• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

nrvksax.gif

Essentially you suck at Halo, and like it when it makes it easy for you to get kills.

Not surprised.

Sure I expect the usual replies pissing on AA's but if you comprehend what I wrote you'll see I prefer a variety of play, live in the grey.

I enjoy taking down camo snipers or Mantises or slipping through enemy objective map control. I also enjoy other settings/playlists with even starts an no AA's. Using my loadouts or even settings I enjoy chasing hard targets either way.

I like both and see no issues in having various game types on offer. AA's don't equal easy kills when matched teams play matched teams. I prefer even starts and map pickups most of the time but Infinity is cool with me for a lower percentage of my Halo time.

Voting with variants is sweet why do you have to shit on variety with settings/playlists?

Write me off as shit but facts are I'm not a shit Halo player. I don't pretend to be 1% god tier win any AGL tournament I enter but I'm far from shite at the game thanks.

DeadNames

Banned
Sure I expect the usual replies pissing on AA's but if you comprehend what I wrote you'll see I prefer a variety if play, live in the grey.

I enjoy taking down camo snipers or Mantises or slipping through enemy objective map control. I also enjoy other settings/playlists with even starts an no AA's.

I like both and see no issues in having various game types on offer. AA's don't equal easy kills when matched teams play matched teams. I prefer even starts and map pickups most of the time but Infinity is cool with me for a lower percentage of my Halo time.

Voting with variants is sweet why do you have to shit on variety with settings/playlists?

Write me off as shit but facts are I'm not a shit Halo player. I don't pretend to be 1% god tier win any AGL tournament I enter but I'm far from shite at the game thanks.

Going invisible with a shotty/sniper doesn't mean easy kills?

lol

It doesn't matter if you're a pro or a babby, getting killed while someone is invisible is bullshit.

Booshka

I remember when you had to properly sneak in Halo; manipulate sightlines and radar to sneak up on the enemy. You could also use that skill to grab the active camo powerup and then have a minute or so to move around the map and help your team gain map and weapon control with it.

Now you can spawn with that shit and camp for ordnance.

Going invisible with a shotty/sniper doesn't mean easy kills?

lol

It doesn't matter if you're a pro or a babby, getting killed while someone is invisible is bullshit.

Against a coordinated team not really, you may get one or two even three if you're lucky but you're quickly going down by me or my team mates.

Camo sniper has no shot on anti-camo, team work, power vehicles or awareness+cover usage.

It was the same against a skilled sniper on burial mounds or last resort or coagulation and many others irrespective of camo AA. Teamwork and communication makes light work of camo+sniper. Jet pack or HLS also have situational counters to camo+sniper.

Again reading what I wrote if you don't like that play you would have plenty of other playlists to enter where those settings simply aren't in play.

By that logic classic on map camo or OS pickup combined with sniper is bullshit too.

I remember when you had to properly sneak in Halo; manipulate sightlines and radar to sneak up on the enemy. You could also use that skill to grab the active camo powerup and then have a minute or so to move around the map and help your team gain map and weapon control with it.

Now you can spawn with that shit and camp for ordnance.

That style of Halo radar sneak is my favourite, no question. It's not like the skill in something like The Pit camo or OS starts was so insane it separated noobs from solo-beast. Quite often it was determined by random start spawn or host for who got to pick it up. I prefer the stealth or teamwork skill of assault over either classic on map or Infinity weapon spawns. Shame that skill is completely removed on Halo 4 objective.

DeadNames

Banned
Again reading what I wrote if you dont't like that play you would have plenty if other playlists to enter where those settings simply aren't in play.

Team throwdown with all what, 500 people that play it? I usually get destroyed in that list so it's not fun at all.

By that logic classic on map camo or OS pickup combined with sniper is bullshit too.

Nope. You had to move around to get more sniper ammo. Everyone had an equal opportunity too. Now you can just hide in the back of the map while invisible and have the sniper plop at your feet. There is literally no reason to move outside of your base on Ragnarok.

