• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

ultron87

I like that Regicide gives just a tiny bit more direction to a normal FFA and can give people that aren't in the lead a slight catch up mechanism. Though it also gives the king an overshield after 30 seconds, which is the opposite of a catch up mechanism.

Sojgat

I like that Regicide gives just a tiny bit more direction to a normal FFA and can give people that aren't in the lead a slight catch up mechanism. Though it also gives the king an overshield after 30 seconds, which is the opposite of a catch up mechanism.

Don't forget about the damage boost. I thought it was really cool how close the matches were, until they weren't anymore:)

abadguy

Banned
Had a lot of fun playing Regicide over the past few times i played it but they should have regular FFA. In Halo 3 i spent most of my time in "Lone Wolves" playlist, they should bring it back.

rakka

It's not overpowered, it's called weapon balance. At mid to long range AR users get destroyed by BRs and DMRs.

At close range, the AR is very effective.

That's the way things SHOULD be.

a skilled player could take on 2, 3+ less skilled opponents all wielding ARs (the go-to easy to use weapon) in previous games with a grenade or two, and precision weapon of their choice.

now in halo 4 with grenades being far less effective and ARs far more powerful, that player, even if he lands all his shots perfectly will probably die after taking down just one of them.

that's NOT how it should be.

and that's not even taking into account the randomized power weapon ordnance awarded to players even when they're playing shit.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Random complaint but why isn't the background color for emblems the same as the colors for the primary and secondary parts of the emblem?

https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/Einchy/home/

Background white is less white than primary/secondary white. Completely kills the emblem I've been using since Halo 3/ODST/Reach. :/

[edit]

It looks correct when you're making it, too, which is even more annoying. Why does it look correct there but wrong in every other part of the UI!?

I really, really wish there was an option in Matchmaking to not join a match in progress. I'm not saying remove drop-in, but when I'm seeking a matchmaking game, I don't want to drop in at the end of someone else's game.

It's a huge frustration to use my double xp code, drop into a game, and have it end ten seconds later, multiplying my pithy xp times two. :|

rakka

I really, really wish there was an option in Matchmaking to not join a match in progress. I'm not saying remove drop-in, but when I'm seeking a matchmaking game, I don't want to drop in at the end of someone else's game.

It's a huge frustration to use my double xp code, drop into a game, and have it end ten seconds later, multiplying my pithy xp times two. :|

if there's one thing I want in an update it's this.

Dunlop

How does the matchmaking work?

I literally installed the MP and wanted to try a match (don't have time to play until later this weekend). My 0Xp dude was in a team slayer match where everyone else was decked out with better weapons,perks,ect.. I was spanked pretty good

I figured I would be on a team full of noobs vs other noobs

Sojgat

a skilled player could take on 2, 3+ less skilled opponents all wielding ARs (the go-to easy to use weapon) in previous games with a grenade or two, and precision weapon of their choice.

now in halo 4 with grenades being far less effective and ARs far more powerful, that player, even if he lands all his shots perfectly will probably die after taking down just one of them.

and that's not even taking into account the randomized power weapon ordnance awarded to players even when they're playing shit.

Now this I agree with, but I've rarely been in a match where anyone other than me was using a full auto weapon (outside of the SAW). Trying to rebalance the weapons for MP has been detracting from the series since Halo 2 (at least they got rid of dual wielding). Give me back my 60 round AR and M6D.

My buddy who plays a lot of COD uses it. I think if you just tap it then it toggles, but if you hold it then it works like it would in other ADS games. So just tap it twice to zoom in further.
I thought I had tried that before, but I must not have tapped it fast enough. I'll try again this weekend, thanks.

Monday is a terrible day for episodes to release.. Why not release closer to the weekend??
Because it's a great way to start off a week.

jet1911

that's your idea of balance? Make the AR a shitty and unsuable weapon? Why would it even be in the game then?

rakka

that's your idea of balance? Make the AR a shitty and unsuable weapon? Why would it even be in the game then?
who said anything about unusable. it's been fine in the past few games as a secondary. I and I know many others use it every now and then when I've brought shields down already and my main weapon out of ammo. yes, that's my idea of balance: the single better, more skillful player coming out on top in a close encounter not the group of noobs running around spraying and praying.

