• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

7he Talon

50. Which means I am never getting that sweet, sweet Venator helmet :(
It has to be more then 50. I'm almost on the 4th level of the commendation and still haven't got it? I'm pretty sure it's 1000.

Also, does anyone else think the water physics in this game are terrible?

Ein Bear

Anyone know if the Mjolnir Mark V helmet is in this? The Halo 1 suit has always been my favourite design, and I've been rocking that helmet in every Halo that would let me.

nbraun80

I love the game so far, it's far better game compared to Halo Reach. I have one issue with the game though and that's the lack of visual feedback.
- I can hardly tell when I kill someone. I see a guy die and 90% of the time I'm unsure if it was my kill or not.
- I can hardly tell when someone is low or no shield.
- I have trouble to identify what kind of weapon my opponent is carrying. Many times I just charged a guy with a shotgun, not knowing he had a shotgun in his hands.
- Too many medal, I have no clue what's going on and what I just did.
- No death markers for fallen teammates.

Everything else is great in this game and it pretty silly that these pretty simple to spot and fix things weren't identified. :(

um it literally says +10 kill, +5 assist etc in the middle of the screen in white text. Also its quite obvious when a guy has a shield, when you pop it and when it's recharging.

I do hate that as well. I only want to see the damn popup if I can use it.

I think they did it to make it "seem" more like the proverbial carrot that COD dangles to keep players playing and excited.

They make sure the user knows that they are actually progressing by giving them a "YOU JUST UNLOCKED THIS GOOD JOB!" message, the only problem it's literally just a message. You didn't actually unlock anything at all. You can now just VIEW it. They could remove this message and the game would literally remain the same - except more truthful.

I think they did it this way because they thought they can double the amount of carrots without doubling content. Unfortunately no one is that stupid - although the joke could be on me. I might be missing something, but I think its a cheap and nasty way to try to get people excited.

Retro

Finished the campaign on Heroic tonight. Still decompressing but very very good stuff. No story spoilers, of course, but lots of parts I liked and a few that just seemed unnecessary
The QTEs right at the beginning and end, why bother?
. Would like to discuss the story in more depth with someone who's read the books, as there's a few things that felt like they should be significant by the way they were portrayed, but didn't have as much impact because I wasn't in the know. Any volunteers I can PM? (Nevermind, I see there's a story discussion thread)

Edit: Oh yeah,
where were the big, scary fights? The worst I ever had to deal with were lots of Promethean Knights at once, where was stuff like the Scarab, Super-Sentinels and the like that were just imposing as hell? I figured a Forerunner planet would have some crazy Forerunner constructs on it, like the Strato-Sentinel coming up from the earth, but there weren't that many Big Giant Baddies to kill

Went into the game with total media blackout, so various parts were quite awesome to jump into with no prior knowledge (again, nothing story related).
The Mantis, holy shit do I feel like an unstoppable killing machine in that sumbitch. I only wish it could jump but damn is it fun. Also, the Mammoth with the Mini-MAC cannon? Flying around an armored-up Pelican? The Longsword trenchrun across the Didact's ship? Lots of epic vehicle moments. I like the weapons, all of them sound like beasts and the new guns are interesting additions to the sandbox. I wish some of them (Suppressor especially) had something extra to make them more than just "Forerunner version of x", but still pretty good. Forerunner 'nades are kinda meh, too obvious.

Transferred all of my data from my old 8gb hard drive to my new 250gb one, installed Disc 2. Ready to rock some Multiplayer, but first; Forge. See you guys in Wargames in a few hours, days, weeks months. Unless it sucks like I keep hearing / fearing.

I think they did it to make it "seem" more like the proverbial carrot that COD dangles to keep players playing and excited.

They make sure the user knows that they are actually progressing by giving them a "YOU JUST UNLOCKED THIS GOOD JOB!" message, the only problem it's literally just a message. You didn't actually unlock anything at all. You can now just VIEW it. They could remove this message and the game would literally remain the same - except more truthful.

I think they did it this way because they thought they can double the amount of carrots without doubling content. Unfortunately no one is that stupid - although the joke could be on me. I might be missing something, but I think its a cheap and nasty way to try to get people excited.

All it ever does it piss me off. Gets me excited that something cool might have happened only for it to be nothing. I've entirely started ignoring the popups and just check for new things myself every now and again.

Can someone else confirm that the sound mixing is really blown out, or am I just crazy? Like I can barely hear music during the campaign because of dialogue and sound effects.

Can someone else confirm that the sound mixing is really blown out, or am I just crazy? Like I can barely hear music during the campaign because of dialogue and sound effects.

When I listen over my speakers, this seems to be the case sometimes.
When I listen with my Astro mixamp and AD700s, everything is fantastic.

