• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

JackHerer

I still don't see how Extraction is anything but a alternate form of Territories. It's not like you're moving anything.

The only difference is that now you don't have to be in the territory to capture it. You just have to initiate the capture. Also, only two territories active at a time will make it play differently for sure.

zap

I'm just watching the arcived stream.... man hard light shield looks almost as frustrating as armour lock. WHY 343? WHY?

Fuchsdh

Wondering how long it will take for my LE to get here from Amazon. Not really concerned... I can wait a week, I've waited this long (and I'm going to be crushed at work prolly.)

Amazing that people can get time off for this stuff :p

RIP 1 flag and assault.

I can understand those not being in MM for now, but why they aren't even in customs blows my mind. Hopefully 343 left some hooks in the game to add new gametypes, maybe they were working on those but couldn't finish their own take on them in time.

I still wish 343 would have allowed to alter the settings to emulate the classic experience more, its just a Halo staple to give the user that control. Still, I'm pumped.

MrDaravon

Finally found some Game Fuel after checking a few different stores for a couple of weeks. I'm sure by the end of the bottle I'll be perfectly fine with not having it again for a few more years.

Oh the talks about the Whitelist are true?

I get the game tomorrow... perhaps I should let someone know rather than dealing with being banned.

Based on the review embargo going up tonight, as well as the splash screen people were getting when connecting online (that stated that servers were going to be up and down until 11/1, and to contact your PR rep with any questions) my guess is that they'll probably turn off the whitelisting tomorrow to coincide with all that. If nothing else they have to disable it at some point prior to launch; with millions of copies hitting distribution you're going to start seeing people getting copies "legitimately" at least 2-3 days prior to launch.

Any good comprehensive guide to what all the pre-order bonuses are listing/showing the armor as well as exactly what comes with the LE game/console. I'm still foggy on this.

Just had a meeting and now have to lose my Halo days - too much work to do. Best I can get now is an extended weekend.

But at least we get Tuesday off here at work to vote. So there's that.

*looks back at the cat helmet on the table behind my desk, next to the emergency box of mountain dew.*

Wondering how long it will take for my LE to get here from Amazon. Not really concerned... I can wait a week, I've waited this long (and I'm going to be crushed at work prolly.)

I was wondering that as well. I have a regular version preordered from Newegg for my son. Wonder which 1 will get here 1st.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Halo 4 we have:
Slayer
CTF
Oddball
Regicide
Flood
Dominion
King of the Hill
Extraction

Still unsure. Meh.

It would be awesome if a bunch of those were consolidated into 4-5 lists. Would be excellent for skill-matching.

I'm just watching the arcived stream.... man hard light shield looks almost as frustrating as armour lock. WHY 343? WHY?

In effect, it's no worse than having universal sprint if you're talking about being "cheated" out of kills. It's slow to deploy, meaning the person is probably going to use it to move away, not interrupt a rifle 1v1. It also doesn't stop the game, vulnerable to nades etc.

Overall seems like it grants false security more than anything.

I am just saddened by the lack of various game-types this time around. I'm talking about "party" game-types. Remember when Bungie added "Action Sack!" and various other random game-types where loads of players came up with ridiculous types of game-types with it? I wonder if we'll be seeing that this time around. It just seems like 343 is trying to "cut back" on the amount of game-types. Is disc space a cause as well? Even with Reach having Firefight, Theater (support for campaign and firefight) a full campaign and forge, it still had all those game-types.

Compare/Contrast

Halo Reach:
Slayer
CTF
Oddball
Territories
Assault
Race
Infection
Stockpile
Juggernaught
Invasion
King of the Hill
VIP?

Halo 4 we have:
Slayer
CTF
Oddball
Regicide
Flood
Dominion
King of the Hill
Extraction

Still unsure. Meh.

I think it will be fine. Most of the gametypes in Reach were played to a minimum except maybe infection and BTB variants like territories. I think the re-vamped and new gametypes will bring a lot more interesting gameplay to the table to make up for it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, 20 pages already. It's cool to see so many gaming side people joining in the whinefest cesspool that is HaloGAF discussion.

