• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

robot

tonight's mulitplayer session was a reminder to myself that this by far the best fps series I've ever played. so much amazing shit going in every match. I think I saved 90% of my matches already.

Rev3rb

this statement is just dumb

it was risk versus reward not poor player habits or sloppy kills. and 'think smarter' wtf does that even mean?!? if there's a weapon on the map that I want now, because the melee sucks, I'm not going to risk trying to take it. I'm just gong to sit back and grenade/bullet spam the area.

Not sure I understand this at all...

this statement is just dumb

it was risk versus reward not poor player habits or sloppy kills. and 'think smarter' wtf does that even mean?!? if there's a weapon on the map that I want now, because the melee sucks, I'm not going to risk trying to take it. I'm just gong to sit back and grenade/bullet spam the area.
Right, it's making you treat it like an FPS first and foremost, not a beat 'em up where you run in blindly and try to punch your way out of it because the lunge compensates for everything. You play smarter because your strategy doesn't resort to trading melees and hoping that you come out the victor.

I'm mainly concerned with the close quarters combat because it is really bad now because they put all the fucus on the guns and chasing after COD.
Now this is a dumb statement.

Dirtbag

FRAGS >> PLASMA >>>>> FORERUNNER

I dont know if it's the netcode taking a step back or the overall movement speed increase, or the magnetism on stickies being dropped, but damn you are much better just rolling with frags.

Forerunner grenades are completely useless in MP.

And while the ordinance system didnt ruin multiplayer, I simply just dont like it.
Map control is frustrating on the wrong side, but its definitely not about weapons anymore.
I can see why the heatmaps had such an even spread now across the map.

I dont know if it's the netcode taking a step back or the overall movement speed increase, or the magnetism on stickies being dropped, but damn you are much better just rolling with frags.

Agreed and I think the Forerunner 'nades should've been Ordnance Drop only and made extremely powerful. As is, there's absolutely no reason to choose grenades for your Personal Ordnance. For Campaign they could've just made them rare to balance out the strength.

GamerSoul

So true, frags all day. The stickes are definitely tougher to hit. They seem to roll off everything and their blast radius seems lower.

Rev3rb

Agreed and I think the Forerunner 'nades should've been Ordnance Drop only and made extremely powerful. As is, there's absolutely no reason to choose grenades for your Personal Ordnance. For Campaign they could've just made them rare to balance out the strength.

I like this idea

That's why I like it. A faster melee with less "auto aim" and lunge on it, but lol little alligator arms

Right, it's making you treat it like an FPS first and foremost, not a beat 'em up where you run in blindly and try to punch your way out of it because the lunge compensates for everything. You play smarter because your strategy doesn't resort to trading melees and hoping that you come out the victor.

It may just be what GamerSoul said in his/her post. I may just need to get used to it. In H4 CQB situations melee just feels awkward to me and I've lost sight of my opponent several times when I thought I've had them dead to rights.

In past Halo's(with the exception of H3) this wasn't the case. In H3 it was more the map design though and not so much the melee mechanics.

Can't play spartan ops solo without an xbox live gold account? That sucks.

they're only available as downloads for gold members. IIRC you can play them solo if you like though.

I do agree on the melee issue; if I melee someone point blank to take out their shields, I feel like my follow-up melee misses most of the time and winds up getting me killed.

doing this and even throwing a grenade is mostly ineffective as well. This may be due to the fact that you can purchase a blast radius upgrade though.

so far I am having a blast with H4's MP and I'll try to remain more objective until I unlock and have a chance to experiment with everything that you can do with your loadout.

MrDaravon

I do agree on the melee issue; if I melee someone point blank to take out their shields, I feel like my follow-up melee misses most of the time and winds up getting me killed.

Gamestop, I actually didn't think to call them about it. I would imagine they aren't sitting on LE consoles and I would need to return the entire thing.

The beauty of Amazon is that they replace the entire console too, but they send it and ask you to put the broken one in the box the new one came in and send it back. Gives you time to take the best parts from both consoles and then send back what you don't want.

Just finished it. Really a mistake for them to depend so heavily on people having read the books. I feel very lost.

As someone that doesn't read the books, I felt lost as well. Someone recommended a book to me so I downloaded the sample from Amazon and I couldnt make it 10 pages. I just couldnt do it. I like scifi novels from time to time, but this just wasnt working for me. The game definitely needed a lot more exposition.

I love this shit, so many OG XBC H1 GODS are back on XBL for Halo 4! Thank you 343, please make this last <3

1-50 ranks with great arena maps for 4v4/2v2 need to come lol - dat hype. sooooo hype, mang.

The last I saw I think Halo Reach was at somewhere around 6 or 7 million in sales. Do you seriously think that more than half of those people don't play CoD? Really?

I dunno, but I assume there's a lot of people like me that only play games like Halo, Gears, and Resistance but would never go near CoD. I love the one genre and think the other is total garbage. I doubt I'm alone.

I dunno, but I assume there's a lot of people like me that only play games like Halo, Gears, and Resistance but would never go near CoD. I love the one genre and think the other is total garbage. I doubt I'm alone.