So I died a few times in Campaign and Spartan Ops from enemies that spawned out of nowhere right on top of me or behind me.

Now sometimes you'll see a watcher use his resurrect ray to spawn a group of crawlers, and other times crawlers will just appear out of thin air, sometimes you'll see both happen in the same Spartan Ops mission. I'd rather there was some consistency here.

It feels cheap to die from an enemy that just bloops into existence behind you.

REV 09

who said anything about unusable. it's been fine in the past few games as a secondary. I and I know many others use it every now and then when I've brought shields down already and my main weapon out of ammo. yes, that's my idea of balance: the single better, more skillful player coming out on top in a close encounter not the group of noobs running around spraying and praying.

if you have a weapon that works best at distance, then the skillful player would keep his distance. complaining about using a weapon in a non-optimal scenario sounds more like a personal problem than an issue with the game.

Is it me or is the new radar ridiculously overpowered? It's even better than the UAV killstreak in COD in that it even tells you if the person is above or below you as well as not refreshing every few seconds but giving you a constant feed update unlike the old Halo radar.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finally started playing today, campaign first. I was conflicted as to which controller config I would go with before starting, but I think the default is actually perfect — just need to get used to sprint being on the stick. It's been a year since I played Reach, yet my mind still thinks it's LB. The default sensitivity also feels pretty good to me, although I wish the acceleration was ramped up just a little bit.

Alright, the honeymoon for the MP ended on day 2 of playing it.

I hate the radar. It ruins all suspense and strategy for all mid to close quarter combat. A radar that refreshes 30fps, massive range (that can be expanded) AND tells me the enemy elevation? Might as well just allow me to see through walls so i can see the enemy's exact location...oh wait.

I really don't care for any of the objective gametypes. A lot of the reason is that damn radar. It takes out any sense of flanking out of the equation, so it just becomes an unexciting cluster eff towards the objective. it becomes a game of controlliing spawns. How fun is that. Dominion looked like a lot of fun, but playing it, it's kinda...stupid. There's something in this gametype for another kind of game, but I'm not sure if it's for halo.

I love Infinity slayer in this game, but I'm sick of playing the same 3,4 or 5 maps over and over again. A game that splinters its map selection per gametype needs a lot more than 10 maps total. They should have at least figured out a way to put all 10 in slayer and big team. A mess? Yeah, but some people like it a bit messy. Haven is popular for a reason.

The perk system is a waste of potential. Everybody is using the same couple of set ups and for good reason.

Nothing spells "Lose" like actually trying to have fun. I don't mind strategy and tactics and shooting at people's helmets from across the map (and easily running away when things get iffy), but the ability to be a lone-gunner flanker or, at least, a front lines member of your team should be partially viable concept. I can't flank because of the radar, though...so there goes that. The ONLY viable way to play is to stick with your group and keep your distance from and pick-off the enemy's group. That's not exactly fun, or sandbox. It's rewarding when you go 15 and 3, but...not really because I didn't really do much other than out headshot the competition. I have to play every game like I'm playing on some MLG pro circuit. That's not exactly why I'm playing with randoms by myself.

Played some big team with some friends. I thought that would mix things up a little. Nope. With more people the trappings amplify. More DMRs. More out last shotting. More standing back. We had a random jumping in and trying to have fun with cqc and nades and bunny hopping and it's sad that the first thought that came to my mind was "What are you doing!? You're ruining the game for everybody!"

I'm still liking the MP side of this game...more than any halo since halo 2, but I'm not sure for how much longer.

I play differently when I run with different guns. When I use my Battle Rifle or DMR, I usually keep my distance. When I use my Assault Rifle, I am usually in the front lines.

Taking a DMR to the front lines fight is not what one should do, just like one shouldn't keep their distance with the Assault Riffle. The Battle Rifle is kind of a mix of the two.

Timan

Developer
Is there a way to force host? Cause some reason it keeps giving my friend host and he has a 10x worse connection than I do, so I end up lagging in every game. Seems to always give him host.

