• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

The new Spartan Ops missions are actually a little difficult and fun. The combat is more open and the AI seems to push through it rather than anchor in.. I like that. Its still not perfect, but I am having a lot of fun. Too bad at all the reused level spaces already, but to be fair they are utilized in completely different ways. I hope more missions introduce things like friendly AI.. would be cool to play with an AI team of Spartans that are actual characters from time to time.

One complaint- The missions have nothing really to do with the CG, and it would be nice to get some in engine cutscenes here and there as we do stuff. We rescue a science team that proclaim "Spartans!" but we never see them.. It just needs a bit more in the story telling department, right now it feels like... I dunno.

I really wish there were variants of Spartan Ops, one with limited lives or checkpoints, one without. Right now there is no risk when you die, and hell, you get fresh ammo so you're better off. It needs more risk so winning feels more rewarding.. as of now it just feels like a grind. Sure, I could challenge myself and restart every time I die, but thats not fun for me either.

So once everything gets settled in, will 343i do what Reach did and add Forge maps into the rotation? I really hope so.

I hope they do not do it like Reach... way too many shitty, grey forge maps. If they bring forge maps into Halo 4 they better be good, and they better only allow 1 or 2 per forge environment.

I love how Bungie realized their mistake with the Brutes was making them giant bullet sponges that weren't fun to fight, and tweaked them to actually rival Elites in terms of being a decent enemy.

Then 343 comes along and goes "lol Knights", and we're right back to having shitty enemies again.

I miss the Halo 3 Brute packs.. they were actually fun and interesting to fight. I would love to see them return, but I agree that 343 needs to focus on revamping the Prometheans. So much repetition when fighting them.. they need more variety, like real variety, and Knights need a revamp. As of now, they pale in comparison to the Covenant.. Here's hoping Halo 5 brings a ton of changes, upgrades and new units to the Prometheans. They have a good idea with them, but I can't shake the feeling of them being very lacking and boring. Sometimes they really shone though.

Finally got around to watching all the terminals. God, why hide such an awesome thing.
Yeah, the story really was lacking depth, and those freaking terminals really should have been in the actual game. Or at least something similar.. They were so well done. It also would have made the storytelling more cohesive, god knows how MC and Cortana knew the things they did, or why they didn't question them for the players benefit at least.. The parts of the story that were good were great, but it needed more. Still, I feel 343 destroys Bungie in storytelling for sure.

McNei1y

Halo3 launched with much better Slayer maps than both Reach and now Halo 4. They were all distinct in their own way and seemed to be finely tuned for the gametype. Beautiful art direction too. What happened.

Eh, this is hard to agree with. I think Valhalla, Pit, Construct, and High Grounds (? the one with the base up the hill) were all great maps. The rest were just... eh. Snowbound... Epitaph... That "lockout" successor... I couldn't stand them.

I think all Halo 4 maps are average but they are at least enjoyable though. Unlike some of Halo 3's maps. I wish they released a few more maps, though, since the voting system can make these maps VERY repetitive. I hope they add a lot of Forge maps soon.

For the record, Halo Reach's multiplayer maps were terrible. I stopped playing Reach for a long time because of how bad they were. I mean really? Who though sections cutout from Single Player missions was a good idea? Sword Base was really my only likeable map.

That's been around as long as there's been online coop in Halo.
This is the inherant problem, Halo's complex AI and physics don't transmit well over a peer to peer connection unless under the perfect storm of networking. This is where dedicated servers could lend a hand in solving the middle man by removing it and setting an exceptable standard. I'm unaware of how hard or costly such an operation would be, but Microsoft seems like the kind of company to front such a bill.

Trickster

Yeah. Not much new compared to episode 1. One chapter stands out though. Hope we get some new locations soon.

I hope we get some variety. All the missions are super simplistic. They're pretty much all about clicking a button and killing a billion enemies between button clicks.

There's so many thing they can do with the halo sandbox, it's kind of a shame to see them wasting the potential like this.

I mean, they could make stealthy missions, big vehicle missions, race missions, platform missions, and more.

I think that the concept with spartan ops is good, but outside of the weekly cgi sequence, it's a pretty boring and repetitive experience so far.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Snowbound is the worst map ever created. Can't believe I was just reminded of that map.

