• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Fuchsdh

Well 3 melee kill wasn't going to happen. I think buffing the BR so that it's 2 shot melee to kill is certainly an improvement over 3 shot melee to kill. It gives the player another option in close quarters combat. It's pretty damn lame at the moment.

Oh I'm not complaining about that not being changed--I certainly don't have the expectations some people here do that 343 is going to create Halo 4.5, the new game within the game--but it just seems like something that would alleviate a lot of issues we've seen for years now in the next game. And I say this as I guy who loves melees.

Havok

Well 3 melee kill wasn't going to happen. I think buffing the BR so that it's 2 shot melee to kill is certainly an improvement over 3 shot melee to kill. It gives the player another option in close quarters combat. It's pretty damn lame at the moment.
I don't see why a 3 hit kill should be off the table. Yuhas hit it on the head - the policy of balancing upwards to match broken elements instead of fixing the root problem is asinine. We put too many/overly useful EMP or antivehicle items on a map or in loadouts? Better crank up the power of the Warthog chaingun to compensate for that one specific scenario (sorry to anyone who spawns anywhere outside the base on Standoff!)! We allowed players to spawn with a shotgun and then pretended to nerf it? We couldn't possibly reduce melee strength now!

Is this where I get to mention how cool an idea inertia-based melee strength was?

Oh I'm not complaining about that not being changed--I certainly don't have the expectations some people here do that 343 is going to create Halo 4.5, the new game within the game--but it just seems like something that would alleviate a lot of issues we've seen for years now in the next game. And I say this as I guy who loves melees.
It's kind of interesting where they've taken the game, because they're sort of setting that expectation themselves. A major rebalance that at least indirectly affirms much of the criticism leveled at the sandbox, a drastic overhaul of the launch maps that will presumably remove some of the core (uhh) innovations that 343 brought to the table like Global Ordnance, and changes to the base player traits. That's not even to mention the changes in playlist philosophies and the kinds of maps and modes they've been pushing in the last couple months. On a certain level it's admirable, on another level it's amazing how much work they cut out for themselves through a lot of their design decisions.

Booshka

I'll never understand what Bungie did with melee's from Halo CE onward. Adding lunge was the worst thing that could have happened to melee, and they made them stronger on top of that.

Melee in Halo CE was fine, you could get the 1HKO with assassinations, and it complemented close range fights well by using it as a killing blow after you put some damage into them with your weapon. Then, if you got really good, you could land some really nasty and skill based double melee's that were tough to pull off and risky because you would throw a grenade right next to you to execute it.

I want the emphasis to be on guns in First Person Shooters, melee has taken far too heavy of a role in Halo games past Halo CE.

Released

I'd love for momentum damage modifiers for melee to return as well. Probably won't work well if they insist on keeping sprint though.

FyreWulff

I'll never understand what Bungie did with melee's from Halo CE onward. Adding lunge was the worst thing that could have happened to melee, and they made them stronger on top of that.

Lunge hides Internet latency and synchronization issues. It's also kind of the same role bullet magnetism fulfills when the guns reticle is red, but for your fists to make controller play more usable.

Thy can certainly change the parameters but lunge is just going to be a fact of life for most online fps.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't see why a 3 hit kill should be off the table. Yuhas hit it on the head - the policy of balancing upwards to match broken elements instead of fixing the root problem is asinine. We put too many/overly useful EMP or antivehicle items on a map or in loadouts? Better crank up the power of the Warthog chaingun to compensate for that one specific scenario (sorry to anyone who spawns anywhere outside the base on Standoff!)! We allowed players to spawn with a shotgun and then pretended to nerf it? We couldn't possibly reduce melee strength now!

Is this where I get to mention how cool an idea inertia-based melee strength was?

It's kind of interesting where they've taken the game, because they're sort of setting that expectation themselves. A major rebalance that at least indirectly affirms much of the criticism leveled at the sandbox, a drastic overhaul of the launch maps that will presumably remove some of the core (uhh) innovations that 343 brought to the table like Global Ordnance, and changes to the base player traits. That's not even to mention the changes in playlist philosophies and the kinds of maps and modes they've been pushing in the last couple months. On a certain level it's admirable, on another level it's amazing how much work they cut out for themselves through a lot of their design decisions.

Oh I'm not arguing that this is the ultimate fix or something. I'm thinking on a much smaller scale based on the 98% complete update I played a couple weeks ago. Basically what little tweaks could round off the already almost finished rebalance.

Now for Halo 5, thats a different story. I'm all for what you guys are saying.

DeadNames

Banned
But I love skyboxes. First thing I always look at in maps.

A million times this.

I would go on Standoff in Halo 3 just to get a look at that beautiful skybox. The awesome huge satellite dishes, the African vista in the background, and the awesome sunset was just too good. Solace has a pretty cool skybox, same with Skyline.

Fuck, I miss Halo 3.

