• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Dug

Banned
I was reading in the community Halo thread a few weeks back and someone posted that you'd be given early access to all the specializations regardless if you got the limited edition or not, provided you bought the game on launch day (or the first few weeks, I believe). I didn't see anything in the OP, but was this ever actually confirmed? Or was it just a rumor?
It's true.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yea I normally agree. I normally don't let a review piss me off. It's just the attitude though of well it has to have these certain features or it sucks. If every game had the same damn features all the time gaming would be pretty damn boring. God forbid a game doesn't have iron sights. God forbid a game do something different then the others.
Yeah, totally. Arguing that Halo 4 is worse for not having iron sights shows that this guy doesn't get Halo. There are numerous things that 343 has changed or added that are wide open to critique. Auto flag pick-up, the waypoint over the flag carrier's head, new Covenant art designs, no Promethean vehicles, underwhelming additions to Forge, etc. Those are all complaints I've heard from HaloGAF, and if someone from the forum gave Halo 4 a 7/10 because of those complaints, I wouldn't even blink an eye. But iron sights are totally antithetical to Halo.

Homeboyd

Sure... it's an "italian restaurant"... that's exactly what they want you to think.

lucy-pinder-hot-shots-wink.gif

ElRenoRaven

Yeah, totally. Arguing that Halo 4 is worse for not having iron sights shows that this guy doesn't get Halo. There are numerous things that 343 has changed or added that are wide open to critique. Auto flag pick-up, the waypoint over the flag carrier's head, new Covenant art designs, no Promethean vehicles, underwhelming additions to Forge, etc. Those are all complaints I've heard from HaloGAF, and if someone from the forum gave Halo 4 a 7/10 because of those complaints, I wouldn't even blink an eye. But iron sights are totally antithetical to Halo.

Yup same here. I myself don't like the Covenant weapon sounds, the art design, and several of the gameplay changes like those you mentioned. Had he listed stuff like that I'd not think twice about that 7.

Hulud

That EGM quote is really bad. Why would someone want ANOTHER cod-clone, let alone a Halo branded one? Either it's a troll review for hits, or some people actually believe cod is the epitome of fps-design?

Rev3rb

But..but... you gotta have proper iron sights!

GhaleonEB

I was reading in the community Halo thread a few weeks back and someone posted that you'd be given early access to all the specializations regardless if you got the limited edition or not, provided you bought the game on launch day (or the first few weeks, I believe). I didn't see anything in the OP, but was this ever actually confirmed? Or was it just a rumor?

Hah. I did add it to the OP, but garbled the wording. Updated:

Specializations
Once SR-50 is reached, players next choose one of eight paths, each of which consists of 10 additional ranks, and which unlock their own set of armor, decals, weapon skins and armor mods. Only one Specialization can be worked on at a time, and must be completed before moving to the next.

At launch two are available, with the rest to be unlocked down the road by 343, unless you have early access via marketing promotions (namely the LE edition of the game or playing prior to November 20).​

It originally said, "playing prior to Halo 4". Drafting text at 2:00 AM folks. Don't do it.

Is November 20 the right date? I haven't seen the splash myself.

Hey Zeouterlimits, I found a family run place in town that will sell it. M$ don't get any cuts from here and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. I think you'd be too chicken to go in and ask to buy Halo 4 there though.

1 Cornmarket Row,
Limerick.

But..but... you gotta have proper iron sights!

The worst part is that he says that the lack of iron sights makes Halo's gameplay slow. I am sorry sir, but would you like to tell me what happens once you aim down your sights in CoD?

-Your aiming is instantly slowed.
-You tend to slow down your movement.
-Your fov is taken away.
-You can't jump and navigate terrain as easily.

That view is so contrary to why Halo's aiming mechanics are great. They force you to constantly have aiming in mind, and it allows more freedom when shooting due to it's nature. Strategic jumping and strafing, 2 things you can't do in CoD while aiming down your sights, are what make Halo's mechanics so pure.

Reviews ARE subjective... that said, the reviewer clearly does not understand Halo. It is an odd mix of old and new in a world dominated by same thing sold a gazillion times (eh, Halo does this too but that's not the point).

Yeah, reviews for sure are subjective and I do respect that. I agree that this guy doesn't understand Halo.. thats not to say Halo isn't flexible and can't change at all though. I don't mind if Halo 4 is not their thing and if they didn't dig the game. However, they imply that adding ADS would be an instant improvement and that open environments are a poor design choice? Yeah, ok EGM. That is not constructive criticism, its just asking the game to be something its not, and implying that one option is better than another rather than it being up to taste. For some good constructive criticism read the Edge review

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I know a lot of reviews aren't in yet but Halo 4 is currently the lowest scoring full xbox Halo title on Metacritic with an average of 90.

Halo CE is 97.

Halo 2 is 95.

Halo 3 is 94.

Halo Reach is 91.

Halo 4 is 90.

GloveSlap

The worst part is that he says that the lack of iron sights makes Halo's gameplay slow. I am sorry sir, but would you like to tell me what happens once you aim down your sights in CoD?

-Your aiming is instantly slowed.
-You tend to slow down your movement.
-Your fov is taken away.
-You can't jump and navigate terrain as easily.

That view is so contrary to why Halo's aiming mechanics are great. They force you to constantly have aiming in mind, and it allows more freedom when shooting due to it's nature. Strategic jumping and strafing, 2 things you can't do in CoD while aiming down your sights, are what make Halo's mechanics so pure.

Tons of stuff only works in Call of Duty because of the super quick kill times.

That was part of the problem with Reach. They added some of that COD type stuff and then made the kill times crazy long.

I know a lot of reviews aren't in yet but Halo 4 is currently the lowest scoring full xbox Halo title on Metacritic with an average of 90.

