• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Whenever I see the opportunity to avoid a gunfight and run past it, I do so.
One of my favorite aspects of the Halo campaign is there really is a fight/flight aspect to it.
Most of the time it is easiest just to fight everything, but sometimes it is best to just run around the conflict, or even to run through it.

One of my favorite aspects of the Halo campaign is there really is a fight/flight aspect to it.
Most of the time it is easiest just to fight everything, but sometimes it is best to just run around the conflict, or even to run through it.

I just did this at the end of the Forerunner mission in the last area where you're supposed to
blow up the three cores to get to the second pylon.

Banshees, Ghosts, Elites and Grunts literally everywhere. No way was I going to fight through that while trying to complete an objective around them.

El_Chino

I had this same issue, I went to download history and redowloaded the content and then they showed up.
I forget which content you have to redownload, I think it might be called something along the lines of "infinity pack".

Oops sorry for double post

Thanks man, i'll let him know.

also, I havent really kept up with this thread but I got the LE and redeemed my code, however xbox is not showing any subscriptions for anything Halo related like it would another season pass (Elite ect) but it does show I redeemed "noble actual kit" gonna assume this is the map pass and it just doesnt show in your subscriptions page

also arent LE owners supposed to get the extra emblem/skins included with the seperate map pass? I remember for awhile we thought the LE pass did not, but then Ellis confirmed that we did

TheOddOne

I just did this at the end of the Forerunner mission in the last area where you're supposed to
blow up the three cores to get to the second pylon.

Banshees, Ghosts, Elites and Grunts literally everywhere. No way was I going to fight through that while trying to complete an objective around them.
I just loved that you could shoot the cores from a far. So good.

DrBo42

Just finished the campaign. Was really down on it until 7 and 8. 7 especially was fantastic. Looking forward to the next one, 343.

Just watched all the terminals. I think it was a bad decision to "hide" all that backstory.

It's ok to separate them from the gameplay imo, but it sucks they are only accesible in Waypoint and not in the main menu of the game. Also, I only see them, when I just launch Waypoint. When I skipped them they were nowhere to be found in the app. Is this just me being clueless?

Is there a way to filter matchmaking to fastest connection like in halo 3/reach to help with lag problems?

There doesn't seem to be any filters available.

Majanew

Banned
The 14 day Xbox Live Gold trial that comes with the game isn't what it claims lol. I'm still Silver after putting the code in. My sub ran out today so I figured I'd use it. Can't play MP, keeps telling me in Spartan Ops that I need a Gold membership. So what gives?

Bullza2o

The 14 day Xbox Live Gold trial that comes with the game isn't what it claims lol. I'm still Silver after putting the code in. My sub ran out today so I figured I'd use it. Can't play MP, keeps telling me in Spartan Ops that I need a Gold membership. So what gives?

What?! This sucks! I was depending on that.

JB1981

I'm terrible at MP. Game is very fast. I feel like there is a dimension to the rock-paper-scissors gameplay that is lacking. Can't put my finger on it, but the encounters feel more twitchy and less dynamic. Throwing a grenade feels like a death sentence

Man after playing the first mission and getting to some bridge in the second, I had this vision of hours and hours ahead of me of crawling around and shooting aliens in the head, ducking behind corners, dying a lot, and getting lost. It was like the most boring thing ever. Why do I enjoy shooting at spacemen controlled by humans online but not dinosaurs controlled by the computer? How did I ever finish the campaign in Reach?

Ah well, back to MP only for me.

Kinda baffles me that anyone can not feel even a little like this with the Halo games.

Darklord

Banned

Sure you put it in right? Try on their website. It wouldn't even accept it on my 360.

xbl trial cards usually do that, keep you silver but give you limited access to online portions, I guess that spartan ops is limited to real gold while infinity is open to trials too. It sucks that they do such a thing.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The whole thing could have probably used a couple more months to have more polish, and the singleplayer isn't perfect but I'm enjoying multiplayer a lot. Even with the changes it still feels like Halo to me.

I think its perfect. I actually enjoy playing MP again. First time since Halo 2.

