• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

But it's probably most ordered, don't you think? I mean...it's number ONE! I'm not being sarcastic, either, I would honestly believe that first menu item at McDonald's would be the most ordered.
Realistically, it's the tried and true items that probably get ordered the most. Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Chicken McNuggets, McChicken and anything on the value menu. These names are established and ingrained into the minds of McDonalds customers. I'd wager that these are ordered way more than the arguably superior Angus burgers.

It's the same with Halo. People are looking for Team Slayer and Big Team Battle, established and recognized playlist names. They're absent, so they look for the next closest thing, Infinity Slayer, Big Team Infinity Slayer. Team Throwdown is the Angus burger here, it's different, unrecognizable, foreign, so they don't want it, but we all know it's better.

heckfu

Banned
Realistically, it's the tried and true items that probably get ordered the most. Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Chicken McNuggets, McChicken and anything on the value menu. These names are established and ingrained into the minds of McDonalds customers. I'd wager that these are ordered way more than the arguably superior Angus burgers.

It's the same with Halo. People are looking for Team Slayer and Big Team Battle, established and recognized playlist names. They're absent, so they look for the next closest thing, Infinity Slayer, Big Team Infinity Slayer. Team Throwdown is the Angus burger here, it's different, unrecognizable, foreign, so they don't want it, but we all know it's better.

Oh, that's a much better point than I made.

Well the comparison is also totally stupid because I don't have to pay anything to enter any playlist and certain playlists don't cost less to play than others.

FyreWulff

I'm going to E3, I hope there's something Halo-y on the floor.

I'm going to show up to an E3 that's all Kinectimals, aren't I

5147417162_e5dabc5323.jpg

Gross. However ODST Firefight was the best addition to Halo ever.

Still wish Crater had actually been usable in Reach. Complete with the club music.

From the arguments you make, the person who not only needs to grow up but also be realistic is you.

Aren't you the one that quit this place to never return?

1. Different thread, this isn't your community thread, check the title and once again try reading and comprehending correctly.

2. This is also isn't HolaGAF, take your meta discussion and closed points of view along with your personal insults over there thanks. Oh that's right it's exactly this sort of behaviour that got your community OT closed...*mods: I personally feel a reminder this Halo 4 OT shouldn't degrade into the same old community OT. Such posters should be warned or dealt with IMO.

3. Here's a poster that agrees with what y'all say for 75% of their games but no that's apparently not in the interest of the wider/silent gaming audience. Nope you have to shit on a different point of view until all have one opinion. Try selling that to someone else.

4. I can't believe you think the menu order stops players from actually trying or picking different options in a game. Show me some factual proof of this, in any walk of life thanks.

Havok

Well the comparison is also totally stupid because I don't have to pay anything to enter any playlist and certain playlists don't cost less to play than others.
The idea is still the same, barrier to entry. The monetary cost is replaced by a prerequisite skill, teamplay, and knowledge wall. The analogy isn't perfect, but it works.

4. I can't believe you think the menu order stops players from actually trying or picking different options in a game. Show me some factual proof of this, in any walk of life thanks.
Here you go: Anniversary Squad was originally at the top of the Anniversary subsection (which itself was the top of the subsection listing), and Anniversary Classic was below it with half the population. The placements swapped overnight, and so did the populations almost to a T with Classic doubling Squad. Good enough? Visibility is important.

I'd take either over TRIPLE KILL in the centre of the screen while a bundle of eye-squintingly tiny 'medals' scurry away faster than roaches from bug spray.
So true. The numbers on the timer are also way too small. I play on a 42", but I have to sit about 9 feet away due the room shape and layout and I have to squint to see the numbers. Not exactly ideal if you're trying to time weapon drops. Never had a problem in Reach.

Booshka

All you casuals and your big screen TV's. Sit in an office chair 3 feet away from a 22-24 inch monitor and play like a Pro.

Seriously though, I hate playing MP shooters on anything bigger than a 32 in. Shadowrun is damn near impossible on big ass HDTV's the reticule is huge.

Madness

I think placement makes a huge difference especially when it comes to generic playlists like slayer. Example, SWAT, anyone who sees it knows what they are getting. Randoms/casuals know what it is, and fans of it know to search all the way to the bottom.

For someone who just wants to play Slayer or Big Team, they'll pick the first one they see, especially when it has the higher population.

You could move Team Throwdown to the top and it still wouldn't get as many people as Infinity Slayer. But if you moved Team Throwdown to the top and called it Team Slayer, you'd perhaps see it gain nearly 2-3 times as many people instantly. People need the slayer name and placement helps quite a bit.