Halo CE is 97.

Halo 2 is 95.

Halo 3 is 94.

Halo Reach is 91.

Halo 4 is 90.

Theres multiple reasons for the downward slope and not necessarily to do with game quality. I mean isnt mgs 3 only 91 on metacritic? Thats widely acknowledged as the best in the series.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'll stop complaining about Brandon Justice's review soon, but I want to point out this quote from an old HaloGAF OT :

ADS in an arena shooter just doesn't make much sense. In an arena shooter, and especially in Halo, you are utilizing movement (jumping, strafing, still headed towards a destination or escape) while engaging in combat with others. ADS would discourage that.

It works well in military shooters were you for the most part, stop moving and aim your weapon in order to shoot opponents.

This comment and the others on that page explain well why iron sights don't make sense for Halo.

Tons of stuff only works in Call of Duty because of the super quick kill times.

That was part of the problem with Reach. They added some of that COD type stuff and then made the kill times crazy long.

And that is one of the main problem with so many of these reviewers drawing comparisons to CoD. Halo and CoD, while both being FPS, are so fundamentally different that you can't just pick and choose features from one not being in the other as a detriment. It would be like a reviewer playing Gears of War and saying something like, "Gears of War has stayed too close to its roots. Titles like the Uncharted series allow full freedom of movement across its environments. Gears fails by continuing the trend of restricting player mobility to roadie runs and waste high cover." That is not how reviews should be done.

Omni

Halo CE is 97.

Halo 2 is 95.

Halo 3 is 94.

Halo Reach is 91.

Halo 4 is 90.
To be fair, quite a few reviewers are so retarded. Asking for things like ADS and whatnot... It's ridiculous. CoD has corrupted the industry.

nillapuddin

Guys, guys, bad news from EGM

"These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments. And while I get that 343i was deathly afraid to come in and mess with the elements most consider Halo canon, it’s a lot to ask of us who play other games in the genre to continue to stomach a core most left behind half a decade ago. Mind you, some folks might find the videogame equivalent of being forced to eat your vegetables a comforting alternative to Microsoft putting a dash of modern in their combat, but when stacked up to Dishonored, Far Cry 3, and Black Ops II, Halo 4’s campaign feels as empty and uninspired as its strong, silent protagonist."

What the fuck is that bullshit they are calling a review?

7/10

wow.

First Comment

"Really hypocritical seeing as you guys gave MW3 a 9.0 and that's been literally the same game since the first modern warfare."

burn.

Pop

Halo CE is 97.

Halo 2 is 95.

Halo 3 is 94.

Halo Reach is 91.

Halo 4 is 90.

Some websites score out of 5. So if they give it a 4 out of 5, that's a 80 in Metacritic. Like we should take Metacritic serious anyway.

Halo CE is 97.

Halo 2 is 95.

Halo 3 is 94.

Halo Reach is 91.

Halo 4 is 90.

It will definitely be better then halo 2 and Halo 3 for me campaign wise. It is already better than Reach multiplayer wise so I am happy.

343 just needs to add a gun into Halo 5 with ADS aiming.. basically a BR with a reflex sight or something to keep that crowd happy. I don't mind ADS, but I really do not think it has a place in Halo.

Halo CE is 97.

Halo 2 is 95.

Halo 3 is 94.

Halo Reach is 91.

Halo 4 is 90.

Yeah, but keep in mind the majority of the reviews are staying positive, around 8-10... I can't say that sounds too bad. I think I will end up enjoying the game a lot.. Ill reflect back to the reviews after I play the game and form my own opinion.

ElRenoRaven

wow.

First Comment

"Really hypocritical seeing as you guys gave MW3 a 9.0 and that's been literally the same game since the first modern warfare."

burn.

Hell even Modern Warefare played a lot like COD 2. I didn't play 3 I hated Treyarch's CODs so I avoided them. I did like IW's though till Modern Warefare 2. That's when I really started to tire of them. I won't say hate because I can still play them but I simply have no interest to.

Fracas

#fuckonami
343 just needs to add a gun into Halo 5 with ADS aiming.. basically a BR with a reflex sight or something to keep that crowd happy. I don't mind ADS, but I really do not think it has a place in Halo.

Yeah, but keep in mind the majority of the reviews are staying positive, around 8-10... I can't say that sounds too bad. I think I will end up enjoying the game a lot.. Ill reflect back to the reviews after I play the game and form my own opinion.

Nonononopleasegodno.gif

Sai-kun

Banned

Halo CE is 97.

Halo 2 is 95.

Halo 3 is 94.

Halo Reach is 91.

Halo 4 is 90.

you know the rankings are meaningless because reach has a higher score than 4

which is wrong

so

i mean

Halo CE is 97.

Halo 2 is 95.

Halo 3 is 94.

Halo Reach is 91.

Halo 4 is 90.

That's hilarious to me which is why reviews are garbage to me in general. Halo2 better than 3? Its not even better than Reach. In which world was that SP or overall game the second best of the franchise? Our world? Wow.

Other than some good MP maps, id put that game straight in the fucking garbage. Its easily the worst one overall. Easily.

The weapons were unbalanced as hell with either the noob combos, the lock ons weapon that dont miss or the amazing dual wielding, oh and lets not forget the smg, brilliant. Then you have some of the worst SP gameplay of all the franchise. Linear, uninteresting, terrible ending. The only saving grace that game has are the MP maps. Thats its that's all. Oh ya, 95 indeed.

Definitely getting this day 1.

Used to play Halo 3 everyday, then stopped. Then got Reach..didn't really like it so I stopped. Kinda getting back into it now for H4.

I was wondering, whats GAF's general consensus on Halo Reach?

Top Bottom