• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

haikira

Done it! =D

I'm seriously doubting my capability of handling chapter 8 on legendary. I think I died a good few times when doing it just on normal.

Done it! =D

I'm seriously doubting my capability of handling chapter 8 on legendary. I think I died a good few times when doing it just on normal.

I have a hard time remembering where the chapters ended and began but I had more trouble leading up to 8 than I did in 8. I had a lot of trouble with
The station where you're getting to the mech outside plus the mech part itself was hard, and the part with all the banshees flying around with enemies on all the platforms. I died so many times.

Crazyorloco

I forgot to mention this earlier, but when I opened my halo 4 case...there was no instruction booklet/manual. Is everyone else's case the same?

I miss manuals.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
clearly you didn't read his previous post.

oh wait you're one of the guys that takes offence whenever anyone points out a flaw in halo 4.

haha OK. I don't give a shit, I have nothing invested in halo 4. if you don't like it, just stop playing. I have a blast with it and think half of the GLARING ISSUES are overstated by whiners of which you seem to be one of the largest.

I read his previous post, but his 'test' is garbage. 'play a bunch and quit right at the end and see if you get points' of course you won't. Regardless of his intentions if he got kicked from a game not through his doing, the 'test' should not be rewarded, because his test scenario is the very definition of a rage quit (from the systems point of view).

Did all of you quit playing Halo 2 and Halo 3 for the day when you hit the XP Limit for those games? Whining about not getting XP in a HALO game makes me cry for what this industry has become.

What an ignorant post.

Halo 2 had no XP and 3's was just determined by your wins, and therefore there was no cap. Reach had a cap (really low at first) and it served literally no purpose, despite Bungie's (and now 343i's) claims that it is there to "preserve the integrity of the progression system". It's pointless and only serves to alienate the people they integrated the XP system for to begin with.

What an ignorant post.

Halo 2 had no XP and 3's was just determined by your wins, and therefore there was no cap. Reach had a cap (really low at first) and it served literally no purpose, despite Bungie's (and now 343i's) claims that it is there to "preserve the integrity of the progression system". It's pointless and only serves to alienate the people they integrated the XP system for to begin with.

It's not an ignorant post. He is pointing out that they had no XP and people still played. Getting XP or not shouldn't stop people from enjoying a game. It's just a ridiculous complaint.

haikira

Just remembered. Yesterday i was talking about how i didn't get my challenger achievement when i hit 25 challenges. Someone mentioned it should pop when i hit 26 though.

Turns out that was the case. Just got it on my 26th.

Man, i can't stand infinity slayer, top to bottom, I just find it terrible. Without weapon spawning around the map, and with instant respawning, the pacing take s on that kind of non stop breathlessness that I hate about a COD. I mean, I Scored an overkill with the saw, and got mowed down from behind as I scored the fourth kill, that's some BS that discourages good play in favor of throwing your body so you can respawn in a position to flank them.

Thankfully objective gametypes are great :). The CTF changes and setup work well even with randoms, and the oddball mechanics are just really fun. You should still have to hold X to grab objectives, but other than that the objective playlists are just great.

Was just thinking about the playlists and I was wondering if they will be able to do a multi game type playlist. So far it's seeming like they are splitting everything up and making it it's own playlist, even not having objective in BTB. Could it be that they won't be able to make an objective BTB list? And would have to make a BTB CTF playlist and a BTB Hill list or something like that?

Just wondering because I'd really like to eventually have an MLG playlist and would hate it if all the gametypes needed seperated.

If this was the case in Reach forgive me, didn't play much past the first month.

REV 09

just get rid of join in progress altogether.

disallow quitting when full game has been found

give sufficient time, 20-30 sec for post game so people can check out carnage report and decide whether they want to stay or go etc

have a penalty for quitting too often.

basically, go back to the reach system. it worked better. JIP made things worse.

no, no, no... this is a terrible idea. penalties for quitting should stay dead outside of ranked matches. JIP is a great addition. Nearly every game i play of Reach has unbalanced teams due to people immediately leaving. Now i can at least count on the teams to be evened out soon after someone drops.

