• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

I5CharactersMax

Neo Member
Nothing's changed BTB wise, still DMRs everywhere (which i have no problem with). 4v4 is delicious though, you dont notice the slower rate of fire on the BR at all - was it even changed? faster movement is good and the Carbine is fantastic.

Havok

The map changes are interesting so far, Solace aside. Adrift moved to snipers at mancannons and an overshield in the middle. Haven is now sword in middle, sniper at open ramp, and conc rifle below mohawk. Exile has a delayed-spawn Incineration Cannon on top of the center wreckage, a Sticky Detonator at Banshee port, and a Beam Rifle in the tank cave...as well as an overturned Gauss Hog in the middle of the map, which I think is a huge mistake.

Looking in Forge, Global Ordnance drop points have been almost completely removed (the conc rifle on Haven is a stacked initial drop with a "never" resupply time with a conc-only GO drop point on top of it for whatever reason and there's a single Incineration Cannon GO point in the middle of Exile, but those are the only two). Looks like that particular "innovation" has been quashed for good.

Okay, so I tried it out. Carbine is AWESOME. I was having so much fun with it that I didn't bother trying out the BR.

The game's getting better, and that's great to see.

Nebula

Nothing's changed BTB wise, still DMRs everywhere (which i have no problem with). 4v4 is delicious though, you dont notice the slower rate of fire on the BR at all - was it even changed? faster movement is good and the Carbine is fantastic.

I expected BTB to still be a pile of crap post WTU so that's no surprise. Looks like 4 v 4 is the way to play. Anyone tried out FFA yet? I could see 2 shot melee being a huge issue there.

Striker

Yep. Love it. Good job team.

CTF on Exile is nice, they moved the flags into the actual bases.
The issues there have been spawns. Blue's primary spawns are behind the large rock and in the large, open field where you'll struggle to stay alive.

Now there's a Gauss on a small map with no cover?

The map changes are interesting so far, Solace aside. Adrift moved to snipers at mancannons and an overshield in the middle. Haven is now sword in middle, sniper at open ramp, and conc rifle below mohawk. Exile has a delayed-spawn Incineration Cannon on top of the center wreckage, a Sticky Detonator at Banshee port, and a Beam Rifle in the tank cave...as well as an overturned Gauss Hog in the middle of the map, which I think is a huge mistake.

Looking in Forge, Global Ordnance drop points have been almost completely removed (the conc rifle on Haven is a stacked initial drop with a "never" resupply time with a conc-only GO drop point on top of it for whatever reason and there's a single Incineration Cannon GO point in the middle of Exile, but those are the only two). Looks like that particular "innovation" has been quashed for good.

This is really great to hear. I'll try it out later tonight.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

give it some time. bet there will be quite a bit more weapon variety as people learn the new weapon roles.

Havok

It's harder to aim now, though. Same with the other automatics.
I don't believe that's the case. The only documented update to the SAW (see: last week's bulletin) was the damage buff. Given that it already had really high range, heavy bullet magnetism with lots of leeway with its sticky reticule, a massive magazine, and high damage...it really didn't need a damage buff to keep its role.

Now, if they had made it significantly harder to use, it would be a different story. As it is, its just a really idiotproof close/mid range ambush monster.
Have you used it? It really does feel tougher. Could just be me, though.
Yeah, a couple times this morning. It wasn't noticeably harder to me, but it absolutely melted people that were anywhere near me. I'd like to be wrong on this, but I think the buff was the only change. I'd be surprised if they changed it but omitted that change in last week's bulletin.

I don't believe that's the case. The only documented update to the SAW (see: last week's bulletin) was the damage buff. Given that it already had really high range, heavy bullet magnetism with lots of leeway with its sticky reticule, a massive magazine, and high damage...it really didn't need a damage buff to keep its role.

Have you used it? It really does feel tougher. Could just be me, though.

I'd love to shit on 343 and say "We told you so," but I'm glad they're at least trying to fix some of this shit.

Some random asked what exactly 343 changed cause he was dying a lot, and I sent him to waypoint. Suggestion to 343 for next game: Build in a LATEST NEWS menu option and put the important bulletin information there.

Fotos

I'd love to shit on 343 and say "We told you so," but I'm glad they're at least trying to fix some of this shit.