Booshka

Lunge hides Internet latency and synchronization issues. It's also kind of the same role bullet magnetism fulfills when the guns reticle is red, but for your fists to make controller play more usable.

Thy can certainly change the parameters but lunge is just going to be a fact of life for most online fps.

I understand these arguments, I feel it is just far too generous and easy.

Shadowrun doesn't have lunge by the way, and although you get some goofy stuff with 20 ft katanas on some laggy players, it works very well overall. There is definitely a learning curve to depth perception and hit detection of the katana, but the game kicks you to 3rd person when you have the katana or artifact (flag) giving you more spatial awareness.

Lunge just looks and plays sloppily to me, especially if you watch two players derp back and forth meleeing and you are the third party cleaning them up with a weapon. All the missed lunges and sketchy animations I saw in Midship FFA cemented my belief that melee lunge is detrimental to gameplay.

Too true on melee/lunge changing all the time due to latency compensation. It's one of the major reasons CE to online wouldn't be an exact port.

I also wish they would bring back inertia melee strength and jumping 1HK melee. When you combine the old melee/sword strafe dodge or slide jumping to gain momentum things become far more skilled, varied and interesting for casual play as well.

Havok

Oh I'm not arguing that this is the ultimate fix or something. I'm thinking on a much smaller scale based on the 98% complete update I played a couple weeks ago. Basically what little tweaks could round off the already almost finished rebalance.

Now for Halo 5, thats a different story. I'm all for what you guys are saying.
Sure, I get it - I don't mean to put words in your mouth or anything. The issue I have with that kind of thing is that when they're publicly taking steps to address things the right way (like revamping every single map in the game to hopefully transition them away from their atrocious launch states, for example), it just makes the bandaid solutions and still-broken elements like increasing vehicle killing power or idiot-proof melee kills that maybe sort of halfway fix the symptoms of the initial problem stick out even more.

Good games tonight Zoso and Daedalius.

VKBcbyS.png

I should play in a barely conscious haze more often.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

TCKaos

Good games tonight Zoso and Daedalius.

http://i.imgur.com/VKBcbyS.png[IMG]

I should play in a barely conscious haze more often.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.[/QUOTE]

>8 - 17

Just quit, man. Just quit.

Also the Refractive skin looks pretty awesome, I just wish it was the bonus for some kind of in-game challenge, instead. I mean, it's not like it took them six or seven months to come up with less than a dozen textures, right?

TheOddOne

Microsoft secretly registers Halo Spartan Assault domains like SpartanAssault.net
here is a lot of buzz about Halo with E3 less than two weeks away. Microsoft is expected to reveal Halo 5 and may even share more about Steven Spielberg’s upcoming Halo TV series, of which little is known about.

It also appears the company is up to something related to Halo ahead of E3 that is called Halo: Spartan Assault, according to several domain names Microsoft privately registered through the brand protection company MarkMonitor.

Among the latest names Microsoft registered in late May, are SpartanAssault.net (WHOIS), HaloSpartanAssault.com (WHOIS) and Halo-SpartanAssault.com (WHOIS).
Also registered were Halo-SpartanAssault.net (WHOIS) and HaloSpartanAssault.net (WHOIS).

Each of the newly acquired names is registered to DNStination Inc, a Whois privacy service administered by MarkMonitor. Microsoft is a well-known client of MarkMonitor and over the years has acquired many Halo-related domains through the company like Halo 7, Halo 8 and Halo 9, to name a few.

Back in 2009, a fan fiction story was written online by a Halo fan called Halo Spartan Assault. Of course, there is always the chance that Microsoft is doing nothing more than protecting its IP, but it’s highly unlikely, with E3 right around the corner.
Although it’s only speculation at this point, you can bet Microsoft has something in the works for Halo: Spartan Assault.

Is it the title of a live action series? A video game? Who knows?
It’s obviously too early to say what exactly Microsoft has planned for Halo: Spartan Assault, but we should know more soon.
Credit to miladesn for finding it.

Conor 419

Banned
For shame on the bolded, con for me. 3 melee's to kill solve/significantly improve the melee issues of the past few Halo games, not something that makes melee stronger.

Still don't understand the changes to the LR. I know they want to push each weapon into its role, but I don't think the utility weapons should be terrible out of their strongest range area. As it stands, the LR already gets completely shit on my the BR and DMR in short and medium range (unscoped fire) and now they are making it even worse in that range.

Three melees to kill is an outrageous suggestion.

I don't get why the core mechanics need to change, just build on Halo 3.

My pro/con list for Monday's update:

Pros:
-BR returns to 4 shot kill glory; 2 shots + melee kill
-Carbine gets love with a buff
-DMR's red reticule range reduced
-Universal movement speed increased by 10%

Cons:
-Light Rifle's single shot getting stronger; 3 shot burst getting weaker
-AR, Storm, and Suppressor getting buffed (they're already strong)
-SAW getting a buff

I just worry about the Light Rifle becoming the new DMR. Otherwise, it's a step in the right direction.
What?!?

