• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Carbine is accurate as hell as it is...people's aim just goes wacky because of how much they're pulling the trigger and how many shots they have to hit to get a kill since the enemy can move around a lot more in that timeframe

It feels like it loses something at range.

Storm Rifle is pretty good right now. I've gotten a decent amount of kills with it.

I will confess my time with the storm rifle has been limited. There should be distinct reason to pick the suppressor over the AR though, aside from a cosmetic one.

Both the storm rifle and the suppressor have their own niches - the suppressor will always win out over the AR in ultra close range and the storm rifle + the jetpack is godly on CQC maps like abandon.

The carbine certainly needs a bump and the DMR a nerf, though.

Well my real point is that with a bunch of good weapons the game would just be more interesting. I do get that its easier said than done but aside from a couple of things nothing in this game feels too good or totally useless.

CyReN

u4iX is about to commentate the VirginGaming NHL Tourney in Vegas. Show your support.

Alison from 343 is also there.

BCuDrFuCYAAqR6h.jpg

That could work it you were playing on dedicated servers, it only took a couple of shots to kill someone, and the game was called Battlefield.

Latency.
Yeah it sucks with latency, but in an ideal world I think that's how I'd balance the DMR.
In reality, I'd just remove it.

This is a bit LTTP, but why the hell did they remove the Forge playlist? Those were my favorite maps, it was all I played while they were available. I love the purity of those map designs, really makes for fun battles.

I mean what is the point of Forge when I've only been able to play Forge maps about 2 weeks out of the 3+ months the game has been available? Unless I'm missing something...

This is a bit LTTP, but why the hell did they remove the Forge playlist? Those were my favorite maps, it was all I played while they were available. I love the purity of those map designs, really makes for fun battles.

I mean what is the point of Forge when I've only been able to play Forge maps about 2 weeks out of the 3+ months the game has been available? Unless I'm missing something...

There is no good reasoning. I dont get it either. As if people are tuning in for the weekly playlists? Is anyone actually doing that?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, I went to play Halo 4 to finish up the campaign after not playing it for a few weeks.

I put in Disc 1, and the console says it doesn't recognize it. I cleaned the disc, looked at it and it is entirely scratch-free. Still not recognized. The disc literally went from the shrinkwrapped box into my console, was played for a few days, and went back into it's box where it has been until now.

All my other discs are read fine. What is going on here? I did a google search, and several people seem to have had this problem right at launch. The thing is, my disc worked fine at launch, but now it will not be recognized.

So, yeah. Is this a common problem with Halo 4 discs? I've never had this happen with any other game, and I've had three different 360s and dozens of games since launch.

My current 360 is a slim I bought about two years ago. No other problems with the console.

So, I went to play Halo 4 to finish up the campaign after not playing it for a few weeks.

I put in Disc 1, and the console says it doesn't recognize it. I cleaned the disc, looked at it and it is entirely scratch-free. Still not recognized. The disc literally went from the shrinkwrapped box into my console, was played for a few days, and went back into it's box where it has been until now.

All my other discs are read fine. What is going on here? I did a google search, and several people seem to have had this problem right at launch. The thing is, my disc worked fine at launch, but now it will not be recognized.

So, yeah. Is this a common problem with Halo 4 discs? I've never had this happen with any other game, and I've had three different 360s and dozens of games since launch.

My current 360 is a slim I bought about two years ago. No other problems with the console.
have you tried cleaning the HDD cache? I had the problem on launch that Disc 2 wasn't recognized. Cleaning the HDD cache fixed it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
have you tried cleaning the HDD cache? I had the problem on launch that Disc 2 wasn't recognized. Cleaning the HDD cache fixed it.

Yeah, I tried that last night. Still not recognized. So weird... I hope my drive isn't dying, but I tried about 5 other games and they worked fine.

D23

finished the campaign in one sitting last night, and i never plan to do that but damn the single player was so frekaing immersive, i couldnt put it down. The story is a bit messy and i dont really care that much, but everything else is amazing.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The Boltshot 'nerf' is not the way to go, in my opinion. The secondary function for the Boltshot shouldn't even exist, and luckily, it has no cannon/fiction tied to it so if it was just removed, no one would know and it wouldn't affect the fiction.

