• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

just beat it today. great journey but WTF at that ending. talk about deflating..

i guess ill read through the spoilers in the last few pages as well as jump over to the story thread. but as much as i loved the campaign that last 20 minutes were definitely a letdown.

ok after two days of playing I am trucking through everything. Game is amazing. Anyone like Vortex?? It never gets voted in so I feel like i'm the only one that absolutely loves that map.

Dunlop

Haven't played Halo since Halo3.

I can't tell if it is because I suck or if the game is harder but the intro on heroic spanked me hard. Wussed out and went to normal :p

From the little I have played 343 has done an epic job, can't wait until I have time this weekend to play more

haikira

Not that there's any lack of impressions, but after completing the campaign and having a day for things to soak in and having played loads of multiplayer, here's a few impressions of mine.

+ Been said to death, but the game looks fantastic and i love the art style too.
+ Soundtrack was fantastic.
+ The story felt more personal and the mo cap and voice work was top notch.
+ Love the new enemy types and weapons.
+ The CoD inspirations introduced to the multiplayer have had a polarizing affect on fans, but i'm a big fan of them and i don't even like CoD multiplayer all that much.
+ Yet again, not something that seems like a unanimous opinion. But i can't express how happy i am that there's mid game player joining now. I was so sick of times when a team would disconnect/leave and i'd be stuck getting destroyed for a full match.

- The audio quality for cutscenes bugged me, as it sounded pretty low bitrate or something. Strangely the voice work sounded fine, just everything else was bad.
- The game took for granted a lot of the player, in terms of how familar they were with the lore.
- I find it hard to articulate this one. But it feels like the game was the first act of a story, rather than the first game of a trilogy. Or another way to word it, while interesting, it felt like the story didn't travel too far.

I had a blast with the campaign and will definitely be returning for harder difficulty modes and coop. I definitely enjoyed the story and the MC and Cortana were great. I obviously had a few nitpicks, but it was still a great thrill ride and i definitely found it very engaging.

About the multiplayer. I have a lot of nostalgia when it comes to 1-3. All felt incredibly revolutionary to me at the time, especially 2 for obvious reasons. They were also around when i was still gaming with a lot of friends locally, that i don't do game with so much. So i don't think subjectively 4 will beat them in that battle. But i do however think 4 is the best multiplayer, but that could just be hype goggles too. I can say without a doubt though, that I've had more fun playing solo online with 4 already than any other Halo.

Boy, that was more wordy that i was planning. Long story short, 343 made an awesome game and i love it =D

rakka

I love the campaign so far but MP is a mess.

Its everything I was afraid of. If there are a couple of hot players on the other team the map gets packed with power weapons. There is no more equal ground at all.

in addition to that i feel that there's way too many powerful automatics in the game.

fuck these noobs being able to double team me and take me down just by spraying the fucking AR.

personal power weapon drop? no more battling it out for the power weapon when it spawns, more importantly keeping a track of where and the time it spawns after?

wallhacks for everyone?

i could go on and on.

Zabka

I was really enjoying this game but Lord in Heaven do I fucking hate the Banshee in the campaign. Hate piloting it and hate fighting it.

Red

Legendary is super easy so far. It seems like headshots are easier to get in this game, and enemies overall seem a lot less mobile than H3/Reach. Elites typically just stand there and let me kill them. Sometimes they take a step or two.

Plasma pistol is fantastic, BR and carbine are headshot machines.

I am starting mission 3. It's almost relaxed so far. I am hoping it gets more difficult.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game feels really different to me. Not better or worse, but different. Controls feel tighter.

jet1911

Just finished the SP. Mission 7 was amazing, mission 8 not so much. Looked good but I grew tired of fighting the Prometheans. Other than that I really liked the whole thing, most of the missions looked absolutely amazing and the combat scenarios were pretty good. Nice job 343, can't wait what you guys can do on the next Xbox. :)

Dominion is where it's at, yo.

Fortifying your base with turrets, getting resupplied power weapons and vehicles while maintaining those bases. Awesome stuff. Autosentry really shines in this mode too.

Legendary is super easy so far. It seems like headshots are easier to get in this game, and enemies overall seem a lot less mobile than H3/Reach. Elites typically just stand there and let me kill them. Sometimes they take a step or two.

Plasma pistol is fantastic, BR and carbine are headshot machines.

I am starting mission 3. It's almost relaxed so far. I am hoping it gets more difficult.

