• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Actually I guess I might have hit the daily cap.
I forgot I was rolling double XP and I also played early this morning. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Nitsuj23

I haven't really played Halo since Halo 2, but I got 4 and had to make a new Live gamertag due to linking and unlinking issues with old MS accounts. Don't even want to get started on that... I can't access my account I've had for years because at the time I made it I needed a parental account. The info to that is long gone. Had the gamertag since like 04, kind of bitter about it.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone wanted to play. I'm down for campaign or multiplayer. Only on mission 4 in the campaign.

JooseBox23 is the new tag, talk to someone soon hopefully haha

Jinjo

The amount of times I get pipped right at the fucking end of the match in regicide are numerous. I like FFA, but playing sensibly in regicide makes it impossible to win. Rushing the king with no regard for anything else seems to be the best strategy. Which is not cool.

Izayoi

Banned
Waypoint is such an unusable piece of shit. Half of the time I get stuck in an endless "Please enter your password," loop. Why didn't they just copy Bungie.net? It was way better than the current iteration.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I must say, this is the best Halo MP yet. The join-in-progress changes everything, it solves all my frustrations with the previous Halos. Halo 3 maps were a bit better, but that is easily solved. The core gameplay itself is amazing and the balance is really great.

The only thing I miss at this point is that popular playlist that rotated different game types. So far I have only played Infinity Slayer for some 20 hours.

I must say, this is the best Halo MP yet. The join-in-progress changes everything, it solves all my frustrations with the previous Halos. Halo 3 maps were a bit better, but that is easily solved. The core gameplay itself is amazing and the balance is really great.

The only thing I miss at this point is that popular playlist that rotated different game types. So far I have only played Infinity Slayer for some 20 hours.

Yeah JIP is great when it doesn't split your party up or keep sending you into games that are pretty much over.

Woorloog

Banned
Spartan Ops was so bad this week.. So much recycling..

Again? Well, fuck you 343i.
I'm not touching that shit anymore.
No matter the scenarios are different... I'm sick of doing the same maps again. I'm sick of doing MP maps in SpOps.

The most interesting thing in Halo 4, and they managed to fuck it up.

Of course the thing was DOA when it was clear it didn't have any challenge whatsoever in the first place...

raindoc

anyone done "Infinity" on solo legendary with mythic skull?
last battle - waiting for cortana to open the door with a couple of mg-turrets in front/fighting prometheans.
on plain legendary i just wasted everyone with the mg-turret on top of the ledge, but that doesn't work here and ammo is very rare. been down to only two knights left twice already, but then i also only have an AR left to deal with those...

i just did it. well, almost. i still hadn't touched the first DMR ammo drop, had railgun ammo left and cortana just announced that she was finished when 3 crawlers spawned directly in my back and caught me with my pants down while reloading. never was killed that quick by crawlers, still struggle to believe this shit. oh yeah - of course no checkpoint. FUUUUU

Again? Well, fuck you 343i.
I'm not touching that shit anymore.
No matter the scenarios are different... I'm sick of doing the same maps again. I'm sick of doing MP maps in SpOps.

The most interesting thing in Halo 4, and they managed to fuck it up.

Of course the thing was DOA when it was clear it didn't have any challenge whatsoever in the first place...

yeah, i hate that they included it when they didn't have to.

Woorloog

Banned
yeah, i hate that they included it when they didn't have to.

Do it well or don't do it at all.
The least they could have done is to limit lives in SpOps missions, that alone would have made the mode actually interesting, gameplay-wise. Then re-used areas would be forgiveable, assuming the scenario desing works (it doesn't).