Sure I expect the usual replies pissing on AA's but if you comprehend what I wrote you'll see I prefer a variety of play, live in the grey.

I enjoy taking down camo snipers or Mantises or slipping through enemy objective map control. I also enjoy other settings/playlists with even starts an no AA's. Using my loadouts or even settings I enjoy chasing hard targets either way.

I'm in the power up camp. I've always felt that Active Camo works much better when its a temporary trait than an infinitely useable ability right off spawn. Being able to go invisible at virtually any point in time as long as you aren't in combat is just too powerful and exploitative when combined with certain other parts of the game, like stability or a sniper (and personal ordnance). It encourages campy behaviour which can slow down combat and make it very difficult to react against, which I think is very fundamental to Halo's combat. I'm a fairly reactive player, and part of that means I like to be able to see my opponents if they are in an obvious or revealing position of power on a map. Now, if one of us earned the camo ability temporarily by fighting over it as a power up, say, in a neutral location on a map, then I don't mind it. I still like hologram and thruster pack, as I feel they add to the combat rather than cheapen it.

Team throwdown with all what, 500 people that play it? I usually get destroyed in that list so it's not fun at all.

Nope. You had to move around to get more sniper ammo. Everyone had an equal opportunity too. Now you can just hide in the back of the map while invisible and have the sniper plop at your feet. There is literally no reason to move outside of your base on Ragnarok.

Throw down sucks without a practiced regular team, I like the settings but don't play that one because of no radar, randoms vs. teams and spawn killing. I had enough spawn killing in Halo 2 or 3 thanks. I have no wish to be on either side. I enjoy dynamic changing encounters not memorisation and lopsided spawn traps thanks. I understand there is team skill in that and it has its roots firmly in the competitive scene but its not for me or the team I enjoy playing with.

I've found the same players complaining about your second paragraph were the same players who farmed weapons in Halo 2 or 3 or Reach. What is the difference exactly?

Booshka

Throw down sucks without a practiced regular team, I like the settings but don't play that one because of no radar, randoms vs. teams and spawn killing. I had enough spawn killing in Halo 2 or 3 thanks. I have no wish to be on either side. I enjoy dynamic changing encounters not memorisation and lopsided spawn traps thanks. I understand there is team skill in that and it has its roots firmly in the competitive scene but its not for me or the team I enjoy playing with.

I've found the same players complaining about your second paragraph were the same players who farmed weapons in Halo 2 or 3 or Reach. What is the difference exactly?

Map control is now power weapon farming?

Halo is truly doomed if 343 has to design MP with this kind of mindset.

DeadNames

Banned

You know there's a way to have interesting gameplay without wallhacks/invisibility?

People never complained about Halo 3 being boring. And the only time I remember people whoring weapons was on Hemorrhoid and the sniper. Other than that, nothing.

I'm in the power up camp. I've always felt that Active Camo works much better when its a temporary trait than an infinitely useable ability right off spawn. Being able to go invisible at virtually any point in time as long as you aren't in combat is just too powerful and exploitative when combined with certain other parts of the game, like stability or a sniper (and personal ordnance). It encourages campy behaviour which can slow down combat and make it very difficult to react against, which I think is very fundamental to Halo's combat. I'm a fairly reactive player, and part of that means I like to be able to see my opponents if they are in an obvious or revealing position of power on a map. Now, if one of us earned the camo ability temporarily by fighting over it as a power up, say, in a neutral location on a map, then I don't mind it. I still like hologram and thruster pack, as I feel they add to the combat rather than cheapen it.

I prefer that style of play too but I don't rage and hate the game if I play Infinity for say 25% of my games. I enjoy the change up and variety. I was the same with Reach too.

If playlists provide the players or teams choice as well as voting options where is the issue?

Not every player wants Throwdown 100% of their games you know.

Map control is now power weapon farming?

Halo is truly doomed if 343 has to design MP with this kind of mindset.