Welp... You asked for it.

GloveSlap

I have an annoying glitch that hopefully gets fixed. I have a special loadout for big team battle that I use in the 2nd loadout slot. So I pick that loadout and hit X to quickly spawn from then on out keeping my selected loadout. Except every once in a while I will hit X to respawn, and it will randomly switch to my first loadout slot for some reason. I have to hit Y after death every time now just to make sure the loadout is correct.

Maybe it is black screen doing it.

Red

This game feels really different to me. Not better or worse, but different. Controls feel tighter.
Felt more twitchy to me. Could be my imagination :p

Still, this is the first time I've lowered sensitivity to 1. Could be my controller. Pretty much all button-press commands (jump, melee, etc) sometimes do not work.

Do we get more emblems for leveling? Because only 11 kind of sucks.

soldat7

fuck these noobs being able to double team me and take me down just by spraying the fucking AR.

How dare they kill you with a gun that shoots lots of bullets!

Just finished the third mission, Forerunner. This game so far is kind of not really all that fun. Doesn't feel all that much like Halo, either.

It's pretty good, but not mind blowing. I think I had more fun in Reach. The Prometheans are just not that fun to fight. And the levels are noisy in a visual sense.

And the graphics are pretty good, but come on. Not a lot mind blowing going on here. Music is dull and forgettable as well.

IJoel

Finally finished the campaign on Heroic earlier today, and loved it. Graphically, and artistically, I haven't been as impressed as I was playing Halo 4. The lighting was simply outstanding, and the art very impressive. Music, and gameplay were great as always, and frame rate was buttery smooth (more so than its prequels, which is impressive considering H4 looks significantly better).

That said, there are things that could be improved:
1. Audio mix: This was all over the place for me. Probably the area with the biggest room for improvement. There seemed to be no balance between music, sound effects, and voiceovers, and one would drown the other at critical times.

2. New Enemy Variety was lacking. I wish there were a few more distinct Prometheans.

3. Weapons were not very original. You had equivalents for DMR, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, Magnum (slightly different with the charging alternate mode), and Assault Rifle. The animations and sounds for these were fantastic though.

4. Story Presentation: No issue whatsoever with the story itself, but it was somewhat confusing, and I think some characters needed more exposition. Not being able to view the terminals in-game was disappointing (people without online connections will miss out on this content, which I think is pretty important in explaining the story).

Overall, it was a superb first effort for 343i. I can't wait for H5 on the next console. Now that 343i has undoubtedly proven themselves, my expectations are sky high.

Elginer

Some more thoughts on campaign: I've really turned around on it. God this game is effin beautiful. Really, amazing art design and graphical work by 343. I cannot wait to see what they with the Xbox 720. I need that shit now!

Interesting story with some great moments campaign wise. I just felt like many have said that things feel a little disjointed, the terminals help a GREAT DEAL but that should be in the game instead of extra stuff. Overall I'm very pleased where the series is going. I can really tell though that the game is struggling with the hardware it's like I can almost feel it creaking and bending to try and get out the studio's vision. They did the best they can do but I feel that a return to bigger sandboxes and the more consistent texture quality of Reach and motion blur would have done wonders. I understand that the hardware simply won't let them. I am literally aching for next-gen hardware at this point.

Fantastic starting point for a trilogy. A few missteps along the way trying to find their legs but a very admirable first step.

EDIT: I did have serious beef with the audio mixing. At some points it's terrible. You can't hear voices over the music and sound effects. They really need to fix that up. The score was nice but I still miss Marty.

It's pretty good, but not mind blowing. I think I had more fun in Reach. The Prometheans are just not that fun to fight. And the levels are noisy in a visual sense.

And the graphics are pretty good, but come on. Not a lot mind blowing going on here. Music is dull and forgettable as well.

Agreeing with the bold points. The Prometheans are an annoyance, and their weapons seem to be completely weak. I don't know, I seem to be alone in not really caring about weapon variety, just give me something fun to shoot. A good balance of range and power. There's not much range on these, and oh so little power. And a good number don't seem to be very accurate. The covenant storm rifle is better, although it has the same spray accuracy.

And the music... doesn't fit. At least the third level. I played the first two missions last night, and I truthfully don't recall what I thought of the music then. So I suppose I agree with the "forgettable" assessment. I like the start screen music, at least.

