• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ammo perk, Tashi!

Oh right. I'll have to see which mod I had for that loaout. I don't actually remember lol

edit: Yea that's what I've been doing Gr1m. Lately I've been just sticking picking a not so great loadout and sticking with it. I mean, I could go DMR, Boltshot, Camo and probably never die but I like a little artificial challenge lol.

Tawpgun

Boltshot still charges way too fast sometimes, but I made a FuckBoltshot loadout. Main thing in it is a Hard Light Shield. It will block the shot, and if they're close enough, make them commit suicide.

Tashi

Boltshot still charges way too fast sometimes, but I made a FuckBoltshot loadout. Main thing in it is a Hard Light Shield. It will block the shot, and if they're close enough, make them commit suicide.

I've found Hardlight Shield and Thruster to be good counters to Boltshot. Haven't got someone to commit suicide with one but damn if that happened, I would seriously teabag them all day lol

Im willing to wager that you never really played much Halo in the past? Or perhaps didn't really take it very seriously in the past?

Not that thats a bad thing, its just I find that people who where not really into Halo before find it easier to tolerate a lot of the games 'faults' - whereas some of the guys that loved Halo before find it too much of a departure from the gameplay they once enjoyed. Of course there are tons of people who loved Halo and love Halo 4 - but im just curious what your background is with the series?
I adore the Halo franchise but primarily for it's single player component. I didn't play Halo 3 that much, I played Reach a ton and now I'm enjoying Halo 4. I can say that I didn't take it seriously, but then again, I don't take any game that seriously (especially it's MP part).
And I agree that it's probably easier for a guy like me to enjoy Halo 4 then someone who's heavily invested in Halo's MP from Halo 2 onward.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty much all of my load outs use Fast Track and Stability, I don't see that changing any time soon. Maybe once I hit SR130.

They were pretty damn diverse before I got those two though.

Tashi

Pretty much all of my load outs use Fast Track and Stability, I don't see that changing any time soon. Maybe once I hit SR130.

They were pretty damn diverse before I got those two though.

I'm about to unlock stability. 1 level away. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I really dont care for the boltshot. Then again outside of trolling i was never big into gimmicky loadouts. It could use a nerf to its range but i wouldnt be outraged if it didnt get one. Also playing with the light rifle on big maps is pretty fun if you just give no fucks. Nothing like making the whole enemy team switch to LR's just because they get so pissed off that they wanna show you how its really done.

Folks, I've been reading this thread and am somewhat sad to see so many of you not happy with Halo 4. :/
I'm loving it. I'm going for 100% completion. I'm fully enjoying War Games (playing with my friends exclusively w/ voice chat), Spartan Ops on Legendary, Legendary Campaign Solo & Co-Op, etc.
I'm not anything special at it. I think I'm decent (K/D around 1) but what matters is that I enjoy playing it. I'm not bothered by many things that I read here (certain op weapons, playlist issues, ...)
Dunno, I just wanted to write this. I fully respect the opinions of all you who don't like the game. I hope the game gets better for you and/or you find something better to play.
I totally agree. I absolutely LOVE this game! I'm actually having just as much fun IF NOT MORE than HALO 3 multiplayer which I didn't think would ever be possible after playing the awful Reach. Well done 343. Well done! I'm seriously not understanding the complaints. The gameplay and gunplay is Perfect and the visuals are pure sex. no joke while I play once in a while I just stop and look around. the gameplay is perfect but I just wanna say that graphics matter too dammit. It helps with the immersion and fun factor to me. Reach was just nasty to look at and the gameplay and map design features pushed me away. Keep it up 343.

I mean what did people want? halo 3.1? If 343 released a game like that I guarantee you people would be bitching about how it's the same ole halo and that the MP is getting stale.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I totally agree. I absolutely LOVE this game! I'm actually having just as much fun IF NOT MORE than HALO 3 multiplayer which I didn't think would ever be possible after playing the awful Reach. Well done 343. Well done! I'm seriously not understanding the complaints. The gameplay and gunplay is Perfect and the visuals are pure sex. no joke while I play once in a while I just stop and look around. the gameplay is perfect but I just wanna say that graphics matter too dammit. It helps with the immersion and fun factor to me. Reach was just nasty to look at and the gameplay and map design features pushed me away. Keep it up 343.

I mean what did people want? halo 3.1? If 343 released a game like that I guarantee you people would be bitching about how it's the same ole halo and that the MP is getting stale.
Halo 4 is very popular, getting a lot of positive attention and all around an incredible game. There's a lot of people on this forum that will pick a part these games, nitpick and complain about the smallest of things. Or, one could just simply sum that up with the "thisisneogaf.gif" picture but being new, you may not get that reference. :p

I really liked Halo in the past but was never a fan. Halo 4 changed that.

Do people have issues with the single player, or the multiplayer mainly?

