that stuff.

ultron87

Thruster Pack is terrible right? Or am I just missing how it is meant to be used? It just seems like moving an extra 3 feet isn't particularly useful.

I was really afraid that the Carbine was just gonna be inferior to the DMR and BR, but even if it is, I've been getting pleeenty of kills with it. Really satisfied with this weapon.

It's great because with a DMR, if I miss a headshot I'm usually screwed unless the other person fucks up too, but with the Carbine I just pump out as many headshots as I can as fast as I can pull the trigger, and I can miss a few and still get the kill.

Rockin' the Carbine, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Grenades and Hardlight shield, I feel like a Jackal
:lol to feeling like a Jackal.
So you're getting a pretty decent success rate against people with DMRs? Is carbine viable for as long range as the DMR? Sorely been tempted to use it because of faster firing rate but everytime I pick one up I fail utterly with it.

EvB

Thruster Pack is terrible right? Or am I just missing how it is meant to be used? It just seems like moving an extra 3 feet isn't particularly useful.

Yeah, it seemed useless to me, unless you are playing as Flood, which is in fact hilarious.

Cetra

Thruster Pack is the AA I've been using the most. I use it when myself and my opponent are rushing each other. It usually allows to catch them off guard and get my melee attack in first. It's also useful for bolting into cover quickly when your shields pop. It's been fun coming up with new uses. Dash out of the second floor of bases to dodge rockets, dash in and out of cover. You just have to be creative with it.

blamite

anyone found any easter eggs so far?

This is a pretty small one, but I found a Limited Edition box on the floor in the first level. It was in one of the very first rooms, but there may be others laying around too.

Best easter egg I've seen yet (I don't consider anything below a spoiler, but just to be safe):
A conversation between two marines, one of them in a Mantis:

Marine 1: Okay, try looking up.
*Mantis looks down*
Marine 2: Oh come on, what idiot inverted the controls?

It can be used as a quick strafe to thrown off enemies, or midair to get extra jump distance or change direction. It's been my go-to AA since I unlocked it. It's not amazingly useful, but it can come in handy occasionally.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
:lol to feeling like a Jackal.
So you're getting a pretty decent success rate against people with DMRs? Is carbine viable for as long range as the DMR? Sorely been tempted to use it because of faster firing rate but everytime I pick one up I fail utterly with it.

Carbine is awesome but you have to hit their head. I love dat range

Falifax said:
I just want to see the day when everybody is tired of Ragnarok.

You'll probably have to wait for the map packs. It's perfect for the vehicles and big team battle

SeanR1221

So I changed the controls to fish stick thinking it would be easier keeping them like CoD controls but its throwing me off. I guess halo controls are so engrained in me it doesn't help.

NZNova

Loving this game so far. The covenant encounter near the
second set of generators on the second pylon, with the three banshees, two ghosts etc
at the end of
Forerunner
was awesome fun. So far my only gripe is that the new weapons seem to be a pistol, an assault rifle, a shotgun, a carbine and a sniper rifle so far. I'd like to have seen a bit more variety there in the new stuff. Hopefully there's still a trick or two up the game's sleeve in that department.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It sounds fine to me. I love finishing my kills with it. Sooo satisfying.

I dunno I guess I just expected it to sound like a normal bang bang like the previous games. Maybe its just that I suck at getting kills with it...always having to reload because I can't properly line up a headshot. Gotta whine about something. hah

I dunno I guess I just expected it to sound like a normal bang bang like the previous games. Maybe its just that I suck at getting kills with it...always having to reload because I can't properly line up a headshot.

When im out of ammo now i just switch to it instead of reloading and it works great for me.

What's everyones #1 load out so far.
For normal slayer BR, Promethean Vision, Shielding.
For BTB I use DMR instead and Shielding, but I haven't settled on an ability I've found particularly effective yet. PV seems particularly worthless on big maps so definitely not that though.

Very curious to see what combos others are using.

HaloGAF, I need some advice. I've played a few hours of Halo 4 multiplayer and really like it. I suck, but not as bad as I suck at CoD (which I've put probably 100 hours into). So that's good.

My question is, do I need to play the campaigns of ODST and Reach before playing the campaign in Halo 4? I played Halo 3 back in the day but never played the last two. Even though I own them.

Do I need to play those? I kinda want to just skip right to Halo 4 so I can finish the campaign and stay up to date with the Spartan Ops.

Thanks!

darthbob

HaloGAF, I need some advice. I've played a few hours of Halo 4 multiplayer and really like it. I suck, but not as bad as I suck at CoD (which I've put probably 100 hours into). So that's good.

My question is, do I need to play the campaigns of ODST and Reach before playing the campaign in Halo 4? I played Halo 3 back in the day but never played the last two. Even though I own them.

Do I need to play those? I kinda want to just skip right to Halo 4 so I can finish the campaign and stay up to date with the Spartan Ops.

Thanks!

You'd be better off reading the Forerunner books first to be honest.

ODST and Reach campaign's really have little/nothing to do with Halo 4's.

blamite

Thanks!

No, you definitely don't need to. They're both good campaigns but there's nothing story-wise in either that effects Halo 4 in any significant way.

Thanks!

If you want a game that will get u used to Halo4 gameplay, play Reach since it has armor abilities and is very similar gameplay wise in that sense. And its to me one of the best SP along with CE. (havent finished 4 yet)

Thruster Pack is the AA I've been using the most. I use it when myself and my opponent are rushing each other. It usually allows to catch them off guard and get my melee attack in first. It's also useful for bolting into cover quickly when your shields pop. It's been fun coming up with new uses. Dash out of the second floor of bases to dodge rockets, dash in and out of cover. You just have to be creative with it.

Agreed, I love using the Thrusters. Sure it doesn't make you move a whole lot faster. But the extra mobility is key when you need to get the edge on your opponent.

Reaching high ground, dodging Ghosts, sky jacking Banshees, etc. I love it.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
What's everyones #1 load out so far.

Carbine
Magnum
Frag (ugh havnt unlocked plasma)

Shielding
The faster shield recharge thingy
Dexterity (faster reloads)

I think that's it. I'll use the assault rifle at times when it's close combat though. I'll probably get a shitload of mtn dew tonight since I'm only level 13 or so

Top Bottom