• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Hey, this isn't bad idea for a 'Camo' style AA.

They should still appear red on the radar, I'm more surprised that you managed to create a decent idea! :p
This could be too powerful. I don't know. They have this ability in Max Payne 3 and I could go on a 10 kill streak with it every time I would use it.

This could be too powerful. I don't know. They have this ability in Max Payne 3 and I could go on a 10 kill streak with it every time I would use it.

5-15 seconds with a recharge rate as long as camo. If you start teamkilling and suddenly you're red in their crosshairs it could be a problem.

i really love halo 4's multiplayer, but its telling that there arent more people online, even with the "cod" style changes they implemented. no cod player will switch to halo, no matter how much you try to appeal to them.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Treyarch seems to be doing everything in their power to get people to switch over to H4. The lag compensation, spawn system, and overall shit net code are far, far more rage-inducing then anything Halo 4 has to offer.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Treyarch seems to be doing everything in their power to get people to switch over to H4. The lag compensation, spawn system, and overall shit net code are far, far more rage-inducing then anything Halo 4 has to offer.

Thats only because they managed to screw CoD up this year as well lol.

Also I just noticed we will see the next monthly challenge soon. I still find it funny that there are monthly challenges in a game which seems like maxing the top rank can be done within a few months.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Camo should just be adjusted. Make it fade out or something. Kick up the recharge time etc..there's plenty of ways of addressing it to keep both the people who like it and hate it happy.

Make camo an outright powerup. Introduce a new armor ability that

in team games: makes your armor the same color as the enemy team. Crosshair, aim assist, etc. are unchanged.

in free-for-all: makes your armor the same color as a random person in the match.

The ability would likely not work in Flood, or disguise you as an infected member wielding a gun. Reverse would hold true as well: flood forms using it would look like humans with energy swords.

Duration would be much less then camo and would require a continuous use until exhaustion. Duration could be approximately 5-15 seconds, with a recharge of 30 seconds.

I think this would be more annoying and powerful than camo is personally.

JB1981

One of the reasons I have loved Halo in the past was the way combat was designed so it didn't have mechanisms that pushed back against the player. Engagement outcomes were determined by things like aim, movement, positioning, anticipation, situational awareness and leveraging the combat sandbox. There was a simplicity to it that made it a pleasure to play.

Flinch is a mechanic that runs counter to that design philosophy. Now long range combat is in part about who can best steady their bucking targeting reticule. (Or, who has the perk to stabilize it.) I can lose encounters because there's a game mechanic layered on top of something as simple as returning fire. I don't want to grapple with a mechanic that's pushing back on my input. It's like running against a treadmill. Just let me run.

In effect, I find it just frustrating as hell, and in its own way, even more frustrating that bloom. At least that one was under my control and semi-predictable. Now the reticule will jerk around unexpectedly and the result is I often lose a shootout because I wasn't able to steady my aim good enough. It's just maddening, and on large maps, determines the outcome of a lot of encounters.

To be honest, it's one of (many) reasons I think Halo 4 is simply broken beyond repair. It's just not a game I have any desire to play.

IIRC "descope" throws you out of zoom and is very jarring. How are you not fighting against the game here as well? You don't feel that it makes some sense to "flinch" when being pinged by enemy fire?

senador

Banned
IIRC "descope" throws you out of zoom and is very jarring. How are you not fighting against the game here as well? You don't feel that it makes some sense to "flinch" when being pinged by enemy fire?

Yeah this. I get where you are coming from Ghaleon, but descoping is exactly what you are describing you hate: mechanics that work against you. I don't want to defend one or the other, but I don't see how this argument works.

I haven't really had a problem with flinch, yet anyway, but I remember being extremely frustrated in rifle battles from past games when I got descoped over and over again and could never get any shots on my opponent. I felt I fought the game way more then than I ever will with flinch.

exYle

But you don't flinch when you're shot regularly.

in team games: makes your armor the same color as the enemy team. Crosshair, aim assist, etc. are unchanged.

in free-for-all: makes your armor the same color as a random person in the match.

The ability would likely not work in Flood, or disguise you as an infected member wielding a gun. Reverse would hold true as well: flood forms using it would look like humans with energy swords.

Duration would be much less then camo and would require a continuous use until exhaustion. Duration could be approximately 5-15 seconds, with a recharge of 30 seconds.

