• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

It's really weird seeing people who haven't been following the game closely or are part of HaloGAF come in and have these horrible realizations about certain things in (or not in) the game.

Is anyone having a problem viewing the twitch archive? It won't allow me to skip around, if I try it just takes me back to the beginning :/

Yeah, I'm having issues too.

The shield is nowhere close to armor lock.

Shields don't recharge when deployed.

You only get 2-3 seconds with it. It does not have an EMP blast, and you're vulnerable from all other sides.

zap

Well see how bad it is after the sales numbers come in.

Yes, because we all know that ONLY games that are balanced will sell well. Especially ones with massive marketing campaigns and huge brand recognition.

You're absolutely right, sales are the best measure of a games balance. Thanks for showing us all the light!

Sordid

LE. Just logged into the account and its listed as processing. I've not ordered from them before. Do they usually show as despatched when they are despatched or can they actually be posted when still listed as processing like some other sites?

Anyway, it's all very exciting. Ha.

It'll show as posted and they'll send you an image of your parcel because they print their own Royal Mail labels. It won't actually be posted yet though, they always process pre-orders pretty early, if we're lucky we'll get it on Monday. As long as it's on time I'll be happy though, my Reach console arrived a day late because of Game and everyone on my friends list was lording it up over me :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What one considers a bad idea, another considers a great one. Eh, I like armor abilities.
They're fun, but they're counter to the level playing field that Halo is based on. Unfortunately, neither Bungie nor 343 seem to care about that.

Pavaloo

I've always wondered this, if Armor Lock was a locked a first-person event where the player can only see his fist on the ground, would it be as problematic as players say it is?

EvB

LE. Just logged into the account and its listed as processing. I've not ordered from them before. Do they usually show as despatched when they are despatched or can they actually be posted when still listed as processing like some other sites?

I've just paid for mine, I'm hoping that will speed things along!

broony

It'll show as posted and they'll send you an image of your parcel because they print their own Royal Mail labels. It won't actually be posted yet though, they always process pre-orders pretty early. If we're lucky we'll get it on Monday.

Ok thanks. Boo.

Squire

Banned
LIVE says that everyone who plays the game online before November 20 will get a code for early access to six specializations.

Same.

They added another pillar to the Shoot-Grenade-Melee formula, which is fine. And its much better than Halo 3's equipment in my book.

And i love how they even put in non AA playlists like slayer pro for those same whiners who don't like them, and they still whine. Never ends.

Ken

I've always wondered this, if Armor Lock was a locked a first-person event where the player can only see his fist on the ground, would it be as problematic as players say it is?

No it would just be a stupid solution to rectify a stupid problem.

zap

They're fun, but they're counter to the level playing field that Halo is based on. Unfortunately, neither Bungie nor 343 seem to care about that.

Yes, this.

I was pointing out that a get of jail free card is not fun to fight against and in the stream hard light shield was used that way several times, which worries me how bad it will be in MM.

And i love how they even put in non AA playlists like slayer pro for those same whiners who don't like them, and they still whine. Never ends.

I too love being relegated to one playlist.

Pavaloo

I see what you're saying, but I see the playing field being even when the AA's are available to anyone and they just have to change their loadout to adapt.

Conor 419

Banned

You will get an e-mail with a photo of the package.

Yes, because we all know that ONLY games that are balanced will sell well. Especially ones with massive marketing campaigns and huge brand recognition.

You're absolutely right, sales are the best measure of a games balance. Thanks for showing us all the light!

AA aren't going anywhere, time to accept it and move on with your life.

Yes, this.

I was pointing out that a get of jail free card is not fun to fight against and in the stream hard light shield was used that way several times, which worries me how bad it will be in MM.

I too love being relegated to one playlist.

Sucks to be you.

Redford

aka Cabbie

It's more fun for the casual player, though. Even Reach is lauded as being more fun than any of the rest if you take a single step outside HaloGAF, Bnet etc.

While I share the opinion of most competitive fans, it's not hard to see in the gameplay of random journos and convention attendees that getting donged on in a barebones shooter is not nearly as enjoyable as having a cool pocket superpower.

So yeah, sucks for us but there's no use bitching at Silly.Mikey or players who have not invested in the game to reach the threshold where they are competent players. I know fun is a buzzword but that's what they want to have at the end of the day.

Raide

Sounds good. Thanks for the replies.

I can see that being of use in objective games to protect the carrier - and maybe in some Spartan Ops missions.

I heard that for KotH stuff, player AA's are locked out, so you would have to be outside the hill to use it. I wonder if that is a custom thing or not.

TheOddOne

It is explained in the OP:
Halo 4's progression is a major departure for the series, making many of the items unlocked affect gameplay, rather than pure cosmetics (though there are plenty of those as well). In most other ways, it builds on ideas introduced in Reach. For a detailed review of the progression system, head here.

Rank
Players progress through ranks, dubbed Spartan Ranks, 1-50 through Spartan XP earned during War Games, Spartan Ops and Forge. Spartan points are awarded at each rank, which can be spent unlocking items in the armory. Custom load out items are joined by cosmetic armor, decals and such to customize your Spartan IV with.

XP is also earned by completing Commendations (expanded to ~120) and Challenges.