Anyone else feel the playlists are lacking? Where is the multi-team playlist? C'mon Frankie. Great game but I feel their is a big void in the playlists right now and multi-team is one of them. You seriously didn't realize that multi-team is a popular playlist?

And can we get a plain free-for-all playlist? Yes Regicide is cool but when I play it for some reason I'm reminded of Juggernaut. Yes not the same thing but Regicide is really not a true free-for-all game. Please mix it up a bit and give us some more variety.

Please, please add a multi-team playlist. I can't believe you guys left that out. What's the deal?

Anyone else feel the playlists are lacking? Where is the multi-team playlist? C'mon Frankie. Great game but I feel their is a big void in the playlists right now and multi-team is one of them. You seriously didn't realize that multi-team is a popular playlist?

And can we get a plain free-for-all playlist? Yes Regicide is cool but when I play it for some reason I'm reminded of Juggernaut. Yes not the same thing but Regicide is really not a true free-for-all game. Please mix it up a bit and give us some more variety.

Please, please add a multi-team playlist. I can't believe you guys left that out. What's the deal?

There is going to be a weekly rotational playlist(s).

Next weeks is swat.

clear31

I'm enjoying coop with a friend but it annoys me that really its like the coop partner doesnt exist, at least in 3 though they made every coop partner fit into the story.

Seance

Banned
I think Halo Waypoint is the most poorly designed website I have ever had the misfortune of having to suffer through. Seriously, i enter one of the codes and I just close the window after 5 minutes of it struggling to load.......

Also Matchmaking. What the hell is happening? Step up your game 343, there are hardly any players online so it obviously isn't struggling under numbers.

harrytang

following up on post about Promethean Vision from yesterday. I thought it was a crucial AA for team slayer, however, i played against someone effectively using the invis AA and got crushed. I think I was assassinated 4 times by the same person. This caused more than a little bit of raged induced screaming. Loved it.

Also, as a COD player i like the unlock progression system. Going to spend a lot more time with this over the weekend. Not 140 hour, $7.50 kind of time, but ill be playing.

JimiNutz

Banned
First off, yes, as you keep playing matchmaking will figure out your true skill and match you as evenly as possible.
Although I believe that the ranks are playlist dependent. If you play a lot of Infinity Slayer, and then go into Slayer Pro, it might not match you properly at first.

The DMR is a tough weapon to use, I'd recommend trying out the Battle Rifle, it is much friendlier :).

Make sure you're consistently checking your radar to see the positioning of enemies and use that to your advantage! Arrow above/below the dot means enemy is above/below you.
Positioning is a HUGE aspect of Halo.
Straight up 1v1 face offs are very difficult, try using positioning to ensure you do damage first!

Half of dodging grenades is learning when people use them. That comes from experience.
If you're really having a tough time with grenades there are several things you can do.
1) when you see a grenade indicator, immediately react! move the opposite direction and jump if necessary, the vertical height will help propel you as far from the damage radius as possible.
2) there is an armor mod that decreases explosive damage done to you, and increase your explosive damage... I forget what it is called... Maybe "Explosives" lol? Idk.
3) try thruster pack or hard light shield. I personally use thruster pack all the time, if I see a grenade and can't dodge it using the traditional methods, I'll thrust in the opposite direction and dodge it. Just try to be careful you don't thrust out out of cover and get shot. Make sure to strafe back into cover as soon as you're safe from the grenade!

Stick to power weapons you're comfortable with, don't experiment if you're having a bad game.

Sometimes it is just best to run. If you're losing a battle, you can take cover, let the enemy charge at you, and use their aggressiveness to your advantage with a well placed grenade or melee.

Really try to pick your battles.
The primaries all have their effective ranges.
AR/Storm Rifle/Suppresor are all really good at short range, and will beat precision rifles even if they land all their shots.
Battle Rifle/Carbine are really good at short-mid range.
DMR/Light Rifle are really good at mid-long range.
The DMR, carbine and light rifle are all skill weapons, and might be difficult to use effectively.

Focus in the gun fights, keep cool.
Often battles will come down to a single shot difference.

That is all I can think of now :D

Yes, go for body shots first as it will be easier to hit them. You need to take out their shields first before you go for the headshot (unless you're using a sniper in which case you go for the headshot most of the time anyway). Four body shots with the DMR will take off their shields, then a single headshot will kill them.

