• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

GamerSoul

This is what 343 is trying to avoid.

A bothbothbothboth smattering of shitty hoppers does not a good game make. I've spent enough of my Halo career wishing I could play Multi Flag CTF only to be stuck in "Team Objective" or "Team Skirmish" and cursing the day we got matchmaking. I'm glad they're trying to distill the game down to its best offerings. They may be faltering in some of their choices of the "best", but I disagree that Regicide is an example of that. It's a focused FFA gametype, something that FFA has always needed.

I understand what you're saying, but for FFA i think they should have both. When the game comes down to who ever can get the most +35 pts off the king, the luck factor reminds me a bit of Headhunter. I think regicide is cool, I'd just like another FFA game type.

rakka

If your team is bad and all running around separately (or down a man or whatever), and their team is good and sticking together they should, generally, win those fights even if you can outshoot them on a 1v1 basis.

well now that grenades don't do much damage and the AR does more, they would. thats why I'm sort of disappointed. previously I could. you were awarded for accuracy and situational awareness. doesn't matter if they were sticking together, if you took them by surprise and don't miss then well done. now with Promethean vision that's gone too...

Raiden

Banned
Thanks for the replies guys! Think i'll just play a bit and watch it in between.

Also, good god the game looks good!

Louis Wu

Monday is a terrible day for episodes to release.. Why not release closer to the weekend??
Seems like a great day to release, if one of your goals is to spread the network load out a bit. (Releasing on Friday would guarantee that 90% of your users would be on at the same time. Releasing on Monday gets a bunch out of the way before the weekend.)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Actually, it is a hardware limitation. Less bodies and weapons on the ground to render and you have a little more headway to render other things.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm still pretty annoyed by how holding the Back button makes you stop moving.

He's talking about the red Xs, there's no way that isn't just change for the sake of change. Not having classic flag settings is another change for the sake of it.

MYeager

okay, just making sure before i buy game. total system data says 9.7 but like i said usb drive only says 6.9

The second disk is the only one that requires an install, and the requirements I've read said that a 4gb free was needed. There are some older articles which state 8gb is needed, but the MP disk install was only about 3.5gb in size.

So can anyone tell me what the hell happened in the Halo 4 campaign? I just beat it last night. I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any sense at all. I'm also pretty sure that the relationship between Chief and Cortana got really weird and forced in this game.

I enjoyed the campaign gameplay for the most part. Although fighting endless waves of prometheans at the end got really boring. They're like the flood, but harder to kill.

rakka

experimenting with loadouts, at first used mobility and dexterity. pretty effective I liked being able to sprint whenever I want and blazingly fast reload and weapon switch.

then tried out combo of resupply and explosives or whatever it's called. can now pick up grenades off bodies AND they do more damage. can say it seems to be working well. might stick with this for a while.

what's everyone else using for the support perks?

He's talking about the red Xs, there's no way that isn't just change for the sake of change. Not having classic flag settings is another change for the sake of it.
yeah I miss the old ctf style. oh and all caps for the killfeed and gamertags , I hate that too. looks bad, takes longer to read. medals all look too similar now as well. the list goes on for all the useless and backwards changes.

experimenting with loadouts, at first used mobility and dexterity. pretty effective I liked being able to sprint whenever I want and blazingly fast reload and weapon switch.

then tried out combo of resupply and explosives or whatever it's called. can now pick up grenades off bodies AND they do more damage. can say it seems to be working well. might stick with this for a while.

what's everyone else using for the support perks?

I use mobility and dex pretty exclusively. I like what you're using, it just pisses me off that you have to trade other cool perks to make grenades feel like a normal halo game.

TUROK

No, he was quoting someone who mentioned that bodies and weapons disappear faster from the ground.

Apath

I personally really dislike that Regicide is the FFA gametype now. It's fun every-so-often, but one of my friend only likes playing FFA, so I end up playing the majority of my games in this gametype. As others have said, it definitely feels a lot more luck than skill. And being the king absolutely sucks. It's like being a giant beacon and a bullet magnet at the same time.

BearPawB

Banned
I personally really dislike that Regicide is the FFA gametype now. It's fun every-so-often, but one of my friend only likes playing FFA, so I end up playing the majority of my games in this gametype. As others have said, it definitely feels a lot more luck than skill. And being the king absolutely sucks. It's like being a giant beacon and a bullet magnet at the same time.

Being the king is awesome! I dare people to come after me with my overshield

harrytang

i tried it but didnt get what was going on. i thought i was only supposed to kill the king. left everyone else alone. end up with most king kills and 7th overall. am i just supposed to kill everyone?

MYeager

I'm certain FFA will return, as a new game that want people to experience their new gametypes and not immediately ignore them for ones they are more familiar with. Bungie in the past shuffled their playlists often, and I'm hoping 343 will as well.

Personally I'm disappointed that they spent so much time on Forge but not on giving an easy method of sharing created content. They should've looked to how Trials: Evolution set up how created content is shared in their game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I miss dual-wielding and being able to pick up random weapons strewn throughout the map. I'm sort of thinking that they need to be more liberal with the weapons that spawn on the map. Everything has just been BR/DMR all day long so far.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Might be just me, but I'm not liking the campaign that much. I liked 3 better...