As it is, the mode has no challenge. At least make the matchmaking Legendary, 4 player heroic is a joke. 2 players on Heroic is a joke in all Halos...
Of course, matchmaking isn't fun, the mode lags far too much, except for the host... Yes. That little bit of lag kills the mode. Same as with Reach Firefight and campaign MM. I don't know how people managed to play those. It is playable, just not fun. Might as well stick to single player campaign or War Games multiplayer, at least those are fun.
Mission areas are recycled. Recycling wouldn't be an issue, if the already recycled areas weren't recycled AGAIN!
Mission design itself is pretty boring and stale. Last week, the idea of an assassination mission was awesome. I knew, however, before starting the mission, it won't be that simple. I was disappointed to find out how right i was, the mission degenerated to a boring tank shooting. Where are "reach destination" missions (like campaign missions, killing technically optional in many situations)? Why does every mission end in a Firefight scenario? To appeal to FF players?
And bugs. Fucking mini-Covenant? How the fuck am i supposed to shoot super fast, micro-sized Elites and Jackals with normal sized and powered guns? Marines getting stuck to walls? Invincible Promethean Knights?
And why don't the missions itself have more story? It was supposed to be narrative driven mode, as it is, the narrative consists: "Hey guys, things to shoot!". They should have given Crimson an AI, that way we'd have some exposition during mission that is not Commander-fucking-Shepard.

As of late last night I still can't play full Halo 4 multiplayer. I'm SR40 but it says SR1, I can't play Spartan Ops or complete commendations or challenges (and now I probably won't have enough time to finish the monthly one), and when I try to play War Games I'm told that the Halo 4 servers are down and I'm given a limited number of playlists to join (and when I do it's unplayably laggy). There's nothing wrong with my Internet connection or router or anything, and from the searching I've done I'm apparently one of numerous people that this is happening to.

This is pretty fucked up, 343.

OrangeOak

As of late last night I still can't play full Halo 4 multiplayer. I'm SR40 but it says SR1, I can't play Spartan Ops or complete commendations or challenges (and now I probably won't have enough time to finish the monthly one), and when I try to play War Games I'm told that the Halo 4 servers are down and I'm given a limited number of playlists to join (and when I do it's unplayably laggy). There's nothing wrong with my Internet connection or router or anything, and from the searching I've done I'm apparently one of numerous people that this is happening to.

This is pretty fucked up, 343.

You are not alone,I can't play either.
There is topic on halo waypoint forums with people that are experiencing the same issue but there is no response from 343i.

Anyone feel like the hit boxes have been enlargened quite a bit? I used to suck with the sniper rifle in every previous Halo game and I haven't played Reach for at least a year and now I find that I've been on the giving and receiving end of a large number of wack ass sniper kills.

Kujo

You are not alone,I can't play either.
There is topic on halo waypoint forums with people that are experiencing the same issue but there is no response from 343i.
This! I haven't been able to play since the past 2 nights. Continues to say the server is unavailable or such.

Can't play multiplayer with others
Can't play Spartan Ops
Can't do any challenges
Can't earn commendations
Can't look at my stats in game or on Waypoint (Reach stats show up fine)

SR1 in lobby but proper rank in the start menu. This is really annoying, I've tried everything, all other online games I have work as normal

Striker

Wanna know what I'm fucking tired of? I'm fucking tired of getting a god damn game and not being able to play a simple all against all multiplayer game. Y'know, the thing that made FPS multiplayer so popular to begin with? I don't give a fuck if there's a billion other game types, but I should be able to play everyone vs everyone else with no god damn objectives.

I actually wouldn't mind Regicide if it maxed out at like 25 points for killing the king, but as it stands Regicide blows. I've always hated KOTH and Oddball.
Oddball is better, but it still a fairly minor gametype in a Halo game. Halo always stood out to me as an objective based game - yes Slayer has always been more popular, but to me the games shine far greater in CTF, Assault *cough*

wK19s.jpg

...asymmetric games of attack and defend, doses of 3 Plots/Territories, and then KotH and Oddball. Oddball was only truly great on small maps. KotH can be used anywhere, although it isn't a great gametype to begin with. But most of that? Gone. Those in the game now? Gimped with little to no customization. Hey, there's still Flood and Grifball. Sigh.