Stick to walls and cover if you can. If you're out in the open you're just a huge target since everyone uses the BR/DMR which are excellent at range. Grenades are less of an issue since when you get into a firefight you'll move around (and likely away from any thrown grenades) anyway.

Personally I don't use them during a fight at all, as throwing one takes away your ability to shoot. Use them around corners or if they're hidden attempting to get their shields to recharge.

Take it slow. Look out of corners and doorways before you head out. Crouch a lot when indoors - this removes you from the radar whilst moving so your opponents won't spot your movement (unless they're using the WallHax augmentation). If you start getting shot at from somewhere, don't try to turn and shoot - you've already lost some shields so you're far more likely to die before you can kill them. Instead run for cover - most players will try to run after you (which is a silly idea, don't run after them because) once you're safe from being shot, watch the radar and lob a grenade as they come after you. Finally, practice the maps and learn where things are so you can get an idea where enemies generally tend to go or where they may be if you're being shot from somewhere and can't immediately spot them.

Yes, it levels out the more you play as it gets used to your general skill level.

Thank you both for these tips.
I know it sounds corny but I've tried to use these already and have been having better results.

I have never been that great at console online FPS and I think part of that is because my favourite FPS has always been Quake 3 and UT.
I simply like to charge around, strafing and shooting but I think I really need to take a slower methodical approach.

I've been having a lot more success playing Regicide than Team Slayer as in team slayer I often get myself into silly positions where I'm trying to fight two or three people at once.

I will try out the BR but for now I'm using DMR and AR combo (with that ability that lets you carry two primary weapons).
It's a very good combo as I have a riffle for long/medium and one for close up.

Also been using explosives so that I'm not dying from grenades as often and I'm starting to get more grenade kills.

Old habits die hard though and I'm still not using cover as much as I should. Have to keep reminding myself not to just sprint around like a lunatic. Need to crouch more often when indoors as well!
Will def experiment with Prom Vision as well. At the moment I use re-gen which helps me to recover after a close battle and get back in the game quicker.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
CTF Ragnarok.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I love playing that as a random person with no friends going in with me. After that, I like to punch myself in the nuts over and over.

Someone earlier mentioned shooting to the body and only finishing with a headshot - is this true even for DMR? I usually go only for the headshot and inevitably I will miss at least one of those per encounter. Should I be aiming for body first....

It's easier said than done. I normally go for the head all the time. Only reason I do this is that I actually find it easier than shooting for the same spot 4 times then trying to move the controller the slightest to hit the head. I do good in strafing fights but once someone crouches or jumps I'm fucked.

DMR should not be 4 hit kill, no way, it's way too powerful compared to most other weapons and you can quite easily out snipe a sniper with it.

It's a shame because I can't see 343 changing it now that it's in the game and being sold, it's like a reverse of the plasma repeater in reach where bungie left it gimped beyond belief like it never existed.

Please adjust the DMR in some way :(

Naked Lunch

I find Halo 4 very fun - me and my crew are warming up to multiplayer. We understand its different from the past entries. H4 is solid in so many areas but theres others that have me scratching my head...

What is it with recent devs putting in that one specific gameplay element that is just garbage, borderline cheating, and skews the game balance - like these devs just can't contain themselves. Half of these "features" were full fledged hacks back in early-mid 2000 FPSs.

Halo Reach it was armor lock.
Bad Company 2 it was magnum ammo.
COD it was heartbeat sensors.
BF3 its the gunship in rush.
and for Halo 4 its the wall hack.

Why devs? Why?

BearPawB

Banned
I find Halo 4 very fun - me and my crew are warming up to multiplayer. We understand its different from the past entries. H4 is solid in so many areas but theres others that have me scratching my head...

What is it with recent devs putting in that one specific gameplay element that is just garbage, borderline cheating, and skews the game balance - like these devs just can't contain themselves. Half of these "features" were full fledged hacks back in early-mid 2000 FPSs.

Why devs? Why?

I love when people use promethian vision. It tells me they know I'm there and I can prepare. Just pay more attention to your mini map

Lothars

Why devs? Why?
Since neither Armor Lock or promethian vision give that much of an advantage in either game but were completely overblown in the hate for them.

