• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Ever play BOOM!Ball in Reach's Action Sack? Auto pickup was on in there. World didn't end.

If someone throws a ball at me, your reaction should either anticipate the throw and throw it right back at them, or catch the ball and then take off around a wall and start grabbing time.

I'll just bomb the ball to my teammates and try to live. If I don't, eh, his loss in terms of points.

Ever play BOOM!Ball in Reach's Action Sack? Auto pickup was on in there. World didn't end.

If someone throws a ball at me, your reaction should either anticipate the throw and throw it right back at them, or catch the ball and then take off around a wall and start grabbing time.

lol you think it is that easy? lets see how you like holding the ball when you was shooting at the ball carrier and then that guy kills you. Or lets say you about to shoot the guy as you come around the corner and he hits you with the ball and then kills you. It is going to be a problem.

Either way I will just abuse it until it is updated.

Also why would I play Action Sack?

Victrix

*beard*
Have any of you guys used the Tritton Warhead headset at all? Or any Tritton? They're $500 here but the Halo 4 set is so damn nice. The wireless mic is tempting.

Not great in my experience. Astros are better, and if you want a real set of headphones, get a pair of Sennheisers - they actually make a gaming headset with a mic now.

aFIGurANT

Wow the guy playing for Machinima right now, the dude on the right with no hat, he knows how to play this game. FINALLY A GOOD STREAM (for now).

.shin

Banned
Were it so easy.

Anything is possible if you just Believe™.

ctogH.gif

FyreWulff

lol you think it is that easy? lets see how you like holding the ball when you was shooting at the ball carrier and then that guy kills you. Or lets say you about to shoot the guy as you come around the corner and he hits you with the ball and then kills you. It is going to be a problem.

Either way I will just abuse it until it is updated.

Also why would I play Action Sack?

You'd have played it, you would have played an oddball gametype with autopickup on and people trying to toss it at each other.. after the first two days, it wasn't an OP strategy anymore because it was easy to tell when people were about to do it.

I'll just bomb the ball to my teammates and try to live. If I don't, eh, his loss in terms of points.

Pretty much. I always like when people chasing you in Ball try to preserve their own life. "That's fine, just hang out on the other side of that wall, I'll be over here in this hill/holding the ball, grabbing points. it's coo"

Woorloog

Banned
come on now. she might not be carbon based, but not all aspects of her have to be based on silicon.

There is some genius pun hidden here...

Again, can anyone shed light on the installation process? Prompt like in BF3 for high-rez assets or just conventional disc install?

Guys, guys, bad news from EGM

"These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments. And while I get that 343i was deathly afraid to come in and mess with the elements most consider Halo canon, it’s a lot to ask of us who play other games in the genre to continue to stomach a core most left behind half a decade ago. Mind you, some folks might find the videogame equivalent of being forced to eat your vegetables a comforting alternative to Microsoft putting a dash of modern in their combat, but when stacked up to Dishonored, Far Cry 3, and Black Ops II, Halo 4’s campaign feels as empty and uninspired as its strong, silent protagonist."

What the fuck is that bullshit they are calling a review?

7/10

SWAT gameplay by 343i's David Ellis

http://youtu.be/zS4YntqCbbs?hd=1

Recorded from the San Francisco review event. As much as I could've played, David was more than happy to take the wheel and make the gameplay look slick.

Swat looks fun if not DMR dominated. Also, that map thematically is awesome.. It looks great for 1-flag...oh, fuck.

Schmitty

So, I've stayed out of HaloGAF for the past 6 months after the sour taste I had from the introduction of the multiplayer, but I've been watching single player videos and it is hard to resist.

I have to stop wanting another Halo 2 for MP. I had that time and it will never be replicated on Live again.

I think I'll jump in

DrBo42

Awesome! Found a place that will sell the game early here in Los Angeles. Going to pick up my copy now.

LA GAF:

7228 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA

Woorloog

Banned

"These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments. And while I get that 343i was deathly afraid to come in and mess with the elements most consider Halo canon, it’s a lot to ask of us who play other games in the genre to continue to stomach a core most left behind half a decade ago. Mind you, some folks might find the videogame equivalent of being forced to eat your vegetables a comforting alternative to Microsoft putting a dash of modern in their combat, but when stacked up to Dishonored, Far Cry 3, and Black Ops II, Halo 4’s campaign feels as empty and uninspired as its strong, silent protagonist."

7/10
Reviews ARE subjective... that said, the reviewer clearly does not understand Halo. It is an odd mix of old and new in a world dominated by same thing sold a gazillion times (eh, Halo does this too but that's not the point).

