• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Raide

Oh OK, so nothing really different. I had heard the custom settings were lacking so I feared the worst when I read that. :lol

You lack all the bits like building blocks, walls, doors etc. Stuff you might need to actually make the map more varied but you can still use the various objective bits to add Dominion or CTF etc to the maps. Plus the spawn tweaks and Ordinance stuff.

You lack all the bits like building blocks, walls, doors etc. Stuff you might need to actually make the map more varied but you can still use the various objective bits to add Dominion or CTF etc to the maps. Plus the spawn tweaks and Ordinance stuff.

That is kind of a bummer. I remember a fun map varient on Valhalla that had a few sniper perches with debris to use as cover on the ground. Wasn't great for competition but it was good fun.

Tzeentch

-- Game was GREAT but had a very wierd ... feel ... compared to previous Halo games (not a bad feel, just different). Story had some wierd elements and inconsistencies (them suddenly knowing the name of the new Covenant patrol ship right after explicitely calling it "unidentified" was wierd, for example). The intro CoD quicktime stuff was ugh. And the enemies need work, the Knights in particular are almost the most boring enemy in the entire game series (Flood take that prize).

-- Some of the setting details were a bit inconsistent to me. Ring me up I know a guy who's bread and butter is technical architecture for roleplaying games and he could write you guys up a tech bible that will make Baby Master Chief cry (hint: David Pulver).

Fuchsdh

-- Game was GREAT but had a very wierd ... feel ... compared to previous Halo games (not a bad feel, just different). Story had some wierd elements and inconsistencies (them suddenly knowing the name of the new Covenant patrol ship right after explicitely calling it "unidentified" was wierd, for example). The intro CoD quicktime stuff was ugh. And the enemies need work, the Knights in particular are almost the most boring enemy in the entire game series (Flood take that prize).

-- Some of the setting details were a bit inconsistent to me. Ring me up I know a guy who's bread and butter is technical architecture for roleplaying games and he could write you guys up a tech bible that will make Baby Master Chief cry (hint: David Pulver).

What details exactly? For the most part I think they did a decent job on the architecture, only thing that was awkward were the physical buttons and switches--what happened to those Forerunner holograms?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Halo3 launched with much better Slayer maps than both Reach and now Halo 4. They were all distinct in their own way and seemed to be finely tuned for the gametype. Beautiful art direction too. What happened.

I would disagree with this completely. Halo 3 maps were the reason I stopped playing Halo 3 after Halo 2. Reach was so so, but I am enjoying the shit out of Halo 4 maps.

Tzeentch

-- A specific example is "hardlight", which isn't explained in the game (maybe in the Greg Bear books?). Indeed, the first I ever heard that term was in relation to the cancelled MMO. I think it's some form of force field that the Forerunners use for all sorts of things - but why do weapons shoot hardlight?

-- The size of the Infinity is inconsistent (notably, when it rams that Covenant cruiser in the Ops video). The Forerunner glyph system no longer appears to have any reasoning behind it (when they exist at all now, maybe when the Foreunners started bevelling edges they changed their writing system). What happened to the mini-constructors from Halo 2? Those were cool. Why do all the grunts look totally different from previous games (in-universe explanation)?

zlatko

Banned
So are the 5 new missions in Spops just as easy as the first 5? I'm probably going to roll through them tonight if they aren't time consuming.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is the latest Spartan Ops chapter being weird for anyone else? Each episode says I've done it on Heroic, but the Episode thing at the top is blank, and the challenge hasn't unlocked. :-/

So are the 5 new missions in Spops just as easy as the first 5? I'm probably going to roll through them tonight if they aren't time consuming.
Harder and longer.

xCobalt

I really wish one day we can play with strangers Forge levels online someday in match making.

I believe Halo Reach had two different playlists that had fan made forge maps. One was called action sack and were little minigames like skiball or hockey. I forgot what the other playlist was called but it was more competitive....some of the maps were pretty bad though.

