• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

parm09

Neo Member
I don't remember the exact numbers, maybe Fyrewulff could post 'em. But you're correct, Halo 3's was far from accurate. Reach's and 4's are much more exact.

What about cod numbers. Sells same amount of copies as halo but usually has upwards of a milllion online at once during launch week.

orznge

Banned
Your desire to compare this game to chess is off base. Period. There are development and sales realities that exist which demand certain actions. They are trying to make money, not to make the most balanced and skill based shooter to ever hit the market. You cannot leverage the game design of chess with that of Halo because they share nothing in common: not cultural relevancy, not input/output design, not execution demands, not setup requirements, not sale expectancy, not market competition, not player-opponent interaction, not anything other than you can define them both, overall, as game.

You're not talking game design. You're talking bullshit.

yikes

Scratch

so let me tell you about this time where i got into a ghost, drove all of four yards when i blew up and god tells me i committed suicide.

guess i was never meant to ride, baby.

Korosenai

Just got to say that I'm loving true skill in this game. I've had so many intense matches (about twenty that came down to the very last kill).

hitoshi

So...i've tried searching but could not find anything. Is there a thread for HQ images from the campaign? There were a LOT of vistas i would love to use as wallpapers!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't know if this will matter to that many people, but from the looks of the menu, I think you'll only be able to play the current episode of Spartan Ops in matchmaking, and not any previous ones. Not sure if that's really the case, but I wouldn't be surprised; I mean, right now there are only 250 people in MM for Chapter 4. Once we get to the point that there are 50 chapters available, it probably won't be viable to have matchmaking for all of them.

derFeef

I don't know if this will matter to that many people, but from the looks of the menu, I think you'll only be able to play the current episode of Spartan Ops in matchmaking, and not any previous ones. Not sure if that's really the case, but I wouldn't be surprised; I mean, right now there are only 250 people in MM for Chapter 4. Once we get to the point that there are 50 chapters available, it probably won't be viable to have matchmaking for all of them.

Frankie said SpOps episodes/seasons will be avialable everytime, I thought.

I love how Bungie realized their mistake with the Brutes was making them giant bullet sponges that weren't fun to fight, and tweaked them to actually rival Elites in terms of being a decent enemy.

Then 343 comes along and goes "lol Knights", and we're right back to having shitty enemies again.

Sai-kun

Banned
I was about to post how Oddball is my favorite gametype and then some mother fucker decides to take the ball and hide on Complex.

Great! I love that. Great job on the quality control.

I was about to post how Oddball is my favorite gametype and then some mother fucker decides to take the ball and hide on Complex.

Great! I love that. Great job on the quality control.

In their defense, that is a very strange thing to happen, and the chances of that happening during playtesting seems pretty slim. It's not like they go "Alright everyone, I want you to run and jump at walls today."

wwm0nkey

In their defense, that is a very strange thing to happen, and the chances of that happening during playtesting seems pretty slim. It's not like they go "Alright everyone, I want you to run and jump at walls today."
I kind of feel like this is something they should do in QA, discoved it myself around the 3rd day when I noticed my head clipped through it in a custom game with friends.

Data Ghost

Okay Is it just me or is Haven coming up ALL THE FUCKING TIME in Team Infinity Slayer??

Granted I havent played a lot of MP yet but I dont think I have even seen all the maps yet. I have see Exile just once. Every damn game.........Haven!

Ive resorted to calling the game Haven 4 :/

Ken

Okay Is it just me or is Haven coming up ALL THE FUCKING TIME in Team Infinity Slayer??

Granted I havent played a lot of MP yet but I dont think I have even seen all the maps yet. I have see Exile just once. Every damn game.........Haven!

4v4 only has like 3 maps worth playing anyways.

Data Ghost

4v4 only has like 3 maps worth playing anyways.

Thing is, everyone votes for Haven every time, I sit there thinking "ooo I havent seen that map" and vote for it, only for everyone else to stick a vote on Haven again. Haven is a good map but its not that great looking and its pale colours get boring after a while :/

Ken

Thing is, everyone votes for Haven every time, I sit there thinking "ooo I havent seen that map" and vote for it, only for everyone else to stick a vote on Haven again. Haven is a good map but its not that great looking and its pale colours get boring after a while :/

Well let me tell you that the other two maps are brown and brown.

TheOddOne

Slayer atleast has Haven, Adrift, Abandon and Solace on a pretty good rotation. BTB is Valhalla 24/7.

nickcv

guys how long is the campaign?

my bf is interested in the game but i won't be able to ever play the online and i wanted to make sure that the campaign was worthy on its own.

do you need to play the first trilogy to truly enjoy the story?

my bf is interested in the game but i won't be able to ever play the online and i wanted to make sure that the campaign was worthy on its own.