Haven't touched multiplayer yet. I'm pretty sure I will love that :D

LordAlu

I certainly agree that the radar is overpowered. The constant refreshing (rather than every few seconds) means you can keep track of people so easily. By far the worst thing though is the arrows around the edge that pick up people outside radar range. You just can't flank or sneak around anymore unless you're crouched, which makes you so slow you take an age to get anywhere. It really needs some tweaking.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm certain FFA will return, as a new game that want people to experience their new gametypes and not immediately ignore them for ones they are more familiar with. Bungie in the past shuffled their playlists often, and I'm hoping 343 will as well.
Last night's bulletin confirmed that playlist updates will be happening on a weekly basis — SWAT is coming next week.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Holy shit, the Scorpion sounds and feels more brutal than ever in this game. I love it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So new Spartan Ops every Monday? Sounds good to me.

Yeah, it only occurred to me now what weekly actually means in terms of the amount of content. I look forward to playing more!

Yeah, it only occurred to me now what weekly actually means in terms of the amount of content. I look forward to playing more!
Did a solo run of each chapter on heroic, which took me about 25 minutes each. Got enough experience to build out two loadouts. Then did them again with a co-op buddy, then a group of three of us on legendary. We finally discovered our team groove and burned through each chapter in about 12-13 minutes of seriously intense firefights - Promethean Knights were made for legendary - their mobility seems to be intensified, and their melee lethality is through the roof. They are properly dangerous and keep you on your toes and working as a team. Crawler and watcher packs also teach you to move in formations to avoid getting surrounded.

And to think we're getting a total of 50 of these missions for season one. I am loving this.

BTW - A lifesaver for me when soloing these missions has been Hologram. Its got too many uses both on offense and defense. So if you're hitting a wall, its something to consider. Also, while thrust pack doesn't seem to offer all that much mobility, it has saved my ass at least a dozen times already. I'm having a hard time using any other AA at the moment.

Holy shit, the Scorpion sounds and feels more brutal than ever in this game. I love it.

I felt that every time i found a new weapon or vehicle. Just so much better than even Reach. They absolutely nailed the sounds down packed. Great stuff. Even that sniper crack after you shoot it. Or the Ghost. Just lovin it.

Kerub

Banned
I might be remembering previous Halo games wrong, but didn't earlier games let you destroy a vehicle with a single plasma grenade? In multiplayer that is.

I've stuck a few ghosts with plasma grenades but they always need two grenades to be destroyed.

I might be remembering previous Halo games wrong, but didn't earlier games let you destroy a vehicle with a single plasma grenade? In multiplayer that is.

I've stuck a few ghosts with plasma grenades but they always need two grenades to be destroyed.

I've found that in general, grenades are much less useful in this game. Weaker and with a very narrow blast radius.

Combined with not being able to pick up stray grenades by default, the game certainly has a lot less grenade spam in my experience. But it does make using them much more frustrating, like using them on vehicles as you say.

Hmm...played the first two level....and it's really good so far. Graphics, controls...it just feels right.
Does it get even better?

I only played Team-Deathmatch three times but I really liked it. The movement is way faster than in SP so I have to get used to it.

Hmm...played the first two level....and it's really good so far. Graphics, controls...it just feels right.
Does it get even better?

I only played Team-Deathmatch three times but I really liked it. The movement is way faster than in SP so I have to get used to it.

For me personally, i felt like the game got better as it progressed, even story wise. Lots of diversity in the levels. I have to replay it but as of now, there aren't any levels i didn't enjoy. Its up there with CE for me. Or at the very least, the closest to CE its ever been. And this is with no library problems a la CE.

For me personally, i felt like the game got better as it progressed, even story wise. Lots of diversity in the levels. I have to replay it but as of now, there aren't any levels i didn't enjoy. Its up there with CE for me. Or at the very least, the closest to CE its ever been. And this is with no library problems a la CE.
Is this the first Halo game with no backtracking? Seems so.

Because people are familiar with it and don't realize it wasn't designed for this game.

And yet works so beautifully.

They need to remove voting in MP and put an automatic map rotation.

Voting doesn't work since people will always choose the same maps. And if there's easy exploits on a map, then they choose it even more often in hopes to take advantage. Voting just doesn't work because it relies on people, and people in general don't wanna try new shit unless their forced into it.

vatstep

I felt that every time i found a new weapon or vehicle. Just so much better than even Reach. They absolutely nailed the sounds down packed. Great stuff. Even that sniper crack after you shoot it. Or the Ghost. Just lovin it.
I mostly agree, but I think the DMR had more punch to it in Reach. Maybe that's just me.

I really love the sound/feel of the Suppressor, too. I guess it's just a Promethean AR, but it's much more satisfying to use.

Also, while thrust pack doesn't seem to offer all that much mobility, it has saved my ass at least a dozen times already. I'm having a hard time using any other AA at the moment.
I've been able to jet out of the way of death on more than a couple of occasions (when I can remember that I actually have an AA to use other than Sprint, lol) in Spartan Ops. If only I could take screenshots... ;_;

Everdred

So after campaign on Legendary (solo) and 20 hours of multiplayer, I think this has my favorite campaign and least favorite multiplayer in the series.

I mostly agree, but I think the DMR had more punch to it in Reach. Maybe that's just me.

I really love the sound/feel of the Suppressor, too. I guess it's just a Promethean AR, but it's much more satisfying to use.

You mean sound wise or damage wise? Cause ive been absolutely destroying with it in 4, a lot more than i even did in Reach.

G_Berry

Banned
Huge Halo 4 advert covering St Ann's Church here in Manchester. Looks better than the scaffolding that was on show previously...

img2489uv.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Ann%27s_Church,_Manchester
Hey cool. I was in Manchester like 2 weeks ago!

Home town FTW!

sorry if mentioned, but I just wanted to give props to 343 for their amazing terminal videos. I thought the ones in anniversary were good, but the ones in this are just amazing and I've yet to unlock the last 2.

Top Bottom