• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

The ghost is like a mini tank in this game, long as the shots hit the ghost and not yourself you can take quite a barge of bullets before it blows up.

I also stunned a tank earlier today with the PP and attempted to grab it from behind but no prompt came up, driver was still in there, can you not do so while it is PP'd?

Which limited edition code gets you the future map packs? I didn't see any that were obviously the map pack.

I was surprised how little the player count dropped when I went back to play still 70k online.

Wait till Tuesday. Plus a lot of people are just getting the game. Some of this can be patched like not having you shot altered when scoped. You have snipers not just sitting there all over the place, DMR's as well. If my shields are low I have no shot because if I lay a shot into him he can just keep plugging away. Unlimited sprints with assassinations? Maybe shields need to be lowered before you can assassinate someone. Remember in MW the team that would just go around sprinting and knifing people? I run into that now in H4 and it sucks.

ha, he's not the only one. As much as I don't want to I might eventually go back to playing reach. even with AAs its still much more halo than 4 will ever be. it's a damn shame.

i'll keep playing til I unlock the next specialization though. don't want to give up on it yet, I mean, it's a damn good looking game for one.

I totally agree with this. I want to love H4.

jet1911

Wait till Tuesday. Plus a lot of people are just getting the game. Some of this can be patched like not having you shot altered when scoped. You have snipers not just sitting there all over the place, DMR's as well. If my shields are low I have no shot because if I lay a shot into him he can just keep plugging away. Unlimited sprints with assassinations? Maybe shields need to be lowered before you can assassinate someone. Remember in MW the team that would just go around sprinting and knifing people? I run into that now in H4 and it sucks.

If you are getting killed by an assassination it's your own damn fault. The radar clearly show every moves of the ennemies. If you can't see someone coming up on you from behing you totally deserve to die. Some of you have the weirdest complaints...

Overall, most of the armor (especially the helmets) looks like shit, but it looks better than Reach's taped-on and floating armor pieces.

Ignore the VCR taped to my face.
I'm just glad that the Mk VI came out relatively unscathed. Looks great IMO, much better than the chunky Spartans of Reach who looked like they had tiny heads when you put the Mk VI helmet on them. I agree though, most of the armour pieces in the game aren't that compelling.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think some of the spots have a higher weighting for certain weapons than others - the sides of the Solace snipe ledges tend to favor Railguns and Sticky Detonators, while there are a few spots just in front of the sniper ledges that tend to favor Incineration Cannons. I just don't like that there's no way to predict any of it, that it doesn't appear to actually be on a rotation, but that the spot is randomly picked. It's not just my resistance to any change, either, I actually love what the loadouts have brought to the game.

There's a real core of greatness to this game that I hope they're able to find and bring to the forefront past all this structural stuff.

I don't think that'll help him that much, that gametype pretty much turns into Heavies after five minutes.

Yea I'm running through weapon spawns right now on Solace and they're so weird. The time is predictable so if you know the spawn locations, you can know which weapons have spawned just by quick process of elimination. You could wait at one spawn and if you're right, great but if not then you're on somewhat equal footing with everyone else. What's weird though is (on Solace at least) that there are some weapons that spawn for just 1 base while nothing spawns on the other side. And the way Solace works, it's not a huge deal because (right now at least) the spawns aren't tied to one base.

edit: I think I can say with a little bit of confidence that if you're in front of any of the bases, every 2 minutes, you'll be in pretty good position for a weapon drop. It seems to be 50/50 though.

sp3000

It sort of sucks that the gunplay in Halo 4 is pretty good, yet everything that surrounds it is not.

The problem is everything that surrounds it is designed without thought, or any semblance of proper design beyond "we want to get new players by being like COD"

The entire MP just feels bland as a result of the various systems that have been removed from previous Halo games.
The entire ordnance system is idiotic. It's a severe dumbing down that seems to work when you play 1 game, but when you start playing 10 or 15 games you see it break down before you. There is no map control at all in this game. Power weapons are regularlythrown out from the sky.

The difference between a game like Battlefield 3 that takes inspiration from COD, and Halo 4, is that with Battlefield 3 the designers chose which systems would integrate well into the existing gameplay, and did not integrate the ones that did not like the whole perk system.