Reducing its range isn't going to do anything. Even if the range was 1, it won't help. The simple fact that people can spawn with pocket Shotguns at all times is the ridiculous part of it.

Please, 343, tell whichever designer who came up with the secondary function for the Boltshot to suck up his ego and kill this absurd function for good. Please.

The Boltshot 'nerf' is not the way to go, in my opinion. The secondary function for the Boltshot shouldn't even exist, and luckily, it has no cannon/fiction tied to it so if it was just removed, no one would know and it wouldn't affect the fiction.

Reducing its range isn't going to do anything. Even if the range was 1, it won't help. The simple fact that people can spawn with pocket Shotguns at all times is the ridiculous part of it.

Please, 343, tell whichever designer who came up with the secondary function for the Boltshot to suck up his ego and kill this absurd function for good. Please.
It wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't a loadout weapon

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Where's the new playlist already. I havent played in like two weeks and really dont wanna give up on yet another halo six months into its release.

Booties

Banned

Yeah, the canon, that's what matters.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Yeah, the canon, that's what matters.

I only said that because one of the excuses could be that if they talked about the Boltshot's secondary function in the campaign/fiction, it wouldn't allow them to remove it.

Obviously that's not the case so that excuse can't be used. They could get rid of it and it would be like it never existed in the first place.

Been playing customs today with matchmaking not working.

Came up with a super spartans custom, it's an elimination slayer game type.

Full speed, 300% jump and 75% gravity, endless clip and everyone gets thrusters and unlimited AA. it's been a ton of fun.

Made a wide open arena with high ceilings and a middle structure to run and fly around.

Everyone starts with a gravity hammer and each loadout has one of 5 secondary weapons, there are no weapon spawns or ordinance.

To help with visibility everyone also glows with overshield appearance, but there is no OS for the player. It's been a ton of fun, flying around with the super sped thrusters, bouncing off of walls and firing endless needles, beam rifles and incinerator cannons.

minolta1034

Neo Member
Been playing customs today with matchmaking not working.

Came up with a super spartans custom, it's an elimination slayer game type.

Full speed, 300% jump and 75% gravity, endless clip and everyone gets thrusters and unlimited AA. it's been a ton of fun.

Made a wide open arena with high ceilings and a middle structure to run and fly around.

Everyone starts with a gravity hammer and each loadout has one of 5 secondary weapons, there are no weapon spawns or ordinance.

To help with visibility everyone also glows with overshield appearance, but there is no OS for the player. It's been a ton of fun, flying around with the super sped thrusters, bouncing off of walls and firing endless needles, beam rifles and incinerator cannons.

I love gametypes like this with a bunch of people. So fun.

Friend and I are about to finish episode 5 of Spartan ops (we're doing a Legendary playthrough). As much as I love the concept of story-based episodic content, ep 1-5 has been awful in terms of gameplay and game design in general. Nothing but waves and waves .... and waves of enemies.
and who said Firefight was removed from Halo 4? lol
I like the cutscenes intros and I somewhat like the story (so far) but actual chapters are crap. WTF 343i? David Ellis, I'm looking at you.

I hope 6-10 are better. *sigh*

Omni

Friend and I are about to finish episode 5 of Spartan ops (we're doing a Legendary playthrough). As much as I love the concept of story-based episodic content, ep 1-5 has been awful in terms of gameplay and game design in general. Nothing but waves and waves .... and waves of enemies.
and who said Firefight was removed from Halo 4? lol
I like the cutscenes intros and I somewhat like the story (so far) but actual chapters are crap. WTF 343i? David Ellis, I'm looking at you.

I hope 6-10 are better. *sigh*

This your first time playing through? 6-10 is a big, big improvement (still has problems, mind you. But you could see the improvements)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm seeing that Halo 4 is going for $35 on Newegg right now with free shipping. How is this game holding up? I don't know much about the game other than it's more Halo.

wwm0nkey

So I'm seeing that Halo 4 is going for $35 on Newegg right now with free shipping. How is this game holding up? I don't know much about the game other than it's more Halo.

only around 50k+ people on at a time. Population kind of nose dived. They are making good changes though with team throwback and there seems to be a sandbox TU coming soon that we will find out about in a few weeks.

