• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

ParityBit

Are there any deals for Xbox live gold cards out there? I have a friend who always refused to join the army but is now interested for a "decent" price. I know Black Friday stuff is coming up, etc so I wanted to know if anyone has some suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Lothars

I dont know how much more it has to be spelled out. Armor Lock brought engagements in an action FPS multiplayer game completely to a mid-battlefield standstill hault - Vision makes wall hacks legal. Both unnecessary. Both stupid.
It doesn't have to be spelled out how wrong you are.
I just accept it and move on that they are both overblown and it's not that bad at all.

Dyno

Only got through the first chapter last night but man oh man the quality just shines through! It looks amazing and feels wonderful. The sound is excellent and the gun vibration has outstanding. Each gun really feels different when fired! I love the AR right off the bat and have no problem hip-firing such a steady workhorse of a weapon. Needler is even more boss!

Plus, I gotta say, it's a real pleasure to see the Master Chief wake up happy and all chatty. It's nice that Cortana's emotional tank is filled and she's not freaking out or glichy. I'm glad they ditched the darkness that pervaded the series. Right from the get-go this just feels like a fun romp with friends!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
DMR should not be 4 hit kill, no way, it's way too powerful compared to most other weapons and you can quite easily out snipe a sniper with it.

It's a shame because I can't see 343 changing it now that it's in the game and being sold, it's like a reverse of the plasma repeater in reach where bungie left it gimped beyond belief like it never existed.

Please adjust the DMR in some way :(

It's definitely 5 shots.

our first halo night was awesome & we have a lot of fun *the picture before my friends came to my house*

sMssL.jpg

You sit quite far away from a tv of that size :eek:

Naked Lunch

Also, am I missing something with the "rocket boost" or whatever that perk is? I hit LB and it propels me forward for about a second, and then dies. What use is that? I figured I must be doing something wrong, or else I really want those 2 points back to spend on something else.
It brings a boosting gameplay element from mech games like Armore Core to Halo. I think its pretty neat. Would be nice if it had a bit more range and speed though. Also maybe a quicker recharge time.

You can boost in any direction. Use it to boost to cover - or during firefights, boost to the side at the last second to throw off your opponent's aim and give you the upper hand. You can also boost in the air. Also since you cannot sprint backwards on a dime - you can use it to boost backwards. As an example: this is useful to secure the center Laser on Ragnarok - grab it and boost backwards back down the hill.

It doesn't have to be spelled out how wrong you are.
...yeah, ok. It doesnt do the two things I listed at all. Carry on.

Dunlop

Are there any deals for Xbox live gold cards out there? I have a friend who always refused to join the army but is now interested for a "decent" price. I know Black Friday stuff is coming up, etc so I wanted to know if anyone has some suggestions for me?

Thanks!

My Halo4 came with a 2 week trial for Gold, I am assuming everyone's does. I won't be home until at least midnight tonight or I would just PM you the code

DMR should not be 4 hit kill, no way, it's way too powerful compared to most other weapons and you can quite easily out snipe a sniper with it.

It's a shame because I can't see 343 changing it now that it's in the game and being sold, it's like a reverse of the plasma repeater in reach where bungie left it gimped beyond belief like it never existed.

Please adjust the DMR in some way :(

DMR is fine. You'll adjust to how it works, and either out gun it or work around it. BR seems to be the most popular rifle now and I've been outgunned by it. DMR is a good long range weapon. Work that disadvantage or advantage to your liking. You have to make the levels work for you and your weapons. Not the other way around. Adjust your strategy. I do.

LTTP here, but...

dis game is gud.

Movement feels so crisp and fluid compared to Reach (or even H3), weapons have a great feel and they nailed the vehicular combat. I'm probably the only one on earth who misses bloom, but I kind of do. Also, I'm loving the seperate Objective playlists. CTF is so much fun, especially you don't have things like medi bubble shields shitting it up. Anywho, meant to play for an hour last night, then it was 3AM. Nice work 343.

PS. Please stop starting a game when it's 5 vs. 2 thank you.

DMR is fine. You'll adjust to how it works, and either out gun it or work around it. BR seems to be the most popular rifle now and I've been outgunned by it. DMR is a good long range weapon. Work that disadvantage or advantage to your liking. You have to make the levels work for you and your weapons. Not the other way around. Adjust your strategy. I do.

I know where you are coming from but that gun is flat out OP, I play big team mostly and nearly everyone I pair with uses it to kill, maybe i'm just unlucky and get paired with teh proz

Up close without zoom it seems to be better then a BR also from using it myself, I just don't like it and I think it kills slightly too quick given it's usefulness at all ranges.

I am so ass at this game right now. Back in Reach I exclusively play SWAT and I almost always go positive/top of scoreboard, but playing Slayer is just a nightmare, every time I get the upper hand in an one-on-one situation, 2 more guys will pop up from no where and just eviscerate me. On one hand, this is a good thing, because it encourages teammates to stick together and support each other like an actual team, but on the other hand, for people without a mic like me it becomes very difficult to even go positive without playing very conservatively.

