• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Dreaver

You're talking as if this is a long lasting AA when really it just gives you a short burst insight into the players actions. I never said it would be pointless overall, it of course has benefits. What I mean is other AA's server a better purpose when paired with good teamwork. Hardlight tends to keep people’s attention while your team can pick up shots, Jetpack can allow you to get a last headshot when in a bad angle, and so on. Not saying PV is completely useless, it's just not as useful to someone running in a group with good communication.
No offense, but I don't think you see how effective it can be and/or how to use it right. Perhaps it doesn't fit your play style. Of course it doesn't lost long but with intense 1v1 fights the 0.5 second benefit you have makes a HUGE difference. You can't communicate with your team how to "place your aim".

You are saying Jetpacks and Hardlight are more useful... Well to be honest I think the opposite in most cases. People with Jetpacks are extremely easy to kill as their movement pattern is more predictable / they are slower, Hardlight people are just easy to kill with a grenade.

(I am talking 4v4 with skilled opponents now, not BTB or so)

Well I play almost nothing but Domination on COD so maybe that is why I see strategy all the time, I don't play anything else very much (maybe kill confirmed occasionally and very rarely TDM). Just like the mode I play the most in Halo is Dominion. I never really cared for Team Slayer or Slayer as it was a camp fest in general.

Kill Confirmed....best gametype COD ever came up with.

I won't disagree, after a while the general population in slayer is mostly taking advantage of exploits and camping. I was mostly refering to the core gameplay and the upper skill based matches where there is a lot more to the gameplay than worrying about one spot/weapon on the map. Good map control and communication within a team will always trump a team camping and worrying about easy kills with a power weapon.

Prologue

Even though its unlikely, they should bring back some old school maps. The gameplay of 4 reminds me of 2. Bring back the original lockout and midship. Even terminal would be fun for team based games.

McNei1y

Headlong was definitely one of the best maps.

Again, I can't/don't want to do research on this but I have a question (that I will try to answer here).

How many 4v4/medium type maps were released with each game? Here is what I count from what I remember.

Halo: 10 (Chill Out, Damnation, Hang Em High, Chiron, Rat Race, Longest, Prisoner, Wizard, Battle Creek, Deralict)
Halo 2: 7 (definitely more than this: Midship, Lockout, Ascension, Collusus, Zanzibar, Beaver Creek, Boneyard)
Halo 3: 9 (The Pit, High Ground, Snowbound, Epitaph, Lockout successor (green one), Valhalla, Construct, Narrows, Zanzibar)
Reach: 8 (Sword Base, Fake Midship level, Powerhouse, Cage, Sanctuary, Ascension II, Boardwalk, The 3-tiered level based in the ship warehouse)
Halo 4: 5 (Adrift, Abandon, Haven, Solace, Complex)

I only ask because Halo 4 seems to lack the same amount. And with the way the voting system works, it really feels like only 2 maps were released with the game. They really need to add some Forge maps.

Edit:

Two more to Halo 2: Foundation and Ivory Tower (D'Oh, thats my favorite map from 2 and Reach). Boneyard is also Burial Grounds instead.
Halo 3 has 10 with Isolation (which I forgot again)
Reach has 9 then with Ivory Tower.

Edit 2:

Reach has 10 with a forge map I can't think of.

Did anyone else preorder from the Microsoft Store online? If so, have you received your code for the Pulse armor yet? I still haven't received mine..

Again, I can't/don't want to do research on this but I have a question (that I will try to answer here).

How many 4v4/medium type maps were released with each game? Here is what I count from what I remember.

Halo: 10 (Chill Out, Damnation, Hang Em High, Chiron, Rat Race, Longest, Prisoner, Wizard, Battle Creek, Deralict)
Halo 2: 7 (definitely more than this: Midship, Lockout, Ascension, Collusus, Zanzibar, Beaver Creek, Boneyard)
Halo 3: 9 (The Pit, High Ground, Snowbound, Epitaph, Lockout successor (green one), Valhalla, Construct, Narrows, Zanzibar)
Reach: 8 (Sword Base, Fake Midship level, Powerhouse, Cage, Sanctuary, Ascension II, Boardwalk, The 3-tiered level based in the ship warehouse)

I only ask because Halo 4 seems to lack the same amount. And with the way the voting system works, it really feels like only 2 maps were released with the game. They really need to add some Forge maps.
If 343i had added forge maps to the playlist, you will definitely have more 4v4/medium type maps. But they did not. And that was a great idea. (But I heard Relay is damn awesome)

Has 343i discussed why you can't drop the flag in Capture the Flag? There must be a blog post out there somewhere, yeah? I just want to revisit the discussion, because after playing a bunch last night, I love the changes they made the CTF, but I honestly struggle to understand why I'm not allowed to drop the flag.

