• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Halo 3 is the best Halo game, but I'll agree that its melee isn't the best in the series. I wouldn't really say it's any worse than Reach or 4's though. Still, since melee is such a powerful tool, it should be harder to use successfully.

Melee its non existent in Halo 3's turtle gameplay.

was that generally well accepted in the star wars community?

Hell no. Clone Wars series was in decay since Season 3 I think, so Darth Maul was the coupe de grace of cancelling the serie.

was that generally well accepted in the star wars community?

Star Wars EU is very fickle stuff. The Clone Wars CGI series is pretty fantastic. The comic was just a one shot they usually get a pass because they are basically universe "what if?" scenarios. Poor writing can be excused.

Some of the novels like the Thrawn trilogy are well regarded and actually pretty amazing.

heckfu

Banned
I think I post this every single time the Halo 3 posts come up.

Halo 3 was mediocre. Whether it be the netcode or awful BR the game just wasn't as good as CE and 2.

I know we have this conversation every three weeks about ranking the Halo games but I'm 100% with you.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo 3 was the best game in the sense of content it had.

Theater, Forge etc all new in the series, hell no other Halo game introduced that many complete new features. If you count ODST as Halo 3 addon even Firefight.

But in the sense of multiplayer gameplay it is still good but Halo 2 was just better. And with Halo 3 the melee system went to shit, man I loved Halo 2's

JackHerer

I really think Halo Spartan Assault will be this years "ODST", standalone SP + Halo 4 MP. Further, I bet the story is a evolution of Spartan Ops Season 2 (bleh)

This actually sounds somewhat likely. I'm still wondering if they will make something for the Xbox One that will release closer to launch than Halo 5 (which I'm not expecting for another 18 months). I still have hope for a Halo 2 HD at launch.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Halo 3 is the best Halo game, but I'll agree that its melee isn't the best in the series. I wouldn't really say it's any worse than Reach or 4's though. Still, since melee is such a powerful tool, it should be harder to use successfully.

I personally think the power of the two hit melee works fine in the current sandbox. Everything else is so strong these days no one would ever melee if it returned to a 3 hit. And with things like the thruster running up for a melee can be more difficult against better players. Now if only the strafe was slightly better there wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Booshka

Halo 3 is terrible, they totally screwed up core mechanics of a FPS. Moving and aiming in that game is like slogging through shit. I guess all those awesome features helped people get used to the chore that was aiming and moving in that game.

I don't know how you go from smooth playing games like Halo CE and even Halo 2, then to Halo 3.

Halo 3's melee was fucking atrocious.

I see where your complaints are coming from and perfectly understand them, but where Halo 3's melee system wins me over is its a) consistency and b) it feels great to melee people. I never liked to beat down enemies in either Halo 1 or Halo 2. In Halo 1 I always felt disconnected from the action, like I was hitting things with a disconnected arm. Halo 2's removed the disconnect I felt, but the act of hitting things felt weak. Online, there was always a chance you could encounter latency with melees and hitting someone that resulted in no damage. Halo 3's melees felt powerful; like you're really doing damage. Never had a huge problem with latency for it. I loved it.

I recently finished Hindsight: ODST. For those of you who are reading (probably not many, if at all), I hope you guys like Coastal Highway. You should check that out if not any of the others. Thinking about starting my review of Halo 4's campaign. Question is will I have time...

DeadNames

Banned
d1RwOkB.png

I want to like this game.

Booshka

halo 5 at e3 confirmed

Frankie is just happy that his split thread idea finally happened.

Stinkles said:
I think the issue is there are a bunch of posters who don't play Halo 4 and are especially enthusiastic about discussing their dislike. The problem is that there's only one Halo Community OT, so the folks who don't like or literally don't even play Halo 4 have one single place to discuss their dissent, and are very dedicated posters, but that's basically creating a binary fight rather than a community thread about Halo 4. Why not split it up? People who actually play Halo 4 have a thread for that, and people who don't have a thread about their issues and Halo games they actually do play?
And then maybe conversations don't devolve into personal attacks or redundant bitching?

I would read and post in both.

Akai__

halo 5 at e3 confirmed

Yeah, the ":)" means totally Halo 5, in the Forerunner language. :p

I don't think we will see a Halo 5 at E3. I hope for Halo Wars 2 or Halo ODST 2. Would be a cool birthday present, but that's only me dreaming.

Make it happen Frankie, please,

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
*Googles Hannibal*

ohh

How is it for someone with only a passing familiarity with the source material? I know its about a guy who eats people and a cop.

You don't need to have seen or read the other stuff. There are coll references but not only does it have plenty of its own context, it's also deviating from the original source material because of some licensing issues (they can't use clarice starling, for example).

It is however one of the goriest things on broadcast network TV. I wouldn't call it scary, it's fascinating though.

And it's also the single most bizarre buddy cop premise on TV.

Sounds great. I'll make sure to check it out. Buddy Cop shows are kind of my GF's bread and butter of TV so that will help.

I need something since GoT Season is ending :(

DeadNames

Banned
Do you feel like you own the franchise or something?

Where did that one come from?

Of course I don't. It was just astonishing that someone thought it would be a good design choice to turn invisible on demand in a FPS.

Don't they have anti-cheat for that kinda stuff on other platforms?

Hannibal has been renewed for season 2. Now dance.

Mads in Halo 5. Pls.

Very glad to hear that, I've really been enjoying the show.

--

The last Bulletin mentioned that all the maps are getting revamps, is there anything more specific on that, or is it just wait and see?

Somewhere, somehow someone thought this was a good idea.

A good. idea.

good.

good.

good.

I like camo AA, why is it an issue when we have diverse playlists? This question goes for a shit-ton of other mechanics and praise/complaints too. As long as the settings and maps suit playlists the best solution is to include all and some new variants at launch with the next titles.

Madness

I've only seen the movies... Love the hell out of Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon was good, Hannibal was tolerable. I hated the prequel one though.

Going to have to check this show out.

Also now that you're browsing Frankie, who at 343 is going to be playing with the community when the update releases?

I like camo AA

nrvksax.gif

Top Bottom