• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

harrytang

anyone else having problems with DMR not showing the reticle when going ADS? havent noticed on other weapons but im trying to shoot and no cross-hairs! wtf

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone wanna run through spartan ops on legendary?

Absolutely, I would. I've already done 2 and 3 on Legendary, but I would like to do 1, 4 and 5 for the achievo.

Jarmel

Banned
That's the exact map I was talking of earlier. 16 players yet about 10 combined staying back near their base trying to kill from long range and staying out of the line of fire.

Exactly. It becomes a big DMR fest with everybody camping and taking potshots all the way across the map.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for a damage reduction in the DMR. When I die and see the kill cam, 99% of the time it's a DMR tearing up my shit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, I'm really hoping for a damage reduction in the DMR. When I die and see the kill cam, 99% of the time it's a DMR tearing up my shit.

Yeah, the DMR is my primary and it's a little insane how good it is.

Has anyone else mentioned or noticed how quickly enemy weapons disappear? My son and I are playing co-op campaign and SpOps and in both enemy weapons last about 20-30 seconds and are gone.

All past halos I recall dropped weapons persisting much longer...like almost seemingly permanently. This breaks one of my main strategies which is lots of weapon foraging. Just curious if anyone else noticed and are bothered. I was hoping there was a setting somewhere to adjust it but it doesn't appear so.

rakka

How do old Halo fans in here feel about the new changes to the multiplayer? Are you guys embracing them or are you a little put off by them?

Seems to me like people who previously didn't like Halo multiplayer are having a much better time with this one while older fans aren't feeling all that great about it.

343 did an amazing job with the visuals and the actual mp map design. but they changed too many things for the sake of change its gonna take a while for me to get used to it. too many power weapons, automatics too powerful... the skill gap in halo 4 is almost non existent now with randomization of power weapons, ordnance drops, nerfed nades, OP automatics, no more map and weapon control, fuck i could go on. yeah new players like it cos they do better than they did before in previous games. Im still in the positive k/d ratio of course but finding that where previously i could run into 2,3 less skilled players and come out on top, now its more often then not I get owned no matter how precise my shots are. all the noobs have to do now is spray and pray with automatics of their choice.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Has anyone else mentioned or noticed how quickly enemy weapons disappear? My son and I are playing co-op campaign and SpOps and in both enemy weapons last about 20-30 seconds and are gone.

All past halos I recall dropped weapons persisting much longer...like almost seemingly permanently. This breaks one of my main strategies which is lots of weapon foraging. Just curious if anyone else noticed and are bothered. I was hoping there was a setting somewhere to adjust it but it doesn't appear so.

I certainly noticed this, guessing its a RAM issue.

REV 09

this is probably a hardware limitation. a lot was sacrificed to get the game to look this good.

Doodis

Finished campaign last night. Thought it was great, though some of the plot points were confusing, and I've read all the books. I can only imagine the confusion for folks who didn't.

Anyway, the first Spartan Ops CG episode is seriously so amazing. Really hope the quality stays on that level.

Also, are we supposed to be playing as Majestic Squad in Spartan Ops? Or are we a random no-name squad that's supposed to be working alongside them?

Sojgat

Just another of the little technical trade offs made that detracts from the overall experience. I'm glad some people are noticing this stuff instead of just gushing that it's GOTY. Good game, but it's got some problems.

rakka

it has nothing to do with hardware or ram limitation. it's just 343 making changes for the sake of change. hell, had anyone noticed the teAm death marker no longer exists? what the fuck was the point in removing that? I'd like to know where my teammate died so I can avenge his death but no, not any more!

def sim

Yeah, I hope 343 gives another look at the DMR. For me, and most others apparently, there's no reason to use any other primary. It's like the Halo 1 pistol all over again.

Which I like to a degree, but it's a shame for variety.

It does, I know they wanted it to have a clear advantage over the BR in long range, but they over did it I think.

It ruins the larger maps.

That's the exact map I was talking of earlier. 16 players yet about 10 combined staying back near their base trying to kill from long range and staying out of the line of fire.

Damnit :/ I guess my fears were correct then. Hopefully it'll get nerfed at some point if it's really as bad as it seems. I may be biased though, since I'm on Team BR.

