• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Plasmid

I can't remember ever being stuck over an hour at a single encounter in Reach.

The pylon sequence was ridiculous. Taking out banshees is nigh-impossible with the provided weapons (light rifle, supressor, boltshot, storm rifle, needler), and taking them down with a plasma pistol means you have to let them come at you (and they will obviously fire at you) before firing at last second, which results in around 1/3 or 1/2 of your shields being drained. I can't tell you how many times an elite finished me off with a carbine while I tried to do this.
And I can't take out that elite because he is standing on top of the pylon and will retreat into the structure if I fire at him.
Even if I manage to PP the banshee, it mostly lands on the other side of some structure, and by the time I get there, it's airborne again.

Fuck yes that encounter was unfair as hell. Straight out of CoD4 grenade spam hell in terms of unfairness.

Funny thing with the huge gun in reach is you don't actually have to use it, you can just wait around until he says "FIRE IT NOW" and run up and do it.

that's what i did for my legendary solo run at least

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
After my first playthrough (heroic), I was pretty satisfied, mostly because of the story and freshness of the promethean enemies. After completing 50% of my legendary playthrough, I can say with confidence that I will NEVER touch the campaign again, except to grind some achievements in coop maybe.

I hate how every enemy is super accurate at all distances, I hate how every enemy is huge bullet sponge, and so on. How about making enemies play fair? With the same amount of bullet spread that you deal with?

For the record, I have completed every Halo game on Legendary, most of them multiple times. They were, at times, crushingly hard, but never as unfair and cheap as Halo 4 (except for the infamous Halo 2 Jackal snipers and rocket flood maybe).

7/10 score is pretty much justified, for SP at least.

Hopefully the MP is better - if not, I'm done with buying Halo games day one.

29959989.jpg

I don't get not liking a game because the hardest difficulty is, you know, hard. You said you liked the game on Heroic and that's the way it was supposed to be played, you were satisfied with how 343 intended the game to play.

[edit]

I know you'll say that it's not hard but broken but it's still legendary. You can think less of Halo 4's legendary setting but I don't see why that would make you dislike the game more.

I am slowly beating single player on legendary from the get go and TBH I am finding the AI lacking, so many times they will leave you alone if you move away and just stand there, elites will take shots until their shield pops and not move out of a set zone.

This is only a few levels in I should say but reach had some top notch elite AI and they would seriously scare me, here though they do not.

Well, after 12 days, I finally got power restored after Hurricane Sandy. Popped in Halo 4 for the first time last night. Did the first campaign mission, and all 5 Spartan Ops missions with a buddy.

I'm really enjoying it. Guns feel "heavy" and the shooting feels good. Had a ton of fun playing Spartan Ops, too. Cool to see it'll have new content every week.

Can't wait to play more of the campaign!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I am slowly beating single player on legendary from the get go and TBH I am finding the AI lacking, so many times they will leave you alone if you move away and just stand there, elites will take shots until their shield pops and not move out of a set zone.

This is only a few levels in I should say but reach had some top notch elite AI and they would seriously scare me, here though they do not.

That's the combat pretty much throughout. Oddly though, spartan ops this happens a lot less. At least it did for me.

Well, after 12 days, I finally got power restored after Hurricane Sandy. Popped in Halo 4 for the first time last night. Did the first campaign mission, and all 5 Spartan Ops missions with a buddy.

I'm really enjoying it. Guns feel "heavy" and the shooting feels good. Had a ton of fun playing Spartan Ops, too. Cool to see it'll have new content every week.

Can't wait to play more of the campaign!

I bet that feels amazing.

Izayoi

Banned
Ragnarok and Complex are by far the best big maps.

Exile is fucking terrible, though. Was that map ever play tested? It's an incoherent mess plagued by frequent framerate drops.

BearPawB

Banned
After my first playthrough (heroic), I was pretty satisfied, mostly because of the story and freshness of the promethean enemies. After completing 50% of my legendary playthrough, I can say with confidence that I will NEVER touch the campaign again, except to grind some achievements in coop maybe.

