• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

daedalius

My post count in the Halo threads has dropped dramatically. I've complained a bit and made plenty of snide remarks, but I've mostly kept my mouth shut. In the case of the line that you quoted, I was just responding to a conversation that was already going on without me.

And yes, in a very real sense, traditional Halo is dead. GrizzNKev pointed out many of the reasons I feel that way. I'm glad you like its replacement, but I sure don't.

I'd prefer traditional weapon spawns in non-infinity playlists.

And camo being a pickup again instead of an armor ability.

I am not terribly pleased that we can't recreate pit ctf with the current forge settings either.

My post count has gone down pretty dramatically as well; although there really doesn't seem to be anything to discuss other than wait/hope for fixes.

Didn't you say you were proud of being the worst Halo-related poster?

You got me.

GamerSoul

well actually my avatar is the yoink medal ;) killing a teammates assasination victim while they're performing it.

you can still do that in 4 but the medal / announcement is gone. that sucks

Ahh, I had a feeling it could have been the yoink. They're kinda similar situations. Sux they took it out.

Just played my first ever multiplayer match of Halo 4. I still got it.
FXSpv.jpg

Yeah I really wish MS would have fronted for the dedicated servers. Especially after seeing the success of it in GoW 3. I have seen way to many black screens today.

GrizzNKev

Banned
So I just joined a game of flood, and it spawned us half flood half spartan. The spartans spawned with DMRs and it played out like a game of flood vs. spartan slayer. Then it suddenly fixed itself and reset the game. Was kind of awesome.

matt360

So I just joined a game of flood, and it spawned us half flood half spartan. The spartans spawned with DMRs and it played out like a game of flood vs. spartan slayer. Then it suddenly fixed itself and reset the game. Was kind of awesome.

That happened to me once except I spawned with an Assault Rifle and it was FFA. Fixed itself in the 2nd round.

GamerSoul

That happened to me once except I spawned with an Assault Rifle and it was FFA. Fixed itself in the 2nd round.

lol wow this game can be a bit random. I thought I was the only one to notice a player or two running around with an AR in flood. IIRC, he was also labeled as an enemy spartan.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure that doesn't influence your opinion at all, right? If it's not all that great, why do you use it (and love it)?

Being able to sit somewhere on Ragnarok and pick people off while crouching in the middle of a field and never receive any return fire was fun for a match or two, as was camping in the bottom of the bases on CTF with the shotgun, but then I realized how utterly ridiculous all of it is. Why can I do this in a Halo game? Why am I allowed to repeatedly use this power? Why can I spawn with it?

So instead I use the Jet Pack, because while ridiculously overpowered, at least people shoot at me!

because I like it? I don't use it all the time, some matches I prefer the jetpack and very occasionally the regen. depends on the level, for solace running around in the middle with jetpack/dexterity/firepower gives you the badass feeling.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
How the game handles mission progress is really weird. I started a co-op game yesterday and we started on the first rally point of the first mission, but that point's not the very start of the mission, and it ended up not counting for co-op campaign progess.

Same thing on the final mission with a different partner: started on rally point alpha and it put us
somewhere in the middle of the SW-section
. We played through the entire mission, but it also didn't count towards completion for me.

So 'rally point alpha' isn't the exact mission start?

GrizzNKev

Banned
How the game handles mission progress is really weird. I started a co-op game yesterday and we started on the first rally point of the first mission, but that point's not the very start of the mission, and it ended up not counting for co-op campaign progess.

Same thing on the final mission with a different partner: started on rally point alpha and it put us
somewhere in the middle of the SW-section
. We played through the entire mission, but it also didn't count towards completion for me.

So 'rally point alpha' isn't the exact mission start?

No... it's a rally point. The first one.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
No... it's a rally point. The first one.

So, if you want to play the mission from the very start, what do you pick? You have to pick a rally point it seems. I remember the other games having a 'mission start' option, but here there's only the rally points.

edit : 'restart mission' ingame seems like the only way to do this

S1kkZ

so, spartan ops 4 is out.
great cg cutscene, as always. i like where the story seems to be going.

the first mission however, is fucking terrible.

This was discussed in the OT, but not here!

Zie Germans brought us some juicy details:

Crimson Map pack: December 10, 2012.
Majectic Map pack: February 28, 2013.
Castle Map pack: April 1, 2013.

Here are some pictures from the maps coming up:

- Crimson Map pack: Wreckage, Harvest, and Shatter.
- Majestic Map pack: Landfall, Monolith, and Skyline.
- Castle Map pack: Daybreak, Outcast, and Perdition.
Dec 10th nice, 2 weeks is good as i'm starting to feel the toll of the current maps now.

hwalker84

Dec 10th nice, 2 weeks is good as i'm starting to feel the toll of the current maps now.