It doesn't even have to be map control what of Banshee in Paradiso or base Sniper on hemhorrage or tower snipe on The Pit or sniper on burial mounds. The list is huge and it's more the map/weapon placements than outright map control. The map control versions are the good examples where the farming weapons are poor examples.

Booshka

They actually do, they are just too ignorant to know it.

The average gamer is fucking way too dumb to know whats best for them.

Lol, made me laugh and I hope you're not serious.
He is dead serious, even if there a dozen playlists that offer up a plethora of different ways to play Halo 4, the Infinity design mindset is still there. If the game was designed like Halo should be from the ground up more people would enjoy it and play it. The population numbers support the fact that the Halo 4 MP design experiment didn't work.

The masses are too stupid to go out of the box and play a community variant that mirrors the more satisfying design of Halo's of the past. They just play whats on the top of the MM playlist with the most players, get invested in the stupid career progression and don't realize a better, more well designed way of playing Halo is out there.

I have always hated the idea that Halo can be designed to please everyone, and tons of playlists can satisfy everyone's needs. It's not true, somewhere in the core design of the game you chose an allegiance to a certain style of play. In Halo 4, that was the Infinity Slayer mindset, every other playlist is just struggling to recover from the ramifications of that initial design philosophy.

Havok

You dudes still argue with Ozzy?

lol
Never forget.

Now we're telling them it's not ok to tweak games, fuck that. Let them change games, tweak things, make some mistakes, learn from them and shape something for every type of playlist. That's what iterative design is about. Shame they missed the mark with classic Halo settings and maps at launch.

Clearly terrible things to say, apparently the game is for NeoGAF donging only.
If that's the part of the linked post that you think is applicable to your pro-camo posts on this page and not that hilarious crouch-walk map you created, I don't know what to tell you.

Now we're telling them it's not ok to tweak games, fuck that. Let them change games, tweak things, make some mistakes, learn from them and shape something for every type of playlist. That's what iterative design is about. Shame they missed the mark with classic Halo settings and maps at launch.

Clearly terrible things to say, apparently the game is for NeoGAF donging only.

He is dead serious, even if there a dozen playlists that offer up a plethora of different ways to play Halo 4, the Infinity design mindset is still there. If the game was designed like Halo should be from the ground up more people would enjoy it and play it. The population numbers support the fact that the Halo 4 MP design experiment didn't work.

The masses are too stupid to go out of the box and play a community variant that mirrors the more satisfying design of Halo's of the past. They just play whats on the top of the MM playlist with the most players, get invested in the stupid career progression and don't realize a better, more well designed way of playing Halo is out there.

I have always hated the idea that Halo can be designed to please everyone, and tons of playlists can satisfy everyone's needs. It's not true, somewhere in the core design of the game you chose an allegiance to a certain style of play. In Halo 4, that was the Infinity Slayer mindset, every other playlist is just struggling to recover from the ramifications of that initial design philosophy.

I agree with what you say, more than you realise, but many here post like there is only 10% of Halo 4 valid. There is a large percentage of play styles to be covered by next Halo title or iterative playlists.

malfcn

Are they going to let Halo 4 sit at 1750 in achievements or bump it to 2000 with something else? Maybe we have to wait and see. They are releasing the skins with the McF figures, so maybe they have other content coming too.

I've never seen any of the Hannibal movies but I'm thoroughly enjoying the show.
The best network drama easily.

Also, camo ability is terrible. No excuses!
Stealth in competitive multiplayer should always be about movement decisions, not actual invisibility.
It is fully possibly to have a stealthy playstyle in Halo with camo as an armor ability.

GloveSlap

Camo is like Armor Lock (or camo obviously) in Halo Reach. Whether it is overpowered or not (it is), it brings the game to a screeching halt and is just plain tedious to play against.

Madness

I'm not insulting anyone or making fun of what kind of player you are, I just can't believe there are fans of Halo who like camo armor ability even though it literally breaks the game. At will invisibility is ridiculous.