Specializations
Once SR-50 is reached, players next choose one of eight paths, each of which consists of 10 additional ranks, and which unlock their own set of armor, decals, weapon skins and armor mods. Only one Specialization can be worked on at a time, and must be completed before moving to the next.

At launch two are available, with the rest to be unlocked down the road by 343, unless you have early access via marketing promotions (namely the LE edition of the game or playing prior to Halo 4). Yes, this is confusing and sucks. For more on Specializations, head here.

FyreWulff

Wake up to no visible skill ranks at all?

Noice.

Interesting. So they have a rank system but its hidden from players. That was pretty much what people thought it would be like but I wonder why they wanted to hide it.

Because visible skill ranks are completely broken.

It's more fun for the casual player, though. Even Reach is lauded as being more fun than any of the rest if you take a single step outside HaloGAF, Bnet etc.

While I share the opinion of most competitive fans, it's not hard to see in the gameplay of random journos and convention attendees that getting donged on in a barebones shooter is not nearly as enjoyable as having a cool pocket superpower.

So yeah, sucks for us but there's no use bitching at Silly.Mikey or players who have not invested in the game to reach the threshold where they are competent players. I know fun is a buzzword but that's what they want to have at the end of the day.

I play games to have fun. You want competent play join mlg.

zap

AA aren't going anywhere, time to accept it and move on with your life.

Sucks to be you.

Thanks for the amazing posts!

I especially appreciate where you attempt to shut down a valid concern I have from watching gameplay that came out today. First saying that it was outsmarting the opponent. Then when I show that it's not, you get mad about the fact that my concern is about an AA. The part where you tell me to accept it because it's not changing was a great help to alleviate my concerns. All closed off with an exceptional "sucks to be you."

Quality.

Jesus Christ.

At 1:25:13-14 in the stream, the player launches a hologram, it goes onto a dead body, and it starts teabagging.

THE HOLOGRAM STARTS TEABAGGING.

Pavaloo

It wouldn't slow down the game any less.

Sure, but so does camping. Sprint speeds it up, no? Paces of battles are always dynamic and have lots of variables to change the flow. I want to know how well it would balance the effect being considered OP.

Edit:
Jesus Christ.

At 1:25:13-14 in the stream, the player launches a hologram, it goes onto a dead body, and it starts teabagging.

THE HOLOGRAM STARTS TEABAGGING.

THIS IS AMAZING

I play games to have fun. You want competent play join mlg.
Exactly.

*pats trusty jetpack*

*dodges thrown tomato*

I always thought the Arena in Reach was a good idea, at least in theory. I wouldn't mind seeing it return in a new form, catered exclusively to the ultra competitive crowd.

Thanks for the amazing posts!

I especially appreciate where you attempt to shut down a valid concern I have from watching gameplay that came out today. First saying that it was outsmarting the opponent. Then when I show that it's not, you get mad about the fact that my concern is about an AA. The part where you tell me to accept it because it's not changing was a great help to alleviate my concerns. All closed off with an exceptional "sucks to be you."

Quality.

How did you show me hes not? Of course he is, you're just too stubborn in your old non AA ways to accept it. He could have used his ability at any time in the match, he could have been completely drained of it and yet he wasn't and right before he died, on a reflex he used it, waited for a teammate and got saved. You might not like it, but he outsmarted his opponent. The guy could have chucked a grenade right beside him to finish him off and was too slow to do so. He got outsmarted plain and simple.

Exactly.

*pats trusty jetpack*

*dodges thrown tomato*

I always thought the Arena in Reach was a good idea, at least in theory. I wouldn't mind seeing it return in a new form, catered exclusively to the ultra competitive crowd.

Sure, but it was also a very small playlist people wise. So although they might still believe they are the intended audience for these types of games, they aren't. They just like to bitch.

zap

How did you show me hes not? Of course he is, you're just too stubborn in your old non AA ways to accept it. He could have used his ability at any time in the match, he could have been completely drained of it and yet he wasn't and right before he died, on a reflex he used it, waited for a teammate and got saved. You might not like it, but he outsmarted his opponent. The guy could have chucked a grenade right beside him to finish him off and was too slow to do so. He got outsmarted plain and simple.

If I have a button that lets me be invincible, and use it at the right time - is that 'outsmarting' your opponent who doesn't know you have this button? No. That's not how outsmarting works. That's the player using his ability 'well' (pressing a button hardly counts as well, but whatever) - but it hasn't been conveyed to the other player, there is significant information asymmetry.

It's pretty much the same issue as armour lock, nerfed a bit.

Sure, but it was also a very small playlist people wise. So although they might still believe they are the intended audience for these types of games, they aren't. They just like to bitch.
We are of the exact same mind.

That should probably frighten you ;P

If I have a button that lets me be invincible, and use it at the right time - is that 'outsmarting' your opponent who doesn't know you have this button? No. That's not how outsmarting works. That's the player using his ability 'well' (pressing a button hardly counts as well, but whatever) - but it hasn't been conveyed to the other player, there is significant information asymmetry.
Kinda similar to getting the drop on somebody with a rocket launcher or sword, only you don't get an easy kill out of it.

Top Bottom