Obscured

All you casuals and your big screen TV's. Sit in an office chair 3 feet away from a 22-24 inch monitor and play like a Pro.

Seriously though, I hate playing MP shooters on anything bigger than a 32 in. Shadowrun is damn near impossible on big ass HDTV's the reticule is huge.

I love playing through campaign with rumble on on a big tv (still with headphones), and I used to like playing that same way through MP and dying and dying and dying. Now I play MP with not rumble on a 26" monitor and it is more enjoyable (though I still die plenty).

Looks like I missed some dust-up going on, but in terms of playlists, why is there never either any in-game or waypoint in-depth run through of the different lobbies? When something new comes up there is usually something in the bulletin, but the playlist info on waypoint is light on info. Feels like an opportunity to close some gaps in communication.

Playing with a few different people I have seen more varied reactions than I would have expected with slayer pro. I like both the infinity and the pro variant, they flow different and I have a different approach but find both enjoyable, but some of the people I've played with hate pro and never want to touch throwdown (so I have to go in by myself and get destroyed). I find it surprising as these are players I would have expected to really like that variant based on what I've played with them previously, it is weird to see them hate to see all three voting options come up as pro where as I am happy to mix it up.

I've seen the idea that Throwdown is superior to Infinity and people are too dumb to realize it. I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that it is just that these masses are ignorant of how much fun and joy they could be experiencing and if they just gave it a shot their lives would improve immeasurably. But how many games would you need to convince a newcomer to the experience to play before they 'got' it?

Madness

It comes down to 'convenience'. Why would people play throwdown which mimics classic Halo when they can play infinity slayer which is meant to mimic CoD? They get to pick perks, change loadouts and then get weapons dropped at their feet.

Team play, map control, etc. All gone for a straight back and forth dong fest. You sprint, shoot, die, respawn, repeat. You can use sweet abilities like flight or invisibility, use perks like infinite sprint, ammo, ordnance reroll.

So someone who is used to playing Infinity for a couple months, where they get free power weapons each match, don't have to worry much about team work, or let's face it skill, are then going to play throwdown and, especially with randoms, see that they only start off with a BR and unless they know the spawns, aren't going to get free snipers or rockets etc. They can't use abilities like jet pack or camo, they can't equip ammo mod to get 6 incineration cannon shots, etc.

343 has forever changed Halo in my opinion. Now a lot of people, including damn reviewers at sites like IGN are going to expect Infinity playlists and the ordnance/loadout system in all future games. In OddOnes locked thread, we had a guy come in and start screaming obscenities because Slayer Pro was put into Infinity.

With reach and now 4, what was once regular Halo, is now a niche. Given a 'classic' or 'pro' moniker.

It comes down to 'convenience'. Why would people play throwdown which mimics classic Halo when they can play infinity slayer which is meant to mimic CoD? They get to pick perks, change loadouts and then get weapons dropped at their feet.

Team play, map control, etc. All gone for a straight back and forth dong fest. You sprint, shoot, die, respawn, repeat. You can use sweet abilities like flight or invisibility, use perks like infinite sprint, ammo, ordnance reroll.

So someone who is used to playing Infinity for a couple months, where they get free power weapons each match, don't have to worry much about team work, or let's face it skill, are then going to play throwdown and, especially with randoms, see that they only start off with a BR and unless they know the spawns, aren't going to get free snipers or rockets etc. They can't use abilities like jet pack or camo, they can't equip ammo mod to get 6 incineration cannon shots, etc.

343 has forever changed Halo in my opinion. Now a lot of people, including damn reviewers at sites like IGN are going to expect Infinity playlists and the ordnance/loadout system in all future games. In OddOnes locked thread, we had a guy come in and start screaming obscenities because Slayer Pro was put into Infinity.

With reach and now 4, what was once regular Halo, is now a niche. Given a 'classic' or 'pro' moniker.
With CE, 2 & 3 being classic where Reach & 4 are progression with customisation I agree they are to be expected as playlists in future titles. Just like infection & Grifball developed.

For relatability I would like only 25% Infinity based, 25% Reach and the rest of 50% classic arena based. I would be quite happy with that split combined with toggles and ranked vs. social. A universal sandbox is required to avoid splintered settings though, just as Heckfu posted. I think the recent Halo changes and variants are getting close to this sort of setup.

Spawnling

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/2/4389536/microsoft-registers-halo-spartan-assault-domains

Microsoft has allegedly registered several "Halo Spartan Assault" domains for an unknown project, Fusible reports.