343 severely dropped the ball with gametypes, and the lack of options, in this game, and is a major reason why I haven't had any thought of putting back in again soon.

Do it well or don't do it at all.
The least they could have done is to limit lives in SpOps missions, that alone would have made the mode actually interesting, gameplay-wise. Then re-used areas would be forgiveable, assuming the scenario desing works (it doesn't)..
Another blunder to me. Though, I'm not sure limited lives are the way to go with all these issues at hand. Spawns, enemies with tons of one hit weapons, teammates running you over or trying to on purpose, etc. There are so many problems, and some of which pertain to this game mode, and it's just not very fun. Not too surprising considering the rest of the game.

Oddball turned into one of my favorite playlists in Halo 4 for reasons I still don't fully comprehend.

Yesterday was an exception: I couldn't aim for jack. I kept getting outgunned left and right and centre.

Oddball turned into one of my favorite playlists in Halo 4 for reasons I still don't fully comprehend.

Yesterday was an exception: I couldn't aim for jack. I kept getting outgunned left and right and centre.

I love the new Oddball. I'm one of those old-school players - when I have the ball I'm always near a ledge just in case I need to jump off and yell PLAY BALL! to my teammates so they run to the spawn area.

However, I'm not a fan of instant-spawn for this gametype. It makes no sense.

I love the new Oddball. I'm one of those old-school players - when I have the ball I'm always near a ledge just in case I need to jump off and yell PLAY BALL! to my teammates so they run to the spawn area.

I throw it over the edge just to spite the other team. It's goddamn annoying when you end up in a team of Randy's who only care about killing instead of scoring points, though.

"THE BALL RESPAWNED, GUYS, WHY AREN'T YOU HEADING TO IT. GUYS. GUYS. COME ON GUYS. OH FUCK IT."

This! I haven't been able to play since the past 2 nights. Continues to say the server is unavailable or such.

Can't play multiplayer with others
Can't play Spartan Ops
Can't do any challenges
Can't earn commendations
Can't look at my stats in game or on Waypoint (Reach stats show up fine)

SR1 in lobby but proper rank in the start menu. This is really annoying, I've tried everything, all other online games I have work as normal

It's a problem on 343's end and thus far they've not responded to anyone who is having problems. What can we do to get a response?

I don't like it for any gametype really. Swat it makes it even worse.

I was in a game of Swat on Complex and the spawns were screwed up somehow and I could not spawn anywhere other than on the garage side of the map and the other team all had high ground and had all corners of the map covered. I had a string of about 6-7 instant deaths and finally spawned by the backside of the map. Not to mention the amount of times you kill someone to have them instantly kill you from the new place they spawn.

Crazyorloco

I'm at SR28, and I just realized there's a circular bar on screen that goes up for ordnances... I thought it went by something like "get 3 kills get ordnance".

See this is why games need instruction booklets.

I'm still having a great time with the game. And haven't had many of the glitches mentioned in this thread (loadouts, k/d ratio not updating, SR incorrect etc..)

Can't wait for December 10th!!!

This was discussed in the OT, but not here!

Zie Germans brought us some juicy details:

Crimson Map pack: December 10, 2012.
Majectic Map pack: February 28, 2013.
Castle Map pack: April 1, 2013.

Here are some pictures from the maps coming up:

- Crimson Map pack: Wreckage, Harvest, and Shatter.
- Majestic Map pack: Landfall, Monolith, and Skyline.
- Castle Map pack: Daybreak, Outcast, and Perdition.

Any ideas when we will get an actual glimpse of the maps? Seems pretty near to have nothing but some art of them.

It's definitely weird - two weeks before launch we should have lots of images and videos of the new maps. Makes me think the Halo 4 marketing department is dropping the ball, or those release dates are not accurate.

XNarte

See this is why games need instruction booklets.