I hate how every enemy is super accurate at all distances, I hate how every enemy is huge bullet sponge, and so on. How about making enemies play fair? With the same amount of bullet spread that you deal with?

For the record, I have completed every Halo game on Legendary, most of them multiple times. They were, at times, crushingly hard, but never as unfair and cheap as Halo 4 (except for the infamous Halo 2 Jackal snipers and rocket flood maybe).

7/10 score is pretty much justified, for SP at least.

Hopefully the MP is better - if not, I'm done with buying Halo games day one.

29959989.jpg

Wow, what a whine fest.
I played and beat it on legendary without touching any other difficulty. I am also not that good at this game. There are 3 or 4 tough spots. But most of it is pretty managable. Don't hate the game that you are having trouble, its the toughest difficulty for a reason. If it was easy you would probably whine that you weren't dying enough

Campaign gets completely ruined playing co-op but in the absolute best of ways. No longer are you scavenging for ammo desperately hoping that Knight doesn't get the jump on you. Now it's more like:

INSTA-RESPAWN WITH FULL AMMO ON SUPPRESSOR AND BOLTSHOT
GO GO GO SHOOT YOUR GUN EVERYWHERE TAG TEAM THE FUCK OUT OF 'EM
BATTLEWAGON? DOUBLE DRAGON ASSASSINATION BITCHES

I have to say, I think this is the most fun I've ever had in Halo co-op.

It'd be interesting if they added a skull to compliment Iron (maybe call it Ingot or Redstone or Bedrock or something) that gives each of your co-op buddies a number of lives, let's say 10. After 10 deaths, it reverts to the last checkpoint. Same applies for single-player, except it restarts the level. Could be interesting.

FyreWulff

An artistic change I wish they would have made now that would have helped clarify part of the ending.

Before release, it was mentioned they made Cortana more 'solid' so people would feel she was more real. I get it, makes sense.

After playing the game, they should have saved that for the scene where she touches Chief. Also, throughout the game she's inconsistently solid or holographic. Sometimes when she's in a pedestal, she's solid (intro, other terminals). Sometimes she's holographic like 3/2/1. Or you'll plug her into something she's holographic in, and in the next cutscene she's solid.

I think it would have communicated the fact that she was 'real' now in the post-nuke hardlight cocoon more clearly if they had kept her holographic throughout the game up until that point, then finally made her solid for that scene. I think it would have made it more clear and it would have been more powerful.

Also, I still hate her face for this game. She's supposed to be stoic, wise, and mature. She looks like a 30 year old woman with a 13 year old's face in Halo 4 and naive.

Sanjuro

Well this is stupid. What is the point of 2XP? You can't gain XP, and it subtracts your total every game. Why would they do this?

Wow, what a whine fest.
I played and beat it on legendary without touching any other difficulty. I am also not that good at this game. There are 3 or 4 tough spots. But most of it is pretty managable. Don't hate the game that you are having trouble, its the toughest difficulty for a reason. If it was easy you would probably whine that you weren't dying enough
lol wut

I beat every single previous Halo on Legendary, some of them multiple times. I'd say I'm qualified to judge the difficulty/fairness of a Legendary run on Halo 4.

rakka

Yea even the few hours I played online the SAW felt very out of place in halo

i miss when you had to rush for power weapons, power ups, keep track of when it spawns etc. now your awarded power weapons even if you suck. hard to really enjoy when nearly every damn player is running around with a power weapon or one of all the new automatics in 4.

Izayoi

Banned
Yep completely disagree. Ragnarok is a horrible godawful map in 4.
What? Why? The DMR makes those delicious lines of sight actually usable. So much better than the BR in Halo 3. I love it.

SAW feels so out of place in halo. what a piece of shit overpowered automatic noob weapon.
Well, it is a power weapon... No more "noobish" than the Rocket Launcher or the Sword.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
i miss when you had to rush for power weapons, power ups, keep track of when it spawns etc. now your awarded power weapons even if you suck. hard to really enjoy when nearly every damn player is running around with a power weapon or one of all the new automatics in 4.

cry moar.

Levelling the playing field is a good thing.

