• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

So strange to see a 16 player game on a large map and yet have it so quiet. The middle of the maps are dead. More than any other Halo game people know it's a quick death out there. =/

panda21

is there an option to set what kind of players you want to play with in MP? Reach had that and I thought it worked quite well but i cant find it here

Sojgat

Ugh, I haven't played much multi yet but this is what I was worried about. I even hate using the DMR, it's just not fun at all.

I've been using the suppressor with some good results on tighter maps. Even though it's weak and the spread gets worse the longer you hold the trigger, it has a 50 round mag. For the way I play it works for me, I can take down two guys consistently with it, while with the AR I feel like I'm always running out of rounds just before they die.

Loving this so much but the lighting on Ragnarok seems off. Hard to explain but seems to bright.

I agree, I also found this with some areas in the campaign. It's not just off in the distance in large open areas, but some tight corridors as well. I'd turn the brightness down and then they'd look right, strobing lighting just popped better. Then I'd move on to the next section and not be able to see anything because it was too dark. It probably has something to do with how they optimised the game to run so well, but sometimes it just doesn't look natural too me.

So how does one get weapon skins?

One pre-orders from certain outlets or levels up in different specializations

Future

Not sure how I feel about these new enemies. Skimming through this thread no one else seems to be having any issues so maybe it's just me. But the knights seem like bullet sponges and the little flying guys can take so many hits its ridiculous. New weapons seem like a joke against them and I'm always running out of ammo. Get near them and their melee is super strong, they don't take reactions when getting shot, just a pain in the ass all around compared to the covenant

sorry if this is a dumb question, i dont have it unlocked yet, can anyone confirm the grenade perk that does more damage works for stickies and not just frags? very underpowered in this game but i guess thats a good thing

Jarmel

Banned
Not sure how I feel about these new enemies. Skimming through this thread no one else seems to be having any issues so maybe it's just me. But the knights seem like bullet sponges and the little flying guys can take so many hits its ridiculous. New weapons seem like a joke against them and I'm always running out of ammo. Get near them and their melee is super strong, they don't take reactions when getting shot, just a pain in the ass all around compared to the covenant
They are bullet sponges at a distance, but grab the Scattershot and ruin their shit upclose.

Sojgat

Is the DMR's slight bloom cosmetic, or does it actually affect bullet spread?

It's greatly reduced from Reach, but it does affect spread at mid-long distance after multiple shots. If not for this the weapon would be outright broken, and there would be no reason to ever use anything else.

madmackem

The usa bias in the hosting has made it over from previous halos, team full of people within 4 miles of each other in my party with a 80/20 mb connection and zero jitter and great ping line and it give the host to an american on the other side. Pretty annoying to say the least.

The usa bias in the hosting has made it over from previous halos, team full of people within 4 miles of each other in my party with a 80/20 mb connection and zero jitter and great ping line and it give the host to an american on the other side. Pretty annoying to say the least.

That is a bummer. Where are you located?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How do old Halo fans in here feel about the new changes to the multiplayer? Are you guys embracing them or are you a little put off by them?

Seems to me like people who previously didn't like Halo multiplayer are having a much better time with this one while older fans aren't feeling all that great about it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
the vision thing hasnt bothered me too much because as soon as someone moves they show up on your radar anyway, and it even tells u if there above or below aswell

panda21

i can't believe they took out armour lock

trolling ghosts was so much fun, I spend whole matches just trying to taunt ghosts into boosting into me

Jex

I've never been that enamoured with the Halo lore but, after the course the story has taken in this game (and presumably the books) it's gone really downhill. I'm not a fan of all the fantasy/sci-fi cliches that they've decided to embrace this time around.

Sojgat

the vision thing hasnt bothered me too much because as soon as someone moves they show up on your radar anyway, and it even tells u if there above or below aswell

I always use it on Solace, you can see other players standing on the opposite platform through the energy beam.

Hargenx

Played my first 5 matches today, just AMAZING, lose 4(LOL) but is fun how my team look in the top till the very end when the enemy team take the lead and win. LOL

ironcreed

Banned
Is anything being claimed as "cheap" or "overpowered"? My friend said the BR was but he's a sissy.

I am starting to prefer the battle rifle to the DMR, but hardly find it overpowered. Still readily get my ass handed to me by people who are just flat out better, despite what they use.

REV 09

How do old Halo fans in here feel about the new changes to the multiplayer? Are you guys embracing them or are you a little put off by them?

Seems to me like people who previously didn't like Halo multiplayer are having a much better time with this one while older fans aren't feeling all that great about it.

i haven't seem many people genuinely let down by the mp. i'm sure they're out there, but after Reach, most see this as a big improvement. even if some don't like the changes, most are still having a great time with it.

see5harp

Is anything being claimed as "cheap" or "overpowered"? My friend said the BR was but he's a sissy.

I will say that if you are rolling with a team and you are in a close quarters level it can be beneficial to have a "tank" class with the health drop and assault rifle. When someone is close to you with the assault rifle it's really hard to win. It seems like the overcharged plasma pistol doesn't track people as effectively.

Going to ask again--is there any reason to stock up on spartan points in MP? Are there any unlocks later on that will cost, say 10sp? Or are the unlocks I see now the only ones I can use the points on?

IronRinn

At about 11 hours into my first solo playthrough on Legendary. Just got to the first section of Chapter 6
where you're on the gondola and have to knock out a generator; fist of 3, apparently
. I'm enjoying it but I am still unable to consistently deal with the Prometheans effectively — specifically the Knights. I just do not like getting up close on enemies in the Halo games, but a ranged strategy is no strategy at all with them. Gonna have to break myself of that.

But, as I said, I've been enjoying it. I've mired myself pretty deep in the extended fiction, so I'm finding the story beats they're filling in here to be pretty enjoyable. Have been surprised here and there by some of the characters that make appearances. I think my only gripe would be that Chief (and Cortana for that matter) are never really surprised by anything, along with the fact that they don't seem to need an introduction to any new person they meet, despite being MIA for years.

NH Apache

Banned
Really enjoyed the Campaign. Really enjoyed Spartan Ops Co-op Episode. I think I may play through it again.

Played some BTB and seriously mopped up. Dat DMR. I started getting used to the drops and stuff and it was really fun. On Valhalla, (shit they call it Ragnarok now) it's almost not advantageous to be in a vehicle or mech. So, so much can kill you, especially with sprint, Spartans can run right at you and hold X. The only vehicle that seemed dangerous was the banshee. I was dumping DMR rounds into it and causing almost no damage.

Any tips for taking out Banshees?

Going to ask again--is there any reason to stock up on spartan points in MP? Are there any unlocks later on that will cost, say 10sp? Or are the unlocks I see now the only ones I can use the points on?

I would like to know this as well.

Oh my GAWT, scripted as DANG, but (Chapter 3)
that fucking Ghost escape run!!!!!

My jaw was on the floor the entire time and there were several points where I literally yelped "AAAAA!!" to an empty room.

Amazing.

Rev3rb

I would like to know this as well.

halo4chart.png

jet1911

Oh my GAWT, scripted as DANG, but (Chapter 3)
that fucking Ghost escape run!!!!!

My jaw was on the floor the entire time and there were several points where I literally yelped "AAAAA!!" to an empty room.

Amazing.

Now try that with with 3 other people in co-op. Total clusterfuck. :p

If Reach hadn't existed, I'd probably be slightly disappointed with the multiplayer. The loadouts, perks and armour abilities don't really bother me though because the core gameplay is a huge improvement over Reach.
There are problems with the multiplayer, but they'll hopefully be fixed over time (playlist changes mainly right now for me).

Top Bottom