Awesome! Found a place that will sell the game early here in Los Angeles. Going to pick up my copy now.

LA GAF:

7228 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA

Geez, you understand Microsoft reads this thread? Better hurry before MS gives them a call and shuts that loophole.

Victrix

*beard*
This is Machinima Respawn's stream, the biggest sponsor of gaming videos on Youtube, and the quality of their livestream is worse than my personal private stream on Twitch. 'sup with that :(

I'm not really familiar with Youtube streaming though, maybe the quality is just worse.

"These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments.

It's weird-- those "cons" seem like pros to me? Big ticket sequences and "iron sight mechanics" just seems like he's a fan of the kind of redundant shit that should be looked at more closely with a sharply critical eye. That's borderline praising QTE's.

antitrop

It's extremely unrealistic for the reviewer to even attempt to think that 343 had complete creative control over a numbered Halo sequel.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

What a fucking idiot.

That dude clearly doesn't understand what sets Halo apart from other FPS franchises, and should be ashamed that his review missed the complexities of what the Halo sandbox has to offer.

What the **** is that bull**** they are calling a review?
Don't link the review if it's so terrible - it only drives traffic to the site which I'm sure is part of the goal.

Majanew

Banned
Why is Steel, once again, the darkest color available for your Spartan armor? I want black armor dammit. And is what I heard true? 1 flag CTF isn't in?

ElRenoRaven

7/10

Swat looks fun if not DMR dominated. Also, that map thematically is awesome.. It looks great for 1-flag...oh, fuck.

Oh fuck you EGM. I may dislike a lot of what 343 did but not adding iron sights is not one of those things. Seriously I really hate assholes who think that every goddamn shooter has to have a certain checklist of features such as Iron-sights.

aFIGurANT

Don't link the review if it's so terrible - it only drives traffic to the site which I'm sure is part of the goal.

Except quoting verbatim and not attributing a source properly (obviously no one is going to knock in your door for NOT providing a direct link, but still) is a shitty thing to do. EGM has had a lot of ties to Halo in the past with Bungie, too so you can't call them total assholes etc. just like that, either.

Why is Steel, once again, the darkest color available for your Spartan armor? I want black armor dammit. And is what I heard true? 1 flag CTF isn't in?

They've probably tested black and it looks worse than you'd expect, or something. I can imagine black kind of swallowing detail and looking like crap from a distance.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh fuck you EGM. I may dislike a lot of what 343 did but not adding iron sights is not one of those things. Seriously I really hate assholes who think that every goddamn shooter has to have a certain checklist of features such as Iron-sights.
It's cool that he has a preference, but asserting that iron sights are inherently better, and that Halo 4 is worse for not having them, is SOOOOO ignorant.

neoism

Reviews ARE subjective... that said, the reviewer clearly does not understand Halo. It is an odd mix of old and new in a world dominated by same thing sold a gazillion times (eh, Halo does this too but that's not the point).

lol reviews are ridiculous and pointless but damn...shame about egm they were sooo good back in the day... with this point of view though Blops 2 should get a 3/10 iron sights in a halo game.....

ahahahahahhahah

ElRenoRaven

It's cool that he has a preference, but asserting that iron sights are inherently better, and that Halo 4 is worse for not having them, is SOOOOO ignorant.

Oh yea I normally agree. I normally don't let a review piss me off. It's just the attitude though of well it has to have these certain features or it sucks. If every game had the same damn features all the time gaming would be pretty damn boring. God forbid a game doesn't have iron sights. God forbid a game do something different then the others.

Yikes, how do some of these people that know nothing about games get these jobs at fairly "reputable" gaming sites? I guess being a persistent asshole can get you pretty far in the U.S.

Woorloog

Banned
lol reviews are ridiculous and pointless but damn...shame about egm they were sooo good back in the day... with this point of view though Blops 2 should get a 3/10 iron sights in a halo game.....

ahahahahahhahah

EGM tickles my memory... i seem to be recalling it being good name... when?

Rev3rb

"These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments."

GhaleonEB

"These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments.

Sold!

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
I was reading in the community Halo thread a few weeks back and someone posted that you'd be given early access to all the specializations regardless if you got the limited edition or not, provided you bought the game on launch day (or the first few weeks, I believe). I didn't see anything in the OP, but was this ever actually confirmed? Or was it just a rumor?

I was reading in the community Halo thread a few weeks back and someone posted that you'd be given early access to all the specializations regardless if you got the limited edition or not, provided you bought the game on launch day (or the first few weeks, I believe). I didn't see anything in the OP, but was this ever actually confirmed? Or was it just a rumor?

It's confirmed.

Top Bottom