I feel ya. Whatever happened to the Unreal and Quake days where the next game had all the maps from the previous one + new ones? With Halo 3 and Reach being in the same engine how hard is it to carry over the old ones?

Pooya

Halo 3 maps in 4 would just look as bad as Forge maps >_> not that it matters though, I'd take more free maps any day regardless of how they look.

Spartan Ops is 5 episodes ? next week it ends?

Kunohara

Were we supposed to have gotten codes if you played before the 20th to unlock all the specializations? I haven't received mine yet if that's the case.

def sim

So what do I get if I purchases the War Games pass on the marketplace?

This was discussed in the OT, but not here!

Zie Germans brought us some juicy details:

Crimson Map pack: December 10, 2012.
Majectic Map pack: February 28, 2013.
Castle Map pack: April 1, 2013.

Here are some pictures from the maps coming up:

- Crimson Map pack: Wreckage, Harvest, and Shatter.
- Majestic Map pack: Landfall, Monolith, and Skyline.
- Castle Map pack: Daybreak, Outcast, and Perdition.

Nine maps.

S1kkZ

episode 4 was good. mission 5 made good use of the map and felt almost like a campaign style mission (almost). story also seems better implementent into the missions this time.

aside from mission 5, they dont throw dozens of enemies at the player and try to come up with more compact combat situations (like you would find in the campaign).

its just a shame that they have to re-use the same setting over and over again. i know there is no other way with the tight schedule they have, but it still hurts the overall experience.

Woke up today, turned the game on all is good. finished up the weekly challenge befor the new one came up.

Spops episode 4 was ok, the story is nice though.

I wonder if they gonna use the dlc mappacks for SpOps.

Yeah, Episode 4 is alright. 3 is still the best.

But what the heck is with the spawning of the enemies! Every time I run to the new objective, as soon as I make it there they spawn 20 enemies around me? Why? I die every time and I can't imagine other people not as well.

I have to win 6.6 matches every night this week to get the monthly 117 wins challenge. Damn. And here I thought I would have time to clean my apartment.

Jinjo

At the end of the new Spartan Ops episode:
Was that a tease to a certain (female) Spartan II joining the fray? Or am I just over/misinterpreting here?

exYle

Halo 3 maps in 4 would just look as bad as Forge maps >_> not that it matters though, I'd take more free maps any day regardless of how they look.

Spartan Ops is 5 episodes ? next week it ends?

10. It's a little confusing because there's an achievement for doing all missions in the first 5 episodes.

raindoc

anyone done "Infinity" on solo legendary with mythic skull?
last battle - waiting for cortana to open the door with a couple of mg-turrets in front/fighting prometheans.
on plain legendary i just wasted everyone with the mg-turret on top of the ledge, but that doesn't work here and ammo is very rare. been down to only two knights left twice already, but then i also only have an AR left to deal with those...

last battle - waiting for cortana to open the door with a couple of mg-turrets in front/fighting prometheans.
on plain legendary i just wasted everyone with the mg-turret on top of the ledge, but that doesn't work here and ammo is very rare. been down to only two knights left twice already, but then i also only have an AR left to deal with those...

I'm stuck on Infinity Legendary solo with no skulls, at the cave with all the Knights and covies. All I have is a scattershot but no one will get close enough for me to use it. I think I may just have to give up :(

Ammo is a serious problem in this game on solo Legendary, especially when the Knights are bullet sponges.

TheOddOne

I'm stuck on Infinity Legendary solo with no skulls, at the cave with all the Knights and covies. All I have is a scattershot but no one will get close enough for me to use it. I think I may just have to give up :(

Ammo is a serious problem in this game on solo Legendary, especially when the Knights are bullet sponges.
I think there are a bunch of Railguns at the crates in that section, I think. Pick 'em up, go to back to the narrow section and pop 'em from a far.

Infinity Slayer on Abandon is just bad. Played it a couple times over the long weekend and just about every match turned into huge campfests behind corners. It's probably the only match I have seen come near the time limit because at one point people stopped moving around on the map. Just about every player in the match ends up using camo and boltshot and sits around corners waiting until someone comes walking by. It's just bad.

Which sucks because I really like the map for CTF and even Swat.

Also, Solace doesn't get chosen enough!

SeanR1221

Finished the campaign last night.

Ending was kind of "meh" but overall had fun.

Graphics still blow me away. Easily the best on any system this gen.

Are there Needlers? They will rip through PromKnights in a heartbeat.

I ran all the way back to several weapon caches from previous checkpoints that hadn't been completely ransacked. Took forever, but got the job done.

Top Bottom