Good idea, but even with your suggestion it would be useless in free-for-all. What would be the benefit of appearing like another enemy? Haha. ;)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

lol why? Just get rid of Camo outright or make it an Ordnance drop (don't do this)

Izayoi

Banned
Active Camo as an AA was a horrible idea. It doesn't break the game for me per say, but there is no reason for it to be an AA and not a powerup. They should have went with something far more subtle if they wanted a stealth inspired AA, but TBH Im not sure what other options there would be. Its surprising that it made its return relatively untouched and maybe even more effective than its iteration in Reach.
It ruins CTF, and has a very negative effect on BTB especially. I still can't fathom the thought process behind turning what used to be a power up into something that players can spawn with and use at will.

If 343 is hell-bent on having it in the game, make it a possibility in ordnance drops.

Better yet, get rid of ordnance drops and put power ups and power weapons back on the map!

exYle

When do you flinch? I am not being obtuse or anything I'm being serious.

When you're zoomed in, getting shot will force your reticle upwards. It's pretty frustrating.

I dunno, guys. I hated descope and I hate flinch. It's hard to find compelling reasons for either to exist outside of debating which is better or worse than the other. I mean, if neither existed, and the person who won a long-range 1v1 firefight was based on who could strafe, aim, and time their shots better, wouldn't that suit everybody's purposes?

Spartan Ops definitely has the potential to get really creative and I can see it opening the eyes of other developers to implement a similar package. The ability to reuse all environments in the game in new and interesting ways even by subtle tweaks like adding crates or Forge-like structures brings a new level of gameplay to these same environments.

Not bad. I just wonder what the pricing will be like after this season is over and if that means we'll get much more content.

Are the servers down for other people? I was getting horrendous lag and then the game ended and I saw the message. Man, the last game I should had an overkill but my tank shell did nothing...

My challenges are unavailable to see. Though my rank is 38, my friends tell me it's 1.

When I start a game by myself it really says one, but career still states 38. Wtf?

And the game tells me I'm offline, and yes there is lag, a buddy of mine can't play because of it, while others have no trouble.

But still, wtf?

what if they just blurred the zoom in? farther the target the more blurry

This reminds me. I liked the way zoom looked in Halo 1, where the edges of the screen were blurred and only the center of the scope was fully focused. It had no real effect on gameplay, but it looked cool. They should've kept it for the following games.

My challenges are unavailable to see. Though my rank is 38, my friends tell me it's 1.

When I start a game by myself it really says one, but career still states 38. Wtf?

And the game tells me I'm offline, and yes there is lag, a buddy of mine can't play because of it, while others have no trouble.

But still, wtf?
Yeah, there are server issues right now.

Yeah, there are server issues right now.

Damn. My friends are playing SpOps now, and they have lag. I left the game because of the issue I have with my rank, even though in Career it says 38, when in a lobby, I'm lv. 1, no tag, and can't even choose my loadout. And challenges are gone.

It will return to normal right? I do not want to break the disc in half. I like the game, but not like this. I wanna play damnit!!

CyReN

Why do people hate flinch so much? I understand it's a change from Descope but what about it design-wise do you find so game breaking ?

It's terrible, have you played Team Snipers with it? If you have a guy in front of you, you both flinch around like chickens with their heads cut off.

cluto

De-scoping was a far better mechanic for keeping snipers and other long-range weapons in check. There's enough leeway with flinch to re-aim your shots and finish off a guy all the way across the map, even if you're being shot. This, combined with the DMR's insane reach, makes the general combat range in Halo 4 way longer than it was in previous Halos. It's for these same reasons that Ragnarok is arguably ruined in comparison to its Halo 3 version.

The super competitive will also argue that re-scoping after being de-scoped is a skill in itself, so getting those long range kills was more demanding of skill, unlike flinch, which is one of the many random factors introduced to the game. There's no skillful way to compensate for random crosshair shaking -- it's not the root of the problem, but it's just another example of the game requiring less skill overall. And I don't understand how calling de-scoping "jarring" is an argument -- there is nothing more jarring than someone shaking your screen with their bullets.

Sprinting, chosing your own starting weapons, tayloring your abilities to your own playstyle, killcams to see how you can improve, join-in-progress, playlist per gametype, weapon balance, plasma pistols to take down overpowered vehicles, feel of the weapons, jump height, and a million and a half other things that define the online play experience.

And yet you come to a hardcore online community and you read shit like "Flinch is breaking what defines Halo and I can't play online like this", it just makes you sad. Like seriously. It's time like this where if I was a developer, I'd say fuck it. It's like if your wife got a pimple once and you filed for divorce. It's so damn petty.