JB1981

no, no, no... this is a terrible idea. penalties for quitting should stay dead outside of ranked matches. JIP is a great addition. Nearly every game i play of Reach has unbalanced teams due to people immediately leaving. Now i can at least count on the teams to be evened out soon after someone drops.

Completely agreed. Join in progress is a necessary "evil." Even though I don't even think it's an "evil", just a practical solution to players who quit in the middle of a game. Players quit, it's a fact. JIP is the best solution to that problem. I have played several games where it was 4-2. Me and the other guy stuck together, players joined midway .... and things completely turned around once more players joined. JIP should not go ANYWHERE.

zlatko

Banned
So any word if they are going to patch the bug that won't show your completion of legendary to get the chief helm?

I don't want to redo 2 levels on legendary for it, but I DO want the items I rightfully earned.

It's not an ignorant post. He is pointing out that they had no XP and people still played. Getting XP or not shouldn't stop people from enjoying a game. It's just a ridiculous complaint.

It shouldn't, but 343 refuses to learn from a lot of the mistakes that Bungie made with Reach (although there are definitely improvements as well). Whether you or anyone else agrees with it or not, there are people who play for the progression system itself. When they are told they are "wasting their time" because they've played the game too much in a day, they don't like that and they can and do stop playing. The same thing happened the first X months of Reach where they had really low cR caps (and rank caps, which were also pointless because you ended up just skipping ranks when they were lifted anyway).

Making this move even more bizarre is the whole "Double XP" cross-promotion with Doritos and Mt. Dew. They get these types of people with the promise of double XP so they can rank up faster and then pit a hard limit on the amount of XP they can earn per day? Hitting the cap is really easy with even a few games of DXP, and just makes the whole promotion pointless as well.

Essentially, it's a really dumb move and people are right for pointing that out.

JB1981

Found a bug/glitch last night when playing MP. There are times where I can't change my loadout on the respawn screen by pressing 'Y.' Nothing happens and the screen hangs. Not sure if this is a known issue.

Dyno

My SP and MP runs smooth but when I do Spartan Ops I get some crazy stalls. Screens freeze for a few second while the console tries to keep up. Is this a thing or might it be that I'm still running a launch 360?

rakka

splitscreen mp runs at a terrible framerate. especially complex, vortex etc. makes it unplayable at times.

but oh no, not a valid concern, the game is perfect.

Crazyorloco

My SP and MP runs smooth but when I do Spartan Ops I get some crazy stalls. Screens freeze for a few second while the console tries to keep up. Is this a thing or might it be that I'm still running a launch 360?

I have had that same issue, but in the campaign. I have a Xbox 360 slim.

Found a bug/glitch last night when playing MP. There are times where I can't change my loadout on the respawn screen by pressing 'Y.' Nothing happens and the screen hangs. Not sure if this is a known issue.

This is a known bug. Sometimes you can fix this by going to the start menu and choosing the "next loadout" option. However, I've had at least once personally where this didn't even work and the only solution was to restart the game.

It shouldn't, but 343 refuses to learn from a lot of the mistakes that Bungie made with Reach (although there are definitely improvements as well). Whether you or anyone else agrees with it or not, there are people who play for the progression system itself. When they are told they are "wasting their time" because they've played the game too much in a day, they don't like that and they can and do stop playing. The same thing happened the first X months of Reach where they had really low cR caps (and rank caps, which were also pointless because you ended up just skipping ranks when they were lifted anyway).

Making this move even more bizarre is the whole "Double XP" cross-promotion with Doritos and Mt. Dew. They get these types of people with the promise of double XP so they can rank up faster and then pit a hard limit on the amount of XP they can earn per day? Hitting the cap is really easy with even a few games of DXP, and just makes the whole promotion pointless as well.

Essentially, it's a really dumb move and people are right for pointing that out.

So you're saying some people play this game for the sole purpose of unlocking things?