I think it will be fine. Most of the gametypes in Reach were played to a minimum except maybe infection and BTB variants like territories. I think the re-vamped and new gametypes will bring a lot more interesting gameplay to the table to make up for it.

I do agree what the other guy said tho that the extraction one and dominion kinda do the same fucking thing.

zap

In effect, it's no worse than having universal sprint if you're talking about being "cheated" out of kills. It's slow to deploy, meaning the person is probably going to use it to move away, not interrupt a rifle 1v1. It also doesn't stop the game, vulnerable to nades etc.

Overall seems like it grants false security more than anything.

That was my original view of it, but in the stream there were several cases where he missed a kill cos the enemy deployed a hard light shield at the last minute to save themselves and with instant repsawn, tema mates were there to clean up. :/

That was my original view of it, but in the stream there were several cases where he missed a kill cos the enemy deployed a hard light shield at the last minute to save themselves and with instant repsawn, tema mates were there to clean up. :/

And what was the problem with that? He outsmarted his opponent.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I do agree what the other guy said tho that the extraction one and dominion kinda do the same fucking thing.

Flag and Assault are basically inverts of each-other too, so it's not a new phenomena.

@Silly.Mikey, it's the old "he won because he picked x in the loadout screen." Which is the unfortunate reality of this custom class system, but I don't think HLS will be nearly as bad as AR or even Jetpack.

So wait, 1 flag can't even be created with the custom options????

Theyve done such a great job so far and now they fuck up the things you usually cant fuck up......

Maybe. We haven't heard a comment about it from 343, nor have we heard about it being doable from anyone who has the game.

TheOddOne

First pa...

Oh.

Holy FUCK.
Oh Ryan I feel for you. Maybe Heckfu has some kind words...

iUcMrv2ThehDO.gif

Is the hard light shield indestructible for a time period? Or does it have its own hit points? Will it absorb a rocket or a fuel rod shot? Does the wearer still get splash damage from those kind of direct hits?

Is the hard light shield indestructible for a time period? Or does it have its own hit points? Will it absorb a rocket or a fuel rod shot? Does the wearer still get splash damage from those kind of direct hits?

It's indestructible, but I do think large explosive weapons will kill the hard light shield user anyway.

zap

By picking an Armour Ability that the other player has NO idea that it has been chosen, until too late to do anything about it.

That's hardly 'outsmarting his opponent' - it's a crutch.

E0h5z.gif

By picking an Armour Ability that the other player has NO idea that it has been chosen, until too late to do anything about it.

That's hardly 'outsmarting his opponent' - it's a crutch.

E0h5z.gif

God, now were back on the AA debate. Jesus fucking christ, talk about beating a dead horse.

It's indestructible, but I do think large explosive weapons will kill the hard light shield user anyway.

Well, it does not stop vehicles. :D
Sounds good. Thanks for the replies.

I can see that being of use in objective games to protect the carrier - and maybe in some Spartan Ops missions.

Uhm, grenades are still a threat and shooting at it also reduces the usage of it.
Waitasec, that sounds like it has defacto hit points.

Redford

aka Cabbie
God, now were back on the AA debate. Jesus fucking christ, talk about beating a dead horse.

Yeah, it's not worth arguing about IMO, aside from PV they all look pretty evened out.

Personally I'll probably use Thruster, I can't think of any other that I like except Hologram.

Holy shit. We just got handed notices that they are brining in the national guard in my area. No power forat least 10 more days. My local store is in the same zone. Fuck me.

MrDaravon

It's really weird seeing people who haven't been following the game closely or are part of HaloGAF come in and have these horrible realizations about certain things in (or not in) the game.

Is anyone having a problem viewing the twitch archive? It won't allow me to skip around, if I try it just takes me back to the beginning :/

broony

Was yours the standard or LE?

LE. Just logged into the account and its listed as processing. I've not ordered from them before. Do they usually show as despatched when they are despatched or can they actually be posted when still listed as processing like some other sites?

Anyway, it's all very exciting. Ha.

Top Bottom