Yes and no. The main story itself requires no prior knowledge of the Halo series pretty much. The only advantage to playing the first three games would be establishing connections to characters.

DocSeuss

Uh, so I unlocked some stuff after playing Spartan Ops (CIO armor, awesome light rifle), and I played through Spartan Ops with it. Really like the texture of the light rifle.

Anyways, I got on and played today, and it's no longer on the list of stuff I have. Not only that, but twice, now (lvl 11 and 12), it's unlocked those (and FOTUS armor), but when I go to pick them in the item select screen, nothing's there. What gives?

NBtoaster

So my Live connection has spontaneously broken. Was fine when I got the game, got worse the last few days now games are unplayable and signing in takes ages or doesn't work. PC games work fine, PS3 works fine. I'm not alone in this either.

wwm0nkey

Uh, so I unlocked some stuff after playing Spartan Ops (CIO armor, awesome light rifle), and I played through Spartan Ops with it. Really like the texture of the light rifle.

Anyways, I got on and played today, and it's no longer on the list of stuff I have. Not only that, but twice, now (lvl 11 and 12), it's unlocked those (and FOTUS armor), but when I go to pick them in the item select screen, nothing's there. What gives?
Fotus is LE console armor and CIO is for mastering Spartan Slayer, no idea what's going on with that.

Trey

About 6-12 hours, depending on your ability and the difficulty you choose.

Also, I would say that you do need to have prior knowledge to enjoy the campaign fully, story wise. Nothing is fleshed out in the main campaign. You will have to consult hidden terminals in the game to get a satisfactory grip on the current story arc.

It does work as a standalone tale, though.

Ken

Do you have the LE console? I ask because you mention both light rifle and FOTUS armor and those both happen to be from the LE console. CIO bit is random but is the Amazon pre-order bonus too. So a possibility is you own the LE console and bought it from Amazon and there's some weird unlocking shenanigans going on.

Or your XBox is possessed and going crazy.

Data Ghost

Ive found the campaign to feel pretty short. I dont feel like Ive played the game much and Im on chapter 7 of 8.

tch

Fuck the Flood Challenge today. Managed to win one out of upwards of 30 games. Combined with the fucking Complex wall glitch, I surrender. I feel like if the purpose of the challenge is to promote the mode, they could've just done "kill X flood" or be the last man standing in a round.

DocSeuss

Do you have the LE console? I ask because you mention both light rifle and FOTUS armor and those both happen to be from the LE console. CIO bit is random but is the Amazon pre-order bonus too. So a possibility is you own the LE console and bought it from Amazon and there's some weird unlocking shenanigans going on.

Or your XBox is possessed and going crazy.

Yup. I purchased the 360 edition LE console from Amazon. Unfortunately, the power brick is fucked, so I've been borrowing my brother's.

Ken

Yup. I purchased the 360 edition LE console from Amazon. Unfortunately, the power brick is fucked, so I've been borrowing my brother's.

You should check your download queue and see if you haven't downloaded the 108 kb unlock keys for the armor yet. After that you should have it unlocked. If not then I don't know.

TheOddOne

UK Software Chart: Halo 4 debuts at the top for week ending November 10th
According to Chart Track, Halo 4 sold “slightly more units than last week’s PS3/360 Assassin’s Creed III (itself an event title from Wednesday 31st October)” and now “ranks as the 18th biggest SKU launch in terms of week 1 units.” It does not, however, beat the launch of Halo 3 in 2007, the fifteenth biggest SKU, or Halo: Reach in 2010, the twelfth biggest SKU.

Halo 4 released last week Tuesday, November 6th, and was the 16th event title launch this year (what is normally defined as a Tuesday or Wednesday release). Only two more event titles will be released this year, Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Hitman: Absolution, bringing the total of event games to 18 in 2012, a record as it’s up from 11 games in 2011.

Last week’s number 1 Assassin’s Creed III finishes in second place this week, with sales dropping by 73%. FIFA 13 moves down to third (-13%) and Need for Speed: Most Wanted climbs to fourth (-28%). Football Manager 2013 is at number 5 (-47%), while Skylanders Giants climbs two spots to sixth (+7%). WWE 13 moves down four places to number 7 (-60%).

Borderlands 2 benefits from a TV advertised deal, climbing 11 places and re-entering the Top 10 at number 8 with sales increasing by 180% from last week. Just Dance 4 keeps up the pace at number 9 (+10%) and Medal of Honor: Warfighter moves down to finish tenth as sales drop by 65%.

LittleBigPlanet Karting is the only other new entry in the Top 40 this week, debuting at number 24.

Source: Chart Track

rakka

SWATs out. time to test this baby out.

knowing 343 they probably managed to fuck something up with it as well. like even keeping JIP for the playlist.

Naked Lunch

Probably because Haven is the only good map in the game. These maps are junk.

Top Bottom