Some random asked what exactly 343 changed cause he was dying a lot, and I sent him to waypoint. Suggestion to 343 for next game: Build in a LATEST NEWS menu option and put the important bulletin information there.

That's actually a really good idea. Have it on the main menu like the Battlefield 3 News Feed.

Nebula

That's actually a really good idea. Have it on the main menu like the Battlefield 3 News Feed.

Yeah it should be a constant feature on the main menu/Infinity menu. I know some people must just skip the message that pops up just so they can get searching for a game faster. Definitely having it there constantly means fewer people will miss information relating to something as important and game altering as a TU.

At the very least, the Waypoint app should house all this relevant information about multiplayer updates. It would finally make the app useful and informative, and it would be far easier for 343 to just add another pop-up screen to H4 that tells people to head there for more details if they're interested.

gAg CruSh3r

I played a round infinity slayer and I got distroyed. I'm not use to the buff in the BR but it's a good thing. I can tell the rate of fire is a tad slower. Carbine is fun to use. Pistol is worth using because of the buff.

TCKaos

So does the update actually change the gameplay or does it simply mean not everyone is using the DMR all the time?

Ehh. I'm seeing more BRs and Carbines, but the biggest changes are the new weapon spawns and the increased movement speed. It's going to take getting used to after three or so years of Reach and 4's movement speed. I managed to go +2, -2, -11 in the three games I just played, so that's encouraging I guess (hooray truskill).

I also think there might have been some stealth fixes, too. I could have sworn the Railgun took longer to charge but it might have seemed that way because everything else was faster.

Nebula

Ehh. I'm seeing more BRs and Carbines, but the biggest changes are the new weapon spawns and the increased movement speed. It's going to take getting used to after three or so years of Reach and 4's movement speed. I managed to go +2, -2, -11 in the three games I just played, so that's encouraging I guess (hooray truskill).

I also think there might have been some stealth fixes, too. I could have sworn the Railgun took longer to charge but it might have seemed that way because everything else was faster.

Lengthening the Railgun charge would be a silly thing to do with the increase in kill times elsewhere.

I5CharactersMax

Neo Member
give it some time. bet there will be quite a bit more weapon variety as people learn the new weapon roles.

Dont get me wrong, I had/have no issue with the DMR pre or post patch - Its a good consistant weapon, I like that.

Anyone tried out FFA yet? I could see 2 shot melee being a huge issue there.

I played a couple of games - no issue personally with the two shot beatdown. That may change however...

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Have any of the frame-rate issues been addressed with regards to split-screen multiplayer ? My gf and I couldn't stand map rotations that had us at a disadvantage due to subpar fps performance in split screen.

Nebula

I played a couple of games - no issue personally with the two shot beatdown. That may change however...

I think we will know all we need to know in 2-4 weeks. People will begin to learn what's the best weapon to use, and how to abuse the more OP stuff. Now we play the waiting game I guess and hope 343 jumps on any issues that arise.

TCKaos

I think we will know all we need to know in 2-4 weeks. People will begin to learn what's the best weapon to use, and how to abuse the more OP stuff. Now we play the waiting game I guess and hope 343 jumps on any issues that arise.

I still think the movement speed increase is too much, unless 343 decides to disable Sprint completely after being damaged instead of just slowing you down. I lost out on so many kills or got mopped up by other teams in full parties because I would open up on someone only for them to immediately just make a mad dash for the nearest corner.

Nebula

I still think the movement speed increase is too much, unless 343 decides to disable Sprint completely after being damaged instead of just slowing you down. I lost out on so many kills or got mopped up by other teams in full parties because I would open up on someone only for them to immediately just make a mad dash for the nearest corner.

To be fair I think strafe acceleration needs to be changed to a near instant full speed movement, and sprint removed. Not a fan of sprint in Halo at all. Makes the devs create larger maps when they are only made larger for one mechanic, and it causes other mechanics to suffer in most cases. Movement speed at 110% is something I have yet to experience. I'll get back to you on that.

Fuchsdh

Well, since MS wants to push the congruence features, I'd definitely say they should put a link that opens up either waypoint or IE for this stuff. Getting more casual players involved is a good thing I think.

willow ve

Well, since MS wants to push the congruence features, I'd definitely say they should put a link that opens up either waypoint or IE for this stuff. Getting more casual players involved is a good thing I think.
Or force it to open the smartglass app on a connected device.

Top Bottom