And there are thousands of different features and systems at play to define what makes this game Halo and fun, and yet the "hardcore community" is typically the shallowest, where they always break the damn game to one feature and how it's ruining everything.

Dual Wielding is no longer Halo.
Lack of Hitscan is no longer Halo.
Bloom is no longer Halo.
Armor Lock is no longer Halo.
Flinch is no longer Halo.

Times like these I pity those who think they are true Halo fans, when millions of "clueless noobs" are out there and enjoying the game just fine. I rather play with those that just wanna play for fun.

Izayoi

Banned
Times like these I pity those who think they are true Halo fans, when millions of "clueless noobs" are out there and enjoying the game just fine. I rather play with those that just wanna play for fun.
I don't even know where to start. You're making a blanket statement about a very large group of people, many of whom would fall into the "clueless noob" category when it comes to skill level.

Are you saying that people who actively discuss and analyze the game's mechanics and core systems are fooling themselves into thinking that they are "true Halo fans"? I'd argue that the people here, who dedicate almost as many hours playing the game as they do breaking it down and discussing it with others, are "bigger" fans than those who play it with a passing interest for a month and then move on to the next big thing.

I see this "Well, you spend a lot of time criticizing - you must not be a real fan!" shit all of the time, and frankly, it's a fallacy. Many times, the people who are the most critical are also the ones who hold the series to a higher standard. They expect more than the average person, because they care about it and want it to be the best that it can be. So please, let's hold off on the hyperbole and broad generalizations.

cluto

Sprinting, chosing your own starting weapons, tayloring your abilities to your own playstyle, killcams to see how you can improve, join-in-progress, playlist per gametype, weapon balance, plasma pistols to take down overpowered vehicles, feel of the weapons, jump height, and a million and a half other things that define the online play experience.

And yet you come to a hardcore online community and you read shit like "Flinch is breaking what defines Halo and I can't play online like this", it just makes you sad. Like seriously. It's time like this where if I was a developer, I'd say fuck it. It's like if your wife got a pimple once and you filed for divorce. It's so damn petty.

And there are thousands of different features and systems at play to define what makes this game Halo and fun, and yet the "hardcore community" is typically the shallowest, where they always break the damn game to one feature and how it's ruining everything.

Dual Wielding is no longer Halo.
Lack of Hitscan is no longer Halo.
Bloom is no longer Halo.
Armor Lock is no longer Halo.
Flinch is no longer Halo.

There are many, many "pimples on the face of my wife" that detract from the overall multiplayer experience. We just happen to be talking about flinch at this point in time.

It's terrible, have you played Team Snipers with it? If you have a guy in front of you, you both flinch around like chickens with their heads cut off.

How about.. they remove the flinch on the Snipers when being shot with anything but a.. Sniper?

I think the whole idea of flinch is unfaily being shat on while descoping was much more jarring.

Grisby

Anyone have a link to what the other specialization perks are? I know Pioneer gives you more XP.
Spartan Ops definitely has the potential to get really creative and I can see it opening the eyes of other developers to implement a similar package. The ability to reuse all environments in the game in new and interesting ways even by subtle tweaks like adding crates or Forge-like structures brings a new level of gameplay to these same environments.

Not bad. I just wonder what the pricing will be like after this season is over and if that means we'll get much more content.
Spartan Ops is alright but to be honest, I don't think I'd pay for a season unless the end of this one gets really good.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

don't stress too much, it seems there is a large userbase and people are playing it alot. this happens every halo release as you already noted. Game is good, it'll get some tweaks.

I'm amused at all the camo complaining, I don't find it that overpowered. Im not dying a whole lot more against camo users than others. I'm also a dirty camo user though, love it.

Bought this game in BF, finished the campaign in normal and I really love this game at least in the SP part of it, much more story than the last 3.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm also a dirty camo user though, love it.
I'm sure that doesn't influence your opinion at all, right? If it's not all that great, why do you use it (and love it)?

Being able to sit somewhere on Ragnarok and pick people off while crouching in the middle of a field and never receive any return fire was fun for a match or two, as was camping in the bottom of the bases on CTF with the shotgun, but then I realized how utterly ridiculous all of it is. Why can I do this in a Halo game? Why am I allowed to repeatedly use this power? Why can I spawn with it?

So instead I use the Jet Pack, because while ridiculously overpowered, at least people shoot at me!