Dedicated Carry certainly got the enemy flag through the jumper last night, but I didn't intend to pick the flag up—I had rockets and big plans to kill my pursuer first—I just made the mistake of getting a little too close to the flag when jumping for an angle on the kill. It certainly adds a contrived level of gaminess to the mode, but I almost like that because it feels "sporty", like pushing downfield in football.

Just lamented not being able to use mah rocks. Hrmph.

McNei1y

If 343i had added forge maps to the playlist, you will definitely have more 4v4/medium type maps. But they did not. And that was a great idea. (But I heard Relay is damn awesome)

5 maps to vote from is really thin, though. Haven is my favorite map out of the bunch but I feel like I've overplayed it. It seems like every game has had 8+ 4v4 maps at launch. 5 just seems too minimal.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Did anyone else preorder from the Microsoft Store online? If so, have you received your code for the Pulse armor yet? I still haven't received mine..

yeah, i got it today i think. just go to the website and do live chat - they'll resend it and give you the code in chat

Alchemy

I finished Halo 4 last night. I'm weird, I play Halo games for the single player campaign. I liked 95% of Halo 4 but the ending gameplay sequence (not cinematic or story) was atrocious. This is the first legitimate issue I've had with CoDs impact on the genre, that QTE sequence was shit.

No offense, but I don't think you see how effective it can be and/or how to use it right. Perhaps it doesn't fit your play style. Of course it doesn't lost long but with intense 1v1 fights the 0.5 second benefit you have makes a HUGE difference. You can't communicate with your team how to "place your aim".

You are saying Jetpacks and Hardlight are more useful... Well to be honest I think the opposite in most cases. People with Jetpacks are extremely easy to kill as their movement pattern is more predictable / they are slower, Hardlight people are just easy to kill with a grenade.

(I am talking 4v4 with skilled opponents now, not BTB or so)

Guess, I'm confused. As I'm not really thinking about 1v1's because in a good skilled 4v4 battle you rarely see 1v1's and when you do the person left living typically gets cleaned up by the other team fairly quickly. As for telling your team mates how to aim, you shouldn't need to. If the person has enough map awareness they should be able to be aware of the ways they could be going and at that point reaction takes over.

In your whole scenario you are assuming that without PV the person using it wouldn't have the first shot anyways. Sure if it's a 1v1 situation and the people are running directly at eachother but the one person gets the upper hand because of PV it gives an advantage, but even still it's not overpowered. The player could still recognize the ping on the map and stop moving forward. There is a counter to it.

As for the other AA's, again I'm not referring to 1v1's. With jetpack I can't even tell you how many times I have cleaned up a kill for someone on Haven in the middle because I used the jetpack to see out the window thats at the top of the long hallways. Or with Hardlight you mention using grenades, that's the point. As soon as someone takes out the shield your first instinct is to take their shield down meanwhile the other teammates are getting the last shot or two on you. I'm not saying these are better, but they can serve a better purpose depending on the team.

What about Team Defender, it's basically team regicide.

Hmmm don't think I ever played it. I didn't play much of the last one if it was on it.

Had some great times online this last weekend with friends. Played plenty of CTF which felt old school Halo.. This match started out great with me splattering someone only to have the flag they were stealing launch halfway across the match. Stuff that only happens in halo.. so good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZEzCkosBI

Oh man, awesome. Is there any way I could get you to record a match, or even a clip and publish to the ol' YouTube? I don't have the hardware for it, but I had some crazy CTF Ragnarok things happen this weekend that I'd love to share online.

On that note, is there any news on rendering clips? Is 343i going to support that?

Dreaver

Guess, I'm confused. As I'm not really thinking about 1v1's because in a good skilled 4v4 battle you rarely see 1v1's and when you do the person left living typically gets cleaned up by the other team fairly quickly. As for telling your team mates how to aim, you shouldn't need to. If the person has enough map awareness they should be able to be aware of the ways they could be going and at that point reaction takes over.

In your whole scenario you are assuming that without PV the person using it wouldn't have the first shot anyways. Sure if it's a 1v1 situation and the people are running directly at eachother but the one person gets the upper hand because of PV it gives an advantage, but even still it's not overpowered. The player could still recognize the ping on the map and stop moving forward. There is a counter to it.