The sound may have been designed with more high quality output in mind and left regular output behind.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Just finished Heroic, I enjoyed it. The last level up to the very end was wonderful. I need to do some replays of levels on Normal to see how I really feel about it, but I don't think it was the best campaign.

Halo 3>ODST>Halo 4>Halo 1>>>>Reach>Halo 2

Halo 4 could easily go under Halo 1 or above ODST, just have to play a bit more.

Tawpgun

I really, honestly want to hear why we don't get red x's over dead teammates anymore.

Like, what lead to this design decision.

Though I disagree with something's, I get why global ordnance is a thing, i get their changes to CTF and the customization loadout thing.

But removal of the red X?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I really, honestly want to hear why we don't get red x's over dead teammates anymore.

Though I disagree with something's, I get why global ordnance is a thing, i get their changes to CTF and the customization loadout thing.

They actually show up on the radar. But I agree.

Yeah, that's just a ridiculous removal.

Oozer3993

It has to be more then 50. I'm almost on the 4th level of the commendation and still haven't got it? I'm pretty sure it's 1000.

Also, does anyone else think the water physics in this game are terrible?

The guide says 50, but I'm pretty sure it's a mistake. It lists 50 as the requirement for Level 4 and Level 5. I'm guessing they meant 100 for mastery at Level 5.

My friends says it is easier then Halo Reach on solo legendary...so no? *shrug*

I found Halo 4 on Heroic to be harder than Reach on Legendary.

IJoel

So far I've played 4 missions, and I'm very impressed with the level of polish and how great the story is being presented. The graphics are simply jaw dropping. Cortana tells me all the time to move on because I spend so much time looking at the environments.

The two things that bother me so far:
1. Everything in mp starts being locked, and
2. Having to get out of the game and into Waypoint to watch Terminal videos.

With all of the new little info bits popping up on the screen, I imagine it would be more easily cluttered.
Since instant respawn is a thing now, things would get cluttered really fast. A single person could have two markers for an extended period of time. One for their dead body, and one for their living player.

Moving the X to the tracker was probably an effort to declutter the HUD in light of their new features.

Okay, just watched the terminals. Very interesting, definitely sheds a clearer light on Halo 4's story. Wonder how Silentium will tie into them.

Also, it's like Davidge composed those Terminals and Vidocs, and 343 just took snippets of those to use in their games.

When I listen over my speakers, this seems to be the case sometimes.
When I listen with my Astro mixamp and AD700s, everything is fantastic.

The sound may have been designed with more high quality output in mind and left regular output behind.

I've tried listening over stereo (I have my Xbox hooked up to pretty decent quality studio monitors) and headphones and it always sounds like a big wash. Is the game just geared for surround?

MrBig

If you're referring to the cinematic music, sfx, and such, yes. Even the raw files on the disc are mightily compressed so there's nothing that can be done about it. It's super noticeable on high quality/monitor headphones. Outside of cinematics it's all fine though.

If you're referring to the cinematic music, sfx, and such, yes. Even the raw files on the disc are mightily compressed so there's nothing that can be done about it. It's super noticeable on high quality headphones.

Oh, yeah, that's a different issue entirely though. I noticed earlier that the compression was awful in spots.

But right now I just mean the mixing. As in, I can barely hear the music or distinguish dialogue sometimes. Everything is turned up to 11.

Anyone else still using the Fishsticks control scheme? The zoom on left trigger is indeed a toggle, right? Every once in a while, I feel like its not a toggle.

Is my mind playing tricks on me? Is my controller broke? Or is it a toggle based upon the amount if pressure applied to the analog trigger?!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh, yeah, that's a different issue entirely though. I noticed earlier that the compression was awful in spots.

But right now I just mean the mixing. As in, I can barely hear the music or distinguish dialogue sometimes. Everything is turned up to 11.
This was happening to me a lot with audio logs in Chapter 7. Had to stand on the console, crouch, and look straight down in order to pick up the audio clearly.

DJ88

Just popping in from my campaign play through to say I'm glad other people are noticing the awful sound mix of the game. I couldn't believe how bad the audio is compressed during cutscenes! The dialogue sounds great, but then sound effects kick in and I feel like I'm listening to a 64kb streaming radio station. I thought to myself, man I hope this isn't just my copy or something, I wonder if it's happening to anyone else and will they even notice it? Good to see others have. It's pretty sad since in past Halo games the audio has always set the bar in sound design. I guess it was just a necessary trade off to fit everything on the disc, but the next Xbox can not come soon enough.

Everything else though has been incredible. MP has been really fun so far, and I'm enjoying the campaign. I still can't be sure how I feel about the story. I've got to finish it and do a couple more play throughs before I'm sure. And what else is there to say about the graphics, just truly unbelievable.

Top Bottom