• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Fuchsdh

I love this straw man. No one here has ever proposed we keep the formula exactly the same and only update the graphics. Can this die already?

Um, lots of people here say that with the comments along the lines of "give me Halo 2 with fixed glitches and better netcode. On second thought, forget the glitches".

Fracas

#fuckonami
I just want Halo 3 with a hitscan BR and a nerfed AR+melee combo.

But I'll gladly take a new Halo game with fresh ideas, as long as they don't infringe on the core mechanics.

FyreWulff

I just want Halo 3 with a hitscan BR and a nerfed AR+melee combo.

But I'll gladly take a new Halo game with fresh ideas, as long as they don't infringe on the core mechanics.

I'd like to have the netcode but retain the leading, and implement the functionality Elites have while using their weapons in reach where there's a leading indicator

that was pretty cool, shame only the Elites could do it
I think

Button glitches/combos are a form of skill in an FPS, didn't you know?
It can be, depends on how it is implemented.

There are a lot of advanced techniques in Smash Bros Melee that casuals whine about, but the competitive community embraced it and high level play requires a shit ton of skill. All the SF4 and MvC3 players I know consider Melee a more skillful game.

I don't want button combos in Halo because I'm too lazy to learn them and I don't want to have to learn them just to compete at a basic level. But it could be good if an FPS was designed around the mechanic.

It can be, depends on how it is implemented.

There are a lot of advances techniques in Smash Bros Melee that casuals whine about, but the competitive community embraced it and high level play requires a shit ton of skill. All the SF4 and MvC3 players I know consider Melee a more skillful game.

I don't want button combos in Halo because I'm too lazy to learn them and I don't want to have to learn them just to compete at a basic level. But it could be good if an FPS was designed around the mechanic.

I'm not sure I actually want this in Halo but I would like it play tested to see if it's any good...Here's what I came up with regarding a new melee system and limited combos

Just make melee have a rock, paper & scissors aspect with one more returning dimension. You know actual in the game manual button combos or standard melees. Nothing fancy and NO 40-hit MK/SF combos either.

1. Melee #1: Usual single standard melee that is quick and will kill when enemy has no shields. Combine with gun fire and then melee to kill.

2. Melee #2: New 3 button combo that takes timing and aiming to "out-do" your enemy using a standard melee or gun fire + standard melee. So you have execute the combo with timing of button sequence, aiming the melee against your enemy and this will trump the enemy standard melee #1. Although mistime it and the standard enemy will win.

3. Melee #3: New counter 3 button combo/block+attack that takes timing and an element of enemy prediction. This only beats the Melee #2 but allows the rock, paper, scissors aspect. Imagine shooting and running at an enemy so they think AR/standard melee, only the attacker uses melee #3 as the counter the the defender using #2. Had the attacker used melee #1 as the finisher they would have lost to melee #2 as a button combo. So there is an element of feinting, reflex and a little luck which can be reduced by player skill or prediction.

4. Melee #4: Return of the one hit kill jumping melee. This bests all other melees in terms of the prediction skill to jump and land a melee where your enemy is going to be. For me this is the most skilled melee and beats all other melee attacks hands down. Force it to be accurate without cheap aim assist/magnestism aspects so it's balanced in terms of the skill required to land it.

5. If enemy is full shields it takes two standard melees (#1), one to drop shields and a second to kill. All other melees are one hit kills (#2, #3 or #4).

6. Assassinations are still present from directly behind, one tap is a quick back whack and holding the melee button does the assassination animation.

7. CRUCIAL TO THESE NEW MELEE MECHANICS: You must bring back the ability to strafe or circle strafe out of enemy melees or sword lunges like you could in Halo 2. This will add more dynamics to the melee, combos and close quarters combat while allowing more balance for the one kit kill melees. If a melee is missed the time to perform a second one would lose to the time taken for two standard melees (#1).

8. Also return the ability to crouch down away from a melee attack. So many melees are aimed at the head and in Halo 2 you could duck an attacking melee. If this was combined with melee #2 it would be a great feature.

So there it is, my 8 steps to a new melee system. It may have a home when put into the sandbox against plasma pistol+beatdown, sprint+double beatdown, boltshot, no-scope+beatdown and all the other CQC mechanics. I feel this would add a layer of skill gap but provide a fair and balanced system that has the elements of skill, prediction and luck for fun. Just like rock, paper & scissors.