Its worth $35.

Matchmaking servers were having problems last night so my buddy and I popped in our copy of Reach.

Oh man, I forgot how amazing this game was. Armor lock, how I've missed you. Safely witnessing a clusterfuck of fire and explosions from a front row seat, teaching fools not to get too close with your EMP... what a blast (no pun intended).

That's just one element though. There are a lot of differences between 4 and Reach, and I love them both equally. But yeah, playing Reach after months away from it was orgasmic.

Reach has better maps though... at least until 4 re-introduces the Forge playlist.

I don't know what "old thread" you are referring to... but yeah, Reach is awesome and so is Halo 4. One fan enjoying both games, how's that for a concept!

Posted this in the HaloGAF community thread, but since the game is 4 months old today, and the following still holds true, (although Jessica Shea did state they would work on making some of this content available in other ways eventually) I brought it here as well:

There are 67 disc-locked content items in Halo 4 (7 armor sets with 6 pieces each, 9 emblems with 9 complimentary backgrounds, 4 helmets, and 3 weapons) that must be unlocked with a combination of 14 retailer-exclusive marketplace codes, 2 SKU-specific marketplace codes, and the War Games Map Pass.

What the fuck, Microsoft? Was Gears of War 3 this bad?

The sad part is that I have all of them unlocked, but I still think it was a bunch of shit for them to do this to Halo. They had more disc-locked content items in Halo 4 than all of the previous Halo games combined, multiplied by 11 (there were six—the flaming Warthog and Honor Guard Wraith in Halo Wars, Sergeant Johnson in ODST, and the Recon Helmet variant, Elite Officer Armor, and Legendary Armor Effect in Reach).

exYle

Posted this in the HaloGAF community thread, but since the game is 4 months old today, and the following still holds true, (although Jessica Shea did state they would work on making some of this content available in other ways eventually) I brought it here as well:

There are 67 disc-locked content items in Halo 4 (7 armor sets with 6 pieces each, 9 emblems with 9 complimentary backgrounds, 4 helmets, and 3 weapons) that must be unlocked with a combination of 14 retailer-exclusive marketplace codes, 2 SKU-specific marketplace codes, and the War Games Map Pass.

What the fuck, Microsoft? Was Gears of War 3 this bad?

The sad part is that I have all of them unlocked, but I still think it was a bunch of shit for them to do this to Halo. They had more disc-locked content items in Halo 4 than all of the previous Halo games combined, multiplied by 11 (there were six—the flaming Warthog and Honor Guard Wraith in Halo Wars, Sergeant Johnson in ODST, and the Recon Helmet variant, Elite Officer Armor, and Legendary Armor Effect in Reach).

Not everyone has access to all of the purely cosmetic, non-gameplay-functional items oh noooooooooo

Tawpgun

I got it.

Lets make people pay for them.

Armors suck in Halo 4 either. Don't know what they were thinking with the vast majority of the armory.

Not everyone has access to all of the purely cosmetic, non-gameplay-functional items oh noooooooooo
Bungie never tied an emblem to a fucking exclusive retailer preorder. It's shit, and your sarcasm is only serving to fucking start enmity between you and I a.k.a. you're being a dick.

exYle

Bungie never tied an emblem to a fucking exclusive retailer preorder. It's shit, and your sarcasm is only serving to fucking start enmity between you and I a.k.a. you're being a dick.

