• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

jediyoshi

Goddamn SWAT is tiring, but oh so good
May as well have removed everything but the crosshair and score from the screen

So how can these guys change Promethean vision so it's not as hacksy?

Shorten the time it tracks after it pings an enemy. It already gimps people who think they're clever when using it, I think most people I've run into don't realize it gives away their position and it's just dumb in objective based gametypes anyhoo

JB1981

I don't really get why it's so hax. I have tried it a couple times and I don't really see the benefit. The people that use it also get lit up on the radar so it's usually safe to assume when someone is coming to you when using it.

Are people just mad that their strategy of crouching with invis and bolt shot isn't working with it? That's the only people I can really see being that effected by it.

This! If anything I think the radar needs nerfed. :lol

I don't like how it encourages camping. I wish they would have just added a spotting feature like BF3 rather than this bullshit. And I guess I should be more mindful of the ping when it appears on the radar. I seem to miss it

the radar will not show a crouching camper. are we playing the same game?

So....a shitty strategy gets exposed for what it is...

I really wish toggle crouch wasn't set to default. I feel like half the user base would have never known it existed otherwise. The amount of people that constantly walk while crouched is ridiculous.

I don't like how it encourages camping. I wish they would have just added a spotting feature like BF3 rather than this bullshit. And I guess I should be more mindful of the ping when it appears on the radar. I seem to miss it

How does PV encouage camping? I understand that it could help campers, but their position is given away immediately. If campers are the issue than the concern would much more be put on invis/toggle crouch.

Woorloog

Banned
The Radar gives you so much information now it doesn't even matter. PV is only useful if you can't interpret what the radar gives you and have no situational awareness at all.

Indeed. My friend who does not play much Halo pretty much ignored the PV, when i commented on this, he noted the radar's very good as it is.
I can't use the damn PV really, it confuses me more than it helps, everything being blue... I find enemies without it easily as it is.

2San

They should've just made the videos unlockables in the game itself instead of hiding them away in halo waypoint just to try and get some attention (and merit) to that service. I don't get it.
Even the part that you need to unlock it, annoys me. Should've been integrated in the story line. The fact that you can miss it, is pretty stupid. The game made so much more sense after I saw the entire youtube vid. I think I only found like 3 movies?

There was not enough space on the disk.
It's already a 2 disc game why not use that space on the 2nd disc. It's not like the game is an open world game.
Indeed. My friend who does not play much Halo pretty much ignored the PV, when i commented on this, he noted the radar's very good as it is.
I can't use the damn PV really, it confuses me more than it helps, everything being blue... I find enemies without it easily as it is.
You can spot crouching enemies, spot people from a greater distance, line up shots before they are visible, determine if a engagement is smart based on the weapon they have equipped.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
the radar will not show a crouching camper. are we playing the same game?

And PV does. I fail to see what's so bad about that.

I don't use PV at all. I don't find I need to. Radar works just fine for me most of the time, and regen field is invaluable to get back into the fight asap.

Dreaver

The Radar gives you so much information now it doesn't even matter. PV is only useful if you can't interpret what the radar gives you and have no situational awareness at all.
Not true. PV gives you plenty of benefits. You can see how someone is moving / what side they are walking to, it gives you the benefit to have the first shot, which is very important. You can predict their movement even when they are behind cover, which is very, very important.

Also it shows nades, campers who are crouched and you can use it as a total overview of the map (quick scan where they are).

Everyone who's saying PV is useless doesn't know how to use PV.

ultron87

I find Promethean Vision to be somewhat for helpful for stuff like lining up shots as people come around corners, or just as a quick pulse right on spawning to see where everyone is, but some of the other AAs seem more useful overall, especially when you consider how bonkers the radar is in this game.

I've been running Hard Light Shield pretty much 100% of the time in team slayer games. It lets you both disengage from DMR fights you are losing by shielding and running around a corner and lets you buy time for your team to come in and clean up a fight you were about to die in. It is like armor lock but you can move. So that is pretty good. It is even better in Big Team Slayer because there is always another target besides you to shoot at, so you usually just need to pop the shield for a second to get them off of you and then you can start shooting again while they aim at someone else.

kylej

Banned
Yeah you guys are crazy, this games multiplayer is exactly what I've been looking for. CoD is complete bullshit with all the crazy killstreak rewards, but this...this is the perfect balance. I'll be playing this for a long time.

Never played Halo MP before, btw.

Somewhere right now a Microsoft exec is in the middle of an orgasm.

You can spot crouching enemies, spot people from a greater distance, line up shots before they are visible, determine if a engagement is smart based on the weapon they have equipped.

None of these are really hax. Those could all be replaced by team communication and map awareness. The only one it really tips in an unfair way is the crouching enemie which in most cases is camping then what other defense is there against that? Wait until somone dies from them then find out where he is? It really isn't that big of an unfair thing.