It worked as a limited time power up with risk/reward. It doesn't work as an ability you can use whenever you fancy etc.

I use it coupled with stealth and AA efficiency. This means I'm near impossible to hear or spot, I can recharge camo quickly and get the drop on anyone. Oh I just got a beam rifle in ordnance, let me save it till I die and select my camo loadout, and then I'll easily get quick kills.

I'm fine with 1-2 playlists but Reach showed armor abilities are game breaking. Camo in H4 is like armor Lock in Reach.

Obscured

In general is everyone excited or feeling meh about the updates going live on Monday? I'm curious how the feel is going to be, but in general am feeling cautiously optimistic.

blamite

In general is everyone excited or feeling meh about the updates going live on Monday? I'm curious how the feel is going to be, but in general am feeling cautiously optimistic.

I'm mostly interested in how the maps are being changed. If there's actually going to be static weapon spawns I might start playing the game a bit more, since the mas I've enjoyed the most have all been forge maps with static weapon spawns. Hopefully the weapon changes will e good, but the maps will make or break my ability to enjoy them.

The weapon balance update is going to be cool, but definitely not enough to bring back hardcore fans.

I was super excited to see that ordnance is being redone on the maps, that is much more interesting to me.
Games are just boring without that loop of fighting over weapons and powerups.

Lol oh come on, this is actual marketing in 2012???

Duji

Halo 3 is the best Halo game, but I'll agree that its melee isn't the best in the series. I wouldn't really say it's any worse than Reach or 4's though. Still, since melee is such a powerful tool, it should be harder to use successfully.

It was the most complete Halo game with the best ranking system and an awesome population. Best gameplay? Nope.

I'm not insulting anyone or making fun of what kind of player you are, I just can't believe there are fans of Halo who like camo armor ability even though it literally breaks the game. At will invisibility is ridiculous.

It worked as a limited time power up with risk/reward. It doesn't work as an ability you can use whenever you fancy etc.

I use it coupled with stealth and AA efficiency. This means I'm near impossible to hear or spot, I can recharge camo quickly and get the drop on anyone. Oh I just got a beam rifle in ordnance, let me save it till I die and select my camo loadout, and then I'll easily get quick kills.

I'm fine with 1-2 playlists but Reach showed armor abilities are game breaking. Camo in H4 is like armor Lock in Reach.

I'm in agreeance in that my main preference for 75% of games is classic arena style Halo. However I want things like Infinity, AA's and future game designs for some variety and potential to discover new things.

We can't simply stick with the same game and just new graphics and maps 100% of the time. It will stagnate.

I'm in agreeance in that my main preference for 75% of games is classic arena style Halo. However I want things like Infinity, AA's and future game designs for some variety and potential to discover new things.

We can't simply stick with the same game and just new graphics and maps 100% of the time. It will stagnant.

You can stick to the same game as long as you give the fans options.

What I mean is the things like racing, grifball, zombies were made by the community.

Let them dictate where they want to go with the game, I think that makes it special.

I don't want to be told where I'm headed in Halo.

heckfu

Banned

We can't simply stick with the same game and just new graphics and maps 100% of the time. It will stagnant.

stagnate*

personally, I would like to see infinity go foreverrrrr

What I mean is the things like racing, grifball, zombies were made by the community.

Let them dictate where they want to go with the game, I think that makes it special.

...hire juices?

stagnate*

personally, I would like to see infinity go foreverrrrr

Thanks*

Things like the global pods that drop or the 3 selections can stay as I think they're far cooler than previous games where weapons spawn from nowhere. They just need to remove the random choices, make those the same tiered choices for all, remove PO and have a 15 second display timer for all to know where and what is spawning. I'm happy if they are all dynamic spawns and it's broadcast to all. It allows teamwork, dynamic map control and avoids tiny maps with set spawn traps.

