• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
You mean sound wise or damage wise? Cause ive been absolutely destroying with it in 4, a lot more than i even did in Reach.
Just sound-wise. I haven't gotten into MP yet (just about halfway through doing a campaign run today), so I can't really compare it otherwise to Reach just yet.

smr00

Banned
So i am only like 2 hours into the SP and finished the first chapter or whatever of Spartan Ops and can i ask WTF is with all the button pushing and level pulling? Is the entire SP campaign like this?

I've been able to jet out of the way of death on more than a couple of occasions (when I can remember that I actually have an AA to use other than Sprint, lol) in Spartan Ops. If only I could take screenshots... ;_;
Exactly. Caught without shields in the open, in the line of fire of a turret? or Elite shock troops? Firing that thrust pack to juke may provide that little extra something you needed to avoid that final killing blow. Mixed with sprint (mobility ftw) and you can reach cover to replenish your shields and get back into the fight.

This exact scenario has played out so many times now - thrusting when I was certain I was doomed only to end up catching my breath behind some cover and trying to understand how I got away with it.

Edit: I just have to remember to stifle those instincts when using the jetpack, as it has the exact opposite effect ;P

So i am only like 2 hours into the SP and finished the first chapter or whatever of Spartan Ops and can i ask WTF is with all the button pushing and level pulling? Is the entire SP campaign like this?

Ya, there's a lot of that. Thats the only negative that i feel that they could have done better. I don't mind objectives, just not always the same shit.

Hell, i dont get why they don't incorporate some of the MP gametypes in the SP as "mission objectives". It would fit right in. Imagine in one of the missions where you have to sneak in a base and plant a bomb, or capture a flag (but change the flag with intel or something). It would be so fun and would also change things up a bit all the while still keeping the Halo feel.

That and the menus, even the scoreboards online. I find them just too plain and square, kinda like windows 8 ironically, and i dont like that either.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Because Avalanche isn't in the game.

I wish they brought back that big ass city map from halo 2. The one that had like skyscraper sort of buildings and stuff.

Also bring back blood gulch plz

I stocked up on mountain dew so I can unlock firepower this weekend. need that dmr/AR combo

zethren

Banned
Did a solo run of each chapter on heroic, which took me about 25 minutes each. Got enough experience to build out two loadouts. Then did them again with a co-op buddy, then a group of three of us on legendary. We finally discovered our team groove and burned through each chapter in about 12-13 minutes of seriously intense firefights - Promethean Knights were made for legendary - their mobility seems to be intensified, and their melee lethality is through the roof. They are properly dangerous and keep you on your toes and working as a team. Crawler and watcher packs also teach you to move in formations to avoid getting surrounded.

And to think we're getting a total of 50 of these missions for season one. I am loving this.

BTW - A lifesaver for me when soloing these missions has been Hologram. Its got too many uses both on offense and defense. So if you're hitting a wall, its something to consider. Also, while thrust pack doesn't seem to offer all that much mobility, it has saved my ass at least a dozen times already. I'm having a hard time using any other AA at the moment.

I agree. In my opinion the Thrust Pack is the best AA. It consistently saves my life.

Dreaver

i thought they said customs only for now. dont get it.

Cheers, I hope they add some good forge maps soon.

Why do people pick Ragnarok each and every time it shows up?

It annoys me really hard... I am getting sick of playing Ragnarok almost every time. It's a enjoyable map but I've played it to death in Halo 3.. besides the other BTB maps are pretty awesome as well.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I agree. In my opinion the Thrust Pack is the best AA. It consistently saves my life.

Is that what makes some of the players online move so fast?

Autosentry is useless and promethean vision makes my head hurt. Auto shield or whatever looks cool but you move so slow it only delays your death a couple of seconds

---is Ragnarok the only map with the mantis/mech? That may be why...

see5harp

What multiplayer mode is best for some casual fun so get eased into it?

Probably Capture The Flag or just standard team slayer IMO. Dominion has too much shit going on and big team slayer can be incredibly hard to keep track of (when you are playing a good team of DMR users on Rag anyways)

raven777

I reached the part in the campaign where
they showed off demo at e3 (Infinity crash landing). How far am I in the game?

What multiplayer mode is best for some casual fun so get eased into it?
Regicide is the only mode I've played so far since I don't have a party yet for versus. I'm expecting that all the other game modes are just parties rolling over randoms, as usual.

