• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Probably giving it out for free because no one is playing the MP...ho ho ho

But seriously. I guess this is karma on me for selling my specialization code on ebay. LOL

Actually they probably are. The population is down 75% from the first week. It peaks at ~100-120k daily and Blops2 #'s are much higher. If they don't get higher #'s and more people leave it will fall even further on the XBLive activity charts.

exYle

Actually they probably are. The population is down 75% from the first week. It peaks at ~100-120k daily and Blops2 #'s are much higher. If they don't get higher #'s and more people leave it will fall even further on the XBLive activity charts.

It's at #2 right now, though I guess that's a pretty lofty position to fall from.

Sec0nd

So to sum up.

For LE owners not only did they let everyone have "early" access to the other 6 specializations but gave the first map pack away for free.

Great.

No, we get all map packs for free!

Muahahaha!

I didn't pay 10 bucks more for nothing!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Have they said anything about throwing forge maps into the mix? Paltry number of maps combined with the map voting has made me lose interest in the MP much faster than any past COD/Halo game.

Oh and what's the counter to Promethean Vision? Am I playing the game wrong or is crouch walking basically rendered useless now? Feels like the other team knows where I am at all times and I'm no longer able to take advantage of the element of surprise unless its some super low level or really bad player.

Have they said anything about throwing forge maps into the mix? Paltry number of maps combined with the map voting has made me lose interest in the MP much faster than any past COD/Halo game.

Oh and what's the counter to Promethean Vision? Am I playing the game wrong or is crouch walking basically rendered useless now? Feels like the other team knows where I am at all times and I'm no longer able to take advantage of the element of surprise unless its some super low level or really bad player.

Stealth perk.

Seriously the only counter.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wow, so the map packs are still up for free? Now I really do want a refund, this is bullshit. :/

[edit]

Guess that's what I get for staying up late so buy a map pack.

One other question: Are Crimson maps integrated into matchmaking or just sectioned off into the Crimson playlist? I'm mostly into infinity & big team slayer - what are the chances I'll see these maps in those playlists?

They're integrated into matchmaking. We did Big Team Slayer and played Shatter. We also did Infinity Slayer and voted in Harvest. Their integration is seamless: as long as everyone in the match has the maps, they come up. It seems like typically you'll get at least one DLC map to vote on if everyone has them. Makes sense.

Enfinit

Just a head's up (I posted this over in the Halo |OT|), there's apparently a mod/hack/glitch/whatever that allows the player to remove all armor from your Spartan, therefore removing that player's Spartan's head. This allows for the hitbox on the head to also be removed and the player only being able to die from multiple body shots. Came across this is SWAT and it really pissed me off. Here's on of the fuck's profiles:

1zI9n

Ken

Just a head's up (I posted this over in the Halo |OT|), there's apparently a mod/hack/glitch/whatever that allows the player to remove all armor from your Spartan, therefore removing that player's Spartan's head. This allows for the hitbox on the head to also be removed and the player only being able to die from multiple body shots. Came across this is SWAT and it really pissed me off. Here's on of the fuck's profiles:

1zI9n

oh you

Satchel

Banned
Another headless spartan to watch for is Tstormy

Piece of shit has already had his gamerscore reset for cheating. Fuck doesn't learn obviously.

Were 2,3 and Reach hacked this quick?

LosDaddie

Banned
Yeah, the maps were free for my friend last night. I bought the LE, so I gave him the Specializations code MS emailed me, and yup, he was able to DL the maps for free last night (~9pm EST).

We didn't play on the DLC playlist last night, though. So maybe he's locked out of them. I dunno

Really digging the new maps, especially Wreckage. I get a very Burial-Moundsish feel from it. Maybe its just all of the sunlight. Harvest is also a ton of fun. Love the design, especially on the interior-outdoor section of the map. Dat solar flare.

Shatter is my least favorite of the three. Can't quite put my finger on why, it just has an awkward flow. I have yet to play flag on it yet though, so my opinion may change.

Sucks that some people had to jump through hoops to get the maps, hopefully 343 worked out all of the kinks.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wow, so the map packs are still up for free? Now I really do want a refund, this is bullshit. :/

[edit]

Guess that's what I get for staying up late so buy a map pack.

Wait the maps are free? Why the fuck did I buy this map pass for then? Ugh

Free for those who got the priority alpha specialization code. Which I believe is pretty much anyone who bought and played the game before Nov. 20 (also included in the LE)?

Stealth perk.

Seriously the only counter.

I'm assuming that's something you can't get until you hit level 50 and unlock one of the other specializations? Any visual indicators that someone is using PV to help me know when trying to be stealthy/flanking isn't really going to be a viable option? Outside of the feeling that they know where I am on the map at all times? haha

IHaveIce

Banned
Another headless spartan to watch for is Tstormy

Piece of shit has already had his gamerscore reset for cheating. Fuck doesn't learn obviously.

Were 2,3 and Reach hacked this quick?

Reach yes, but they were pretty fast to get the hackers out.

Halo 2, I don't remember how fast it was.

