• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Duji

lol c'mawwwnnnnn, by your logic then Halo 3's ranking system was bad too because of how easily you could abuse it. I'm just saying it's not fair to call the H2 ranking system crappy when it was clearly ahead of its time.
A time where Matchmaking was first invented, in fact.
Yeah, the H3 system was also bad. All I'm saying is that it was a lot better than H2's. And yes, it was ahead of its time. lol

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh, you mean the one filled with cheaters? Yeah, definitely.
And you the one with boosters and derankers? And if you played too much social and got too much exp it would get a lot harder to rank up in ranked?

;)

Every sytlstem has it flaws but in the bigger picture the positive things out of these ranking systems overweigh.

Both were good.
Edit: goddamn beaten

FyreWulff

Pretty sure EXP (finished games) doesn't matter in which playlist earned affected the speed of skillrank going up

Every playlist's skill progression has been isolated from each other since Halo 2.

What you might be seeing is confirmation bias from the fact that you got better from playing other lists, so starting a new list seemed like you were ranking faster, you were just winning more consistently than when you were first playing.

DeadNames

Banned
Armour abilities, perks, weapon placement/spawn system and the overuse of DMR's mainly.

dmrs red redicule range is being reduced, br is a 4 shot, and the carbine takes one less round to kill. automatics also are buffed. scoped lr has a rof buff.

right now it seems like the dmr is the guy awkwardly standing in a corner at a party.

IHaveIce

Banned
Every playlist's skill progression has been isolated from each other since Halo 2.

What you might be seeing is confirmation bias from the fact that you got better from playing other lists, so starting a new list seemed like you were ranking faster, you were just winning more consistently than when you were first playing.

But it was the other way round for me.

I started playing Halo3 and got in a short time a 30 in lone wolves, then played nothing but Big Team and Social with friends and guests. After that I could win a 10 streak and only go positive and wouldn't rank up.

But it is all a long time ago now

heckfu

Banned
I completely disagree with this top of menu mentality too. Do you always order from the top of the menu in drive through or 5 star restaurant? Do you always click the first search result?

I can't believe this is an actual argument you tried to use. Amazing.

Ordering food and playing Halo have no correlation other than too much of either will make you a fatty.

FyreWulff

But it was the other way round for me.

I started playing Halo3 and got in a short time a 30 in lone wolves, then played nothing but Big Team and Social with friends and guests. After that I could win a 10 streak and only go positive and wouldn't rank up.

But it is all a long time ago now

K/D didn't matter in Halo 3, only win/losses. If your party had a >10 rank spread (assuming you were playing Ranked BTB) then your wins are deemed very low value by the system (mixed skill game).

Lone Wolves is the fastest to rank up since it's the configuration Trueskill works the best in: FFA. You essentially never play mixed skill games in LW so every win will make you climb faster because you're beating people at or above your rank.

edit: BTB is also just slower in general. TS only needs something like 10 games to figure out your skill in 8player FFA. BTB needs something like 110.

IHaveIce

Banned
K/D didn't matter in Halo 3, only win/losses. If your party had a >10 rank spread (assuming you were playing Ranked BTB) then your wins are deemed very low value by the system (mixed skill game).

Lone Wolves is the fastest to rank up since it's the configuration Trueskill works the best in: FFA. You essentially never play mixed skill games in LW so every win will make you climb faster because you're beating people at or above your rank.

edit: BTB is also just slower in general. TS only needs something like 10 games to figure out your skill in 8player FFA. BTB needs something like 110.

Ok wow, didn't know that all lol. Shit should have kept playing Lone Wolves, why did I stop?

Ah yes, Swords in Ranked FFA was one of the reasons ugh

Duji

I can't believe this is an actual argument you tried to use. Amazing.

Ordering food and playing Halo have no correlation other than too much of either will make you a fatty.

I bet a shit ton of people don't even know what the first item is on the McDonald's menu (quarter pounder if I were to guess).

FyreWulff

One of the TUs did add that Slayer gametype. First time it's ever happened. Wasn't mentioned publically from what I remember, it was just there.

heckfu

Banned
I bet a shit ton of people don't even know what the first item is on the McDonald's menu (quarter pounder if I were to guess).

But it's probably most ordered, don't you think? I mean...it's number ONE! I'm not being sarcastic, either, I would honestly believe that first menu item at McDonald's would be the most ordered.

se7ensins modders are looking for a name for their yet to be released gametype editor, can't be Guilty Spark or Composser.

If you gys have any idea leave it and I'll let them know, or just post it here by yourself ;)

Kornman also released a CTF gameype which lets you tweak some new options and choose between Multi, One or Neutral flag.

This variant of CTF re-enables the 'Sides' option from previous games, giving you the ability to not only play standard 'multi' flag, but also One-Flag and Neutral Flag.

On top of this, there is support for all eight teams. However, it requires the map to also have such support for the CTF objects.

Two other new variant options include:
Flag Pickup Radius: Select how narrow or wide the automatic pickup radius is for enemies of the flag.

Capture Bro Radius: It's good to play together. So when you see your buddy carrying the flag, it may be worth while to stick close to him. Within this radius, "Capture Bro Traits" (see below) will be applied. The default radius is twice that of Flag Pickup Radius

Three new player traits have been added, although one isn't tweakable using the standard game (engine only exposes the first four variant player traits, even though the variants support up to 16):
"Aggro" Traits: In all game modes, when a team's flag is away, these traits will then be applied to players on that team. The only change I made with this trait is applying the 'flood' visual effect, to give a "seeing red" sense.

Capture Bro Traits: Players within the Capture Bro radius gain these traits. The only change I made with this trait is applying the 'damage boost' visual effect, to give a clear indication of who may be sporting extra traits. A better option may have been to just have Waypoints visible to all, so as to not confuse actual damage boosted players within the Capture Bro radius.

Offense/Defense Traits: These only apply in One-Flag (the original Assault). Offensive teams get Offense traits. The team on Defense gains the defense traits (this is the trait that can't be edited ingame).

I was wanting to add a few more definable options and tweaks (eg, an object filter which would delete certain objects when not playing One Flag), but people have been really asking for neutral flag lately so I figure I would release what has been at least tested.

Ending notes:
The newly added traits don't change anything except where noted. So you can play this CTF variant like 'normal' without having to perform much cleanup. All the traits should be setup to where they will stack, unlike some other traits in other variants. So in One-Flag, the Defensive team could gain both Defense Traits and Aggro Traits. Likewise, Offensive team players within the Capture Bro radius could have both the Offense and Capture Bro Traits. I figured this would give better 'custom' gameplay.
There can be multiple offensive teams in One-Flag. If there's enough rounds as teams, each team should get a chance to play defense.
I tried to keep as many options as I could localized to other languages using what the game and other variants have used.

Good to be back.

G17

Quinn just tweeted, in about 16 hours

Thanks. I'm really excited for the changes but the SAW buff when it was already overpowered without reducing auto aim, and lack of Beam/Incineration/Needler nerfs surprise me.

On a whole though, the game should be much better making the DMR less effective from long ranges.

Thanks. I'm really excited for the changes but the SAW buff when it was already overpowered without reducing auto aim, and lack of Beam/Incineration/Needler nerfs surprise me.

On a whole though, the game should be much better making the DMR less effective from long ranges.

One thing most of my friends never liked about Halo was the fact that a lot of the guns always felt underpowered. This should definitely help.

gAg CruSh3r

+4 Over Kill

360329CA-6B0A-4317-95B9-0D45FA716DD5-32002-0000035709460496.jpg

Top Bottom