The company has reportedly registered the domains by way of DNStination Inc., a privacy service for MarkMonitor, of which Microsoft is a client. Claimed domains include SpartanAssault.net, HaloSpartanAssault.com, Halo-SpartanAssault.com, Halo-SpartanAssault.net and HaloSpartanAssault.net. MarkMonitor has previously reserved Halo-related domains for Halo 7, Halo 8 and Halo 9.

It's still unclear what Halo Spartan Assault refers to. We have contacted Microsoft for comment and will update accordingly.

Microsoft recently confirmed an upcoming Halo project called "Bootcamp." In a statement sent to Polygon, Microsoft called it "a project we're very enthusiastic about and will have more to say about in the near future." During the Xbox One reveal, Microsoft announced that it would create a live action TV series based on the Halo series as well.

Hmmm

daedalius

Nah, I'll keep playing on my 60" with attached home theatre system.

Why would I ever play anything on some tiny little 24" screen?

keep going neg

QQ

heckfu

Banned

i play on my home theater system too, couldn't imagine having to play on a small screen and being all serious.

gAg CruSh3r

i play on my home theater system too, couldn't imagine having to play on a small screen and being all serious.

I have a 60inch led/1080p tv that I can't play fps to well on. luckily I have a 42inch that is easier and better to play on for fps.

Whenever I go to LANs I have a 22inch monitor I use for it. I feel like I can concentrate much better when I play then the 42inch.

se7ensins modders are looking for a name for their yet to be released gametype editor, can't be Guilty Spark or Composser.

If you gys have any idea leave it and I'll let them know, or just post it here by yourself ;)

Kornman also released a CTF gameype which lets you tweak some new options and choose between Multi, One or Neutral flag.

Good to be back.

Give the community all the proper tools and Halo will last much longer.

The idea is still the same, barrier to entry. The monetary cost is replaced by a prerequisite skill, teamplay, and knowledge wall. The analogy isn't perfect, but it works.

Here you go: Anniversary Squad was originally at the top of the Anniversary subsection (which itself was the top of the subsection listing), and Anniversary Classic was below it with half the population. The placements swapped overnight, and so did the populations almost to a T with Classic doubling Squad. Good enough? Visibility is important.

Mehhhh, what about SWAT in Halo 4? You have to scroll down to see it and it still pulls a good portion of the population.

Right now SWAT has over 3,000 players and is the third most popular playlist while in the last spot.

I think placement makes a huge difference especially when it comes to generic playlists like slayer. Example, SWAT, anyone who sees it knows what they are getting. Randoms/casuals know what it is, and fans of it know to search all the way to the bottom.

For someone who just wants to play Slayer or Big Team, they'll pick the first one they see, especially when it has the higher population.

You could move Team Throwdown to the top and it still wouldn't get as many people as Infinity Slayer. But if you moved Team Throwdown to the top and called it Team Slayer, you'd perhaps see it gain nearly 2-3 times as many people instantly. People need the slayer name and placement helps quite a bit.

Yeah I agree with most of this. It has more to do with the labeling and content of the playlists rather than the just the positioning.

Fotos

http://gamingbolt.com/halo-5-is-microsoft-preparing-a-reveal-at-e3

So maybe that leak a while back about a Halo Co-op prequel was right.

Leak:
I don't think this has been posted.

Another prequel?
http://pastebin.com/WYBaRtE3

Chief will be in attendance at Launch. Possibly saved for E3, but Microsofts biggest games will not miss launch when they are going head to head with Sony. While not quite an original story, you'll play various missions from the Chief's career before Halo 1 in a squad based co op shooter. Think Halo x Borderlands in many ways - the character creation and upgrade system from Halo 4 is being carried over but will be pat of the campaign). Think spartan ops on steroids.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
se7ensins modders are looking for a name for their yet to be released gametype editor, can't be Guilty Spark or Composser.

If you gys have any idea leave it and I'll let them know, or just post it here by yourself ;)

Kornman also released a CTF gameype which lets you tweak some new options and choose between Multi, One or Neutral flag.

Good to be back.

Just downloaded it. Can't believe it's possible to change the menu stuff. I have high hopes for future gametypes.

Lol, you can change the radii to Louis WU.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Kornman was the same guy who did OpenSauce for Custom Edition wasn't he?

Yeah, I think so.

So, I was messing around with Neutral Flag. The Crimson maps all support it (though it's broken on Wreckage), and I don't think any of the Majestic and Castle maps support it. I'm guessing Crimson was supposed to be in the game, but they cut it (which also explains the Teleporter and Hacker abilities on Harvest).

Top Bottom