• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Gui_PT

E-peen deployment imminent!

50.png

HHHnnnnngggggg!!!

You use Jetpack

Nebula

I'm severely disappointed in 343. The way they implemented Slayer Pro into BTB is horrible. They did not prepare the maps or alter the gametype settings to fit eachother, and provide players with a radar (essential to BTB play) and weapons on map to counter vehicles. I don't mean lasers at the damn bases btw. I mean anti vehicle stuff that should be near a base like the Plasma pistol, grenades or even a concussion rifle.

It feels rushed, half arsed and poor. This shouldn't happen with. Dev on the level of 343.

I'm to lazy to find the link for it.

The following playlists will use individual scoring and measure your performance against all others in the game. This ensures that the players who play the best in each match will have their CSR adjusted accordingly. Players who win consistently in these playlists will rank up faster than they will in the playlists that use team scoring.

Playlists that use individual scoring:
-Infinity Slayer
-Big Team Infinity Slayer
-Rumble Pit
-Multi-Team
-Team Action Sack
-Flood
-Team Snipers
-Regicide
-SWAT

The following playlists will use team scoring, and your CSR will be based off wins and losses. This system rewards players who work towards the objective and win the match. It will take longer to rank up in these playlists.

Playlists that will use team scoring:
-Castle Team DLC
-Team Objective
-Capture the Flag
-Dominion
-Team Throwdown
-Team Doubles
-Grifball

Here is additional information about these two systems:

In the mainstream playlists, we sort players by their performance (score) after every match, regardless of whether their team won or lost. The system will expect the players with the highest CSR values to rank consistently higher in the match. So if you bring all your awesome friends into those playlists and they dominate while you end up at the bottom of the scoreboard, your rating will NOT be carried by them; it will decrease instead. Your friends’ CSRs won’t change much since the system already expects them to do well. For these playlists, it will be very hard for friends to carry another player without bringing down their own CSRs and risking losing a lot of matches.

We use this in the mainstream playlists because it is incomparably faster at finding the skill of the players and making sure better players get into challenging matches in a timely fashion (and newer players get into fun matches in a reasonable timeframe as well). Our priority on these main playlists is on fast, fair Matchmaking instead of having a pure skill measure. It is also for this reason that we would not consider these playlists as competitive, and the resulting CSRs more of a fun, skill-related value than a pure skill measure.

In select playlists, instead of updating CSR based on the rank of every player, we will update based on the total skill in each team and who won the match. This makes teamwork as important as your solo play. The CSR on these playlists will be technically more pure from a competitive point of view. It will also take longer for these CSRs to converge but when they do, they will more accurately represent a player’s ability to help their team win. To get a 50 in the more prestigious playlists will require players skilled enough to consistently bring the win to their entire team so that they can be matched against better and better players.​

FyreWulff

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1181703

I've played around with this, and as far as I could tell the flag object itself had its pick up properties removed, although it's still a 'weapon' object.
Internally, the CTF variant just basically sets a property on the player who was in the pickup the radius that says they're carrying the flag. Then when that player is within their flag stand's radius it checks that property and performs that scoring logic from there. If I recall, this is also how Reach's CTF worked as well. Been a while since I looked it though.

I swapped the grifball with the flag in a Grifball variant and there wasn't even an option to pick up the flag when I disabled the Grifball 'automatic pickup' option, which hints to me that the flag object doesn't have any properties for picking it up, either automatically or by holding action.

He posted a 1 Flag variant in that thread that supports flag carrier proximity traits, btw

JDHarbs

Are you enjoying my interpretation of Sidewinder? I never did get any feedback on it.
Its been tough getting custom lobbies together to run anything on it, but I liked what I saw just from looking at it in-game. A great Sidewinder remake is close to impossible to pull off so every remake I'd seen up to that point ranged from terrible to okay at best. Your's was the first one that really looked like it had a quality amount of thought and work put into it. It's not perfect (no remake ever will be), but it's probably the best we'll get with what we have to work with.

What is the budget left on it btw?

You have terrible priorities.