In Halo 4, the designers have taken a much more heavy inspiration from COD, there was obviously a broad directive by either Microsoft or the design team to make the game simpler at the cost of depth, and it shows at all levels in the multiplayer.
All the way from the little things like not un zooming when shot at to the inability to have options for CTF in custom games, to not being able to choose whether you want to join in progress.

And Promethean Vision is pretty much the armor lock of this game. A ability that is so ridiculously overpowered and negates the others that you have to wonder what the playtesters were thinking.

If you are getting killed by an assassination it's your own damn fault. The radar clearly show every moves of the ennemies. If you can't see someone coming up on you from behing you totally deserve to die. Some of you have the weirdest complaints...

No radar in team slayer pro but thanks for stopping by.

DD-11

bunch of nonsense

H4 MP has problems, but everything you say here is what we heard from months leading up to release. It doesn't seem to me that you have even played the game and that you don't have the knowledge of competitive shooters that you think you do.

Edit:
Plywood said:
Solace is the worst map on H4.

Yup.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Crossposting this from Community.

Is the first HaloGAF Customs night going to be held this weekend?

hgc.png

Simple Rules

• No Forge Maps
  • No Forge Maps

Halo 4 is getting on my nerves already in similar ways that another shooter did that I've stopped playing.

When I feel the frustration of the DMR in team slayer games I go play flood for half an hour, calms the blood for me and flood is just mad fun in this version, jet boosting zombies? amazing!

Also dat lunge, never get's old using it to climb walls to reach the humans.

Fun challenge: try to assassinate a human as the flood, biggest trolling since teabags.

It sort of sucks that the gunplay in Halo 4 is pretty good, yet everything that surrounds it is not.

The problem is everything that surrounds it is designed without thought, or any semblance of proper design beyond "we want to get new players by being like COD"

The entire MP just feels bland as a result of the various systems that have been removed from previous Halo games.
The entire ordnance system is idiotic. It's a severe dumbing down that seems to work when you play 1 game, but when you start playing 10 or 15 games you see it break down before you. There is no map control at all in this game. Power weapons are regularlythrown out from the sky.

The difference between a game like Battlefield 3 that takes inspiration from COD, and Halo 4, is that with Battlefield 3 the designers chose which systems would integrate well into the existing gameplay, and did not integrate the ones that did not like the whole perk system.

In Halo 4, the designers have taken a much more heavy inspiration from COD, there was obviously a broad directive by either Microsoft or the design team to make the game simpler at the cost of depth, and it shows at all levels in the multiplayer.
All the way from the little things like not un zooming when shot at to the inability to have options for CTF in custom games, to not being able to choose whether you want to join in progress.

And Promethean Vision is pretty much the armor lock of this game. A ability that is so ridiculously overpowered and negates the others that you have to wonder what the playtesters were thinking.

This is the way the OT's have been going for months. If anyone complains they are killed in these threads even if its the truth. The bottom line is, you don't cut and paste things from another top title without backlash and anyone in here who thinks a shit ton of people are turned off by this have not been paying attention.

One suggestion I have for the power weapon problem is if you do get a ordinance and you die before using it then its gone. I can have an ordinance drop and die only to be in a better position to call it when I spawn and nobody is around. If it is a true reward then you shouldnt retain it when you die.

see5harp

Aw I like the Flood/infection game type in Halo 4 more than ever. When you are down to last man standing and you pop off like 4 straight zombie kills I feel like God. It's a nice distraction after a bunch of losses in a row.

Kibbles

Check campaign commendations, it did the same thing to me. I did get the achievements but it never registered Mission 7 or 8 for me. So I had to redo them but did get the armor after that.
Ahh yup says he didn't complete Midnight, even though I did it with him and unlocked it myself >.> Thanks

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Popular franchises with MP on their 4th/5th/6th iteration are so much more intense right out the gate than a new IP.

I fancy myself a pretty good Halo player and from day 1 in Halo 4 I felt as thought I've had to fight pretty hard for every win. Back in Halo 2/3 it took weeks for the general population to reach an even semi-decent skill set. I distinctly remember just absolutely smashing faces game after game back in the day.

I can't imagine what its like for a newcomer to the series to try and hop on right now and "see what all the Halo fuss is about".

MP servers just go down? says i'm not on XBL in the game but I am on my xbox.

Popular franchises with MP on their 4th/5th/6th iteration are so much more intense right out the gate than a new IP.