Not true. PV gives you plenty of benefits. You can see how someone is moving / what side they are walking to, it gives you the benefit to have the first shot, which is very important. You can predict their movement even when they are behind cover, which is very, very important.

Also it shows nades, campers who are crouched and you can use it as a total overview of the map (quick scan where they are).

Everyone who's saying PV is useless doesn't know how to use PV.

Or...they have good teamwork/communication. All of what you said is the benefit people get from communication in a team and map awareness. If someone is running with friends that communicate well PV is pretty useless when compared to the other abilities.

Woorloog

Banned

I spot them anyway, i expect campers around corners. Or i die if they have power weapons. The PV does not change this.
I spot people at distance if i have sightline, if not, i'll just move until i see them, i'm a very mobile played in general.
Can't see weapon on small specs at distance, don't need to know their weapons either. If they have one shot weapons, i'm screwed either way. If they don't, i'll have a fighting chance as always.

I know the maps. I know where people go. I know how they move (at first glance in a map, noobs go direct, better players try to flank). I have radar. I really don't need the PV for anything, i'll just stick to Hard Light Shield and use it to escape if needed.

Dyno

Once again, all I need is an assault rifle and jetpacks to make me giggle like a little boy. Do you guys like it when you get to shoot some non-tactical random idiot way up in the sky? Good then, you're probably playing clay pidgeon with me! My KDR is in the toilet but man I have found some places to get mad air from. I love getting the warning that I'm leaving the game just by getting lots of vertical.

Also I've noticed that anyone hip-firing with DMR tends to be deadly accurate.

strata8

no. because its wall hacking.

Except it's not that clear cut. it's an extremely limited form of "wall hacking" that only works in short bursts and isn't effective at long distances. It's only really useful when used in combination with the radar and even then it's rarely going to give you the jump on someone or be the end-all of a firefight.

2San

None of these are really hax. Those could all be replaced by team communication and map awareness. The only one it really tips in an unfair way is the crouching enemie which in most cases is camping then what other defense is there against that? Wait until somone dies from them then find out where he is? It really isn't that big of an unfair thing.
I was responding to a commenter that seems to think that PV doesn't really give an advantage, which seems pretty crazy considering how good the AA is(I use it on my main load out).

Wait until someone dies to find out where someone is? Yeah I really don't that's a great strat since there are many corners and just move a spot further to camp. A proper team would use PV to their advantage so people don't have to die to find out what weapons the other team does or doesn't have, or if they are camping or not.

Overdoziz

Banned
People saying that PV isn't powerful as fuck are crazy. You can see far beyond the reach of the radar, you can what direction players are facing, where they're moving and what weapon they're wielding. People keep saying you can do all that by communicating well and being aware of your surroundings. That's true to a certain extend, but the thing is that PV makes this all extremely easy. With the press of a button you can see the location of players on half a map and what they're doing. It takes away a part of Halo that made it interesting, even more so than the radar already does.

abadguy

Banned
I don't really get why it's so hax. I have tried it a couple times and I don't really see the benefit. The people that use it also get lit up on the radar so it's usually safe to assume when someone is coming to you when using it.

Are people just mad that their strategy of crouching with invis and bolt shot isn't working with it? That's the only people I can really see being that effected by it.

Not to mention the loud "hum" you hear when it's activated. I just haven't had any real issues with people using it and i have never felt like i was at a disadvantage to people using it . Not like when you are about to melee or kill someone , only to have them armor lock at the last second. So glad armor lock is gone.

I was responding to a commenter that seems to think that PV doesn't really give an advantage, which seems pretty crazy considering how good the AA is(I use it on my main load out).

Wait until someone dies to find out where someone is? Yeah I really don't that's a great strat since there are many corners and just move a spot further to camp. A proper team would use PV to their advantage so people don't have to die to find out what weapons the other team does or doesn't have, or if they are camping or not.

I was referencing campers when I was talking about waiting until someone died. As the only other way to be aware is to catch a glace of the person or someone dies. Which is where I see the PV usefull, but still not hax or even useful enough to trade for the other AA's when combined with good team work.

PV of course has it's benefits, but I'm arguing the fact that it's OP or needs to removed/nerfed. The only people that it seems to hurt is campers or people facing a good team in which it acts as a sort of balancer(in replaced of team communication) when facing a better team.

I just don't see the issues with it.

really? tell me more.

anyway. we've got people saying PV sucks and it doesn't affect gameplay much, you've got people saying PV is useful keep it, people saying PV is too useful get rid of it. lol.

I always see this as a good sign of balance. If it is complained about on all fronts than most likely it's working just as planned.

rakka

how some ppl not see how fucking OP PV is is beyond me.

it's not going to massively help an already decent player but it sure as hell helps noobs get kills they don't deserve.

Because I don't camp. I use team communication which for the most part covers all benefits I would get from it. If someone is using it against me I know immediately where they are and able to call them out to my team or back away if I have no support and I am close to the person. I just figured out a way to not need it and to counter it.