And what's the deal with B to crouch? :/

Red

Halo 3 had better lighting. I'm not as impressed with 4's.
I'm torn. I think it looks great at times, but often it's a smear of overblown sci fi lights. I'm reminded of Crysis 2.

I'm enjoying it, but there are some things that bother me. Like in level one, fighting grey enemies against a grey background... Why? I was staring at walls for seconds at a time waiting for a little bit of movement to tell me what to aim at. Jackal snipers have also taken a step back toward H2-levels of frustration, being much more difficult to pick out from the environment.

Music is awesome though. I was lukewarm on the OST before playing the game, but hearing it in context is something else.

I am continually impressed by the visuals.

zeeaykay

I think the biggest issue with the music was simply the lack of being able to hear it. The few times it really kicked in I enjoyed it-- mostly during the last mission is when they actually let it be heard. There were some epic moments, like the first time in the scorpion tank, where I could barely hear the music at all.

I think people may be confusing dull music with quiet music. Then again I couldn't hear it most of the time anyways so I can't even say with authority the music wasn't dull.

7he Talon

Almost every helmet in this game has barely any visor visible.

Also, does anyone know when you unlock the Phoenix emblem?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just started the campaign here, and while dutifully impressed by the graphics, art direction, mo-cap, etc, one thing is sticking in my craw:

Cortana's voice direction is so bizarrely haphazard.

She just sounds all over the top in tone and inflection, and emotion, during in-battle chatter. Then gets all serious and reflective during cut scenes relating to her... situation.

It's actually distracting from the story scenario, the way she's all gung ho during play. They just crashed on an unknown world, are fighting scary new enemies, don't know what's going on, are desperately trying to get rescued, etc.

Otherwise, still plugging away.

Sanic

How did they get the (minor story spoilers I guess)
Didact sphere
to be so, well, spherical? I find it hard to believe they're just using a massive amount of polygons. Gotta be something else going on there?

StuBurns

Banned
I played a multiplayer match earlier. I've not played Halo online since 3, and only barely then, I was really pleased to be placed in a nice skill range for inexperienced, sucky players such as myself, and it's very fun, I won't stick with it, as I haven't with any competitive multiplayer since CoD4, but I enjoyed it, and will no doubt play more.

Are there are only three Infinity Slayer maps?

Grisby

So I didn't like mission 6 that much. Mission 7 though, man the game ramped up. Freaking great.

Also, er, some of my emblems disappeared. What's up with that?

Lingitiz

I played a multiplayer match earlier. I've not played Halo online since 3, and only barely then, I was really pleased to be placed in a nice skill range for inexperienced, sucky players such as myself, and it's very fun, I won't stick with it, as I haven't with any competitive multiplayer since CoD4, but I enjoyed it, and will no doubt play more.

Are there are only three Infinity Slayer maps?

I think there's only Solace, Complex, Haven, and Adrift in that playlist.

Just started the campaign here, and while dutifully impressed by the graphics, art direction, mo-cap, etc, one thing is sticking in my craw:

Cortana's voice direction is so bizarrely haphazard.

She just sounds all over the top in tone and inflection, and emotion, during in-battle chatter. Then gets all serious and reflective during cut scenes relating to her... situation.

It's actually distracting from the story scenario, the way she's all gung ho during play. They just crashed on an unknown world, are fighting scary new enemies, don't know what's going on, are desperately trying to get rescued, etc.

Otherwise, still plugging away.

Keep playing.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
How hard is it for Spartan Ops to match up 4 people?

I would rather wait an extra minute than it keep putting me in a game with one other person. :(

Amazing looking game. Heroic is kicking my ass but I've played them all on Heroic so I have to tough it out. Not sure what level I'm on, mission select still just says Requiem when I select that and not continue.

So good looking though, I can't get over how detailed everything looks. I'm actually enjoying the enemy weapons too more than any other Halo.

7he Talon

Biggest letdown graphically is the water. The look and the physics are just not up there with the other Halo's, especially Halo 4.

raven777

just got it today and played for about 3 hours.

The visuals are truly amazing. I played Halo 3 when it came out and Reach last December. The visuals are not even comparable. Not only is it better technically, but I also prefer the new art style. Cortana looks so much better.

I heard that they recorded the all the sounds of guns and vehicles again, and I could tell right away. The gun sound so much better than the past.

The only problem I had was there were some sections where the game kept freezing for a second. I don't know if its my 360's problem or game disc's problem. I did install the game.

Top Bottom