As for the other AA's, again I'm not referring to 1v1's. With jetpack I can't even tell you how many times I have cleaned up a kill for someone on Haven in the middle because I used the jetpack to see out the window thats at the top of the long hallways. Or with Hardlight you mention using grenades, that's the point. As soon as someone takes out the shield your first instinct is to take their shield down meanwhile the other teammates are getting the last shot or two on you. I'm not saying these are better, but they can serve a better purpose depending on the team.

Hmmm don't think I ever played it. I didn't play much of the last one if it was on it.

I am not saying it's overpowered. I think it's perfect right the way it is. I am just saying it's it's very useful (the most useful in my opinion), I am not complaining I am just saying it IS good to the nay-sayers.. It's extremely useful to see how your enemy is strafing behind cover.

But whatever, I think we can agree to disagree and just use whatever fits you the best. :)

Edit:

Two more to Halo 2: Foundation and Ivory Tower (D'Oh, thats my favorite map from 2 and Reach). Boneyard is also Burial Grounds instead.
Halo 3 has 10 with Isolation (which I forgot again)
Reach has 9 then with Ivory Tower.

Edit 2:

Reach has 10 with a forge map I can't think of.
Quality of quantity, I think the maps are pretty decent-to-good. Not Halo 2 or Halo 3 level of awesomeness but better than the Reach maps for sure. I do hope the new map pack is at least two new smaller maps and they'll add some cool forged maps (SOON!).

I feel like this discussion shows how balanced the AAs are, outside of maybe Thruster Pack and possibly Cloak (although Cloak is less bothersome the more I pay attention to the peculiar brand of radar distortion it offers).

My feeling is that a blend of AAs is probably the best choice for a team. For instance, Hardlight is a lot stronger if the guy behind him has a Jetpack to get off shots. And they'd all benefit from a Regeneration Field ultimately. Throw in Promethean Vision for callouts outside of radar range and you've just setup a clutch 4v4 team.

They're Forge maps. Just different layouts with forge items to give more options to those Forge people.

Oh, they don't even have a default layout involving their respective canvases? They seems a little lazy on 343i or Certain Affinity's part. That's three maps which, right now, are basically not being cashed in on.

Did they explain what the plan is, there? Wait for great iterations of those maps to be developed by the community and introduce them into matchmaking? What about Relay? I saw gameplay of that map. And I remember seeing a Ravine KotH match that seemed fine.

I am not saying it's overpowered. I think it's perfect right the way it is. I am just saying it's it's very useful (the most useful in my opinion), I am not complaining I am just saying it IS good to the nay-sayers.. It's extremely useful to see how your enemy is strafing behind cover.

But whatever, I think we can agree to disagree and just use whatever fits you the best. :)

Oh, haha, guess I confused you with someone that was saying it was OP. My apologies then. It seems we are in complete agreeance, well besides which is better but that's subjective. :lol

I feel like this discussion shows how balanced the AAs are, outside of maybe Thruster Pack and possibly Cloak (although Cloak is less bothersome the more I pay attention to the peculiar brand of radar distortion it offers).

My feeling is that a blend of AAs is probably the best choice for a team. For instance, Hardlight is a lot stronger if the guy behind him has a Jetpack to get off shots. And they'd all benefit from a Regeneration Field ultimately. Throw in Promethean Vision for callouts outside of radar range and you've just setup a clutch 4v4 team.

I agree. That's actually how this started, I was defending PV by saying it's not OP. Besides Thrust I think they all work great and were a lot more thought out and balanced than they were in Reach.

Has 343i discussed why you can't drop the flag in Capture the Flag? There must be a blog post out there somewhere, yeah? I just want to revisit the discussion, because after playing a bunch last night, I love the changes they made the CTF, but I honestly struggle to understand why I'm not allowed to drop the flag.

Dedicated Carry certainly got the enemy flag through the jumper last night, but I didn't intend to pick the flag up—I had rockets and big plans to kill my pursuer first—I just made the mistake of getting a little too close to the flag when jumping for an angle on the kill. It certainly adds a contrived level of gaminess to the mode, but I almost like that because it feels "sporty", like pushing downfield in football.

Just lamented not being able to use mah rocks. Hrmph.

I don't know that I've ever seen a deeper explanation beyond "we don't like flag juggling."