Sojgat

Where are all these coordinated teams of AR weilding noobs you're talking about? Are you just running around by yourself mad that you can't destroy players of lesser skill with your old tactics anymore? Everybody uses the long range semi-auto weapons now in their loadouts anyway, the AR having slightly higher damage output isn't what's throwing off the balance.

I guess you should keep the AR as your secondary now instead of acting like you're above using it.

TUROK

it has nothing to do with hardware or ram limitation. it's just 343 making changes for the sake of change. hell, had anyone noticed the teAm death marker no longer exists? what the fuck was the point in removing that? I'd like to know where my teammate died so I can avenge his death but no, not any more!
Actually, it is a hardware limitation. Less bodies and weapons on the ground to render and you have a little more headway to render other things.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm still pretty annoyed by how holding the Back button makes you stop moving.

Scratch

only gripes I have with the game are the poor selection of maps and the inaccurate kill cam.

Overall this multiplayer is fantastic though.

rakka

if you have a weapon that works best at distance, then the skillful player would keep his distance. complaining about using a weapon in a non-optimal scenario sounds more like a personal problem than an issue with the game.

I'm referring more to close to medium quarters combat. yeah this is a non issue in btb but I'm not talking abou that.

fact is sometimes you play on a small map. sometimes no matter how good you are you WILL run into a multiple opponents. with 4 it's a lot less likely you'll come out on top with the crappy grenades and powerful automatics. and on top of that power weapons are awarded even to the crappiest players ! you might call all this balanced but it's simply becoming more noob friendly.

Think of it this way: in a regular infinity slayer match, say 25 percent of fights are at a range of under 40-50 feet. An AR player with equal skill to an opponent with a BR say wins 3/4ths of those fights (I think that's reasonable and possibly over doing it). In battles beyond that range, I would say an AR has maybe a 10 percent (out of 75 percent) chance of winning. Therefore they win 3/4ths of 32.5 percent of total fights, which is like 24 percent of total fights in infinity slayer disregarding power weapons, secondary or grenades. Of course that's not accurate, but I'd say its a reasonable estimation. So i'd say the skill it takes is actually very consistent with the results, in my opinion, considering the AR has a quarter chance of winning a random gun fight.

GamerSoul

There should just be an Infinity FFA instead of Regicide...

They should just have both.

No doubt it all comes down to the players skill but if you play smart and pick your fights with the AR you can definitely give people a big shock. Same thing with the SAW - Seen a lot of people tear shit up with that beast as it seems to just shred shields.

Also what is everyone's most satisfying weapon to get a kill with?

Pulled off a few long range Railgun kills yesterday it's very satisfying.

Yeah I've been shocked a few times with the AR. I've been trying to get more accurate with the DMR so i haven't been using it. And since I haven't really used the Railgun much I'd say the SAW. The reloading makes it all the better. heheh

see5harp

The needler is by far the most satisfying kill. I can jump down onto a 2 on 1 and half of the time I'll get a double kill. It's so damn powerful.

Scratch

I'm referring more to close to medium quarters combat. yeah this is a non issue in btb but I'm not talking abou that.

fact is sometimes you play on a small map. sometimes no matter how good you are you WILL run into a multiple opponents. with 4 it's a lot less likely you'll come out on top with the crappy grenades and powerful automatics. and on top of that power weapons are awarded even to the crappiest players ! you might call all this balanced but it's simply becoming more noob friendly.

If I run into multiple opponents, alone, I probably deserve to die. Try using the op radar to avoid them and get a better position on them. Or you can stick with your teammates. Wait, i'm sorry, how is this not common sense?

rakka

Actually, it is a hardware limitation. Less bodies and weapons on the ground to render and you have a little more headway to render other things.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm still pretty annoyed by how holding the Back button makes you stop moving.
yeah I'm not entirely sure about whether it was choice or limitation. not being able to pick up grenades from dead bodies without the perk was choice so the weapons only staying for 10-12 sec may have been too.

