• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Some days I randomly get "nostalgic" and miss classic Halo things. Today, I miss Assault and some Big Team Objective.. It was so much fun organizing a 2-3 man rush mission with the Hog/Bomb guy staying away from all the action and going straight into the base for a plant. Some of the funnest moments was waiting for Camo to spawn as you're holding the Bomb, then using that shit to sneak into the base for an uncontested arm.

RIP Halo 2 Assault on Containment

Right in the nostalgia feels.

Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

From Wired

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!!

For realsies if true it could be fantastic for Halo

G17

From Wired

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!!

It was just the Wired guessing possibilities with 300k servers, not what Microsoft is actually doing.

Halo is the one game on Xbox Live that severely needs dedicated servers though.

wwm0nkey

Some days I randomly get "nostalgic" and miss classic Halo things. Today, I miss Assault and some Big Team Objective.. It was so much fun organizing a 2-3 man rush mission with the Hog/Bomb guy staying away from all the action and going straight into the base for a plant. Some of the funnest moments were waiting for Camo to spawn as you're holding the Bomb, then using that shit to sneak into the base for an uncontested arm.

RIP Halo 2 Assault on Containment

2 Flag Containment
1 Flag Relic
1 Sided Assault Headlong
1 Flag Headlong
2 Sided Assault Waterworks
2 Flag Blood Gulch
1 Flag Terminal

These are only a few of the reasons that I want H2A.

G17

Lol come on. Severely?

Maybe severely is exaggerating a bit but having Microsoft provide dedicated servers for the game similar to what they did for Gears of War 3 would do wonders for the game.

The experience in Gears 3 was night and day on Microsoft's dedicated servers and off.

Nebula

Not a fan of Forgotten, especially Extraction with those 1000 stick-dets.

Yeah it's got too much on it for a 4v4 map and it's a bit large for 4v4 IMO. I think it could use a Ghost or two as neutral vehicles though. The map seems like it could accommodate them quite well.

Madness

Rather than forced DLC playlists, I just wish more 'weight' was given into matching with people who have them.

Yesterday, I found a group of randoms, we got majestic or castle maps in action sack, 3 rounds in a row. Two guys leave and all of a sudden the two new guys who joined probably didn't have the dlc, and we started to get shit like complex, abandon or solace.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Rather than forced DLC playlists, I just wish more 'weight' was given into matching with people who have them.

Yesterday, I found a group of randoms, we got majestic or castle maps in action sack, 3 rounds in a row. Two guys leave and all of a sudden the two new guys who joined probably didn't have the dlc, and we started to get shit like complex, abandon or solace.

I find that I find matches with DLC maps quite often. Much more than I did in Reach.

Nebula

I don't remember the last time I got DLC outside of a DLC playlist. I think maybe it was in BTB a month or so ago. Halo has never been all to big on pairing up DLC purchasers though. I think the only reason Halo 3 has Longshore and Sandbox pop up so much is because of how many players have the Mythic disc that came with ODST. I think DLC should go half price when the newer one releases, and then free when the next game in the series comes out.

I also enjoyed some SWAT today. No AAs, Ordnance or Grenade spam was a nice change. Was abusing the Pistol as well and still coming top. I see why Frankie plays it so much.

BTB needs Objective.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Map testing in 20 min. Its Doubles. There will be limited spots available. I also have to take any CC's in that might be on.

Ghazi

Map testing in 20 min. Its Doubles. There will be limited spots available. I also have to take any CC's in that might be on.
I won't be getting on it seems since I have to switch the bumpers of my car, if you're still going in about another hour or two and still have space than I'll be sure to join.

Vico

From Wired

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!!

I'm sure one of the big thing for Halo 5 will be the opportunity to play up to 24 or 48 players at once, and it should be awesome.
But I'll say this now, I don't want it to completely replace our usual 8v8 experience because it's actually great.

Halo: Battles! 32v32 wow epic battles with scarabs and so many hogs! o_O make it happen!

forget Scarabs, we need these things
Halo_Wars_-_Concept_Cobra_2.jpg

UNSC_Sparrowhawk-1-.png

so good

FyreWulff

How is there not btb ctf on Valhalla yet?

BTB Slayer is their most populous playlist. They're not going to add Objective to it and endanger it's population any time soon.

As it stands, the largest Objective you're ever going to get in Halo 4 is 6v6.

If you've ever wondered why playlists have tended to debut as just Slayer and add objective later, or never add objective at all, it's because objective drops population even if it's optional. Lists start as Slayer to maximize potential population. BTB Slayer has been Slayer-only for too long at this point, and I don't think they have the crumple zone to have BTB jump on the Objective Population Loss Grenade at the moment anyway.

edit: An obvious reason they'd favor not having any Objective be bigger than 6v6 is because it'd allow you to consolidate Dominion into the same playlist as other objective gametypes.

DeadNames

Banned
BTB Slayer is their most populous playlist. They're not going to add Objective to it and endanger it's population any time soon.

If you've ever wondered why playlists have tended to debut as just Slayer and add objective later, or never add objective at all, it's because objective drops population even if it's optional. Lists start as Slayer to maximize potential population. BTB Slayer has been Slayer-only for too long at this point, and I don't think they have the crumple zone to have BTB jump on the Objective Population Loss Grenade at the moment anyway.

edit: An obvious reason they'd favor not having any Objective be bigger than 6v6 is because it'd allow you to consolidate Dominion into the same playlist as other objective gametypes.

8v8 Dominion could work if there weren't so many damn vehicles/power weapons.

I decided to check the OT just for fun, and noticed Ghaleon's farewell post. It's sad that Halo 4 just totally turned people off the franchise. 343 are going to have to work some magic in Halo 5 for old fans to come back. However, I almost thinks its too late and the damage is done. :/

In defense of 343 I think the biggest obstacle for Halo is Mircrosoft and the fact that you will need to buy a new console that nobody wants to play it. I am totally convinced 343 was "influenced" by MS to make it their CoD.

It was just the Wired guessing possibilities with 300k servers, not what Microsoft is actually doing.

Halo is the one game on Xbox Live that severely needs dedicated servers though.

The lag sucks but the biggest problem for me are the black screen/host changes/quitters etc. That is more disruptive to the experience. Especially when everyone gets back into the game at different times and you are dead instantly. Happens a lot.

IHaveIce

Banned
Why am I getting JIPed like every second game, but when a game starts 4v2 on my side we neverget teammates.

How flawed is this system

Slayer is the dominant playlist but there is nothing stopping BTB CTF being it's own playlist for example. Make it rotational for 2-4 weeks and see how it sustains itself.

Another option is to add it to dominion and rename that playlist, what is wrong with that? It covers starting as 6v6 and allows for larger 7v7 or 8v8 too. JiP could also have a small to medium window here as well. Dominion allows these sizes and it fits the current 6v6 band-aid.

Further when you look at 1 flag or neutral flag or even 3/4-way multi-flag a BTB CTF mixed playlist on itself has maps and gametypes for variety and a specific focus from other playlists.

Perhaps they're looking at these changes as part of the consolidation of playlists? Maybe one flag is lost to modders only, they don't seem keen on answer anything to do with 1 flag or assault, leaves me confused as to what they did to those game scripts (or didn't update with all the other Halo 4 changes).

Top Bottom