This could also apply to campaign, SPOPS or war games potentially.

Further, something ridiculous, you could add one other hold melee button which would combine two team mates in close proximity so it would synchronise their melee attack against a single foe. This could also add animations for team work and perhaps an indicator above your team mate or a colour circle surrounding them so you know where and when to hold your melee button to execute with them. Two teammates combined melee beats any of the aforementioned.

Just some other ideas anyhow, these may just be too ridiculous for actual gameplay. I wonder how they could go in infection or similar gametypes?

Some other notes as this was a thread over at Waypoint at one time...

1. It is technically more canon to follow the books and how Spartans train for hand to hand combat. Makes sense to me.

2. It reads like a lot but my melee ideas are actually quite simple and happen in the blink of an eye. Very similar to Halo 2 button glitches e.g. BXR.

3. If you look at your standard Halo 4 or older games during a single gun-play battle think about what buttons/combos you are in fact already using in say a 1-3 second encounter:

3a) strafe (horizontal left thumbstick)
3b) movement (vertical left thumbstick)
3c) shooting (right trigger)
3d) most likely a grenade (left trigger)
3e) zoom (click right thumbstick)
3f) crouch (click left thumbstick)
3g) jump (A button)
3h) armour ability (left bumper)

In most encounters you are literally using button combos already, I'm just suggesting melee get evolved to include up to say 3 buttons with maybe 2-4 differing melees. It's actually less or equal complexity to normal gun-play+movement in close, mid & long range gun based battles. Taking in to consideration normal gunplay will include multiple strafes, multiple trigger pulls, maybe a grenade, maybe an AA, maybe a jump and most likely zoom with the occasional crouch thrown in.

In no way am I suggesting Halo become Street Fighter but I think there is room for more scenarios when in melee range.

If we're wanting Halo to return to its roots, offer variety of play in playlists and evolve the "classic arena" Halo then we need to be looking at unique ideas that aren't just progression based systems.

Duji

Um, lots of people here say that with the comments along the lines of "give me Halo 2 with fixed glitches and better netcode. On second thought, forget the glitches".

People want a Halo 2 Anni with proper multiplayer. I'm pretty sure no one wants Halo 5 to be an exact copy of Halo 2. And if they said it in that way it's probably out of frustration with these recent games and they don't really mean it. Unless someone comes forward and admits they want H5 to be a H2 clone...

People want a Halo 2 Anni with proper multiplayer. I'm pretty sure no one wants Halo 5 to be an exact copy of Halo 2. And if they said it in that way it's probably out of frustration with these recent games and they don't really mean it. Unless someone comes forward and admits they want H5 to be a H2 clone...

I'd love a Halo 2 HD for sure, but revive Battlefront 3 as a Halo 5 mode, call it Invasion 2.0.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I'd love a Halo 2 HD for sure, but revive Battlefront 3 as a Halo 5 mode, call it Invasion 2.0.

A Battlefront-style gametype plus in-depth weapon and vehicle customization would be the best thing ever. Flamethrower Falcons!

Oh, and pilotable frigates. Game of the year.

I want maps the size of a Dyson Sphere, dammit.

Didn't unreal tournament try adding meeee combat n counters n it was terrible? Possibly ut3 but not sure as I stopped playing after god tier 98 edition

wwm0nkey

Wasn't that Unreal Championship?

I'd really like to see a FPS try to build on Brink's parkour system.

That game was so sad...like it actually upset me to play it :/

If the aiming was better and objectives did not take 10 years to do then it would have been fine.

Ramirez

That game was so sad...like it actually upset me to play it :/

If the aiming was better and objectives did not take 10 years to do then it would have been fine.

Only problem I had with the game was the terrible netcode and the population just wasn't there, so most of the games were bot filled.

Nebula

Very nice looking site.

Sorry to people who wanted me to play this weekend. Got Krieg for BL2 and me and 2 friends decided to go through the game with him.

I'm guessing people will want to run teams today for the update, and I'm up for that but will not be on for another 9 hours (yay work.) Post your darn feedback about the WTU here so I can assume things and shake my fist angrily at my monitor. Thanks!

Give the community all the proper tools and Halo will last much longer.

That's the plan, they'll be releasing a gametype editor which wil let you tweak hidden options, weapon tunning comes to mind.

It'll have an user friendly UI so you won't require programming knowledge to come up wih some CRAZY GAMETYPES

Just downloaded it. Can't believe it's possible to change the menu stuff. I have high hopes for future gametypes.