Naked Lunch

Since neither Armor Lock or promethian vision give that much of an advantage in either game but were completely overblown in the hate for them.
I dont know how much more it has to be spelled out. Armor Lock brought engagements in an action FPS multiplayer game completely to a mid-battlefield standstill hault - Vision makes wall hacks legal. Both unnecessary. Both stupid.

Why devs? Why?

Exagerated.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Promethean Vision doesn't add that much more advantage. I can see when you use it, and I can adjust to beat it. Use active camo, run the other way, etc. You hear the noise and see the radar diffusion you know to get out of the area for a bit.

Maybe it's a bigger issue for others but I only run into 1 person a match or so using it, and I can still beat them if I put any kind of thought into it.

CyReN

Kevin Franklin did some Q/A in Walshy stream, some stuff:

1. The addition of a Red X on death is something being internally discussed at 343i - there is no public information on it yet.
2. He discussed the light rifle. You only need 1 of your 4 shots to be zoomed in for it to be a 4sk.
3. He discussed the reasoning behind having power weapons disappear within 12 seconds (because of personal ordinance mainly) and said if there is a player within close proximity or looking at it - you'll see the despawn timer stop.
4. He discussed the spawn weighting. 1.) Explosion damage (rockets, grenades, etc) in the vicinity is the largest portion of the weighting for where you will respawn. 2.) If the enemy is looking at the spawn is second and 3.) teammate location is third. Sometimes you may just have to spawn as an "emergency spawn" though and could end up in some fire if that happens on spawn.
5. He discussed some kind of timers - I can't remember which they were. Something about 70 seconds and 91 seconds - maybe someone else will know.
6. Swat is coming out next week.
7. He discussed the decision behind not being knocked out of scope when sniping - but I didn't hear his response.
8. He said the ranking system will likely be 1-50 or a similar variation, but there wasn't a final system in place how they would do that.
9. There is no doubles right now due to all the maps being larger. It will likely be added in the future and so will snipes.
10. The playlist stuff is not really his area and he was being fairly tight lipped about upcoming playlist changes that would be possible announcement type stuff.

CONAN

our first halo night was awesome & we have a lot of fun *the picture before my friends came to my house*

sMssL.jpg

I still for the life of me can't get a feel for the sticky detonator. Any tips? I think I agree with the DMR being just too powerful. I use it all the time. Like others have said, I can start taking people out across the map with it. Those equipped with just their assault rifles have no chance with it from medium to long range. Although I did enter a game where I was getting destroyed by a group of guys using the Battle Rifles. For smaller maps though I think the full auto guns are able to hang with the DMR and what not. But big team battle......you would be foolish to run an assault rifle.

Here's my take on MP. I'm someone who is not really "into" Halo and choosing between this and CoD next week was a struggle. I chose Halo.

I've played Halo MP since Halo 3. So I have a pretty good understanding of the tactics and general flow, I've just never been very good....

Until THIS game. Holy hell, my second match I went 25-8. That does not happen. I have a feeling I'm playing against a lot of scrubs, hobbyists, weekend warriors, and 10-year-olds right now, as the game's just released. As time goes on, the good players will remain, the bad ones will fade away in frustration, and my success will dwindle. But for now, I'm taking advantage!

I like the maps, the guns sound great, and at least for one night, I had a ton of fun. And that's mainly because I was successful. The one or two games where I did poorly were not nearly as fun.

Also, am I missing something with the "rocket boost" or whatever that perk is? I hit LB and it propels me forward for about a second, and then dies. What use is that? I figured I must be doing something wrong, or else I really want those 2 points back to spend on something else.

Kerub

Banned
Armor lock was terribly annoying because it stopped up the gameplay and made the game feel slower if several people in the game used it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I dont know how much more it has to be spelled out. Armor Lock brought engagements in an action FPS multiplayer game completely to a mid-battlefield standstill hault - Vision makes wall hacks legal. Both unnecessary. Both stupid.
Anyone fussing about Promethean vision needs to learn the maps and use the radar. It's a crutch and the other AAs are much more useful.

Armour Lock was terrible though.

Top Bottom