Hey, this isn't bad idea for a 'Camo' style AA.

They should still appear red on the radar, I'm more surprised that you managed to create a decent idea! :p

Eh, I bet getting killed by guys of the same color would feel too cheap. Maybe if they appeared as a neutral color and both teammates and enemies where shown on the radar the same way while using it..

De-scoping was a far better mechanic for keeping snipers and other long-range weapons in check. There's enough leeway with flinch to re-aim your shots and finish off a guy all the way across the map, even if you're being shot. This, combined with the DMR's insane reach, makes the general combat range in Halo 4 way longer than it was in previous Halos. It's for these same reasons that Ragnarok is arguably ruined in comparison to its Halo 3 version.

The super competitive will also argue that re-scoping after being de-scoped is a skill in itself, so getting those long range kills was more demanding of skill, unlike flinch, which is one of the many random factors introduced to the game. There's no skillful way to compensate for random crosshair shaking -- it's not the root of the problem, but it's just another example of the game requiring less skill overall. And I don't understand how calling de-scoping "jarring" is an argument -- there is nothing more jarring than someone shaking your screen with their bullets.

Eh, I hated de-scoping. Flinch can be annoying, but de-scoping was just not fun for me. I do think flinch needs tuned a bit, but I feel it would be a step backwards to bring back de-scoping.

Fuchsdh

This reminds me. I liked the way zoom looked in Halo 1, where the edges of the screen were blurred and only the center of the scope was fully focused. It had no real effect on gameplay, but it looked cool. They should've kept it for the following games.

They've still got that, at least for the HUD scope, but like a lot of stuff in Halo 4 it's a bit overrought.

I'd love for a bit of the Halo 4 experience (the slight Metroid-style bobbing, etc.) but drastically reducing the helmet lines and other UI. Looking at Halo 2 is like a step into another universe where everything wasn't plastered to your face and you could just enjoy the visuals.

I'm loving 343's take on Call of Duty's Domination gametype.

Dominion is really really fun.

Issues I'm having with it are that on certain maps (Exile springs to mind), it's basically only one base that's ever under real contention and it just becomes a sort of murderous sluice to the center. I kill a couple guys, cap the base, kill a few more but the narrow corridors with three openings mean I'm dead and no one else bothers to fortify so it falls to the enemy again.

Eh, I bet getting killed by guys of the same color would feel too cheap. Maybe if they appeared as a neutral color and both teammates and enemies where shown on the radar the same way while using it..

No doubt, anthing involving camo in a MP environment would feel cheap.

Eh, I hated de-scoping. Flinch can be annoying, but de-scoping was just not fun for me. I do think flinch needs tuned a bit, but I feel it would be a step backwards to bring back de-scoping.

I've put the stability mod on each and everyone of my loadouts, it has made a great and almost game changing diffrence to me.

Man! The disappearing weapons is totally bumping me out. Got an ordinance for a sweet SAW. Let's do this! Get killed by a tank. Go back to where I died and my SAW is already gone...

And can we boot people in Halo 4? Some jackass team killed me in their ghost TWICE and I couldn't get rid of him. He also ran over two of my team mates once each...what the hell...haha!

Overdoziz

Banned
Why do so many of you dudes hate sprint? Who wants to be less mobile? I really dont get the hate.
I'd rather be able to move around fast without having to lower my rifle and wait for a second to be able to shoot again. That's part of Halo to me, being able to jump, shoot, throw grenades while you're still fully mobile. Base player movement has been so goddamn slow ever since Halo 3, it's just frustrating.

BLCKATK

I'm sure that doesn't influence your opinion at all, right? If it's not all that great, why do you use it (and love it)?

Being able to sit somewhere on Ragnarok and pick people off while crouching in the middle of a field and never receive any return fire was fun for a match or two, as was camping in the bottom of the bases on CTF with the shotgun, but then I realized how utterly ridiculous all of it is. Why can I do this in a Halo game? Why am I allowed to repeatedly use this power? Why can I spawn with it?

So instead I use the Jet Pack, because while ridiculously overpowered, at least people shoot at me!

I know when I use camo people tend to actually look for me. It's easy to be seen, especially when you are shooting/throwing grenades/moving. Knowing that there are camo users around makes me more aware as a gamer and since release I have seen others adapt to camo (like in Reach) where people were constantly checking corners. So far I haven't seen camo be a game breaking experience but its different for everyone.

Top Bottom