I would say it was a fun run to get Noble 1 armor but no, few matches were actually fun like my enemies and my team were only using standard loadouts and B was our Last Stand to survive the horde of Blue Team (because red team always sucks on Exile).Pretty sad I played 95% of my run in Exile, even more sad when I was starting to move by natural instinct to the rocket spawn and secure B, pretty terrible learning curve so after 70 wins I inmediately switched to Sniper location and secure A and B or run to the SAW.

The Dominion weapons spawns since last week was somewhat surreal, The same power weapons spawn on 3 spawn points on the same Base, sometimes I saw 3 Rocket Launchers or 3 shotguns on the same base, Spartan Laser and Sniper rifles only spawns in 2 spawn points.

I really enjoy Dominion, it is a good concept to play it, even solo but when the match is starting to overflow with power weapons it becomes a mess.

TheOddOne

What do you mean with can't unsee it?

It IS the Spawn logo, the logo from McFarlane toys.

AND YES I WANT IT TOO :(
Ha ha, at first I thought it was just some thing but then I saw the Spawn like logo. It's actually the logo? Damn, my mind is really starting to go downhill.

DeadNames

Banned
Gosh, those armor schematics really do Halo 4's armor justice.

I still stand by my statement that the art in this game is one of my favorites. Except for the Forerunner campaign structures and UNSC MP maps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
My pro/con list for Monday's update:

Pros:
-BR returns to 4 shot kill glory; 2 shots + melee kill
-Carbine gets love with a buff
-DMR's red reticule range reduced
-Universal movement speed increased by 10%

Cons:
-Light Rifle's single shot getting stronger; 3 shot burst getting weaker
-AR, Storm, and Suppressor getting buffed (they're already strong)
-SAW getting a buff

I just worry about the Light Rifle becoming the new DMR. Otherwise, it's a step in the right direction.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've been using the BR a lot lately. I really think it's going to be the jack of all trades weapon now. 4sk sounds glorious.

Mabef

Banned
Gosh, those armor schematics really do Halo 4's armor justice.

I still stand by my statement that the art in this game is one of my favorites. Except for the Forerunner campaign structures and UNSC MP maps.

Something about Halo CE's color scheme and minimalist (by necessity) environments makes it look so great to me. None of the sequels really tried to pull off that minimalist look, though. It'd be great if they tried.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Pros:

Cons:
-SAW getting a buff

I just worry about the Light Rifle becoming the new DMR. Otherwise, it's a step in the right direction.

LR is definitely something I'm skeptical about too, even though I played the new settings already. I think at long range it's going to do some serious damage on any map. When the LR player has to zoom out, they lose to any of the other rifles.

HAWTomatics have also received a decrease in auto aim. That makes a big difference.

willow ve

Something about Halo CE's color scheme and minimalist (by necessity) environments makes it look so great to me. None of the sequels really tried to pull off that minimalist look, though. It'd be great if they tried.
We have trees in forge now. Minimalism is dead. For good.
just like HaloGAF

Yeah I loved the look of Halo CE. Even though Bungie didn't stick with the minimalist style in the following games, the still had a unique style. Halo 4 feels more generic sci-fi to me. For example, Halo prior to 343 taking over, Mass Effect, and Star Wars all have their own unique look. When you see something from them, you know where it's from. Halo 4, and even CEA don't have that. It's one of my least favorite changes to the series.

Fuchsdh

I think that's a problem with increased graphic horsepower. CE's shiny textures and sleek look really do look good to me as well.

I was thinking about that the other day when I watched Star Trek, movie CG has fallen prey to the Transformers effect--they're blowing loads of money modeling every rivet on every incredibly busy 3D design. More tech doesn't destroy the principles of design.

blamite

Yeah I loved the look of Halo CE. Even though Bungie didn't stick with the minimalist style in the following games, the still had a unique style. Halo 4 feels more generic sci-fi to me. For example, Halo prior to 343 taking over, Mass Effect, and Star Wars all have their own unique look. When you see something from them, you know where it's from. Halo 4, and even CEA don't have that. It's one of my least favorite changes to the series.

Everything in the Majestic pack looks straight out of Mass Effect, right down to the flying cars on Skyline.