I can see some dissatisfaction with the SP as the COD elements don't add anything and only serve to take away control. Don't think they really fit. The story was okay, but I definitely have to agree with people in the spoiler thread about how it was a bit disjointed and somewhat confusing at times since they glossed over important elements (which I suppose are expanded upon in the novels, etc.), so it was kind of hard to follow as just someone playing through the games. The actual gameplay of the campaign was fairly solid, though I do have to agree with the opinion that it didn't really hit any of the highs of previous Halo games, even if it didn't hit the lows either (e.g. Library, Cortana)

As for the multiplayer - I definitely like it better than Reach. Was not a fan of bloom and invulnerable until shields popped. Ordnance drops are a fun new addition and the progression system is on par, if not better than that of Reach. The maps are adequate, though none really stand out to me as great. My main gripes would be the removal of Invasion (one of my favorite game modes ever since I played it in the Reach beta), though there are those one or two new modes that sort of replace it, and the lack of variety in playlists (do they change at all?) The other thing would be the pruning of the vehicle sandbox. Really would have liked to see some Promethean vehicles (saving them for Halo 5 amirite?)

Hologram user reporting in; does wonders against the Boltshot.

This is exactly why I switched back to it. I used hardlight shield predominantly but now it's all about the Hologram.

I just need to finish Wetwork so these bastards can't keep using promethean vision + boltshot. Ugh.

Overdoziz

Banned
Halo 4 is very popular, getting a lot of positive attention and all around an incredible game. There's a lot of people on this forum that will pick a part these games, nitpick and complain about the smallest of things. Or, one could just simply sum that up with the "thisisneogaf.gif" picture but being new, you may not get that reference. :p

I really liked Halo in the past but was never a fan. Halo 4 changed that.
Good job dismissing a bunch of legitimate complaints.

Tawpgun

I just hate how Halo has introduced all these Rock Papers Scissors elements. It's like part of the game is decided in the menu's. I've always loved Halo because it started everyone on equal ground. Reach challenged this notion and Halo 4 completely took it away.

I also like matches and maps to have a certain flow with them. But with global ordnance all the power weapon drops are completely random and it just feels so messy and not as fun. Add in personal ordnance and you have people just shitting sniper rifles and rockets. This is randomized also so who knows what you or someone else will get. It also turns every game into something of a fiesta heavies.

Generally speaking, these are my biggest complaints. The Halo I know and love is changing for the worst. Not into a worse game necessarily, just a game I don't like.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Good job dismissing a bunch of legitimate complaints.
I really didn't mean those who have, what they feel, are legit complaints - and let's face it, what is legit? It's still usually an opinion (but not always, i.e. things like lag universally affecting the game, etc) - but still like the game. More or less the "haters". You know as well as I do how people here can blow things out of proportion when it comes to 'hating' on a game.

BTW, if I had a complaint about the game it would be the story may be too vague for those who aren't willing to invest their time in the lore (books, Halopedia). On top of that, the Terminal videos should have been included on disc. One thing I do hate about modern gaming is how so much essential content seems to be stored on a "cloud" somewhere. I still consider myself a new fan to the series, but I love the lore of the universe so I do follow it up via the Halo Encyclopedia and Halopedia Wiki but I understand that's not everyone's desire. It should have been more coherent for the public.

Tawpgun

I really didn't mean those who have, what they feel, are legit complaints - and let's face it, what is legit? It's still usually an opinion (but not always, i.e. things like lag universally affecting the game, etc) - but still like the game. More or less the "haters". You know as well as I do how people here can blow things out of proportion when it comes to 'hating' on a game.

BTW, if I had a complaint about the game it would be the story may be too vague for those who aren't willing to invest their time in the lore (books, Halopedia). On top of that, the Terminal videos should have been included on disc. One thing I do hate about modern gaming is how so much essential content seems to be stored on a "cloud" somewhere. I still consider myself a new fan to the series, but I love the lore of the universe so I do follow it up via the Halo Encyclopedia and Halopedia Wiki but I understand that's not everyone's desire. It should have been more coherent for the public.

There is no way of defending things like the red X's not being there and global ordnance.

No. Way.

And why does it take so many shots to down a watcher? Whenever those fucks show up I'm busy dealing with 5-10 other enemies. I don't have the time or ammo to empty a full clip into them before I get torn to shreds by the other enemies. It should take 3 to 4 shots max to kill them but instead every battle turns into a prolonged game of hide and seek that is just not any fun.

And why does it take so many shots to down a watcher? Whenever those fucks show up I'm busy dealing with 5-10 other enemies. I don't have the time or ammo to empty a full clip into them before I get torn to shreds by the other enemies. It should take 3 to 4 shots max to kill them but instead every battle turns into a prolonged game of hide and seek that is just not any fun.
Aim between the disks - you can drop them in a few hits.

Or, shoot them enough to get them to bugger off and use that opportunity to refocus on the other enemies.

