• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Pavaloo

If I have a button that lets me be invincible, and use it at the right time - is that 'outsmarting' your opponent who doesn't know you have this button? No. That's not how outsmarting works. That's the player using his ability 'well' (pressing a button hardly counts as well, but whatever) - but it hasn't been conveyed to the other player, there is significant information asymmetry.

It's pretty much the same issue as armour lock, nerfed a bit.

If I have a one hit kill weapon and the other player has no idea I see it resulting in the same kind of situation.

If I have a button that lets me be invincible, and use it at the right time - is that 'outsmarting' your opponent who doesn't know you have this button? No. That's not how outsmarting works. That's the player using his ability 'well' (pressing a button hardly counts as well, but whatever) - but it hasn't been conveyed to the other player, there is significant information asymmetry.

It's pretty much the same issue as armour lock, nerfed a bit.

The other player doesn't know anything. He doesn't know if you'll throw a grenade (or which ones you even have equipped), shoot, switch weapons, jump, or start dancing. So your point holds no weight. He used a AA that its main purpose is to "buy you time" and used it correctly. Thus, outplayed his opponent.

zap

Sure, but it was also a very small playlist people wise. So although they might still believe they are the intended audience for these types of games, they aren't. They just like to bitch.

The problem with Arena was that it was advertised as to cater to the 'super hardcore' - turning off decent people who wanted competitive games but didn't want to play against the super hardcore. The rank was hard to understand and was only visible in the small playlist, so there was no incentive to get a high rank - plus it had terrible settings with jetpack, AR starts, and different problems in some of the seasons.

Resetting the rank also lowered the incentive (I understand the reasoning behind it though) to play. It was horribly mismanaged - you can't tell me that it was just because the audience for ranked is small - see Halo 3 playlists to see huge numbers in Team Slayer etc. Yes, they are outnumbered by social, but there was a huge demand for ranked.

Sure, but it was also a very small playlist people wise. So although they might still believe they are the intended audience for these types of games, they aren't. They just like to bitch.
Oh please. It was a small population because the implementation fell flat on its face.
People were super excited about it pre-launch.

Redford

aka Cabbie
This.. I want this more than visible skill ranks.

Or more playlists were guests are prohibited to play.

It would be dividing the playerbase like the TU, but the distinction being not for a retarded reason like "crappy gameplay vs slightly less-crappy gameplay." Plus I'm fairly sure Halo 4 will have better legs than Reach in the next year.

The map pass is also going to cut down on all the DLC only playlists.

I can't get the fucking stream to work. Yeah, the replay. Doesn't work.

BLIMEY

This is God's way of telling you to take a break from all those streams

Homey pls
BibleThump.png

Pavaloo

That's why I'm not a fan of Halo 4's random weapon drops. In the old Halos, you always knew who had the power weapons.

Haha see for me it's the exact opposite. I hate entering a game where it literally becomes map memorization. Oh look they have all the power weapons, might as well just die.

Homeboyd

This is God's way of telling you to take a break from all those streams

Homey pls BibleThump
FUCK. I missed the whole thing because FUCKING work. Siggy isn't streaming. Can't see HALO FOUR STREAM. FUUUUUUCK.

shit

NO ranks. May not even get to play H4 next week. Don't have it preordered.

SHITTTTTTTTTT

FyreWulff

Yep. This would all be resolved if Ranked/Social returned though. Don't even need visible 1-50.

All Ranked / Social does is split userbases for a gametype or reduce the potential population by forcing lists not big enough to have both a Ranked and Social version into being Ranked.

Reach and I assume Halo 4 have a separate option to disallow guests in any playlist. The only way to block guests in Halo 3 was to make a playlist ranked, and that's mostly because Halo 3's setup was just a slightly updated version of Halo 2's setup. They've made the backend a lot more flexible since then.

IHaveIce

Banned
Haha see for me it's the exact opposite. I hate entering a game where it literally becomes map memorization. Oh look they have all the power weapons, might as well just die.

Yeah of course map control should be important and needs skill and not "oh look the sniper just dropped in front of me"

So the Reach system in other words. I'm guessing guests are still allowed in all playlists.

god I hope not, at least give me the option to say I don't want to be matched up with them :/

zap

We are of the exact same mind.

