• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Alchemical

Neo Member
To be fair I think strafe acceleration needs to be changed to a near instant full speed movement, and sprint removed.

This would simultaneously be the greatest thing to happen to this franchise, whilst also being one of the least likely modifications to happen within this trilogy, given the overall direction 343 appears to be heading. Throw in CE levels of aim-assist and kill times and I'd probably dump my girlfriend, quit my job and never turn off my console.

I am all for automatics being really good at close range. They seemed just about right in base Halo 4, with the exception of the suppressor which was a little underpowered. However the change list makes them sound a bit too good now outside their intended range. Especially the assault rifle, which was already fairly useful at mid range.

Hopefully the suppressor is actually good now though, I love the sound and look of that thing.

Edit: wait they brought back classic weapon spawns? SERIOUSLY? As in respawning, fixed location ordnance? If so that is awesome, now they just have to bring back One flag CTF and I may actually want to play this game now.

Karl2177

This would simultaneously be the greatest thing to happen to this franchise, whilst also being one of the least likely modifications to happen within this trilogy, given the overall direction 343 appears to be heading. Throw in CE levels of aim-assist and kill times and I'd probably dump my girlfriend, quit my job and never turn off my console.
Until you realize that the infrastructure isn't developed enough, while you're begging for your job back and your girlfriend has found another dude. RIP in peace All the Chemicals.

Onikaan

Carbine, Mmhmmm.

We're getting there. There were about 6 fuel rod canons in that one game of BTI, so that playlist is still out.

Going to try Domination and CTF.

Eh, kinda wish 343 wasn't making such a big deal out of this. Dice makes updates to BF3 all the time. They should have just mentioned a change log off hand in the bulletin and be done with it. This is just silly.

Eh, kinda wish 343 wasn't making such a big deal out of this. Dice makes updates to BF3 all the time. They should have just mentioned a change log off hand in the bulletin and be done with it. This is just silly.

I think its PR to try and win people back. Halo 4 needs something to bring people back. 4 Shot BR is not going to be that but its something I suppose.

daedalius

Eh, the guns in BF3 are all so samey, its hardly noticeable when they make changes.

So what is the verdict? Does the combination of static weapon spawns and faster kill times and movement work well? Also, is strafe affected by the movement speed? Is it faster, or the same, or is there more momentum to it making it slower?

As soon as they announce workable split screen multiplayer, they will have droves of fans coming back.

You know, this is something a lot of people here overlook. What has Halo done in the last 10 years that no other shooter was doing? Splitscreen parties going into Matchmaking. COD doesn't do it. Battlefield doesn't do it. What has changed in the last 10 years? They stopped supporting splitscreen adequately. I've played splitscreen for years now. You know what boosts population numbers? 4 players on one box.

I can't say I blame 343 (or any other dev for that matter). You're working with old hardware and trying to optimise it for better graphics and whatnot. Rendering 4 viewports is always going to be a significant challenge but it is crushingly sad to not really be able to play anymore. It's supported but Krow and I are quite immediately at a disadvantage in almost every way possible.

The framerate goes to shit but the EXP system goes out the window. The reticules are weirdly sized. The XBL notifications actually block the bottom player's screen quite considerably (including the reticule).

Whatever about how relevant Halo is in 2013 or how a 5 shot BR killed the game, the lack of splitscreen users is surely a contender for Most Significant Factor.

I like everything about this update besides the movement increase. It feels off with the faster speed, I guess because the game wasn't really designed around that speed.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
You know, this is something a lot of people here overlook. What has Halo done in the last 10 years that no other shooter was doing? Splitscreen parties going into Matchmaking. COD doesn't do it. Battlefield doesn't do it. What has changed in the last 10 years? They stopped supporting splitscreen adequately. I've played splitscreen for years now. You know what boosts population numbers? 4 players on one box.

I can't say I blame 343 (or any other dev for that matter). You're working with old hardware and trying to optimise it for better graphics and whatnot. Rendering 4 viewports is always going to be a significant challenge but it is crushingly sad to not really be able to play anymore. It's supported but Krow and I are quite immediately at a disadvantage in almost every way possible.

The framerate goes to shit but the EXP system goes out the window. The reticules are weirdly sized. The XBL notifications actually block the bottom player's screen quite considerably (including the reticule).

Whatever about how relevant Halo is in 2013 or how a 5 shot BR killed the game, the lack of splitscreen users is surely a contender for Most Significant Factor.

I agree, and in this case, it spills over into next gen. I bought a 360 to play halo. I won't be getting a XONE because of Halo Reach/4. Funny thing is I remember talking to my gf and saying, it's ok we will just play Halo on the new console, should perform significantly better... NOPE.

Back on topic: The changes look fun though.
Ba

lol My man.. My equivalent would be if they brought back the Halo 1 Pistol exactly as it was, then I'd quit life and never move from my sexbox.

Yes, that will be how I'll get my pleasure.

From the official Halo Facebook page in response to the weapon tuning update:

zIGapKM.png

This is what Halo has been reduced to, filling bars.

Fracas

#fuckonami
+BR being 4 shot is great. Probably going to be my new main rifle
+Carbine is now relevant. Not exactly sure what its role is among the other rifles though. Doesn't really excel in any situation
+110% movement speed feels crisper than default

-The SAW buff. I don't know why this or the other automatics were buffed. The AR is now a viable weapon at mid range combat. Really not a fan of these
-Lightrifle might be too good in BTB. Outperforms the DMR in most situations
-I like the new weapon drops, but I feel that they drop too often, especially on the smaller maps

Overall, the tuning is solid, but it still needs further tweaks.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can you elaborate on the AR point?

Its range seems a lot farther than it should be. At least compared to the other automatics. Even at mid range combat (I'm not really sure how to define mid range here), I'd either get killed or close to it by an AR user, even when I'm landing all my shots with another rifle. IMO the aim assist should be lowered further. Hardly noticed a difference there.

Computer

Just played my first game with the 4 shot BR. I loved it. Should have been this way from the start. Did anyone else feel the need to turn up the sensitivity when using the new BR?

They turn it into a show. They could've released the gametypes months ago for people to try out.
How many people who have left Battlefield 3 know about these changes? No one. They don't care anymore.

Most people left Halo 4 because of specific reason. Now the most VG sites are reporting this "ViDoc" and people will watch, and then they'll say "hey, I should give the disc another spin!". It's PR. Let's make 343i a show out of it. I don't care. I want to dong more players, and I will get them through this "show"
From the official Halo Facebook page in response to the weapon tuning update:

zIGapKM.png

This is what Halo has been reduced to, filling bars.
C'mon Barrow! We all know that's your comment.

Top Bottom