I get the problem with gated content, I'm not a big fan either, but to let it get in the way of playing the game is crazy. If there were no XP caps and some people got everything the very first week would they just stop playing until a patch or DLC is released? This just seems dumb to me.

splitscreen mp runs at a terrible framerate. especially complex, vortex etc. makes it unplayable at times.

but oh no, not a valid concern, the game is perfect.

Have you tried to see if it effects you if you're in a custon game? I would be devistated if this effected lans. Though the custom games options for fun lan games aren't really there entirely. :/

pringles

There are XP caps? I've done nothing but play Halo 4 every free moment since launch, and haven't encountered any caps, so they can't be that low.

Nevertheless I think it's a valid complaint that implementing a progression system and then putting caps or excluding some modes is a great way to make people quit playing the game. Reach was awful about this. Play a 10 minute matchmade firefight? 5k XP. Play a 1 hour Legendary marathon firefight with your buddies? 40-50 XP. Fucking killed firefight for me.

Lima

So you're saying some people play this game for the sole purpose of unlocking things?

Yeah I do.

There are XP caps? I've done nothing but play Halo 4 every free moment since launch, and haven't encountered any caps, so they can't be that low.

They are quite low. With double XP you get around 12k xp for a spartan ops match. You could only play 7 of them and you hit the cap. I think they bumped it up to something around 100-130k. I got something like that yesterday when I hit the cap.

Basically, yes. There were people in Reach who played hardly any multiplayer, but grinded in Firefight and Campaign solely for commendations and cR ranks.

There are people who are completionists too that will play the game - even if they don't find it fun - just to unlock everything and complete commendations.

This is why certain types of RPGs are so successful and will always be. Only with this generation has the thought process been moved over to the FPS realm in any significant form.

Lima

I think they've capped it because they haven't finalized the perks/unlocks up to LVL 120.

That wouldn't make any sense because you can pick any of the specializations you want once you reach level 50. So that stuff is already there. Max level is 130 btw.

Got a question concerning the shield vs sword. Does anyone know why sometimes a sword will blast through my shield and other times won't?

Oh, and also why promeathean vision will sometimes not work on certain people? I used it on one guy and when I came around the corner, he was crouching and not showing up red.

God damn, that just seems sad to me. :lol I can't see how the currency/XP in a game could ever be more important than the actual fun had while playing. Maybe I'm in the minority and just didn't realize because I wasn't around much in Reach. The XP just seemed like an added on thing that I never paid attention to. I couldn't imagine ignoring a gametype if it just didn't give me enough XP or something like that. Seriously haven't paid attention at all, couldn't even tell you what rank/level I am.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think they've capped it because they haven't finalized the perks/unlocks up to LVL 120.

They have.

The cap is only an issue if you are using double XP, and playing a LOT (or playing a handful of Ops campaigns).

I hit it once in MP, but that was after playing with double XP for a good 5-6 hours. I have yet to hit it without.

343 has said they continue to monitor who and how many are hitting it and will adjust it accordingly.

pringles

They are quite low. With double XP you get around 12k xp for a spartan ops match. You could only play 7 of them and you hit the cap. I think they bumped it up to something around 100-130k. I got something like that yesterday when I hit the cap.
Well the average multi match is like 3k.. so that 40 games. 40 game of 6 minutes each, 240 minutes, 4 hours.. atleast. And that's non-stop, not counting downtime or longer matches.
The game shouldn't really be balanced around people who play 10 hours per day or have some doubleXP shit. I think it's already catering too much to that demographic, forcing you to play hundreds of games to unlock the emblem you want for example.

REV 09

i play a ton and have never hit it, but i don't use double XP.

also, complex does run poorly in split screen. my wife complains of lag, but i keep reminding her that it's the framerate.

see5harp

Got a question concerning the shield vs sword. Does anyone know why sometimes a sword will blast through my shield and other times won't?

Oh, and also why promeathean vision will sometimes not work on certain people? I used it on one guy and when I came around the corner, he was crouching and not showing up red.

