• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

ElRenoRaven

I think Halo with aim down sights would be where I say, "ok, I think I'm out now"

I wouldn't but only under a certain circumstance. I could see it for a Squad based shooter kind of akin to Rainbow Six. Maybe something based off the early years of the Spartans pre armor.

Fracas

#fuckonami
But honestly, as long as it isn't slapped onto a preexisting weapon why not? Let it play the way the ADS crowds wants it to, and let the BR/DMR/etc still play nicely from the hip.

ADS doesn't work well with strafing. Also if ADS makes it in, but hipfire is untouched, reviewers will continue to cry about Halo's "archaic" formula. It's a slippery slope.

I see the fish stick control scheme as a decent enough compromise.

I wouldn't but only under a certain circumstance. I could see it for a Squad based shooter kind of akin to Rainbow Six. Maybe something based off the early years of the Spartans pre armor.

This.
More particularly, a Campaign-only game like ODST. The day ADS makes it into Halo multiplayer is the day Halo truly dies.

Tunavi

Banned
oh shit I found a store selling h4 copies early

424 Kirkland Way, Kirkland, WA

edit:
google review of 343 industries:
"Served inappropriate chicken. Too salty and buttery for my liking."

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Well that's different. I meant from a main Halo game.

Redford

aka Cabbie
ADS doesn't work well with strafing. Also if ADS makes it in, but hipfire is untouched, reviewers will continue to cry about Halo's "archaic" formula. It's a slippery slope.

I see the fish stick control scheme as a decent enough compromise.

Related question, anyone know if pressing RT with an assault weapon will bring up the binoculars?

.shin

Banned
I know a lot of reviews aren't in yet but Halo 4 is currently the lowest scoring full xbox Halo title on Metacritic with an average of 90.

Halo CE is 97.

Halo 2 is 95.

Halo 3 is 94.

Halo Reach is 91.

Halo 4 is 90.

let us analyze the list again

Halo Reach: 91.

Halo 4: 90.

That's hilarious to me which is why reviews are garbage to me in general. Halo2 better than 3? Its not even better than Reach. In which world was that SP or overall game the second best of the franchise? Our world? Wow.

Other than some good MP maps, id put that game straight in the fucking garbage. Its easily the worst one overall. Easily.

The weapons were unbalanced as hell with either the noob combos, the lock ons weapon that dont miss or the amazing dual wielding, oh and lets not forget the smg, brilliant. Then you have some of the worst SP gameplay of all the franchise. Linear, uninteresting, terrible ending. The only saving grace that game has are the MP maps. Thats its that's all. Oh ya, 95 indeed.

multiplayer was best in the business. Campaign was worst in the business.

Korosenai

343 really hasn't had a good excuse for not showing skill ranks.

David Ellis said that not having skill ranks promotes teamwork, and both Frankie and David have said it also stops boosting.

People are going to boost no matter what you do. There will be people that boost their SR until they're a SR50 or whatever the highest number is.

And i'm not buying the whole not having visible skill ranks promotes teamwork. How? That doesn't even make sense.

It just seems to me like they just straight up didn't want to put it in. They wanted Halo 4 to be different, and i'm fine with that. That's cool. But I just really hope they patch it in later on down the road.

Karl2177

Gaming journalism: saying that FPS games need ADS to get an 8/10

Gaming fanboys: saying that its not fair that a 4/5 = 80%

You seriously can't make up this shit.

nillapuddin

What else would you convert it to?

uhhh, what?

Giant Bomb gave Halo 4 a 4/5 stars

Metacritic converts that to an 80, up until that 7 it was the lowest review on the site
Im just saying, if they were grading it on a 100 point scale it might have been anywhere from 81-99, but its either an 80 or a 100.

but after looking at GB's other reviews, I honestly have no idea how they figure this shit out between 4's and 5's

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe = 100
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts = 100
MW2 = 100
Punch-Out!! = 100
Kirby's Epic Yarn = 100
Syndicate = 100
Rhythm Heaven Fever = 100

Halo Waypoint, ladies and gentlemen.

gofyourself.gif

The fact that 4/5 stars are converted to 80's isnt fair

tumblr_m5fd13UuTH1qm9dli.jpg

Definitely getting this day 1.

Used to play Halo 3 everyday, then stopped. Then got Reach..didn't really like it so I stopped. Kinda getting back into it now for H4.

I was wondering, whats GAF's general consensus on Halo Reach?

