• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
because the radar really shows whether they died below / above you, right?

oh yeah and they fucked with the radar as well. diamonds with little arrows below or above them instead of clear ass triangles / circles / light circle . a step backward lol.

Should be able to tell, how many maps have spots where the death could be equally above or below you? The new one requires you to be a bit more aware of your surroundings, which I like. And the new radar is much easier to read than Reach's.

Jarmel

Banned
Played a guy yesterday on Haven who was a beast with the AR partly because of how aggressively he played the map and how often he would catch DMR users in between shots.

I played all of last night and the players who had the AR were getting destroyed because by the time they got close enough to be effective, their shields were already down or they were dead.

The BR can be effective at medium but it definitely becomes more a skill comparison issue.

Scratch

Anybody have any vague, general tips for getting better? I've never really played a shooter online regularly and I'd like to improve. Probably just practice? Any general rules about corners and/or patience I should know?

don't sprint toward enemies unless you intend to pummel them. i usually don't sprint in the open in general, unless i'm going between cover. the time it takes you to raise up your weapon from sprinting usually means you've lost whatever head to head you're going into.

watch your motion sensor from time to time to make sure you don't get flanked or anything

a lot of it is standard and you'll probably get it within a couple of days/weeks

best thing to remember when you die is FISH.

Fuck It Shit Happens

Sojgat

Anybody have any vague, general tips for getting better? I've never really played a shooter online regularly and I'd like to improve. Probably just practice? Any general rules about corners and/or patience I should know?

Keep an eye on your radar and watch your back.
Learn the map layout.
Don't just run all over the place, work out where the other players are first.
When using full auto weapons try to close the gap and use melee.
Strafe around to throw off aim in a head-on duel.

rakka

Should be able to tell, how many maps have spots where the death could be equally above or below you? The new one requires you to be a bit more aware of your surroundings, which I like. And the new radar is much easier to read than Reach's.
oh give me a break. you don't even need good situational awareness in this game now with promethean wall hack.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
oh give me a break. you don't even need good situational awareness in this game now with promethean wall hack.
So use that if you want to know where to avenge your allies? Your complaints are starting to contradict each other.

Cross-post from the other thread...

My short thoughts on each mode so far:

Campaign: It's pretty and it's short, with a few interesting bits. Prometheans aren't as fun to fight as I thought they'd be. I am left confused at the story by not reading the books, but apparently the Terminals explain a bit more so I will watch those when I find them all.

War Games: Best MP since Halo 3. I'm enjoying most of the modes so far. Only thing I think is a little weird are the random Ordnance drops. All of a sudden, a Binary Rifle! In a totally random part of the map, but ok.

Spartan Ops: I see this mode having tons of potential, but it's not quite there yet. I enjoy the cutscenes, and they look amazing.

Forge: Lighting makes a huge difference and I can't wait to see what comes out of it. Lack of zoom is lame, but I'll manage. Copy/Paste Forge pieces from Reach shows laziness, in my opinion.

Overall: I'm very pleased with this game. Sure, some things need to be ironed out, but as the package stands now, it's the best Halo experience I've had since Halo 3.

rakka

So use that if you want to know where to avenge your allies? Your complaints are starting to contradict each other.
no they're not. they're pretty much showing that yes, things were changed around for no reason at all.

I liked the death marker. it was useful. sure promethean vision makes up for that, but fuck it overdoes it while doing so. its fuckjng cheap and you can barely get the jump on noobs now that they have X-ray vision haha

Anyone here use Fishstick? Zoom is on the left trigger, but I don't know how to scope further in on the sniper rifles. Anyone know how to make this happen?

zethren

Banned
Just got to the end of Mission 4
Can someone explain who/what the Didact is and what happens after you "release" him? I was missing pretty much all of what he was saying because of the hissing and I tried to turn the CC's on and restart from my last save but it actually jumped me forward to the next cut scene. The hell did I miss?

The Didact is essentially the military leader of the Forerunner. He is of the Warrior Servent caste. His wife is The Librarian, essentially the master Lifeworker of the Lifeworker caste. The Didact fought against ancient humans in a massive galactic conflict, and basically kicked our asses back to the Stone Age.

So, he has a massive distrust in the destructive potential of the human species. Seeing how far along we have come, and have yet to "reclaim" the Mantle, which is the philosophical ground behind the Forerunner saying that all life is sacred and the species who guards the Mantle must uphold it by tending and preserving life in the galaxy (basically), the Didact wants to prevent us from becoming a threat once again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

- Don't stand in one place for extended periods of time
- If you're playing a team game, move with your team
- Know when to retreat. You don't need to finish every encounter, especially if you're not sure you can win. If you can't, either back out of the situation as quickly as possible, or find cover and flank.
- It's always good to know lines of sight on a map. Know what areas of your side of the map the other team can see, even from a distance. Identify those zones and don't spend too much time in them, especially if it can be viewed from multiple angles. This will allow you to minimize sniper and laser harassment.
- Don't be hard on yourself if you have a bad game. Treat it as a learning experience. Halo has a theater mode, and it's really helpful to watch film of your last game to see where your blind spots are, and how you can learn. The kill cam in game is useful, but it's invaluable to have that third person perspective to see what exactly you missed during that encounter.

So, is this the best looking 360 title, or what? Just wow. I finally got around to playing the campaign last night. Looks crazy good. Like, Killzone 3 good. I think it might be on par with Killzone 3.

Anyone here use Fishstick? Zoom is on the left trigger, but I don't know how to scope further in on the sniper rifles. Anyone know how to make this happen?