My day is ruined.

Map is great if you just go down to that cavern underground between the two bases. Nobody ever goes in there so you can just relax and think about stuff.

Eh, this is hard to agree with. I think Valhalla, Pit, Construct, and High Grounds (? the one with the base up the hill) were all great maps. The rest were just... eh. Snowbound... Epitaph... That "lockout" successor... I couldn't stand them.

I think all Halo 4 maps are average but they are at least enjoyable though. Unlike some of Halo 3's maps. I wish they released a few more maps, though, since the voting system can make these maps VERY repetitive. I hope they add a lot of Forge maps soon.

For the record, Halo Reach's multiplayer maps were terrible. I stopped playing Reach for a long time because of how bad they were. I mean really? Who though sections cutout from Single Player missions was a good idea? Sword Base was really my only likeable map.

I think the Halo 4 maps have a really different flow but I can't tell if it's because of design or because of the de-emphasis on weapon and map control. I tend to move through the maps in laps rather than taking and holding one area. It's probably because of random weapon spawn and timer mixed with ordinance means that there isn't the same hot zones the way there were before. Actually is there heatmaps for Halo 4 maps out yet on way point?

Backwash, Chiron, and Isolation

Abandon...

I think the Halo 4 maps have a really different flow but I can't tell if it's because of design or because of the de-emphasis on weapon and map control. I tend to move through the maps in laps rather than taking and holding one area. It's probably because of random weapon spawn and timer mixed with ordinance means that there isn't the same hot zones the way there were before. Actually is there heatmaps for Halo 4 maps out yet on way point?

I think it's mostly because of weapon spawns. There is no more forced encounter or forced locations to protect. Only advantage points to keep hold of like the top of longbow, or the building roofs on Complex, the high hallways on adrift(or whatever it's called), the sniper spot on Solace.

I wish the trait fields in forge were able to control where ordinance drops could be used. Thought that would have been an awesome idea to mix the new playstyle with needed map control/forced encounters.

Nah, Abandon is a lot better than those maps IMO.. Its nothing special, but its fun. Haven is the standout best map in Halo 4, but it also has some great btb maps.

My gripes are mostly with any kind of team orientated game. I think it's fine for FFA or Flood, but other than that it is crazy bad.

Solace and Complex are my standouts. But I mostly like team objective games for both of those.

FourDoor

Question: Did the 343 team get any kind of special/unique armor to sport in MP like the Bungie team did with their games? If so, pics?

Scarecrow

So, does Master Cheif have more lines in this one than in the rest of the Halos combined?

Also, I forgot: how do you do tricks in Banshees?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Question: Did the 343 team get any kind of special/unique armor to sport in MP like the Bungie team did with their games? If so, pics?

Apparently it's the master chief armor

But I'm going off someone from waypoint so take with a grain of salt (plenty available here)

abadguy

Banned
Snowbound. Ugh.

I think i am the only person who liked that map, also Epitaph. Guardian was a great map too imo. For H4 the only map i truly dislike is Solace, not worst map ive ever played (that honor goes to Countdown in Reach) just dont really like playing on it. Haven is the best in 4 for me and up there with the best maps from 3. Reminds me a bit of Narrows. Exile, Ragnarok, Adrft and Meltdown are all solid as well.

hwalker84

Honestly I don't understand why they continue to make new maps from scratch. The game should've had a wealth of maps from Halo 3 and Reach included from day 1.

What map is Isolation. I don't want to google it because I want to be surprised.

Halo3Isolation.jpg

FourDoor

Apparently it's the master chief armor

But I'm going off someone from waypoint so take with a grain of salt (plenty available here)

I saw a few people sporting the MC armor in MP. I thought it was just a MS pre-order but I guess that could be it and less obvious than flaming heads...

McNei1y

Ewwww. I forgot about that map. For some reason I was picturing the LARGE snow map in Halo 2 that was released in a map pack... but I remember that's called Containment now. That was a cool map.

But ewww Isolation.

njean777

Exactly. It's a complete clusterfuck. There's no point in using anything except the DMR, incineration/laser/rockets, ever. When you're in a vehicle, just about every person in the game has a heavy weapon that can one shot you.

