• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Badgerst3

Does mp autoscale/select games based on your current level?

I don't play a ton and figure by next week my lowly sr10 will be facing sr40's and up.

QP3

Wow, so I have not purchased a new Xbox game in a while...these things don't even come with manuals anymore, do they?

That is not to bash against Halo 4 in any way...I am liking the game a lot more than I did Reach. And for $60, I will gladly take an enjoyable game over a paper booklet. I was just surprised that they don't even bother anymore...kind of makes me nostalgia-sad.

Canuck76

Banned
Just curious how are the promethean weapons different?

I've only played campaign a bit, but from what i've played weapons are just the same archtypes (sniper, BR, shotgun) i saw something about bouncing shots and secondary fire modes in the OT? How do you do that?

X shows up on your motion sensor where teammates die though, so there's that.

I know, but it's no where near as useful as the big red X. That little X on the radar is hard to even distinguish sometimes..

Thought this as well. Maybe it has it do with people respawning so quick now? I'm not sure.

ha, I can't tell you how many times I've killed people on a map like Haven only to have then be right in my face fighting me again while I'm still regenerating. Gotta retrain my Halo brain with how it plays in 4. You are never safe. lol

I'll say this, I started the campaign last night & the graphics are a huge step up from Spartan Ops & the Multi-player.
I thought people were crazy calling this one of the best looking games ever by just playing the multi, but the single player definitely lives up to the hype graphically.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, so I have not purchased a new Xbox game in a while...these things don't even come with manuals anymore, do they?

That is not to bash against Halo 4 in any way...I am liking the game a lot more than I did Reach. And for $60, I will gladly take an enjoyable game over a paper booklet. I was just surprised that they don't even bother anymore...kind of makes me nostalgia-sad.

Made me sad, too. I miss manuals.

kms_md

That's what I AM using.

It's terrible.

Compare it to Bungie.net where everything is clean and laid out, and not 'loading'.

this - and it does not have my Halo CEA and ODST campaign data (which was there in previous iterations of the waypoint website).

Ein Bear

Blasted through Tsavo Highway on Halo 3 today, just out of curiosity to see how it felt after playing 4.

4's graphics and gameplay are perfect, but damn. I'd not realised how much Marty's music added to the series until it was taken away. The entire level is punctuated with these amazing pieces of music that kick in at just the right time. Then you get half way through the level, you're driving a Warthog, the main Halo theme starts playing and you're like YES.

343 did a great job handling every other aspect of the series, they really did. But the sound design of the Bungie games really did add a lot to the experience.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey guys, can I ask a slightly off-topic question if it'll be acceptable.

You're not recommended to install Halo 3 or ODST to the HDD right? What about Reach and CEmake? Also, does that mean the GoD version of Halo 3 has that issue?

Marco1

You're not recommended to install Halo 3 or ODST to the HDD right? What about Reach and CEmake? Also, does that mean the GoD version of Halo 3 has that issue?

I know they say that but I honestly never had an issue with doing it.
My load times were not that bad to the point that it put me off.

Ein Bear

Actually, they fixed the problem for ODST, so it's just Halo 3 that shouldn't be installed. Every other game in the series is fine, and perform better after an install.

And yeah, the GoD of Halo 3 still suffers from the issue. Kind of cheeky of them to release it in such a state, really.

Stubo

Initial thoughts:

The game is crazy fast paced in multiplayer, not sure if I'm a fan of the 0 respawn time, perhaps it will grow on me.

As a first time player my first 4v4 went reasonably well, but the 2nd game was dominated by a slew of power weapons. Sword, sniper, saw, incineration rifle, railgun and some other instant death machine all in one small map? Is that really necessary?

I'm yet to play the campaign since I'm waiting for my co-op partner to get home from a trip on Friday, but I'm looking forward to that the most.

Edit: Third game much more as I expected it to be, could actually compete with a competent team, it would seem. 14-7-7.

exYle

Just curious how are the promethean weapons different?

I've only played campaign a bit, but from what i've played weapons are just the same archtypes (sniper, BR, shotgun) i saw something about bouncing shots and secondary fire modes in the OT? How do you do that?

All Promethean weapons fit the previously set-up archetypes: AR, BR, Pistol, Shotgun, Sniper, Rocket Launcher. But, some weapons have alternate firing modes, some have something special about the way they fire. I'll summarize for you:

Suppressor: Nothing special about this gun. Point, spray, and pray.
Light Rifle: LITERAL cross between BR and DMR. Out of zoom, the gun shoots 3-shot bursts, and is a 5-shot kill. In zoom, the gun shoots single rounds, and is a 4-shot kill.
Scattershot: No alternate fire mode, but the pellets ricochet off walls.
Boltshot: Regular firing mode acts like a weaker magnum, but if you charge the weapon, it'll fire like a shotgun. Be warned! The shotgun blast discharges by itself after a short while, it is NOT like the Plasma Pistol.
Binary Rifle: No alternate firing mode. The gun is a one-shot kill anywhere on the body. Out of zoom, this gun shoots wildly in a radius larger than the shotgun. In zoom, the gun projects a red laser that telegraphs where you are.
Incineration Cannon: No alternate firing mode. The gun fires a blast that travels in an sine-wave movement. Upon impact, the blast explodes into multiple cluster-grenades.