My buddy who plays a lot of COD uses it. I think if you just tap it then it toggles, but if you hold it then it works like it would in other ADS games. So just tap it twice to zoom in further.

ShogunX

I played all of last night and the players who had the AR were getting destroyed because by the time they got close enough to be effective, their shields were already down or they were dead.

The BR can be effective at medium but it definitely becomes more a skill comparison issue.

No doubt it all comes down to the players skill but if you play smart and pick your fights with the AR you can definitely give people a big shock. Same thing with the SAW - Seen a lot of people tear shit up with that beast as it seems to just shred shields.

Also what is everyone's most satisfying weapon to get a kill with?

Pulled off a few long range Railgun kills yesterday it's very satisfying.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I like that they upped the cap to 5 and sped the game up. They should enable classic cap the flag as a game type in the playlist though.

Classic CTF will probably really show how dumb it is that you can't drop the flag when you run over it.

Railgun, binary rifle, scattershot. Light rifle is the most satisfying primary for me, and boltshot is the most satisfying pistol. So basically i'm really digging the feel of the promethian weapons.

Jarmel

Banned
No doubt it all comes down to the players skill but if you play smart and pick your fights with the AR you can definitely give people a big shock. Same thing with the SAW - Seen a lot of people tear shit up with that beast as it seems to just shred shields.

The SAW is a power weapon though. Nothing other than a shotgun comes close to it on short or medium encounters. That said, the AR can easily get outclassed by the Suppresor in close range and gets wrecked by the BR or DMR at a distance.

Okay I've bought it because it was on special offer.

I didn't like Halo one (was a medicore shooter to me)
I kinda liked Halo 2
I HATED Halo 3 (boring as hell)
I never played Reach or ODST

But: I never tried the MP ( no XBL Gold)

This time I have XBL gold but I'm not sure if I will like this game.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

I've never ever ever never ever and will never say to myself "Wow, that guy with the AR is really good"

Because it's never the case. If you use the AR on purpose, you're trying to camp, or you're dumb.

People are saying the BR is better than the DMR at medium range, I am also not finding that the case. Even if it were, it's not worth picking up over the DMR because you're limiting yourself to that medium range. The spread and 5sk for the BR is killin it. The DMR never misses a bullet when my crosshair is on someone.

I kinda liked Halo 2

Be patient and deal with frustation.

ShogunX

I kinda liked Halo 2

Sounds like you may be in for a rough ride. Just try and stick with the MP though because once you get the hang of it it's probably the most rewarding shooter on consoles.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

I kinda liked Halo 2

I... I... uh... what?

How can anyone dislike 1 and 3 yet like 2?

rakka

I kinda liked Halo 2

campaign plays and looks great, bit short though.

also you'll probably enjoy halo 4 mp if you haven't come from playing the previous games online.

Sojgat

Agree with you about the Railgun that thing is super satisfying. I was thinking of going with the specailization that lets you respin your Ordinance drop so I could use it more, but that Rogue armor just looks too cool.

I've never ever ever never ever and will never say to myself "Wow, that guy with the AR is really good"

Because it's never the case. If you use the AR on purpose, you're trying to camp, or you're dumb.

People are saying the BR is better than the DMR at medium range, I am also not finding that the case. Even if it were, it's not worth picking up over the DMR because you're limiting yourself to that medium range. The spread and 5sk for the BR is killin it. The DMR never misses a bullet when my crosshair is on someone.

Does standing back until the other players weaken each other then getting a triple kill fall into the camping or dumb categories? It's pretty useless in team games though.

I don't see how the AR is overpowered.

It isn't.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I kinda liked Halo 2

It doesn't sound like you like Halo. You basically hate two of the best games in the series.

Hopefully you'll like Halo 4, though.

rakka

It isn't.

it requires almost no skill to aim, and it can take a player down at short range a lot quicker than it could in reach. less skillful players who can't use the dmr and br for shit can now get more kills than they could it reach. skill gap has effectively become smaller.

now I don't know how you'd define overpowered, but that's how I would.

Pavaloo

That's only in short range scenarios though, the AR doesn't stand a chance against the BR or DMR otherwise. I like its balance now, it's actually useful.

def sim

I don't ever use the AR, but I'm glad they've made it more effective. It was always so silly for a pistol (Halo 1) or BR (2 and up) to be objectively better in any situation.

I'm trying to download the Mountain Dew Halo 4 commercials off of Youtube, but the usual sites and extensions don't work. I need the video for a school project.

zethren

Banned
it requires almost no skill to aim, and it can take a player down at short range a lot quicker than it could in reach. less skillful players who can't use the dmr and br for shit can now get more kills than they could it reach. skill gap has effectively become smaller.

It's not overpowered, it's called weapon balance. At mid to long range AR users get destroyed by BRs and DMRs.

At close range, the AR is very effective.

That's the way things SHOULD be.

Sojgat

I disagree with DMR being OP, the lightrifle is just as good.

It's not as strong unzoomed, making it weaker overall.

Regicide sucks. didn't know it was actually replacing FFA

I like it, but the game should have both.

it requires almost no skill to aim, and it can take a player down at short range a lot quicker than it could in reach. less skillful players who can't use the dmr and br for shit can now get more kills than they could it reach. skill gap is smaller.

It's for shit at mid-long range, and how is an unskilled player going to close the gap on skilled ones all using DMRs?

Here is my ordinary Spartan:

fullbody.png

Top Bottom