oh and bringing up the scoreboard stops all movement was one thing I noticed in my very first game. 343 made an amazing looking game for the most part but broke so many things imo

see5harp

yeah I'm not entirely sure about whether it was choice or limitation. not being able to pick up grenades from dead bodies without the perk was choice so the weapons only staying for 10-12 sec may have been too.

oh and bringing up the scoreboard stops all movement was one thing I noticed in my very first game. 343 made an amazing looking game for the most part but broke so many things imo

Yea I was a little troubled by what a few people were saying earlier about it being a performance decision. I think it's about more about balance and giving ordinance and perks more importance in the game.

rakka

If I run into multiple opponents, alone, I probably deserve to die. Try using the op radar to avoid them and get a better position on them. Or you can stick with your teammates. Wait, i'm sorry, how is this not common sense?
because 2v4 matches are so uncommon in matchmaking. because your teammates never fuck around. right ?

id like to do well regardless of whether my team is good, hell regardless of whether I have a damn team at all with these quitters in mm

They should just have both.

This is what 343 is trying to avoid.

A bothbothbothboth smattering of shitty hoppers does not a good game make. I've spent enough of my Halo career wishing I could play Multi Flag CTF only to be stuck in "Team Objective" or "Team Skirmish" and cursing the day we got matchmaking. I'm glad they're trying to distill the game down to its best offerings. They may be faltering in some of their choices of the "best", but I disagree that Regicide is an example of that. It's a focused FFA gametype, something that FFA has always needed.

Huge Halo 4 advert covering St Ann's Church here in Manchester. Looks better than the scaffolding that was on show previously...

img2489uv.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Ann%27s_Church,_Manchester

ultron87

because 2v4 matches are so uncommon in matchmaking. because your teammates never fuck around. right ?

id like to do well regardless of whether my team is good, hell regardless of whether I have a damn team at all with these quitters in mm

If your team is bad and all running around separately (or down a man or whatever), and their team is good and sticking together they should, generally, win those fights even if you can outshoot them on a 1v1 basis.

Scratch

I haven't got any 2v4s. As far as I know my teammates are trying to have fun and win, which is exactly what I want.

And can't you just leave if there's an unbalanced team spread? If you're staying the only reason it would seem is that you're trying to prove something

I'm all with you for having a sexy k/d spread, but it seems like you just run in thinking you're a champ or something.

MYeager

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a choice, I think between map ordinance drops and personal ordinance, if weapons could be picked up off of bodies after 10-12 seconds than the latter half of team slayers games would just be both teams constantly armed with power weapons.

Raiden

Banned
So i caved in and bought the game. The 2nd game i bought this year. Now being a Halo player from day 1, the intro gave me goosebumps and im thrilled to do the campaign. But now i wonder this forward unto dawn stuff, should i watch it before or doesnt it really matter?

MYeager

So i caved in and bought the game. The 2nd game i bought this year. Now being a Halo player from day 1, the intro gave me goosebumps and im thrilled to do the campaign. But now i wonder this forward unto dawn stuff, should i watch it before or doesnt it really matter?

I haven't heard that it matters much, though a common consensus seems to be that you will get more out of the campaign story if you are familiar with the Forerunner series of books.

I haven't played Halo 4 yet but after watching the web series in one go the other day, it was almost entirely pre-Halo 1. But it was pretty good but I can't see it really mattering.

Havok

I'd recommend watching it before. It's certainly not essential, and you could play the game without any knowledge of it and be fine, but it gives some background about one of the characters in the game and his relationship to the Chief.

Sojgat

I'd watch it first, it gives deeper meaning to a few moments in the campaign.

harrytang

2v4 matches suck. probably a lot of it coming down to practice and always using the DMR. you cant fuck around with a support weapon like AR when running solo. just spam grenades and shoot heads and run away if no one dies. I try to go 1 for 1 in kills most of the game in the hopes of killing more than 1 to get that positive k/d. i play mercenary style all day. 3 hours in with more kills than deaths. all i can hope for.

8170138226_50fea76968.jpg

Aren't any of the forge maps in the war games at the moment? I haven't played a single one of them yet.

i thought they said customs only for now. dont get it.

Top Bottom