I wish the DMR wasn't the end-all-be-all starting weapon. I love using the BR but I always feel as though I'm hamstringing myself whenever I select it over the DMR.

Petrie

Banned

Funny, seems like all those players actually getting to use those weapons are really enjoying themselves.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Can Australian HaloGAF Translate this for me, "You suck mass cock at halo, these are the worst feeds I've ever seen, your a deadset shit cunt, play something your actually good at."

Thanks

Havok

cry moar.

How does Global Ordnance (not even personal ordnance, which is at least restricted to Wacky Infinity Slayer Funtime gametypes), where sometimes an Incineration Cannon will drop right by the enemy's doorstep due to random drops, while your team's base could get something crappy or nothing at all, level the playing field? All it does is throw players' prediction skills out the window and completely change the tight, controlled pace of a classic Halo match.

Why is requiring map knowledge to compete on a decent level considered to be such a bad thing when it is so incredibly easy to learn if people just put in five minutes of effort?

Just best it last night, some questions
1)So Cortana is dead? The parts of her stuck in Didacts ship are destroyed right?
2) Why are the Elites back with the Covies? Is that just a retcon, like they never left?
3) What was the deal with Halsey in the opener, they never got back to that.
4) When I watched the last terminal there was some symbols at the end, what do you do with them?
5) How is cortana "real" at the end? Does she wrap herself around the light from the bridge?

Overall it was ok, that ending was a little weird. Cortana telling Chief you know how long I wanted to do that when she touches him is a little spooky

There is also no way Cortana is out, there were enough hints that another Cortana could be created.

Gorillaz

cry moar.

IF your talking about the "level up to get weapons" mentality then it's not really leveling the playing field. Especially if your starting out new

Everdred

I've unfortunately gone back to Halo Reach for multiplayer. I will keep giving this game a shot but they've possibly ruined Halo multiplayer for me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How does Global Ordnance, where sometimes an Incineration Cannon will drop right by the enemy's doorstep due to random drops, while your team's base could get something crappy or nothing at all, level the playing field? All it does is throw player prediction skills out the window.

Why is requiring map knowledge to compete on a decent level considered to be such a bad thing when it is so incredibly easy to learn if people just put in five minutes of effort?

lol we were playing Complex yesterday and Overdoz spawned inside of one of the building and a sniper dropped right at his feet as soon as he spawned.

I'm also going to load up some maps and just watch the weapon spawns and see if there's some pattern to it. I actually guessed a drop correctly on Solace yesterday in a match so that was nice. Don't know if it was just luck though.

jet1911

You need to play more Dominion man.

Oozer3993

Halo-GAF: Let's play some Spartan Ops in about 1hr (~1:45pm EST). I'm talking about a group of 4 (5?) GAFers doing the 5 chapters on either Heroic or Legendary. Let's also knock out any cheevos that we can, too.

I'm going to grab some lunch, and check back here in when I get back. Either respond here, or on XBL.

GT: LosDaddie

Let's do this

I'm down for some Legendary Spartan Ops. GT is same as my GAF name.

Did they ever explain why we're fighting the Covenant again?

Not in game. Which was odd. It wouldn't have been too hard to have an officer aboard Infinity fill in Chief and Cortana on that. It's explained in the books though:

There is a splinter sect of former Covenant who still hate and want to rid the galaxy of humanity.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Judging by a number of your posts in this thread, you seem to take great offense to the fact that some people are not as good at games as you.

I've unfortunately gone back to Halo Reach for multiplayer. I will keep giving this game a shot but they've possibly ruined Halo multiplayer for me.

A lot of people I talk to feel this way. They are already waiting for Blops2. MP is a mess, power weapons fill the map. They wanted to concentrate on gun play so bad but I dont know how many times a game I get people just running around sprinting melee/assassinations.

It just isn't very fun.

Everdred

Which limited edition code gets you the future map packs? I didn't see any that were obviously the map pack.

A lot of people I talk to feel this way. They are already waiting for Blops2. MP is a mess, power weapons fill the map. They wanted to concentrate on gun play so bad but I dont know how many times a game I get people just running around sprinting melee/assassinations.