I'd really like to see 343 try out some mercenaries playlists, for those of us who don't have regular players we can team up with.

RetroMG

Also bring back blood gulch plz

I stocked up on mountain dew so I can unlock firepower this weekend. need that dmr/AR combo

Isn't Ragnarok basically Blood Gulch? I mean, two bases in a canyon.

But your DMR/AR Combo intrigues me. Do more weapon combinations open up eventually?

I kind of wish there was a way to respec. I've spent points on a few options that I'm not entirely happy with. Active Camo seemed really cool, but whenever I use it, everyone seems to be able to see me anyway.

Isn't Ragnarok basically Blood Gulch? I mean, two bases in a canyon.

But your DMR/AR Combo intrigues me. Do more weapon combinations open up eventually?

I kind of wish there was a way to respec. I've spent points on a few options that I'm not entirely happy with. Active Camo seemed really cool, but whenever I use it, everyone seems to be able to see me anyway.

It better than Blood Gulch. Honestly, if they bring back BG THEN im moving onto BO2. Im so fed up of that boring ass map. Every fucking halo game has it, ENOUGH ALREADY.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Thanks I'll go back and grab disc 2 after work then.
You don't need the second disc at all — you can download the files it installs (it prompts you when you go into the MP menu).

I'm not really sure why they even provided them on a disc in the first place. Maybe for people who have limited bandwidth and can't download 3.5GB or something.

vatstep

Really? I had no idea of this.
Yeah, it was confirmed in last night's bulletin. Apparently some people have issues with the second disc, but regardless, I guess it's nice of them to provide both options.

The multiplayer is alright so far, but it really is just a DMR-fest with a couple other weapons sprinkled in. And not getting unscoped when you get shot at means the gameplay devolves into a system where the person who sees and shoots someone first in a gunfight, will get the kill(if they're not a completely inept player). Players used to be able to outgun someone who had an upperhand by strafing and unscoping them through damage. The transition between scoped and unscoped was a dynamic variable that could be utilized to screw someone up and kill them to beat the odds.

I don't think this multiplayer is going to have the same legs that the other Halos did. At least not without some thoughtful patching for the obvious oversights (like no X's over dead teammates... what? No, faint yellow X's on the radar isn't even close to the same thing).

vatstep

What kind of issues?
Dunno; this is all it really says:

My Disc 2 is failing to install. HELP!

If you’re experiencing issues installing Disc 2 content, choose “Spartan Ops” or “War Games” in the menu. You will see a message saying you need to install the content. Please choose the “Download from Xbox LIVE” option.

see5harp

Meltdown Dominion is the new Turf Territories. So damn good.

It definitely is fun but jesus. I went out there into the B area with the mantis thinking I was invincible and then some guys jetpacks out of nowhere and with one shot I'm dead. That disintegration cannon or whatever is powerful.

The multiplayer is alright so far, but it really is just a DMR-fest with a couple other weapons sprinkled in. And not getting unscoped when you get shot at means the gameplay devolves into a system where the person who sees and shoots someone first in a gunfight, will get the kill(if they're not a completely inept player). Players used to be able to outgun someone who had an upperhand by strafing and unscoping them through damage. The transition between scoped and unscoped was a dynamic variable that could be utilized to screw someone up and kill them to beat the odds.

I don't think this multiplayer is going to have the same legs that the other Halos did. At least not without some thoughtful patching for the obvious oversights (like no X's over dead teammates... what? No, faint yellow X's on the radar isn't even close to the same thing).

Great points. Hopefully this kind of stuff can be patched or I may be going back to Reach after the honeymoon period wears off.

soldat7

And yet works so beautifully.

They need to remove voting in MP and put an automatic map rotation.

Voting doesn't work since people will always choose the same maps. And if there's easy exploits on a map, then they choose it even more often in hopes to take advantage. Voting just doesn't work because it relies on people, and people in general don't wanna try new shit unless their forced into it.

I've been saying this for years. Halo became a lot less fun once the veto system was introduced.

Give me a playlist with veto disabled please!

Troll

Banned
5-47vZk=.jpg

I can't unsee a goatsee.

I have a SpartanOps question. There are achievements for Season 1. Is it true the episodes are only available for 10 days? So you only get 10 days to do them or you are screwed?

I can't tell if the DMR is more powerful or if I've suddenly gotten good with it. Wrecking people with it now, whereas in Reach I couldn't hit for the life of me.

Top Bottom