Madness

I don't know why, all I really love is clean, simple lines in maps... No unnecessary eye candy like you get in most games now. It's why I like Haven so much as opposed to Solace.

But I love skyboxes. First thing I always look at in maps.

Computer

I don't know why, all I really love is clean, simple lines in maps... No unnecessary eye candy like you get in most games now. It's why I like Haven so much as opposed to Solace.

But I love skyboxes. First thing I always look at in maps.

I feel the same way about maps looking much better when simple and clean. Take Halo 2 lockout for example. It was very plain with slight variation in color yet it looked so much better then its shit remake Blackout.

Mabef

Banned
I think that's a problem with increased graphic horsepower. CE's shiny textures and sleek look really do look good to me as well.

I was thinking about that the other day when I watched Star Trek, movie CG has fallen prey to the Transformers effect--they're blowing loads of money modeling every rivet on every incredibly busy 3D design. More tech doesn't destroy the principles of design.
Ya, totally agree. For whatever reason, games tend to be judged by technical prowess first, aesthetic style second. More than movies, imo. Probably because the technology and art are so integrated in games; one begets the other.

If next gen graphics plateau like it kind of looks they might, maybe people will judge less on technical stuff, more on style.

Doesn't help that Halo's always been first party -- its entire business purpose is to sell technology, basically. I can't really expect it to double back (and H4's pretty, anyways).

Edit: aaand I'm a member! Only took forfuckinever.

Pros:

Cons:
-SAW getting a buff

For shame on the bolded, con for me. 3 melee's to kill solve/significantly improve the melee issues of the past few Halo games, not something that makes melee stronger.

Still don't understand the changes to the LR. I know they want to push each weapon into its role, but I don't think the utility weapons should be terrible out of their strongest range area. As it stands, the LR already gets completely shit on my the BR and DMR in short and medium range (unscoped fire) and now they are making it even worse in that range.

Tashi

For shame on the bolded, con for me. 3 melee's to kill solve/significantly improve the melee issues of the past few Halo games, not something that makes melee stronger.

Still don't understand the changes to the LR. I know they want to push each weapon into its role, but I don't think the utility weapons should be terrible out of their strongest range area. As it stands, the LR already gets completely shit on my the BR and DMR in short and medium range (unscoped fire) and now they are making it even worse in that range.

I would argue that with how powerful sprint double melee is and boltshot, 2 shot melee fits very nicely.

http://www.twitch.tv/justinpistola/new

Also, Pistola is finally streaming.

Fuchsdh

I would argue that with how powerful sprint double melee is and boltshot, 2 shot melee fits very nicely.

Yeah, but I think there's a fair point at making it 3 hit melee. There's no doubt the melee strength in CE was pretty ridiculously weak (although it makes the Anniversary lists pretty funny to watch) but the 2HK system creates some bad issues with beatdowns. Just slightly reducing the damage so two hits with no other damage won't kill them, so you at least have to plug him once.

But that's a bandaid solution to those issues, if you make melee 3 hits to kill, that issue goes away without the need for a "solution" of making melee essentially stronger with the BR.

It's something that's been frustrating with 343's balance of their game (Bungie is guilty of this in H3 and more so in Reach as well). When they have a sandbox element or sandbox combo that's probably more powerful than it should be, they create another element to negate that instead of dealing with the root issue of how or why the original combo. I feel that's a poor way to balance your sandbox creating a bunch of unnecessarily complex elements to your sandbox that don't make it deeper in any way.

Tashi

Yeah, but I think there's a fair point at making it 3 hit melee. There's no doubt the melee strength in CE was pretty ridiculously weak (although it makes the Anniversary lists pretty funny to watch) but the 2HK system creates some bad issues with beatdowns. Just slightly reducing the damage so two hits with no other damage won't kill them, so you at least have to plug him once.

Well 3 melee kill wasn't going to happen. I think buffing the BR so that it's 2 shot melee to kill is certainly an improvement over 3 shot melee to kill. It gives the player another option in close quarters combat. It's pretty damn lame at the moment.

Top Bottom