I fancy myself a pretty good Halo player and from day 1 in Halo 4 I felt as thought I've had to fight pretty hard for every win. Back in Halo 2/3 it took weeks for the general population to reach an even semi-decent skill set. I distinctly remember just absolutely smashing faces game after game back in the day.

I can't imagine what its like for a newcomer to the series to try and hop on right now and "see what all the Halo fuss is about".

I think in general the MP side of things is more competitive then it used to be years ago for all online games, the charm of playing online is overpowered by trying to win.

Raide

This is the way the OT's have been going for months. If anyone complains they are killed in these threads even if its the truth. The bottom line is, you don't cut and paste things from another top title without backlash and anyone in here who thinks a shit ton of people are turned off by this have not been paying attention.

One suggestion I have for the power weapon problem is if you do get a ordinance and you die before using it then its gone. I can have an ordinance drop and die only to be in a better position to call it when I spawn and nobody is around. If it is a true reward then you shouldnt retain it when you die.

Or maybe they should have Ordinance stack. First one is just something like shield recharged, or ammo refill etc. Fill it again and its grenades. Third fill is a power weapon from a choice of three. Die and it resets it down one level. Kinda like charging a Super Bar in a fighting game. :D

Is it me or player movement has been sped up, and health points have been diminished? In any case, the game feels significantly more fast-paced with shorter exchanges. For example, in Reach one of my go-to moves is to switch to the magnum once I emptied my rifle's clip. Now, if my clip is empty and my opponent is still alive, I'm already dead. I miss the slower, more methodical approach of Reach. There's something to be said about longer, more memorable battles. Now it's kill kill die, kill kill die and there's barely any time for the dust to settle or strategies to be devised.

Also, grenades and armor abilities seems to have been nerfed. Which I wouldn't mind so much if power weapons weren't so omnipresent.

Anyway, not a bad game, but I sometimes I feel like I'm playing CoD: Future Warfare more than Halo 4.

MrDaravon

I have to disagree on this one; I was average/slightly above average in previous Halo games (something like a 1.2 K/D in 3 and Reach), and so far this game has been mostly donging on bad kids, I've been consistently at a 2.0 K/D. Any of the smaller, more "competitive" playlists like Slayer Pro or CTF you'll see stiffer opposition, but not with any consistency, and people in most of the other playlists like BTB, Dominion, Oddball, and KotH seem to be mostly terrible. I expect that to change once people either migrate to CoD or fall off normally in the next couple of weeks/months, but I've never done this well off the bat in a Halo game. Quite frankly though I'm playing it like I play CoD, and not how I usually play Halo, so make of that what you will.

Most of my friends who were huge Halo fans who were mostly turned off by Reach are already asking when CoD comes out though. While Halo 4 obviously takes many cues from CoD (regardless of whether or not some people want to admit it), it definitely does not go all the way in that direction in any sense. However it seems like from a semi-casual player perspective it is basically Call of Halo. I had two different conversations with friends yesterday who both said that the game feels like Call of Duty which is fine, but when Call of Duty comes out why wouldn't they just play that instead? While factually you could point to any number of things that makes Halo 4 NOT CoD, it's interesting if that is the impression the mass audience is getting. I said pre-launch my biggest concern wasn't whether or not the quality of the MP is good or not (it is), but that if Halo 4 is going to occupy this space somewhere in-between "traditional" Halo and CoD, is that going to be enough to differentiate it, and it seems like it's not.

All of that aside, I'm surprised that people would go back to Reach if they're dropping this; why not just go back to Halo 3? I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, I mean for reals. I'd much rather play that then Reach.

Just finished the game last night.

Is it okay to say I got a little teary eyed? Geez that was top notch IMO.
The story went where I wanted, it was the Halo I've always wanted. Some of the gameplay moments were a little frustrating on Heroic solo, but it didn't feel like they were being cheap.

The 3 main story elements that were better than any other Halo game for me were
- The whole intro. Halsey's interview with a montage, explaining the humanity of the chief and SPARTAN II program.
- Meeting the Librarian and her explanation of the Human-Forerunner war. Learning that the Chief is the antithesis to the Didact sounds aMAZing.
- The conclusion. Chief's "Cortana, please..." was one of the most touching moments in the franchise. Then seeing that all of earth (presumably) has been turned to ashes I was piiiiiiissed.