This shit is just way too chaotic, I preferred old Halo gameplay with learning where the ONE rocket on the map was. That was fun and required work to defend that area to get the weapon. Now it's a fucking lottery.

Not really impressed with multiplayer. It's just too much like Call of Duty -- completely chaotic, no sense of strategy at all. No idea why this seems to be the popular thing to do these days. Clusterfuck gameplay isn't fun to me, that's why I despise PvP in Guild Wars 2.

COD has strategy, it's called stop complaining and adapt.

The strategy in old halo games was to circle jerk a certain weapon on a map and everybody would just gravitate towards it and constantly spam grenades and rinse and repeat. It was stupid. Now though there is no reason to do that, which is why I prefer this multiplayer. You can go anywhere on the maps and not feel like you are not doing anything for your team, by not defending a stupid rocket launcher.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Honestly I don't understand why they continue to make new maps from scratch. The game should've had a wealth of maps from Halo 3 and Reach included from day 1.

You could have 50 maps in the game and still only the same 4 or 5 would get played. It's the same with all shooters.

AndresON777

shooting blanks

The strategy in old halo games was to circle jerk a certain weapon on a map and everybody would just gravitate towards it and constantly spam grenades and rinse and repeat. It was stupid. Now though there is no reason to do that, which is why I prefer this multiplayer. You can go anywhere on the maps and not feel like you are not doing anything for your team, by not defending a stupid rocket launcher.

Yep pretty much nailed it.

what's that big city map from halo 2 called? It had tall buildings you could get up and snipe...

It's a bit more than just spamming a spot for a weapon. It caused forced encounters and it forced map control. If you sat back or tried to camp you would end up getting the short end of the stick because you didn't get map control not because you didn't get the power weapon. The power weapons on most occasions helped the team that didn't have control(facing a decent team) more than the team that did. If a team had control of the map there is little chance a power weapon or one spot on the map will change that. It was the fact that the weapon could make the difference with a good team that is down. It allowed them to disrupt the teams control.

Cod's strategy has pretty much always been camp or be fast enough to counter campers. The new system while fun most of the time encourages more camping and people constantly peeking from behind rocks and shooting from afar until they get unlucky. There's no real adapting to that.

I'm not bashing the new system, I like it for the most part. But I definitely think it has some serious flaws, and by no means better.

Sword Base was surprisingly my favorite map in Reach.

It seemed like it was solely designed for stockpile. It worked well with that, but after a while every other game type turned into camping above glass. I liked it a lot at first.

njean777

I want lockout! That is all.

It's a bit more than just spamming a spot for a weapon. It caused forced encounters and it forced map control. If you sat back or tried to camp you would end up getting the short end of the stick because you didn't get map control not because you didn't get the power weapon. The power weapons on most occasions helped the team that didn't have control(facing a decent team) more than the team that did. If a team had control of the map there is little chance a power weapon or one spot on the map will change that. It was the fact that the weapon could make the difference with a good team that is down. It allowed them to disrupt the teams control.

Cod's strategy has pretty much always been camp or be fast enough to counter campers. The new system while fun most of the time encourages more camping and people constantly peeking from behind rocks and shooting from afar until they get unlucky. There's no real adapting to that.

I'm not bashing the new system, I like it for the most part. But I definitely think it has some serious flaws, and by no means better.

Well I play almost nothing but Domination on COD so maybe that is why I see strategy all the time, I don't play anything else very much (maybe kill confirmed occasionally and very rarely TDM). Just like the mode I play the most in Halo is Dominion. I never really cared for Team Slayer or Slayer as it was a camp fest in general.

Snowdrift

Now that the honeymoon period was worn off, I feel like multiplayer has dragged down the game a bit. Part of the problem is that Halo has lost a bit of its purity over the years. But even then, this isn't a big deal because I am enjoying the sprint feature, and some of the armour abilities work well. My issue is mainly with the maps. Most of the maps on the Slayer, Oddball and KoH playlists are mediocre. I love Haven, but don't want to have to play it every match.

Vire

Reused environments in Spartan Ops already? :(

Disappointing... hopefully next week is new stuff. I rather have less episodes with completely original material than stretched out over 10 weeks of recycled stuff.

Top Bottom