OnPoint

Anybody have any vague, general tips for getting better? I've never really played a shooter online regularly and I'd like to improve. Probably just practice? Any general rules about corners and/or patience I should know?

Jex

I personally find it extremely annoying how often it happens to me. It's one of many gripes (and a few major gripes) that really detracts from the overall experience.

ShinAmano

Anybody have any vague, general tips for getting better? I've never really played a shooter online regularly and I'd like to improve. Probably just practice? Any general rules about corners and/or patience I should know?
Stick with the pack...don't panic when getting shot.

Oh my GAWT, scripted as DANG, but (Chapter 3)
that fucking Ghost escape run!!!!!

My jaw was on the floor the entire time and there were several points where I literally yelped "AAAAA!!" to an empty room.

Amazing.

yeah i loved this part. i literally yelled "holy crap" several times during this part. i also loved
running over dozens of grunts. hilarious watching them run away while everything is blowing up lol

It certainly does when every player is using it. On Regicide it's not a big problem, but teams of players all using DMR's is fucked.

Well, hardcore players got their wish there. Long range primary starts has always been less fun in my book. It ruins the sandbox. I wish they made the assault rifle and its ounterparts a little more fun to use/versatile/skilled, then we'd have decent starting weapons and the longer range stuff strewn around the maps like previous Halos. There were always plenty of them if you wanted one, in my opinion.

Just another of the little technical trade offs made that detracts from the overall experience. I'm glad some people are noticing this stuff instead of just gushing that it's GOTY. Good game, but it's got some problems.

Its a fine game, overall, and clearly one of the better Halos to date, but when I start to notice things like this, its distracting, and it affects my gameplay...my expectation is that plasma pistol will be there when I need it, so I'll double back for it, or if I swap out now, I'll come back to get my shotty...like I said, this is how I play halos -- using the tool for the job when I need it...hell, its why the whole run & toss weapons trick is so awesome.

rakka

they should nerf the AR not the DMR. yeah the dmr is powerful but it requires some degree of skill to use effectively unlike the AR. Fuck if anything all the automatics in 4 are OP.

oh and nades suck now.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
it has nothing to do with hardware or ram limitation. it's just 343 making changes for the sake of change. hell, had anyone noticed the teAm death marker no longer exists? what the fuck was the point in removing that? I'd like to know where my teammate died so I can avenge his death but no, not any more!

Uhhh, I'm not inclined to just believe that if you don't have a source that they changed that just cause. And look at your radar.

Jarmel

Banned
they should nerf the AR not the DMR. yeah the dmr is powerful but it requires some degree of skill to use effectively unlike the AR. Fuck if anything all the automatics in 4 are OP.

oh and nades suck now.

Lol what? If you're getting ruined by the AR then you're doing something wrong.

rakka

Uhhh, I'm not inclined to just believe that if you don't have a source that they changed that just cause. And look at your radar.
because the radar really shows whether they died below / above you, right?

oh yeah and they fucked with the radar as well. diamonds with little arrows below or above them instead of clear ass triangles / circles / light circle . a step backward lol.

Jarmel

Banned
The only starting gun that can really wreck the DMR is the Supressor at close range. Otherwise DMR is king and everybody worships at its' altar.

ShogunX

Played a guy yesterday on Haven who was a beast with the AR partly because of how aggressively he played the map and how often he would catch DMR users in between shots.
I've also seen plenty of players on the smaller maps dominate DMR users with the BR.

JB1981

So I think the game has nice, clean visuals and strong lighting but I don't like the color palette. I miss the bold, bright colors of Halo 3

It's kind of like if Peter Jackson made a Halo game. Feels like a technique similar to "digital grading" in film was used all over this game.
Not a fan

RS4-

Anyone have skins for trade? Looking for the Venator and Forest one. I have the Oceanic/Circuit one from Walmart.

rakka

no, I'm getting ruined when getting jumped by 3 players with the AR. I could handle that in previous games. not nearly as well in halo 4. my nades to less damage, their ARs do more, and doesn't matter if all of my DmR shots hit home which I can do with ease.

Top Bottom