Fuchsdh

-- A specific example is "hardlight", which isn't explained in the game (maybe in the Greg Bear books?). Indeed, the first I ever heard that term was in relation to the cancelled MMO. I think it's some form of force field that the Forerunners use for all sorts of things - but why do weapons shoot hardlight?

-- The size of the Infinity is inconsistent (notably, when it rams that Covenant cruiser in the Ops video). The Forerunner glyph system no longer appears to have any reasoning behind it (when they exist at all now, maybe when the Foreunners started bevelling edges they changed their writing system). What happened to the mini-constructors from Halo 2? Those were cool. Why do all the grunts look totally different from previous games (in-universe explanation)?
New developer is basically the answer to a lot of your questions, unfortunately. Believe me I wish they had focused their time on the new stuff and left classic designs alone, especially when it actively hurts gameplay (like the poorly audible fuel rod gun audio and visuals for instance.)

Tzeentch

New developer is basically the answer to a lot of your questions, unfortunately. Believe me I wish they had focused their time on the new stuff and left classic designs alone, especially when it actively hurts gameplay (like the poorly audible fuel rod gun audio and visuals for instance.)
-- I don't mean it's terrible or immersion-breaking, just annoying as I'm a gearhead and am always thinking about how to convert this stuff to GURPS :)
(I shed a single manly tear when GURPS Halo turned out to be a studio joke.)

Tawpgun

Hardlight is what those transparent bridges are made out of. They just make guns shoot hardlight particles now. Forerunners have a fettish for light and floating stuff.

daedalius

So, make sure you watch the Terminal videos for more story details... that stuff is pretty important.

It really should have been more tightly integrated with the game, too bad.

Woorloog

Banned

Hard light isn't explained in-game but it is self-evident, it is hard light, duh (interestingly, there is a real theory that states light might act as a solid, google "Solid Light"). It can be shaped, so it is ideal projectile, good against the Flood. Of course this leads to a question, why not just use high power laser?
A X-Ray laser would have a range of 10 lightminutes, at that distance it would kill everything with radiation, at one light minute it would melt steel.

The size of Infinity is not inconsistent. It is long, not that wide (compared to its lenght, and tapers towards the bow), the CCS-Battlecruiser is under 2km in length, and not very wide either.
Though i'll note that the cruiser the Infinity rams in that one cutscene may not be a CCS-class, it looks so large. It might be something else, think the CSO-class supercarrier in Reach, looks like an assault carrier but is 5 times as large.
(If anything, the size of CCS cruisers is wrong in this game, i spotted one that is really small, like the size of a Falcon (glitched backround) in mission 5)

zlatko

Banned
Is the latest Spartan Ops chapter being weird for anyone else? Each episode says I've done it on Heroic, but the Episode thing at the top is blank, and the challenge hasn't unlocked. :-/

Harder and longer.

I'll hold off till Thursday then when I'll have more time. Thanks. :)

MrDaravon

Yes.

How long is the 'season' going to be? 5 episodes or something?

10 episodes. I thought it was 5 at first too, but I probably thought that because there's an achievement for completing the first 5 on Legendary so I assumed that was it. I have a feeling that also means that the first 5 episodes are already on the disc, Episode 2 obviously was. Debating looking around hacker forums to see if anyone's unlocked the other episodes (if they are on the disc) to see how it goes, after finishing today's I have no desire whatsoever to play any more unless it considerably picks up.

Yes.

How long is the 'season' going to be? 5 episodes or something?

10 episodes over 10 weeks. But has potential based on reception to come back for other seasons.

Personally I want to see the feature evolve further. Let me play classic battles from Halo Lore and tell me new stories in the universe using the delivery method.

Like Made for TV movies or Feature Lenght episodes. 5-10 missions 10 min intro and outro. charge me for it.

Give me a cool unlock for completing.

Lets say I played as "Thom" during the mission he died. Give me all the Noble Team Helmets as unlock for completing it.

Show me what Buck and the Squad are doing after H3:ODST give me ODST armour and a few emblems upon completion.