Overall: Campaign - 10/10. No joke. Not romancing. Sure some ammunition was sparse but overall I loved it. Amazing storytelling.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That title belongs to Complex.
Complex just needs spawn tweaking. Solace is all about getting pegged from fucktarded angles while trying to tread through an unnavigable POS, a ton of cover that just gets in the way and a useless bottom area.

REV 09

Just finished it. Loved the ending and overall focus in storytelling. The story isn't omg amazing, but they're clearly trying and it shows. The gameplay is a bit worse than previous halos, mostly due to smaller play spaces and slightly worse ai. The music and audio mixing is the most glaring issue. Overall it was really great though and I can't wait to play halo 5!!

ShogunX

That title belongs to Complex.

Complex is a decent map just do not play CTF on it because it's extremely lopsided in terms of flag bases. One flag is out in the open with little cover for the attacking team and the defenders spawn all around it when they die.

Not really sure how this wasn't play tested.

TheOddOne

Complex just needs spawn tweaking. Solace is all about getting pegged from fucktarded angles while trying to tread through an unnavigable POS, a ton of cover that just gets in the way and a useless bottom area.
I barely played on Solace and the matches I did play were decent, I guess time will tell for me.

MrDaravon

Just like all things people do not like change and then tend to blame those changes for average performances. Remember it's not your fault you died but instead some BS from the game.

To be fair there is some bullshit right now, it seems largely to revolve around the spawn locations. At least once every few games or so I will get spawn killed by an Incineration Cannon, Binary Rifle, or splattered. You're right 95% of the time, but there is some broken shit right now. I had a game yesterday where I was killed by a Warthog on Ragnarok, then I respawned 5 feet in front of the Warthog and it instantly splattered me.

ShogunX

Not only is that a baseless blanket statement, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

It's not baseless at all. It's an absolute fact that people will always blame the game instead of themselves in a lot of situations in MP. How many times do you hear people scream foul when they die? I do it my self an awful lot.

The story went where I wanted, it was the Halo I've always wanted. Some of the gameplay moments were a little frustrating on Heroic solo, but it didn't feel like they were being cheap.

- The whole intro. Halsey's interview with a montage, explaining the humanity of the chief and SPARTAN II program.
- Meeting the Librarian and her explanation of the Human-Forerunner war. Learning that the Chief is the antithesis to the Didact sounds aMAZing.
- The conclusion. Chief's "Cortana, please..." was one of the most touching moments in the franchise. Then seeing that all of earth (presumably) has been turned to ashes I was piiiiiiissed.

Overall: Campaign - 10/10. No joke. Not romancing. Sure some ammunition was sparse but overall I loved it. Amazing storytelling.
Regarding the 3rd point
It was only the city that was destroyed, not the entirety of Earth

i miss when you had to rush for power weapons, power ups, keep track of when it spawns etc. now your awarded power weapons even if you suck. hard to really enjoy when nearly every damn player is running around with a power weapon or one of all the new automatics in 4.

Play Slayer Pro. Seriously, it's amazing.

No personal ordinance, there's still random weapon drops, but if it's a good power weapon, it does cause that "oh the ______ is on the map, we gotta go get it" rush.

In fact anyone complaining they've changed the MP Halo formula too much...play Pro. I competed in Halo 2 in a few local tournaments and had a few friends go to a couple of MLG tournaments, we're pretty much in agreement that this is next best thing since H2. H3 and Reach are bastard children to us. If you share this opinion, I strongly suggest you play the Pro playlist.

Darklord

Banned
Is there a cut scene where
MC is sitting down, looking bummed out?
. I saw a screenshot of it but I dunno if it's in-game or out of some promo thing.

As a Halo fan from the beginning, not only is this easily the worst in the series but just an overall bad game. My mind is boggled by the reviews who claim otherwise. MP is a mess, the campaign was dreadfully dull and boring; I am just so dissappointed. Again, i stayed in complete dark up until release.

An ironic hyperbolic post. Go figure

People don't want to hear it.

Majanew

Banned

How can you give it a 10, when:
There wasn't even a fight against the Didact. Some bullshit QTE after all that buildup...are you fucking kidding me, 343? Cortana leaving is interesting story-wise, but the Didact was handle like shit gameplay-wise.

Top Bottom