I'm sure I'll get better if I stick to it, but yeah, it's pretty hard to adjust right now.

only thing I'm annoyed with in MP is consistently going into Regicide matches that are already in play and with a guy who has a signifcant lead..

stop that shit

And where is my traditional FFA playlist? WTF

.GqueB.

Banned
Just got to the end of Mission 4. Question:
Can someone explain who/what the Didact is and what happens after you "release" him? I was missing pretty much all of what he was saying because of the hissing and I tried to turn the CC's on and restart from my last save but it actually jumped me forward to the next cut scene. The hell did I miss?

Proc

I know I'm just echoing the sentiments of many others in this thread but I really think 343 did a bang up job. I'm very happy with my purchase and the game has put a grin on my face numerous times. I bought the LE and I'm glad I did. I can't wait to play more of it. The sound and graphics are great and the motion of the gameplay just feels so tight. Its rare these days that I'm this excited to play my Xbox 360. This franchise is in great hands.

Deadly

What's with the whining about the DMR? It seems to be about the same as it was in Reach. Plus everyone has access to it so it just ends up being a game of skill...

PhatSaqs

Banned
Not sure how far I am
Just started fighting Prometheans?
but this is shaping up to be the best Halo ever IMO. Gorgeous game and awesome gunplay. Loving every goddamn second of it. Heroic is plenty challenging as well. Bows to 343.

REV 09

is it too early to say "thanks" for making the armor abilities balanced this time? They all feel good, but not too good...except thrusters are a little weak. I don't think PV is overpowered at all. Some may complain that it's a hack, but i don't see it any more a hack than going invis or sending a hologram out. The hologram is damn tricky in this game too; i and others keep falling for it.

Regen is nice, but doesn't do much if you're still getting shot and can even be used by enemies. The Light Shield is badass, but goes down in a few shots, doesn't protect from all sides, and doesn't recharge your shields while up....overall much better than armor lock.

Sojgat

The problem with the DMR is that it's almost too good.

It wouldn't be so bad if full auto weapons like the AR had bigger mags/were slightly more effective at close range. DMR just trumps everything, it might as well be the CE pistol. Every game I play almost everyone is using a DMR.

It wouldn't be so bad if full auto weapons like the AR had bigger mags/were slightly more effective at close range. DMR just trumps everything, it might as well be the CE pistol. Every game I play almost everyone is using a DMR.

Ugh, I haven't played much multi yet but this is what I was worried about. I even hate using the DMR, it's just not fun at all.

Is anyone else having problems getting Halo Waypoint running on their console? Every time I try to boot it up from inside Halo 4 it goes to a black screen, my disc drive starts spinning, and my 360 crashes. Not sure if there's a fix for this.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is anyone else having problems getting Halo Waypoint running on their console? Every time I try to boot it up from inside Halo 4 it goes to a black screen, my disc drive starts spinning, and my 360 crashes. Not sure if there's a fix for this.

Nope. Same for me. Only way I can get to Waypoint is through Recent or from the Dashboard. The link in Halo 4 never works.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anyone have one of the pre order skins up for trade (Walmart)? I can offer up FutureShop (Canada) Gungir Pulse.

I figured I'd post this here too:
So I've made a list of my ideal gameplay balance changes. It's not that I won't love the game unless they do these, this is just how I personally think the game could be greatly improved. Sorry, this wasn't written in a very flavorful manner.

Weapon balance:
-DMR can stay the same; it's the other primary weapons that need a little something extra injected into them.
-BR should either slightly increase fire rate or decrease it and make it a 4 shot kill. I say increase it a little because LR is 4 shot already, plus a closer range 4 shot primary may be a little unfair because it would be easy to land all 4 shots in closer quarter combat.
-LR is nearly perfect, but I say up the fire rate a hair to make it on par with the DMR.
-Carbine is better than 3's carbine, but I still think it should take one less shot. Because it takes more shots than the other longer range primaries, that means it requires more precision. As it is right now, I would functionally choose BR over carbine everytime.
-Assault rifle is powerful, but I think it's fine. 50 feet or more and the longer range weapons win everytime.
I haven't really used any other primaries very much so I can't say anything.
-Magnum should be 5sk.
-boltshot is perfect.
-plasma pistol is fine.