U2NUMB

Oh man, awesome. Is there any way I could get you to record a match, or even a clip and publish to the ol' YouTube? I don't have the hardware for it, but I had some crazy CTF Ragnarok things happen this weekend that I'd love to share online.

On that note, is there any news on rendering clips? Is 343i going to support that?

I could grab the file from your file share in game and record it for you. Shoot me a friend request on live. tag: U2NUMB

j-wood

Question about the radar in multiplayer. If you are standing still or moving while crouched, you don't show up on radar right ?

McNei1y

Quality of quantity, I think the maps are pretty decent-to-good. Not Halo 2 or Halo 3 level of awesomeness but better than the Reach maps for sure. I do hope the new map pack is at least two new smaller maps and they'll add some cool forged maps (SOON!).

The maps are definitely quality ones. I enjoy playing on each of them. I'm just sort of upset by the lack of options. See how every other game has had at least 8+ maps. 5 is just too small of a number. I'm planning on buying that axxes thing to get the map packs cheap so I can play more maps.

Oh, they don't even have a default layout involving their respective canvases? They seems a little lazy on 343i or Certain Affinity's part. That's three maps which, right now, are basically not being cashed in on.

Did they explain what the plan is, there? Wait for great iterations of those maps to be developed by the community and introduce them into matchmaking? What about Relay? I saw gameplay of that map. And I remember seeing a Ravine KotH match that seemed fine.

Yeah I agree. It's sort of weird to just have 3 canvas maps and not even have any of the created content in the rotation! I hope they plan on adding some forge maps asap. I don't want to get worn out of all the maps just yet.

Looking back on screenshots from Halo 3... I think if it had Halo 4's resolution, lighting and character models, it would be a very pretty game.

I wish they would open the other maps up to Forging.

Woah, woah, wait what?! Non forge maps can't be forged? Haven't messed with Forge yet at all, so I don't know.

I already heard they screwed over custom games, but if you can't forge the non forge maps that would just be horrible. I want static weapons on maps.

No_Style

I'm enjoying the multiplayer very much but the framerate plummets quite a bit at times. No idea why. It might be lag but it doesn't seem like it.

Raide

Woah, woah, wait what?! Non forge maps can't be forged? Haven't messed with Forge yet at all, so I don't know.

I already heard they screwed over custom games, but if you can't forge the non forge maps that would just be horrible. I want static weapons on maps.

You can but you are super limited to what you can add. You have a few bits and you can add the objective stuff but you cannot fully build a new map over it.

Ok so you can level up really fast with double XP. I have played ~30 games and am at level 21.

THe MP reminds me of Halo 3 (which is a great thing). I really did not like Reach's MP, and while I know I probably should stray away from comparing them like this, Halo 4 feels a lot more "Halo" to me than Reach did.

Is this a common consensus or am I a wackjob?

The MP is quite addictive so far so yes it reminds me of Halo 3. My goodness Reach was just so disappointing.

So, everyone's favorite enemy to battle from best to worst?

-Elites
-Brutes
-Jackals
-Hunters
-Grunts
-Watchers
-Crawlers
-Knights
-Drones
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-Flood

You can but you are super limited to what you can add. You have a few bits and you can add the objective stuff but you cannot fully build a new map over it.

Oh OK, so nothing really different. I had heard the custom settings were lacking so I feared the worst when I read that. :lol

oktarb

Okay so a friend asked be to explain the campaign to him in my words before we've really talked about so we could see each others different takes on the "story". I admit I could also just me stupid.

Here's what I chatted:
My general thoughts are - float in space for four years so we can introduce anything we want. Find pro planet. Covenant is there cause they are continuing to look for something to control the verse - even with the truce. DiDick has been trying to escape for sometime - probably influence weak cov minds.

Chief shows up and helps release him - ok. Now he's free and babbles about how Humanity has not succeeded in becoming the master race ie the assuming the Mantle. So he of course sets out to wipe humanity out. He's also converted via mass effect mind control of cov fleet.

Cortana goes bonkers cause she can't holo fuck chief...I mean the put a time limit on AI.

The librarian "accelerates" Chief to a higher level GATTACA so he's immune to the Composer DNA blast. DiDick goes to earth to launch DNA blast, chief plods on carrying nuke. Cortana gains mass and can now affect the real world. Yay! Cortana Chief sex now a possibility.

RB for win.

Don't forget that you need to hand walk the nuke across the bridge to the core. You know the core that's completely open to space and you know probably open to attack by earths umm defense force?

Top Bottom