That should probably frighten you ;P

Kinda similar to getting the drop on somebody with a rocket launcher or sword, only you don't get an easy kill out of it.

If I have a one hit kill weapon and the other player has no idea I see it resulting in the same kind of situation.

The huge difference is, when someone else has a power weapon in previous Halos, you could predict that, because you know where and when they spawn!

Spawning with a rocket launcher for example and getting a kill when the other person doesn't know you have spawned with one is NOT outsmarting your opponent, is it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But there are numerous ways to know if someone has a power weapon in Halo. You can pay attention to weapon spawn locations and times, and predict if an enemy player grabs them. Your team mates can tell you if they got sniped, and where the sniper is. You can listen out for rockets or sniper fire, and approach with caution. You can see power weapons holstered on an opponent's back.

With armor abilities as loadouts, only some of those indicators are present.

Again, I think AAs will be a blast to use, but I also recognize that they're counter to the core of Halo. They're something I'd like to play around with in silly, random playlists like Multi Team -- not in the main, headlining Slayer playlist.

Edit : And hologram victory crouching is amazing. Well done, 343. <3

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Having an issue with that archived twitch video, it stops very early in right at the beginning of the haven match and it never picks back up.

Pavaloo

Yeah of course map control should be important and needs skill and not "oh look the sniper just dropped in front of me"

Such a deterrent to go online, be out-voted onto a map that I am completely new to and then get decimated because I don't have the time to memorize where the power weapons are. I like map control as the idea of capturing areas and holding them down, not so much, I have control of this area cause that's where the rocket launcher is and no one else can have it.

Weapon drops only happen on a kill streak correct? Like if you got 3 kills and died, you'd have to restart your way to a weapon drop on your next spawn?

The huge difference is, when someone else has a power weapon in previous Halos, you could predict that, because you know where and when they spawn!

Spawning with a rocket launcher for example and getting a kill when the other person doesn't know you have spawned with one is NOT outsmarting your opponent, is it?
The game has definitely changed. But using whatever advantages you can muster at opportune times is still the best way to succeed. I can definitely understand the lack of predictability, but then again its those insane and unforeseen events in Halo that I get a huge kick out of - it all comes down to how balanced everything is. Without a full on beta that's anybody's guess.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Well damn.

The store that seemed like they'd sell me an early copy is a no go. Oh well, guess I'm waiting til release night. 5 sleeps.

zap

The game has definitely changed. But using whatever advantages you can muster at opportune times is still the best way to succeed. I can definitely understand the lack of predictability, but then again its those insane and unforeseen events in Halo that I get a huge kick out of - it all comes down to how balanced everything is. Without a full on beta that's anybody's guess.

I was trying to explain to Silly Mikey (apt name really), that using HLS is hardly 'outsmarting your opponent.'

Looking over it, I apologise, I was blurring your discussion on hardcore playlists/accomodating that community with visual ranks.

I think they're fairly related, but not what ye were talking about specifically, sorry.

No im just saying that hardcore playlists in general are usually pretty small and that Halo 4 probably wasn't designed with the super hardcore players first and foremost in mind which is why AA are still in.

Having AA might make the game more unpredictable, but then again so do grenades. Opponents don't know which grenades you have or if you'll use them. Theres no way your opponent knows which you have equipped or if you even have any on you. Same shit. Using AA at the right time takes just as much strategy as does playing a move in chess while thinking 2 moves ahead. You can use them properly and save your life, or badly and die. I see skill in that where others see a cop-out. I dont agree.

Redford

aka Cabbie
All Ranked / Social does is split userbases for a gametype or reduce the potential population by forcing lists not big enough to have both a Ranked and Social version into being Ranked.

Reach and I assume Halo 4 have a separate option to disallow guests in any playlist. The only way to block guests in Halo 3 was to make a playlist ranked, and that's mostly because Halo 3's setup was just a slightly updated version of Halo 2's setup. They've made the backend a lot more flexible since then.

I just hope guests-allowed/loose matchmaking isn't the norm again, is all. And that they make an effort to communicate where certain types of players should go without ghettoizing competitive ala Arena with scary descriptions and pigeonholing people (at launch) into 1 playlist.

Awesome, but will it scale? Almost as foolhardy as what they're doing with Miiverse.

Top Bottom