Lol, you can change the radii to Louis WU.

1 Louis WU = 55 World Units

Kornman was the same guy who did OpenSauce for Custom Edition wasn't he?

Si.

The forums are good to go for mobile and the main site is in the plans.

Nice, hopefully some more original content too :)

Quick tip: tell them to drop this in their head tags for a quick win on the main site, it will still allow zooming too. One second quick bandaid.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

Nebula

Apparently it's up? (via Twitter)

Would make sense. Most Halo updates roll out around 11-12ish UK time.

BL08XSeCIAAEgqK.jpg:large

Madness

Fuck I was so caught up in a television show the whole day, I didn't even realize the update is out. I'll probably test it out in the morning now. Any quick thoughts though for those of you who've been playing?

Has the full Waypoint changelog been posted for today's update? The one that was coming today with the particualr details of each playlist update etc

IHaveIce

Banned
Feels good, but still reeeally fast 110% mov.speed

Automatics aren't OP but teamshooting is like it should be.

Weapons on Haven are nice to see but won't they be too much in infinity? Just played Slayer Pro.

Carbine wrecks shit

willow ve

Feels good, but still reeeally fast 110% mov.speed

Automatics aren't OP but teamshooting is like it should be.

Weapons on Haven are nice to see but won't they be too much in infinity? Just played Slayer Pro.

Carbine wrecks shit

Still don't understand the 110% movement. Unless it improves strafe then who really asked for a slight speed boost? Sprint + Jump with 110% movement looks and feels very weird to me.

Havok

Battle Rifle and Carbine feel really nice now. The Carbine's problem is still going to be ammo, though - I still doubt that players will start using that weapon all that much. The game does feel faster, and the increased movement speed was much-needed.

I did notice (in the one Pro game I've played) is that flinch is more noticeable in BR fights now with the increased power per burst. I never really had too much of a problem with it in Pro before, but it really popped out to me this time. I also saw a lot of trades in 1 on 1 BR fights, which is alarming.

Two shots + melee kill is super dumb, I pulled it off a couple of times and it just felt ridiculous.

Edit: Okay, they removed the Incineration Cannon from Solace and put in a Fuel Rod Cannon. A one shot kill weapon that comes with 15 shots. Goodwill is eroding quickly.

Still don't understand the 110% movement. Unless it improves strafe then who really asked for a slight speed boost? Sprint + Jump with 110% movement looks and feels very weird to me.
I agree. The combination with Sprint and faster movement makes it too fast. I haven't strafed yet or I did not pay attention to it.

Goddamnit, the auto aim is bothersome. Especially if someone stands behind a deployed auto turret...

Battle Rifle and Carbine feel really nice now. The Carbine's problem is still going to be ammo, though - I still doubt that players will start using that weapon all that much. The game does feel faster, and the increased movement speed was much-needed.

I did notice (in the one Pro game I've played) is that flinch is more noticeable in BR fights now with the increased power per burst. I never really had too much of a problem with it in Pro before, but it really popped out to me this time. I also saw a lot of trades in 1 on 1 BR fights, which is alarming.

Two shots + melee kill is super dumb, I pulled it off a couple of times and it just felt ridiculous.

Edit: Okay, they removed the Incineration Cannon from Solace and put in a Fuel Rod Cannon. A one shot kill weapon that comes with 15 shots. Goodwill is eroding quickly. How did this happen?
Yes. Most notably in gametypes where sprint is enabled. I hope 343i is observing it. Bravo defensed the change, but I think 3 shots + melee kill was spot on.

IHaveIce

Banned
Well after a couple of games in different playlists it gets clear the core problems are of course still there.

And is the flinch stronger on the BR now? Felt really awkward

Havok

Meltdown is now in the CTF playlist, apparently. The SAW is ridiculous now, it didn't need the buff.

In what universe would you prefer an Incineration Cannon to a FRG?
Can't we get a third, a-sane-person-might-actually-pick-this option?

I think the Incineration Cannon is poorly-designed, full stop - that's not really the issue here. But I also think that putting a rocket launcher that doesn't have to be reloaded mid-fight because it has a stupidly large magazine that also comes with fifteen shots is also a really dumb thing to put on a map. Frankly, I don't think either of the rocket launcher alternatives are good picks to place on any map. They're both broken in one way or another.

Top Bottom