Edit to your edit:Noobs will still be noobs and will still get outplayed most of the time. Not saying PV doesn't make them better, but they aren't suddenly godlike either. I see PV as nothing more than an equalizer to good teamwork.

Woorloog

Banned

OP? It is good but not OP. If i am better than my opponent, i will win no matter if he spotted me first (assuming 1v1 situation). Unless he has a 1sk power weapon, in which case spotting is moot.
I see the PV being used a lot in some matches but it is never an issue for me. Of course it could be that i'm just so good...

it's not going to massively help an already decent player but it sure as hell helps noobs get kills they don't deserve.

Deserve? There is no deserving kills or not deserving them. Only bad losers, winners, and people who just play.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Because I don't camp. I use team communication which for the most part covers all benefits I would get from it. If someone is using it against me I know immediately where they are and able to call them out to my team or back away if I have no support and I am close to the person. I just figured out a way to not need it and to counter it.

did I miss something here? Does activating it make them ping on the radar? It's been a couple days since I played multi.

Corrine Yu tweeted about finally able to break the code again, so yeah. Would not be suprised if it was on a two-year cycle.
Don't know how I'd feel about that. No need to rush each game out. Next thing ya know it'd be an annual COD release affair. The Halo franchise is too sacred to be reduced to some cheap yearly FPS fix.

abadguy

Banned
did I miss something here? Does activating it make them ping on the radar? It's been a couple days since I played multi.

Yup. It also makes a loud noise.

Don't know how I'd feel about that. No need to rush each game out. Next thing ya know it'd be an annual COD release affair. The Halo franchise is too sacred to be reduced to some cheap yearly FPS fix.

As was already mentioned Halo games pack too much content to be an annual release, also just because they start work on the game now doesn't mean they are rushing anything.

rakka

I think it's his biggest "problem" with the game. Fucking noobs are killing me! Boohoohoo.
you must love your ordnance drops!

getting rewarded for sucking? wallhacking? every man and his dog with power weapons? yeah I hve a problem with that.

Woorloog

Banned

Damn fun system. And bad people still don't earn this stuff, seen people go under 75 points in some matches... EDIT oh and there is a underlaying skill matching. So you don't get to play with noobs, if you're not one yourself.

If you don't like the game, why are you here? Don't like it, don't play it.

You can be sure as hell that 343i won't start catering for classic Halo fans, this has been clear since the beginning, so i wouldn't even stay and just wish to get something like that.

rakka

oh, give me a break.
skill matching works only half the time, if even that. not to mention I've played so many 2v4 matches its a joke.

getting rewarded for sucking? wallhacking? every man and his dog with power weapons? yeah I hve a problem with that.

Not to be a dick, but you come off as someone who isn't doing as well as you think you should be. So you are blaming the game and making it seem like it is catering to "bad kids" because you are dying when you feel you shouldn't be.

I see it as learning and adapting. There should, for the most part, be a way to counter most things. As I said with PV there is a lot it can benefit some players, but for some it's pretty useless and in some cases a hindrance.

Ordinance drops are fun, but yes, sometimes they can be a little crazy. The biggest issue I've had with them is what seems like their map allotments. On a map like Vortex it seems like Snipers come up way too much and you end up with an entire team with sniper rifles, but then a map like Ragnorak seems like you don't get many anti-vehicle weapons at all. I have my issues with ordinance drops, but it has more to do with the maps the weapons show up more on.

Tadale

It is the easiest because of smallish encounters and the AI's passivity, i can shoot a PromKnight on Legendary (sometimes) before it even moves.
Arguably the power weapons and precision weapons help... though based on comments here, some people don't plan and waste their ammo instead of saving them.

The biggest issues I had were problems I made for myself. Near the end of Mission 5, I had pretty much exhausted all of my resources, and I ended up fighting wraiths and ghosts with an assault rifle. By the end, I was out of AR ammo, too.

In mission 7, I got a checkpoint in a small room armed with nothing but a few shotgun shells and grenades. The next room was full of elites, jackals and grunts. Took me several tries to get that one over with.

rakka

Not to be a dick, but you come off as someone who isn't doing as well as you think you should be. So you are blaming the game and making it seem like it is catering to "bad kids" because you are dying when you feel you shouldn't be.
not to be a dick, but some of you come off as players who usually play halo mp like crap but are doing better now thanks to the new less skill more luck system.

anyway swat is out! only played a few matches, it's fucking fast paced and in a good way. no bullshit. it'll do for now. see y'all there

LowParry

And I'm really bad at this game but I'm still having a lot of fun. :D

I'm here with ya on how bad I am at the game. I'll get those matches where it's like "yeah, I know I got so many kills! fuck yeah!" only to see that I have like 5 kills, 11 assists and 23 deaths. This game man. lol

Top Bottom