Power weapons:
-SAW is really fun but definitely decrease the amount of ammo you get, and possibly the magazine size.
-Needler is also fun, but a little too powerful. Make it slightly less magnetic. In previous Halos if an opponent was strafing correctly away they could avoid the needles, now it doesn't matter at all, its point till red, then kill (very quick kill too). You should have to juke your way to a kill like in previous iterations, thats what made it require some skill.
-Incineration cannon and rocket launcher are too strong. The stuff that bounces after the initial explosion shouldn't do so much damage. I haven't missed with either of these weapons yet. They can be powerful, but the radius and therefore lack of required accuracy is silly. Go back to the power of the Halo 3 launcher (and possibly keep the increased velocity to account for sprint).
-Shotgun is near perfect.
-Scattershot is possibly slightly overpowered but I really like it the way it is.
-Sniper is good
-Beam is too good, but I can deal with it.
-I actually like the Binary rifle, it's too powerful but the magazine size and the rarity factor make it okay to me.
-The Hammer is okay, but what happened to the opponent's body flying 100 feet every time? Most the time they just smack into the ground now, no fun!
-Concussion rifle is okay but was somehow cooler in Reach.
-The sword is pretty much right on.
-Sticky detonator is pretty good...make the range with grenades similar!
-Railgun is awesome the way it is.
-Laser is not too much of a problem.

-I think all grenade types need increased damage radius. It's crazy how you can get 3 shots on a guy, throw a grenade 5 feet away from him and have him survive. Promethian grenades would benefit from a bigger radius because they would then be able to actually block hallways/paths.

AA balance:
-Jetpack isn't actually that bad. It still ignores the map flow, but it also makes the player more vulnerable. I still think its kinda silly, but I can deal with it unlike in Reach.
-Hardlight shield is fine.
-Thruster is fine, even though other people seem to think it's weak. It's my go to AA and I'm constantly evading danger. Only thing I wish was that it was in first person.
-Hologram is nice.
-Regen is nice, not overpowered, not underpowered; just enough to get your shield back without being invincible.
-Active camo is another one I think is pointless, I see kill cams of people who use it and they're just standing there, waiting. It won't get you that many kills.
-Auto Sentry seems fine.
-PV is cheap, but close watch of the radar keeps it in check (in infinity at least).

I don't have many complaints about tactical packages. I would always either use mobility, shielding or grenadier, but I think they all have their place.

Same thing with support upgrades pretty much; I only use dexterity and have little reason to use anything else. However, I say get rid of the explosives one though, because grenades should be more useful for everyone. Something normally so paramount to gameplay in previous Halos should not feel like its nerfed for everyone except for the person that chooses it as an upgrade.

The vehicles are okay, but I think they are too prominent right now. Make them all more vulnerable to non-power weapons. Oh, but get rid of the scorpion, it's just stupid and takes up room. I also hope maps like exile and ragnorok will be in regular infinity playlists without so many damn vehicles.

Sorry if that was a boring read, I was just listing what came to mind. Let me know what you think.

edit: I don't like the changes to the radar. It looks like the range has been increased, and I don't care for the red arrows pointing where someone is outside of the radar.

Plasma

Banned
How did they manage to ruin CTF? One of my favourite modes from past Halo games and the rule changes have really messed it up. They ruined any tactical aspect of attacking and defending by letting you score when the flag isn't at your base. If you used to go on the offensive it was a risk as it left your base open and you wouldn't be able to score even if you did bring back the flag. Now it just seems like a mad dash to see how many times you can capture the flag.

Auto picking up the flag is really frustrating as well, I was fighting off two guys and I pick up a rocket launcher and was about to kill them both but because I got too close to the flag I was auto switched to a handgun.

The map design isn't much better either, I just played Complex three times in a row and got stuck on blue team each time. We all spawn out in this wide open area and get picked off, whereas the red team spawn in a much more narrow and easily defendable position, it doesn't seem balanced at all.

Buddermilk

Neo Member

Uninstall and reinstall Waypoint, they mentioned that in the Weekly Bulletin this week.

Thanks!

not sure about cards but when i logged onto live yesterday, they had a 12 year membership deal for 39.99, some halo special. not sure how you feel about giving microsoft your credit card info though.

Jarmel

Banned
There's a behind the scenes ranking system that ties into the matchmaking right? I ask this because it seems I'm only paired with clans.

SpacLock

How did they manage to ruin CTF? One of my favourite modes from past Halo games and the rule changes have really messed it up. They ruined any tactical aspect of attacking and defending by letting you score when the flag isn't at your base. If you used to go on the offensive it was a risk as it left your base open and you wouldn't be able to score even if you did bring back the flag. Now it just seems like a mad dash to see how many times you can capture the flag.

Auto picking up the flag is really frustrating as well, I was fighting off two guys and I pick up a rocket launcher and was about to kill them both but because I got too close to the flag I was auto switched to a handgun.

The map design isn't much better either, I just played Complex three times in a row and got stuck on blue team each time. We all spawn out in this wide open area and get picked off, whereas the red team spawn in a much more narrow and easily defendable position, it doesn't seem balanced at all.

They didn't ruin CTF. You're thinking of CTF Pro which I'm sure they'll include shortly.

REV 09

i think a Ragnarok Light map setup would be nice with just the hog, a goose or two, maybe a ghost, and the Rail Gun where the Laser spawns. The default version almost feels like Heavies.

Top Bottom