I did not realise this. ... Not what I wanted to hear.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah the automatics are weird fetting a buff, doesn't matter if auto aim gets nerfed, I mean does the SAW even have much to begin with?

Well we will see, rumble pit will be a automatic carnival of stupid.

Also good find Oddone, but like said in the article it could be anything. It could also be just the name of the already announced TV show. Or the pc game called bootcamp got renamed.

Or or or or. They should take their time with a new game

What?!?

I did not realise this. ... Not what I wanted to hear.

With the BR 2 shot melee the autos need slight buffing. I think it is 3 bullets faster to compete up close. The aim assist was toned down and therefore the saw needed similar bullet reduction to remain viable and in its role as a power weapon.

Uh huh. How significant is this aa reduction?
Hard to not be skeptical of anything 343 do until they earn some trust and prove they're capable of making the game I want to play.

As soon as a SAW drops in ordinance.. I hope I'm wrong about how it'll feel.

Fuchsdh

Yeah the automatics are weird fetting a buff, doesn't matter if auto aim gets nerfed, I mean does the SAW even have much to begin with?

Well we will see, rumble pit will be a automatic carnival of stupid.

Also good find Oddone, but like said in the article it could be anything. It could also be just the name of the already announced TV show. Or the pc game called bootcamp got renamed.

Or or or or. They should take their time with a new game

Automatics seem fairly wise in a FFA setting if you're planning on stealing kills and mopping up weak people. Carbine if the range is longer.

IHaveIce

Banned
Automatics seem fairly wise in a FFA setting if you're planning on stealing kills and mopping up weak people. Carbine if the range is longer.
Yeah but sadly everone play like this :

-Sprint toward target melee and throw a sticky
Or
- automatic dead on targeting you if they are close to losing plasma nade and sprinting away/ towards you for a melee.

Or the worst jetpacking with an AR and of course also a sticky nade in the loadouts

GOd fuck loadouts, armor abilities and sprint

Duji

What ever happened to the MS/Virgin gaming deal for Halo 4? Did that go anywhere (aside from the Ford truck)? Excuse my ignorance.

Karl2177

Outrageous? It was like that in the original Halo game!

Halo 3's melee was fucking atrocious.
Even though I appreciate most of the gameplay decisions of Halo 3, I can agree that melee was poor. I'm all for returning the melee system to Halo 2's variable melees.

No it wasn't.

Big lunge, Hitboxes the size of Africa combined with incredible aim assist assuring that if you hit the melee button within 10 feet of someone you'll get a melee hit, even if you aren't facing them lol.

6 AR bullets + a Melee kills. WAY WAY too strong. The player has such an absurdly strong attack and it's the easiest thing to do, with no possible way to miss or incentive to use weapons creating no skill gap whatsoever? No, you're right that's sounds great!

Opinions like that are why we can't have good Halo anymore.

what was this?

So a comic got made where maul was given cyber legs and stuff. He killed a clone of darth vader.

Then season 4(5 maybe) of The clone wars animated series had mauls yellow and black brother seek out cyber leg maul (not sure if it was related to the comic maul)

Released

Big lunge, Hitboxes the size of Africa combined with incredible aim assist assuring that if you hit the melee button within 10 feet of someone you'll get a melee hit, even if you aren't facing them lol.

6 AR bullets + a Melee kills. WAY WAY too strong. The player has such an absurdly strong attack and it's the easiest thing to do, with no possible way to miss or incentive to use weapons creating no skill gap whatsoever? No, you're right that's sounds great!

In H3, you could actually land a melee on someone with only one pixel of their player model on your screen. How can anyone think that's a good system?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I for one will reserve judgement until i get to try the changes out. Changes on paper and in application always end up being considerably different than expected.

IHaveIce

Banned
How would you guys describe " out playing" someone?

Make smarter moves, don't jump carelessly around, have a better strafe, don't waste shots and grenades. Don'tchallengef if there is no reason to and you would only get a trade.

Know all the time were your opponent will most likely do the next move.

Conor 419

Banned

lmao @ exaggeration.

Also that's funny, last time I checked Halo 3 was the best Halo game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Halo 3 is the best Halo game, but I'll agree that its melee isn't the best in the series. I wouldn't really say it's any worse than Reach or 4's though. Still, since melee is such a powerful tool, it should be harder to use successfully.

I think I post this every single time the Halo 3 posts come up.

Halo 3 was mediocre. Whether it be the netcode or awful BR the game just wasn't as good as CE and 2.

DeadNames

Banned
So a comic got made where maul was given cyber legs and stuff. He killed a clone of darth vader.

Then season 4(5 maybe) of The clone wars animated series had mauls yellow and black brother seek out cyber leg maul (not sure if it was related to the comic maul)

was that generally well accepted in the star wars community?

Top Bottom