It just isn't very fun.
I was surprised how little the player count dropped when I went back to play still 70k online.

Havok

lol we were playing Complex yesterday and Overdoz spawned inside of one of the building and a sniper dropped right at his feet as soon as he spawned.

I'm also going to load up some maps and just watch the weapon spawns and see if there's some pattern to it. I actually guessed a drop correctly on Solace yesterday in a match so that was nice. Don't know if it was just luck though.
I think some of the spots have a higher weighting for certain weapons than others - the sides of the Solace snipe ledges tend to favor Railguns and Sticky Detonators, while there are a few spots just in front of the sniper ledges that tend to favor Incineration Cannons. I just don't like that there's no way to predict any of it, that it doesn't appear to actually be on a rotation, but that the spot is randomly picked. It's not just my resistance to any change, either, I actually love what the loadouts have brought to the game.

There's a real core of greatness to this game that I hope they're able to find and bring to the forefront past all this structural stuff.

You need to play more Dominion man.
I don't think that'll help him that much, that gametype pretty much turns into Heavies after five minutes.

Grisby

Now that 343 has made a 'safe' Halo I hope they go balls to the wall for the next one. Do crazy shit, anything.

Except for Qte's. I don't mind them but they felt really out of place here.
Which limited edition code gets you the future map packs? I didn't see any that were obviously the map pack.
The first one that gets you the armor pieces and the specializations. Hopefully. It says so on the code part but it didn't say anything about it in the DL screen. So...yeah. I guess we'll find out when they release them.

I had hoped Stinkles or someone could clear this up.

Drakken

Experimented with the no-radar skull yesterday. Even though I didn't mind it in past Halos, for whatever reason I'm liking playing without the radar this time. Feels kind of cheap to have it on, and I like the uncertainty/tension/need for extra caution that comes from playing without it.

Also tried the blind skull to get rid of the HUD, but it was just too annoying not being able to see my weapon/ammo info and text prompts. More customization in this area would have been nice, as I'd love an option to get rid of the helmet graphics without losing weapon info. Playing with no HUD really opens things up and adds to the immersion for me - it was particularly awesome entering the Promethean area at the start of mission 3 (4?).

i also grew to love fighting the Promethean knights, but the first level the introduce them to you you are so handicapped with shit guns i thought i'd hate them.

Just reached that part, and I was gonna say, either they're total bullet sponges or the first Promethean weapons you get are absolute crap. Any tips on beating these guys? I keep running out of ammo and resorting to doomed melee attempts.

Zoolader

I'm really disappointed I can't see my screenshots online, I was wanting a new wallpaper for my desktop. Possibly a feature coming soon or maybe they're buried in the UI like alot of other things I've been missing.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
No, the worst encounter of any Halo game that I can think of is the final sequence in Reach (before the solo death sequence and right before Emile dies) where you have to play "firefight" then fight through mega super shielded zealots with engineers then it's capped off with a hard as fuck broken turret sequence that on legendary you're better off completely avoiding and just hopping in and taking the shot when prompted.

THAT was the worst sequence in Halo.

Gotta agree with this. Reach final level on legendary was shit. Everything you described evokes my feelings of running through it. The turret sequence alone was maddening and the worst way to cap off an equally irritating and long firefight sequence.

Actually damn near the entirety of Reach was firefight sequences. If Halo 4 has you "pushing buttons", Reach had you "holding position from waves of covenant" as pretty much the constant repeating objective.

Jarmel

Banned
What? Why? The DMR makes those delicious lines of sight actually usable. So much better than the BR in Halo 3. I love it.

Well the problem with Ragnarok is that it's just comprised of too many chokehold points where you can't really rush past without getting raped by DMRs.

rakka

ha, he's not the only one. As much as I don't want to I might eventually go back to playing reach. even with AAs its still much more halo than 4 will ever be. it's a damn shame.

i'll keep playing til I unlock the next specialization though. don't want to give up on it yet, I mean, it's a damn good looking game for one.

Top Bottom