My neighbor saw my LE Halo 4 Console and went immediately to Amazon to buy one and apparently there's now a 1-2 month wait. Sold out at Gamestop.com as well. Either they didnt make enough, or retailers simply didnt buy enough.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Bollocks, my Halo 4 LE edition Disc 1 is faulty and unreadable about 50% of the time on my 360, the rest of the time it makes one hell of a racket/drive noise.

Does MS have a process of replacement or am I best to go through the retailer, eg. Amazon UK?

Ein Bear

All Promethean weapons fit the previously set-up archetypes: AR, BR, Pistol, Shotgun, Sniper, Rocket Launcher. But, some weapons have alternate firing modes, some have something special about the way they fire. I'll summarize for you:

Suppressor: Nothing special about this gun. Point, spray, and pray.
Light Rifle: LITERAL cross between BR and DMR. Out of zoom, the gun shoots 3-shot bursts, and is a 5-shot kill. In zoom, the gun shoots single rounds, and is a 4-shot kill.
Scattershot: No alternate fire mode, but the pellets ricochet off walls.
Boltshot: Regular firing mode acts like a weaker magnum, but if you charge the weapon, it'll fire like a shotgun. Be warned! The shotgun blast discharges by itself after a short while, it is NOT like the Plasma Pistol.
Binary Rifle: No alternate firing mode. The gun is a one-shot kill anywhere on the body. Out of zoom, this gun shoots wildly in a radius larger than the shotgun. In zoom, the gun projects a red laser that telegraphs where you are.
Incineration Cannon: No alternate firing mode. The gun fires a blast that travels in an sine-wave movement. Upon impact, the blast explodes into multiple cluster-grenades.

Great post, cheers! One more question, but what are the Promethean weapons supposed to be used against? In previous games, the Covenant weapons did more damage to shields, and UNSC weapons did more to health. Where do the Promethean weapons fit in with that?

Bollocks, my Halo 4 LE edition Disc 1 is faulty and unreadable about 50% of the time on my 360, the rest of the time it makes one hell of a racket/drive noise.

Does MS have a process of replacement or am I best to go through the retailer, eg. Amazon UK?

If Amazon UK is anything at all like Amazon US, just go through them. In the US I get replacements the very next day.

feel

My neighbor saw my LE Halo 4 Console and went immediately to Amazon to buy one and apparently there's now a 1-2 month wait. Sold out at Gamestop.com as well. Either they didnt make enough, or retailers simply didnt buy enough.
Or maybe LE means Limited Edition. :p

Is match making completely random...? I'm SR5 and got matched against a team with a SR40

SR is not a true measure of skill. The fact that it put you against a SR40 means nothing. SR is just the accumulation of points. They could have simply played more than you did.

Behind the scenes, the game truly measures your skill (though it doesn't show you) and matches you appropriately. This is not visible from the lobby or anywhere else at this time.

Starting in January (iirc), you'll be able to use Waypoint to check out yours and others' skill ranks.

exYle

Great post, cheers! One more question, but what are the Promethean weapons supposed to be used against? In previous games, the Covenant weapons did more damage to shields, and UNSC weapons did more to health. Where do the Promethean weapons fit in with that?

I think they serve a good balance between the two.

Sec0nd

I love the game so far, it's far better game compared to Halo Reach. I have one issue with the game though and that's the lack of visual feedback.
- I can hardly tell when I kill someone. I see a guy die and 90% of the time I'm unsure if it was my kill or not.
- I can hardly tell when someone is low or no shield.
- I have trouble to identify what kind of weapon my opponent is carrying. Many times I just charged a guy with a shotgun, not knowing he had a shotgun in his hands.
- Too many medal, I have no clue what's going on and what I just did.
- No death markers for fallen teammates.

Everything else is great in this game and it pretty silly that these pretty simple to spot and fix things weren't identified. :(

MrBig

Wow, the framerate really goes to shit in Dominion with its big maps, effects, vehicles, and constant explosions.

Is there no perfection medal any more?

Went 15-0 in ctf and didn't get anything

You only get Perfections in Slayer.

Is there a good way to take over Wraiths? In the past entries, I'd punch slowly with a brief break so I wouldn't blow it up but I tried it last night and the blow that killed the driver blew up the Wraith as well. Trying to get the achievement in Mission 5 or 6.

Top Bottom