The delivery system has the potential to be great fan service.

Fuchsdh

10 episodes over 10 weeks. But has potential based on reception to come back for other seasons.

Personally I want to see the feature evolve further. Let me play classic battles from Halo Lore and tell me new stories in the universe using the delivery method.

Like Made for TV movies or Feature Lenght episodes. 5-10 missions 10 min intro and outro. charge me for it.

Give me a cool unlock for completing.

Lets say I played as "Thom" during the mission he died. Give me all the Noble Team Helmets as unlock for completing it.

Show me what Buck and the Squad are doing after H3:ODST give me ODST armour and a few emblems upon completion.

The delivery system has the potential to be great fan service.

I still want the Halo version of Star Wars Battlefront (preferably with Halo's good enemy AI so OT provides a challenge.) would be a great way to relive larger-scale battles.

Elginer

I still want the Halo version of Star Wars Battlefront (preferably with Halo's good enemy AI so OT provides a challenge.) would be a great way to relive larger-scale battles.

That would be badass. Someone at MS needs to get on that. Also am I missing something or does Campaign not have matchmaking? I know the UI is shit (IMO) but did they really not include matchmaking for Campaign???

Man, that being inside the wall glitch on Complex is getting more and more common in the Flood matches :(

Thankfully it's easy to get in and kill the Spartans that do that shit though

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
So, everyone's favorite enemy to battle from best to worst?

-Elites
-Brutes
-Jackals
-Hunters
-Grunts
-Watchers
-Crawlers
-Knights
-Drones
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
... Flood ...

Did you just spoil quite a major plot point there for me? No idea that was in this game. Genuinely though, I didn't really follow the hype or anything so maybe it's a well known fact and I'm just an idiot.

Woorloog

Banned
Did you just spoil quite a major plot point there for me? No idea that was in this game. Genuinely though, I didn't really follow the hype or anything so maybe it's a well known fact and I'm just an idiot.

This was in general, not in-game. The game does not have Flood in campaign as confirmed ages ago, just in multiplayer. And the game does not have Drones or Brutes either.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
This was in general, not in-game. The game does not have Flood in campaign as confirmed ages ago, just in multiplayer. And the game does not have Drones or Brutes either.

Right, I'm not very far in the campaign.
Just got off the Mammoth
, or if I am, then fuck this game is disappointingly short. Thanks for clarifying.

Woorloog

Banned
Right, I'm not very far in the campaign.
Just got off the Mammoth
, or if I am, then fuck this game is disappointingly short. Thanks for clarifying.

8 missions, though most are quite long. This game is about the same length as previous Halos, not counting ODST.
I clocked 7h41min first time total, solo Heroic.

Serra

Goddamnit.

Finished campaign, went to halo waypoint to watch those terminal videos I unlocked. Hard lock when lauching from H4. Reboot Xbox, start waypoint and it takes around 10 minutes to load all my data in. I watch a few terminal videos and then it locks up on me again.

Jesus christ.

Trey

Goddamnit.

Finished campaign, went to halo waypoint to watch those terminal videos I unlocked. Hard lock when lauching from H4. Reboot Xbox, start waypoint and it takes around 10 minutes to load all my data in. I watch a few terminal videos and then it locks up on me again.

Jesus christ.

Here you go.

Heres my guy rocking the Best Buy armor.
fullbody

tch

Anyone have any luck with the challenge to get 18 king kills in regicide. It seems impossible so far.

Yeah right! The other day was like 9 and was barely doable (for me). What a joke. Haven't even tried yet.

The score cap is 300. @at least 15 points a regicide that's 270. And that's at least 15... And thats without killing non-kings. Pretty often it will be literally impossible due to the scoring system where the bounty is increased

zlatko

Banned
8 missions, though most are quite long. This game is about the same length as previous Halos, not counting ODST.
I clocked 7h41min first time total, solo Heroic.

I found it the right amount for pacing, but looking at my time it was short. I did about 7 hours 30 some minutes on Legendary solo.

Top Bottom