Seriously. It is ridiculous. The first Halo game to add completely new gameplay systems to Multiplayer and they don't have a way to teach people how things work. I can figure it out, but my father likes Halo and he bought his first Halo game with Halo 4, and I've basically had to teach him everything to do with multiplayer, and he has been playing at LAN parties with us since Combat Evolved.

It's definitely weird - two weeks before launch we should have lots of images and videos of the new maps. Makes me think the Halo 4 marketing department is dropping the ball, or those release dates are not accurate.

Was thinking this as well.

Hell they could have at the very least shown an image in each of the weekly updates they have been doing. But there seems to be very little communication overall.

So my buddies are getting railed in Halo 4. They were pretty good at Reach but they are barely managing positive overall K/Ds. (!!!) They say they die way too fast - like, instantly - and can never win a gunfight.

Apart from "get better", any advice for them? I'm kind of at a loss as to how to help them out. But at this point they only want to play SWAT, and several are wanting to defect to BLOPSII.

Grisby

Hooray for fast track.

Also, I take back what i sad about the MP being completley fine. Maaaaybe the Boltshot could use a bit of a nerf. That thing seems like a portable shotgun now that I notice more people using it.

zlatko

Banned
Hooray for fast track.

Also, I take back what i sad about the MP being completley fine. Maaaaybe the Boltshot could use a bit of a nerf. That thing seems like a portable shotgun now that I notice more people using it.

I have been using it since day 2. Thing is a beast. Although PP is great in BTB to take out vehicles.

Boltshot saves my life so much from people who want to rush me. I even got a bull true with it on a sword guy. :D

I have been using it since day 2. Thing is a beast. Although PP is great in BTB to take out vehicles.

Boltshot saves my life so much from people who want to rush me. I even got a bull true with it on a sword guy. :D

It's my secondary on all loadouts except my BTB loadout, where I use the PP.

So my buddies are getting railed in Halo 4. They were pretty good at Reach but they are barely managing positive overall K/Ds. (!!!) They say they die way too fast - like, instantly - and can never win a gunfight.

Apart from "get better", any advice for them? I'm kind of at a loss as to how to help them out. But at this point they only want to play SWAT, and several are wanting to defect to BLOPSII.

Best advice I can think of and probably the most obvious is to play patient. With sprint being default it seem people are quick to run and get to the action and often disregard their suroundings in the process. If you drop the urge to immediately run to where you know the action is you seem to put yourself in less risk of being killed.

Do they play SWAT any differently than they do in other games? I notice a lot of people don't really use sprint as much and take their time more in SWAT. See if they play that same way in other gametypes. Could help.

Sorry if not much help. If their issue is just winning 1v1 battles maybe suggest to lower their look sensitivity, that could help a lot short term.

Hooray for fast track.

It ruins Abandon.

Prologue

They seriously need to boost the vehicles (hogs) Maps aren't wide enough as it is and people could practically spawn with sticky grenades :(

zlatko

Banned
Best advice I can think of and probably the most obvious is to play patient. With sprint being default it seem people are quick to run and get to the action and often disregard their suroundings in the process. If you drop the urge to immediately run to where you know the action is you seem to put yourself in less risk of being killed.

Do they play SWAT any differently than they do in other games? I notice a lot of people don't really use sprint as much and take their time more in SWAT. See if they play that same way in other gametypes. Could help.

Sorry if not much help. If their issue is just winning 1v1 battles maybe suggest to lower their look sensitivity, that could help a lot short term.

Not to mention you have to come to a stop out of run in order to shoot. Fairly big wait time to and it feels like a solid second or more before the trigger will fire.

I'd also add in they need to figure out good map control spots, learn common spawns, and to try to stick together as often as they can. DMR everyone up, and use your ordnance and perks often as you can.

Grisby

I suppose I'll start using it too. Could use the extra XP form the commendations. And sheesh at my original post with that spelling.

Not to mention you have to come to a stop out of run in order to shoot. Fairly big wait time to and it feels like a solid second or more before the trigger will fire.