Yeah, I definitely found this to be annoying. You take a couple shots at most and then they'll duck and fly away, closing their wings to become a smaller target in the process.

Aim between the disks - you can drop them in a few hits.

Or, shoot them enough to get them to bugger off and use that opportunity to refocus on the other enemies.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try to tighten up my hit box. However, I've found you need to eliminate the watchers first or you're screwed. If you don't kill them they just resurrect the knights and shield the minor enemies. It's really frustrating, this is the first Halo game where I've run out of ammo during battles on a consistent basis.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to tighten up my hit box. However, I've found you need to eliminate the watchers first or you're screwed.
This is usually true, but if the watcher has an easy exit to run behind cover it can be frustrating. Taking advantage of that time to move in and get the kill on knights or watchers is one of the few timing-based-tactics I like in Halo 4. Reminds me of playing Gears on insane and rushing forward for the close range kill when the enemy reloads.

My first playthrough I was running out of ammo too. There are actually a decent amount of promethean weapon caches most of the time (though they are easy to miss), but sometimes you'll have to grab a suppressor or light rifle from downed enemies. One of the things I love about Halo is that against shielded enemies you have to be well and truly ready to fully commit, or the enemy will just replenish their shields and you'll be down a clip, and waiting or trying to force a new opportunity.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to tighten up my hit box. However, I've found you need to eliminate the watchers first or you're screwed. If you don't kill them they just resurrect the knights and shield the minor enemies. It's really frustrating, this is the first Halo game where I've run out of ammo during battles on a consistent basis.

The ammo gets much more plentiful after mission 3 or 4 if you're playing Legendary.

Got this for Christmas, played through the first level and a half and so far I've been extremely unimpressed.

I'll see how this continues to hold true as I play through the game, but so far it's felt like the game is trying to become CoD: Halo, from grenade indicators to cinematic scripted set pieces, to perks.

Uzny

Quick question guys (probably already answered). Does the extra boost of health for vehicles work when you are a gunner in a worthog?

this game is such a piece of shit

sounds don't play half the time

fucking game mechanics don't work half the time

I just played a game where no one using camo was showing up on radar

it's just shit

this game is such a piece of shit

sounds don't play half the time

fucking game mechanics don't work half the time

I just played a game where no one using camo was showing up on radar

it's just shit

Is that a bug or mechanic? Im pretty sure I read that if you crouch you dont show up on Radar.

I hope its a bug.

Louis Wu

They should bring it back properly. Traditional weapon spawning, uniform starting loadout. First team to 50.
Yeah, so I've always wondered how come the win total on Slayer matches was bumped up to 60 (from a relatively standard 50).

It occurred to me the other night that for a 4v4 game, all four players can get Perfections if the winning score is 60 kills (whereas before only 3 of the 4 could, in ideal circumstances).

Squad Slayer in Reach was the only gametype that allowed that before (5 player, winning score of 75).

Hmm...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Is that a bug or mechanic? Im pretty sure I read that if you crouch you dont show up on Radar.

I hope its a bug.

i cant speak about that, but i played against a camo user the other day that always showed up as a single blue, or sometimes red, dot when using camo. it was pretty awesome to pinpoint him instantly everytime. i'm sure he was pissed, lol

Yeah, so I've always wondered how come the win total on Slayer matches was bumped up to 60 (from a relatively standard 50).

It occurred to me the other night that for a 4v4 game, all four players can get Perfections if the winning score is 60 kills (whereas before only 3 of the 4 could, in ideal circumstances).

Squad Slayer in Reach was the only gametype that allowed that before (5 player, winning score of 75).

Hmm...

I think I read somewhere that they increased the win total because of the faster pace of the games, first to 60 takes the same amount of time as first to 50 did in older games. (I cant provide a source as I cant remember where I read this - its worth taking with a pinch of salt as for all I know it could have been speculation I was reading rather than a developers quote.)

It is really cool that everyone on a team can get a perfection now, I wonder if that has happened yet - I imagine since release that someone has pulled it off.

Overdoziz

Banned

Hmm...
We got so close to a perfect game with 5 perfections once. I think 2 or 3 people already had a perfection and just hid in a corner somewhere on Powerhouse while the others were busy getting their kills when Juices choked and died with only about 10 kills to go.

Sigh... At least we still have this match.

We got so close to a perfect game with 5 perfections once. I think 2 or 3 people already had a perfection and just hid in a corner somewhere on Powerhouse while the others were busy getting their kills when Juices choked and died with only about 10 kills to go.

Sigh... At least we still have this match.

Oh man bloom still haunts me even when its just when watching a video.

I remember at one of the Halo 4 pre-release events a bunch of people I was with almost got a perfect game, a few of them got perfections - but the score was totally 0 for the other team until the last 30 seconds of the match. That would have been an awesome video to have pre-release. The moans of disappointment when the first dude died where crazy.

Top Bottom