Halo Reach gets hate on this board because most of them cant handle armor abilities. They're incredibly stubborn when it comes to those. Fact of the matter is Halo Reach has (to me) the best SP campaign since CE and the best balanced weapons for MP. If you were to put most of the best Halo2 maps in Reach (and remove the bloom) you would have IMO the best most balanced MP Halo game out there period. But you'll never have people admit it in here because the game has armor abilities.....So it sucks.

Pop

343 really hasn't had a good excuse for not showing skill ranks.

David Ellis said that not having skill ranks promotes teamwork, and both Frankie and David have said it also stops boosting.

People are going to boost no matter what you do. There will be people that boost their SR until they're a SR50 or whatever the highest number is.

And i'm not buying the whole not having visible skill ranks promotes teamwork. How? That doesn't even make sense.

It just seems to me like they just straight up didn't want to put it in. They wanted Halo 4 to be different, and i'm fine with that. That's cool. But I just really hope they patch it in later on down the road.

Totally right.

The fact that 4/5 stars are converted to 80's isnt fair

?
20pt system.

What else would you convert it to?

uhhh, what?

Halo Waypoint, ladies and gentlemen.

C'mon guis.

What nilla meant to say was that the 5 star system itself is complete garbage because obviously a game to receive 5/5 is considered "perfection" on that scale, so anything else would have to be at most a 4, which is an 80, which is a shitty system because obviously Halo 4 is better than an 80.

Those sites should've just given it a 5/5 because it's much closer to 100 than to 80.

-EDIT-

beaten by nilla himself :b

Im pretty sure they think it isn't fair because there are certain scores a game can't get in a true 5 point scoring system. Raiting out of 10 allows games to get a 9, rating out of 5 does not. It's either a 10 or an 8 when it's converted that way, not really the same scale.

Not that it matters to me, just explaining the reasoning.

Pop

Not at all just that Metacritic scores that review at an 80 which downgrades the overall score. Other sites score out of 10, which completely throws off the overall scoring if sites use different grade systems.

Metacritic, how does it work...

Giant Bomb gave Halo 4 a 4/5 stars

Metacritic converts that to an 80, up until that 7 it was the lowest review on the site
Im just saying, if they were grading it on a 100 point scale it might have been anywhere from 81-99, but its either an 80 or a 100.

but after looking at GB's other reviews, I honestly think they are full of it

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe = 100
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts = 100
MW2 = 100
Punch-Out!! = 100
Kirby's Epic Yarn = 100
Syndicate = 100
Rhythm Heaven Fever = 100
they are full of it because they rated all the games, including halo 4, as exceptional? i think you should really step back and realize that metacritic's aggregation formula doesn't mean jack to anyone but the pr for companies that get their bonuses scaled.

ohh noo halo 4 got a 4 instead of a 5. i think people trying to lash against that forget that that's still really good.

I was wondering which of you nerds were gonna be the one to get upset about an 8/10 review

Looks like we got ourselves a winner. Step on down and receive your prize, Waypoint

nillapuddin

Im not fucking complaining Halo 4 got a 4 out of 5 stars

seriously, instead of being your typical fucking gaf personalities that feel cool posting witty fucking comments, use your god damn brains

GamerSoul

What nilla meant to say was that the 5 star system itself is complete garbage because obviously a game to receive 5/5 is considered "perfection" on that scale, so anything else would have to be at most a 4, which is an 80, which is a shitty system because obviously Halo 4 is better than an 80.

Those sites should've just given it a 5/5 because it's much closer to 100 than to 80.

-EDIT-

beaten by nilla himself :b

I'll agree with this. The 5/5 system doesnt leave room for much especially if you're going by whole integers.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Kind of weird you have to stream the terminals off of waypoint... I assume this was a disc space issue? Since they are CG.

Halo CEA had great in game terminals, but also less content to fit on the disc...

Clarification?

Thanks for the responses guys, looks like people didn't really care for Reach all to much.

Will there be a MLG playlist on H4? Or probably after a couple months

Kind of weird you have to stream the terminals off of waypoint... I assume this was a disc space issue? Since they are CG.

Halo CEA had great in game terminals, but also less content to fit on the disc...

Clarification?

They weren't done in time for the disc to hit manufacturing.

And for the record, I enjoyed Reach.

Karl2177

Im not fucking complaining Halo 4 got a 4 out of 5 stars

seriously, instead of being your typical fucking gaf personalities that feel cool posting witty fucking comments, use your god damn brains
Well, then how do you propose an aggregate score site that gives the average review score without having 4/5=80%?

Protip: it's not worth wasting your time over.

Protip2: having a tantrum over people pointing out the flawed logic isn't "using your god damn brains"

Top Bottom