Halo 3, was longer than now Halo 4's time but also not soo long, remember a game on Valhalla with someone wh flew in the air, had a sniper as starting weapon and had an aimbot. Fun times

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ive seen speed bursts in slayer pro a few times. Not sure if its lag or cheating (or both) but one game a team mate pushed me at least twice the speed of sprint. Ive seen weird jittering while strafing which was also at an abnormal speed. Havent seen any weapon related shenanigans yet.

Havok

I'm assuming that's something you can't get until you hit level 50 and unlock one of the other specializations? Any visual indicators that someone is using PV to help me know when trying to be stealthy/flanking isn't really going to be a viable option? Outside of the feeling that they know where I am on the map at all times? haha
The Stealth perk comes from the Wetwork specialization, yeah, so you'll have to be at least 60 to use it (since perks are awarded upon completion of the spec). With Promethean Vision, you've got to listen for the sound it makes (kind of an echoey/ethereal low-pitched sonar-esque sound) and watch your radar - if the user is near, there'll be a pulse effect on the radar with him at the center. But the sound can be heard anywhere on the map when someone uses it, so just know that if you hear it then you may be compromised.

zlatko

Banned

1zI9n

So this is from modded console use only? Should be easy to ban hammer these fools quick then right?

Ive seen speed bursts in slayer pro a few times. Not sure if its lag or cheating (or both) but one game a team mate pushed me at least twice the speed of sprint. Ive seen weird jittering while strafing which was also at an abnormal speed. Havent seen any weapon related shenanigans yet.

I've had that happen to me as well, I just assumed it was lag/glitchiness.

This game needs to be 60fps. Its so annoying trying to aim when sometimes its running normal and sometimes its dipping. How do you know how much to push to aim when its so incosistent?

This seems to be happening a lot on Shatter for me. I don't mind if the game is 30fps, as long as it doesn't drop, but just a small drop in fps makes my aiming fucked up.

DesertFox

I agree for the most part - except that we seem flipped on two maps.

I really disliked Wreckage - mostly because I spawned on the side that forced me to walk into the sun flare that's placed on the horizon, so I had difficulty seeing the enemy clearly down pretty much any path I took (left, center, right). Not only that, but the flags on wreckage are placed on corridors that have sightlines spanning almost from one side of the map to the other. When the enemy team got ahead by a single point, all 5 played defense with DMRs, team shotting anyone who ventured into that corridor.

I'll need to play it more though, could have just been a couple botched matches I had on it...

Harvest, on the other hand, I had a blast with. The bases discourage camping, and the multiple paths make strategy effective. (As much strategy as you can have with randoms....) Also, it gets bonus points for the tram that runs through - a nice nod to Terminal.

Shatter I agree with you on, it feels really thrown together. One thing that really boggled my mind when playing extraction on it is the teleporters. On match start, multiple times... I would rush the teleporter to try and get the jump on my team's side base, only to find that the enemy team had made it there at the same time that I did, simply by sprinting through their cave. What good is the teleporter if it gets you there at the same time? I'm not asking for a huge advantage there, it's just that it's completely irrelevant to have it there.

One thing I think they need to do is nerf Camo. Its weakness is how it messes with the radar but these guys sniping and pinging with the DMR are basically supermen. The only thing I think they can do is give you some kind of warning sound or notification that you are being scoped by someone using Camo.

Second is these Jetpack fuckers. If you are going to have automatic weapons be powerful then you cant let these jet packers just hop down and you have no chance. Yeah if they are on the ground and shoot up 3 stories its still bullshit but at least I have a chance.

AA's so broken.

wwm0nkey

On the really good plus side we will run into DLC more often.

Still think all DLC should be Free 3 to 6 months after release and there is no excuse for it not going free after 1 or 2 years.

Louis Wu

What are you talking about? LE owners had a monopoly on all 8 specializations for the first month.
They had no such thing. Two Specializations were open to ALL users from Day 1 - the other 6 were exclusive to LE owners until roughly the last week in November (3+ weeks after release). Not a huge number of players actually made it to level 70 before that point.

exYle

They had no such thing. Two Specializations were open to ALL users from Day 1 - the other 6 were exclusive to LE owners until roughly the last week in November (3+ weeks after release). Not a huge number of players actually made it to level 70 before that point.

Sorry, what I meant by 'all 8' is that LE owners were the only ones to have the option to choose from the complete list of specializations. Technically, others people started getting their codes in late November but that was a disaster, and between people not getting their codes and others stuck one of the first two specializations, it's not unreasonable to say that the 6 locked specializations remained locked from the majority of the playerbase until early December.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
But a few (still small amount) made it to 50 first and could choose something other than the first two specializations.

Not defending the fact that LE owners were shat on though.

Yeah, 343 really liked screwing over the LE purchasers by giving away the specializations, etc. I know that wasn't their intent, but I really can't figure out what they thought when when they did it, or how they thought it was fair as that was a selling point for the LE. Now that the first map pack has been free for nearly everyone who got the specializations..well... yeah, I hope they compensate. I feel like I was ripped off big time, accident or not.