I'm the same. Halo is my second favorite series (next to Mario), but I can't stand playing CoD unless it's messing around in custom games.

leng jai

Why don't more people use the hard light shields? It has saved me from certain death countless time and earned me a stack of distraction points.

ironcreed

Banned
I tell you what, I am not a big multiplayer guy, but Halo is in a class of it's own. I can see how it may have reached the point of being too old school for many, but the gameplay and competitiveness of the multiplayer is still simply amazing. Even getting my ass kicked makes me feel good in this game. Bungie had a baby, but 343 is raising it.

Xamdou

alt color animals > red vs. blue

NxlWM.png
uoOlJ.png
VlCj7.png
JnssV.png
45Zmv.png
JRGh2.png

Those unlockable in-game?

Killer

Banned
I'm very disappointed with the games net code. Reach seems to have MUCH better netcode. It looks like I shoot more than i should to get a kill. Is anyone experiencing this? 400k online and still get into laggy games :l.

Havok

Can you reset your points in multiplayer? Or can you get all of the weapons and stuff when you reach 50?
You'll eventually have enough to buy everything, yeah.

There are specializations that you enlist in one at a time once you hit 50 that are ten levels apiece as well, so 50 isn't the endgame.

jdl

Banned
The story in this game is so poorly executed. I have no idea what's going on or where I am half of the time.

I am enjoying the visuals however. The campaign itself seems mostly forgettable so far.

I'm very disappointed with the games net code. Reach seems to have MUCH better netcode. It looks like I shoot more than i should to get a kill. Is anyone experiencing this? 400k online and still get into laggy games :l.

I have played most of the day and its been 95% smooth. I can only recall a couple BTB Matches being bad.

Veelk

Banned
A notice to all people who do nothing the entire match except wait for the sniper to spawn: Fuck you

PS: And if you suck with it on top of that, fuck you twice

I have played most of the day and its been 95% smooth. I can only recall a couple BTB Matches being bad.
Same. Have had one match with obvious lag, enough to get me killed a few times in duals, and maybe one or two players out of a 20 games has skated across the ground, while I was just fine. Maybe I'm just lucky, but its been smoother sailing than any game I've ever played on Xbox Live.

Bread

Banned
A notice to all people who do nothing the entire match except wait for the sniper to spawn: Fuck you

PS: And if you suck with it on top of that, fuck you twice
i grabbed a sniper as it spawned on ragnarok and lol'd as some kid who was waiting for it freaked out and starting shooting me. i shot half the sniper clip into the sky and drove a mongoose into the enemy base on a suicide mission. fuck that kid

Wow, that
final confrontation with the Didact
sure is underwhelming.
I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up again in halo 5

Also,
the Didact never introduces himself when he first appears, so how the hell do Cortana and Chief know its name?

Bronion

Wow, that
final confrontation with the Didact
sure is underwhelming.
I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up again in halo 5

Also,
the Didact never introduces himself when he first appears, so how the hell do Cortana and Chief know its name?

Campaign Spoilers
There's a Covenant broadcast terminal on the level Requiem that you can find and use to hear an Elite saying "Didact" over and over, which Cortana comments on. Also, the Elites bow and say his name when he first poops out of his sphere.

can you still play split screen online multiplayer? i have a full gold subscription. every time i try to get my brother on as a guest on war games, it says it doesnt have permission to go on xbox live.

ive seen many people online with USERNAME, USERNAME (1), USERNAME (2) in lobbies so im assuming that you still can. what am i doing wrong?

Killer

Banned

US players seems to have better experience than the rest of us. No wonder since most of my matches were full of US players. It's a shame this game doesn't have dedicated servers like GOW3. Dat host advantage...

StuBurns

Banned
I only found one Terminal in my first run through, so I'm going again to get the others. I just watched the first three, and it's really cool. I found the story within the game wholly lackluster, but this stuff is kind of interesting. It looks great too, some middle-ground between game cutscenes and animated comic book stuff. Look forward to seeing the others.

I only found one Terminal in my first run through, so I'm going again to get the others. I just watched the first three, and it's really cool. I found the story within the game wholly lackluster, but this stuff is kind of interesting. It looks great too, some middle-ground between game cutscenes and animated comic book stuff. Look forward to seeing the others.

I was confused about the campaign for the most part, the terminals do a better job of fleshing out the story.

Sorry, but your very wrong.

then prove it.

Seance

Banned
US players seems to have better experience than the rest of us. No wonder since most of my matches were full of US players. It's a shame this game doesn't have dedicated servers like GOW3. Dat host advantage...

I feel your pain. Halo 4 is the worst Halo matchmaking experience yet for me. :(

I guess 343 don't give a fuck about Aus/NZ players, no region filter is absolutely unforgivable.

Played some IS tonight and I really like haven. On the other note, I can't stand BTB in this game even on Ragnorok. Add the mantis and all the power weapons and its just bullshit. The other thing I never thought of on BTB is all the plasma pistols on the map now from loadouts. Its makes vehicle based combat suck balls.

Top Bottom