The era of retailer exclusive goodies is only going to continue ramping up and up. As you're well aware, two years in the gaming industry is an eternity rife with changes and escalations, big and small. In Reach, preorders at GameStop got an exclusive couple of armor pieces and the super special limited edition got an exclusive flaming head. The practice of making cosmetic items difficult/impossible to obtain for certain purchasers in Halo games is not a new practice - it has simply escalated with H4 (and reasonably so - Gamestop's chokehold on the gaming retail industry has weakened tenfold in the past couple of years, so it was wise of 343 to offer multiple exclusive offers for multiple retailers)

In your original post, you criticize 343 while simultaneously praising Bungie (or rather, you view Bungie more favorably). But, if I'm correct in assuming that you're interested in Destiny, I think you should be made aware, if you're not already, that Bungie is making exclusive content for the PS4 - which is locking away content from 3/4ths of their potential player base. If Bungie were still attached to the Halo franchise, it would not be unreasonable to assume that a Halo 4 made by them would have an equally large amount of locked-out content as the Halo 4 made by 343.

If you're having a bad day, then I apologize for aggravating your further. But if you find yourself easily incensed by sarcasm, then the internet will not be a comfortable place to discuss things.

GhaleonEB

The era of retailer exclusive goodies is only going to continue ramping up and up. As you're well aware, two years in the gaming industry is an eternity rife with changes and escalations, big and small. In Reach, preorders at GameStop got an exclusive couple of armor pieces and the super special limited edition got an exclusive flaming head. The practice of making cosmetic items difficult/impossible to obtain for certain purchasers in Halo games is not a new practice - it has simply escalated with H4 (and reasonably so - Gamestop's chokehold on the gaming retail industry has weakened tenfold in the past couple of years, so it was wise of 343 to offer multiple exclusive offers for multiple retailers)

In your original post, you criticize 343 while simultaneously praising Bungie (or rather, you view Bungie more favorably). But, if I'm correct in assuming that you're interested in Destiny, I think you should be made aware, if you're not already, that Bungie is making exclusive content for the PS4 - which is locking away content from 3/4ths of their potential player base. If Bungie were still attached to the Halo franchise, it would not be unreasonable to assume that a Halo 4 made by them would have an equally large amount of locked-out content as the Halo 4 made by 343.

If you're having a bad day, then I apologize for aggravating your further. But if you find yourself easily incensed by sarcasm, then the internet will not be a comfortable place to discuss things.
This will certainly be an interesting topic to revisit once both Destiny and Halo 5 are out.

Tawpgun

It's gonna be scarier in Destiny due to spanning 2 gens as well as being a heavily customizable game.

Could we see certain retailers/platforms get exclusive guns? Maybe...

Bungie never tied an emblem to a fucking exclusive retailer preorder.

Let me re-word that for you. Microsoft didn't tell Bungie to tie specific content to exclusive retailers. Bungie or 343 have little say-so in the large scheme of Halo marketing. Sure, they make the lore, the armor, the story, and the content in the trailers (sometimes). Though, in terms of the execution of the marketing using the materials from the Bungie/343, that's all Microsoft.

If Bungie made Halo 4, I don't think the marketing would have changed much, if any at all. With Gears Judgement, Forza 4, and Horizon, it's clear Microsoft has started a new trend in retail exclusives. Bungie's departure and 343's entrance didn't affect their plan much.

And to add, with Destiny's concentration on specialization (even more-so than CoD), you can bet that there will be exclusive armor, weapons, weapon skins, side missions, and perks all over the place. Activison already started with exclusive weapons in map packs for CoD. There's no way they don't see the exclusive materal opportunity with Destiny.

This will certainly be an interesting topic to revisit once both Destiny and Halo 5 are out.
Absolutely. Although it's a bit different with Halo because in the cases of Halo: CE, 2, and 3, they didn't lock any of these in-game items behind preorders or SKUs. You can make any color Spartan. You can build any emblem. You can wear any armor (that you unlock). So what we have seen is a shift and a HEAVY escalation.

2001 Halo: CE - 0 disc-locked items
2004 Halo 2 - 0 disc-locked items
2007 Halo 3 - 0 disc-locked items
2009 Halo Wars - 2 disc-locked items
2009 Halo 3: ODST - 1 disc-locked item
2010 Halo: Reach - 4 disc-locked items (I had forgotten about the Gamestop chest piece)
2012 Halo 4 - 67 disc-locked items

It's worth complaining about. It deserves contempt, especially when it goes against the legacy and spirit of the franchise.

Top Bottom