If someone has camoflage on, it's a faint blue outline. You'll see a bunch of blue dots on your radar as well.

Andrew.

Banned
Is everyone else experiencing some lag when getting achievements or is it just the way it is? I just landed into Mission 4 and the cheevo for Mission 3 hasn't appeared yet..

Everdred

I hit cap in multiplayer 3 days in a row, with no double XP codes and no Spartan Ops. Didn't bother me much, I Just played campaign and tried to get achievements but would have been nice to not be limited. I already have 88 hours on the game... I love it. Level 56 in multiplayer.

Dunlop

Took being home today with bronchitis to finally have time to play and beat campaign mode.

Easily one of my favorite Halo games with the exception of the
deathstar trench run
which almost made me destroy the game in fustration dude to shitty controls

see5harp

Is everyone else experiencing some lag when getting achievements or is it just the way it is? I just landed into Mission 4 and the cheevo for Mission 3 hasn't appeared yet..

People have been saying that Acheivements aren't unlocking for them. I had no issues, but it does seem to be an issue for some people.

zlatko

Banned
Took being home today with bronchitis to finally have time to play and beat campaign mode.

Easily one of my favorite Halo games with the exception of the
deathstar trench run
which almost made me destroy the game in fustration dude to shitty controls

Lol what? I died like 2, 3 times tops on that part on Legendary. Controls work just fine and it's a hella easy portion of the game. Was a great follow up to what Reach introduced in its campaign.

Everdred

Lol what? I didn't died like 2, 3 times tops on that part on Legendary. Controls work just fine and it's a hella easy portion of the game. Was a great follow up to what Reach introduced in its campaign.
I didn't have any problems either. Actually enjoyed it.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Death Star trench run was one of my top moments of this generation. Had an old school StarFox feel, MGS4 death hallway cinematics, and dramatic weight.

Dunlop

Lol what? I died like 2, 3 times tops on that part on Legendary. Controls work just fine and it's a hella easy portion of the game. Was a great follow up to what Reach introduced in its campaign.

alrighty I'll attribute it to my endless coughing from the bronchitis then ;P

What do you mean? The actual phone app? The site works fine for stats. I'm not sure they have updated the actual apps. It works great on SmartGlass on iOS too though.

Ironically enough, the SmartGlass App on WP7 is telling me (for Halo 4 stats) that my phone is missing a required feature: Touch...

The only SmartGlass sub-app I've had any issues with. Go figure.

Seeing some comments above, I also really enjoyed the final chapter
Broadsword trench run
. Looked great, played well. Just-right difficulty on Legendary as well, mainly avoid getting greedy at the end when
clearing the turret pairs guarding the four nodes
, usually one at a time, keep the shields healthy.

Mr Swine

Banned
I've been out of the loop since Halo 3. How is the game? Is it Halo good or Halo 3 good? I think that Halo 2 was worst of the trilogy and while Halo 3 was better it never reached Halo in greatness. Are there bosses and last boss in the game?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've been out of the loop since Halo 3. How is the game? Is it Halo good or Halo 3 good? I think that Halo 2 was worst of the trilogy and while Halo 3 was better it never reached Halo in greatness. Are there bosses and last boss in the game?

IMO it's the best Halo since Halo. Campaign has some areas that don't quite get explained but overall was a solid story that had a lot more fictional depth than any of the past games. Multiplayer needs some tweaks, but is a lot of fun to play.

No bosses really.

zlatko

Banned
alrighty I'll attribute it to my endless coughing from the bronchitis then ;P

;) All is forgiven then. It's super easy just steer left and right, and you barely ever thrust. Hold RT to shoot random crap.

I agree with others above that it was one of my favorite moments in a game this generation. :D

zlatko

Banned

No real bosses, but some great level design and enemy encounters. Final boss moment/scene may even piss you off how it is executed. See: QTE.

Despite this, this is my favorite campaign for Halo or any FPS ever. MP is amazing,albeit needs a patch for some things.

Top Bottom