I'd also add in they need to figure out good map control spots, learn common spawns, and to try to stick together as often as they can. DMR everyone up, and use your ordnance and perks often as you can.

Definitely. That's why I asked about SWAT. If they like playing SWAT then chances are they are playing it differently(less sprint maybe) than they play the other gametypes.

To add another point. Stay alive! Easy to say but it's always better to be alive and able to place shots on people than it is to die. This is less of an issue with instant respawns, but at the same time people seem to chase a lot more in this game due to sprint. Don't chase. If someone runs your better off switching gears than you are to chase and maybe die. Take the chance to stay alive. If you're playing with others call his position out and maybe a teammate can get him. Even if he is picked up half the time, it's better than chasing and dying and trading deaths at best.

They actually aren't much different in SWAT, I think it's just that SWAT is a 'cheaper' gametype and it's easier to get some kills in even against better players.

I'll pass on those other tips, though. Thanks.

BTW, is the in-game or Waypoint K/D ratio the more accurate one?

They actually aren't much different in SWAT, I think it's just that SWAT is a 'cheaper' gametype and it's easier to get some kills in even against better players.

I'll pass on those other tips, though. Thanks.

BTW, is the in-game or Waypoint K/D ratio the more accurate one?

They used Armor Lock in Reach didn't they? :lol

I'd say Waypoint, the in game one seems to not stay up to date constantly.

LosDaddie

Banned
Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone wanted to play. I'm down for campaign or multiplayer. Only on mission 4 in the campaign.

JooseBox23 is the new tag, talk to someone soon hopefully haha

When do you usually game? Gamer-Dad here, and I usually starting gaming around 9-9:30pm EST. I'll join you. GT is the same as here.

Like someone else said, they need to be patient. And yes, practice will make them better, if for nothing else than knowing the maps. Also, a good team to play with can make all the difference

JB1981

Slayer Pro would be so much better with BR starts only, radar and static spawns. Kill times are definitely faster in Halo 4 but I have never played so good at Halo in my life. My K/D spread is the best it's even been. I'm actually positive by a few hundred kills! This is a first for me.

Also I played a little Reach Title Updated the other day and with the reduced bloom that game is pretty great. Don't see why people hate on it so much.

Insaniac

Spawning with plasma pistols and plasma grenades is seriously ruining my enjoyment in this game. In Halo 3 I loved using the warthog and prided myself on being a skilled driver, but now everyone and their grandma just spawns in, PPs you and then chucks a hail of plasma grenades. Not to mention every BTB map provides only cramped driving spaces.

I was hoping for the return of the Warthog in Halo 4 after Reach. 343 needs to address this :(

(Not to mention how EASY the warthog flips, sheesh)

Also the Wheelman tactical package is so MEH, completely not worth using given the other tactical packages you could be using

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Having the green visor as an unlock is possibly the greatest motivation in the world to get people to use the Ghost. Or the worst thing in the world. Not sure yet.

Spawning with plasma pistols and plasma grenades is seriously ruining my enjoyment in this game. In Halo 3 I loved using the warthog and prided myself on being a skilled driver, but now everyone and their grandma just spawns in, PPs you and then chucks a hail of plasma grenades. Not to mention every BTB map provides only cramped driving spaces.

I was hoping for the return of the Warthog in Halo 4 after Reach. 343 needs to address this :(

(Not to mention how EASY the warthog flips, sheesh)

Also the Wheelman tactical package is so MEH, completely not worth using given the other tactical packages you could be using

I wish I was on the team you have been facing. Every time I get a game on Ragnorok with randoms I seem to be the only one shooting or trying to focus on the vehicles.

tch

Having the green visor as an unlock is possibly the greatest motivation in the world to get people to use the Ghost. Or the worst thing in the world. Not sure yet.

The visor is sick. It was my first goal to unlock. So easy to get lots of splatters on longbow.

Top Bottom