Given, I still feel for 343. This must really, really suck.

I <3 Construct, I need to give that a try.

Yeah, 343 really liked screwing over the LE purchasers by giving away the specializations, etc. I know that wasn't their intent, but I really can't figure out what they thought when when they did it, or how they thought it was fair as that was a selling point for the LE. Now that the first map pack has been free for nearly everyone who got the specializations..well... yeah, I hope they compensate. I feel like I was ripped off big time, accident or not.

Given, I still feel for 343. This must really, really suck.

I <3 Construct, I need to give that a try.

Not really sure about my overall feelings right now about the maps being free. I can't help but feel a little bit ripped off, though.

As for that Construct remake, I've found a lot of really awesome Forged maps in the Forgotten Treasures thread: http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-...47-forgotten-treasures-iii-submissions-2.html

This Turf remake is the best I've seen: http://www.forgehub.com/forum/halo-4-forge-discussion/142699-turf.html#post1563891

Really impressive stuff. Does anyone know how to get that modded gametype with the classic settings? I'd love to try some of these maps with those settings.

This first dlc i have to say is not too impressive. I feel like it was one map, but made by 3 different people. They all kinda feel the same and lack a little in identity. Nothing really sets them apart from each other, other than maybe the colors and all kinda play the same. So far, not impressed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This first dlc i have to say is not too impressive. I feel like it was one map, but made by 3 different people. They all kinda feel the same and lack a little in identity. Nothing really sets them apart from each other, other than maybe the colors and all kinda play the same. So far, not impressed.
I wouldn't go that far, but recurring UNSC base aesthetic elements definitely don't make them stand out very much.

I've been having fun on them so far, but haven't had enough games to analyze how good the map flow is yet. Wreckage (I think? lol) seems to be the worst of the bunch. Unintuitive design and it's just ugly. It's missing distinct identifiers for locations.

I wouldn't go that far, but recurring UNSC base aesthetic elements definitely don't make them stand out very much.

I've been having fun on them so far, but haven't had enough games to analyze how good the map flow is yet. Wreckage (I think? lol) seems to be the worst of the bunch. Unintuitive design and it's just ugly. It's missing distinct identifiers for locations.

Honestly, they all do the same thing for me. They all seems like BTB maps and as much as i love BTB, I was hoping for a little more diversity. Plus, this game is in serious need of small maps and none of those in my book are small maps.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly, they all do the same thing for me. They all seems like BTB maps and as much as i love BTB, I was hoping for a little more diversity. Plus, this game is in serious need of small maps and none of those in my book are small maps.
I hear you, I pretty much exclusively play small maps and play the majority of my Halo local multiplayer too. I don't expect maps to come out and cater to a 4 player setting, but it's weird that they wouldn't focus on 4v4/8 player maps first since the majority of the playlists support that player count and that's IMO where Halo has always shined most.

I hear you, I pretty much exclusively play small maps and play the majority of my Halo local multiplayer too. I don't expect maps to come out and cater to a 4 player setting, but it's weird that they wouldn't focus on 4v4/8 player maps first since the majority of the playlists support that player count and that's IMO where Halo has always shined most.

Ya, Reach had too many big maps and now they're doing the same mistake Bungie did with Reach. Too many big maps, not enough 4v4 ones. Even for customs, if i was with 2 friends, we could hardly play in Reach customs cause all the maps were too big. Well, now 4 has the same problem. I hate having too much of one thing, even if it is what i play the most.

What big maps are you talking about? Invasion and the Forge World BTB ones, sure, but the others are either mid size (Boardwalk) or small.

Most were too big for regular 3 to 4 player free for all slayer matches. You spent the whole time just looking for someone to shoot.

To me, the best small maps have to be small enough so that you dont spend 2 minutes running around looking for someone to shoot if youre playing a 3 or 4 player game of free for all. Reach had very few of those which is why Reach sucked in custom games for me.

Havok

Most were too big for regular 3 to 4 player free for all slayer matches. You spent the whole time just looking for someone to shoot.

To me, the best small maps have to be small enough so that you dont spend 2 minutes running around looking for someone to shoot if youre playing a 3 or 4 player of free for all. Reach had very few of those which is why Reach sucked in custom games for me.
They're never going to cater to 3-4 player FFA again, and never really did. It's not in matchmaking, it hasn't been for a long time. Six is the new minimum player count for almost everything but Doubles, and even that's going to be featured primarily on Forge maps this time around.

They're never going to cater to 3-4 player FFA again, and never really did. It's not in matchmaking, it hasn't been for a long time. Six is the new minimum player count for almost everything but Doubles, and even that's going to be featured primarily on Forge maps this time around.

Halo 3 had tons:

Assembly
Blackout
Citadel
Cold Storage
Foundry
Guardian
Heretic
Narrows
Snowbound
The Pitt

All of those worked great in 3-4 FFA player matches. In Reach most of them were too big and ironically, thats when the player count went down. Now 4 has a lot of big ones and player count is going down. Hmmmm, i wonder.....

Top Bottom