To me that is the overall foundation so all other playlists can develop for there. Further choices in restricted loadouts, progress loadouts, AA's and static spawns etc can be specific to playlists. This keeps classic arena, default, hardcore, infinity, grifball etc and nurtures new designs as well.

I've always agreed things were too 343i weighted at launch but 25% of playlists for developers to try, challenge and radically tweak gameplay or maps isn't taking things too far like at launch.

Yes! because that helped Halo 4 become such an amazing success story that cant even manage 30k people 9 months after launch.

And Throwdown had such a return to player retention en masse...

It all needs to be there at launch with new toys as well. Ranked vs. social split would go a long way too.

Madness

I'm definitely going to be playing for several hours. I'm at that point where I'll either keep playing Halo 4 or stop and move on to other games. I've been playing semi regularly since launch, and almost any gaming I've done the past 8 months has been either Halo 4 or The Walking Dead.

I'm excited about the bump to base movement, 4sk BR and the changes to spawn and weapons on launch maps. Plus I can try and get some more majestic achievements I missed last time.

heckfu

Banned
And Throwdown had such a return to player retention en masse...

It all needs to be there at launch with new toys as well. Ranked vs. social split would go a long way too.

Lol, why does it have to be all there? That's part of the problem in Reach and a problem I foresee if you had both. Splitting the TU was just more confusing than ever to the casual player and if you had both I don't see it helping population except splitting it up for whatever playlist is at the top of the page.

Lol, why does it have to be all there? That's part of the problem in Reach and a problem I foresee if you had both. Splitting the TU was just more confusing than ever to the casual player and if you had both I don't see it helping population except splitting it up for whatever playlist is at the top of the page.

I have posted many times that Reach/TU was too splintered so I agree with you there. However in the current to date form some playlist consolidation and a 3 tiered voting structure would suit perfectly e.g. default, pro & infinity.

I'm also a huge advocate of toggles like the BF3 toggles for maps/game type or other settings such as strict party or skill matching and the social vs. ranked split. They give player choice with all the benefits of matchmaking.

I completely disagree with this top of menu mentality too. Do you always order from the top of the menu in drive through or 5 star restaurant? Do you always click the first search result?

IHaveIce

Banned
Nobody says it should be the exact same game but yes it should be the same core gameplay and formula how the weapons work and everything.

It works look at games like COD and Fifa, add new modes like Halo 3 did with theater and forge.

Improve these modes, netcode, fps and graphics and may just get some new weapons THAT MAKE SENSE.

Halo really has a problem that everygame just plays totally different in terms of movement, reload times, jump height and also weapon mechanics. This is just not consistent and bad. They really need to value the sentence "don't fix what is not broken"

Changing the gamestyle just because some idiots in focus groups got shit on or are too dumb to understand mapcontrol is just wrong.

Striker

In 4v4/5v5 settings, the easiest way to control that map is have two guys in middle (one having sniper) and one sitting at Pelican. The other(s) can just use a vehicle.

I can only imagine how terrifyingly bad it is in BTB Infinity Slayer.

It was the most complete Halo game with the best ranking system and an awesome population. Best gameplay? Nope.
qYHmOMh.jpg

Duji

In 4v4/5v5 settings, the easiest way to control that map is have two guys in middle (one having sniper) and one sitting at Pelican. The other(s) can just use a vehicle.

I can only imagine how terrifyingly bad it is in BTB Infinity Slayer.

qYHmOMh.jpg

Oh, you mean the one filled with cheaters? Yeah, definitely.

Race was in Halo 1.

Oh, you mean the one filled with cheaters? Yeah, definitely.

That wasn't the system's fault.. The banhammer was still in its infancy.

-EDIT-

I include the banhammer in the system when I say 'system'.

lol c'mawwwnnnnn, by your logic then Halo 3's ranking system was bad too because of how easily you could abuse it. I'm just saying it's not fair to call the H2 ranking system crappy when it was clearly ahead of its time.

A time where Matchmaking was first invented, in fact.

Top Bottom