• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Toddler

Buying the best gaming headset in that price range makes me hipster?

Awesome!

I checked out the A40s and 50s hard. Wasn't feeling the mic and wifi interference issues a lot of people reported having, and since I rarely (if ever) game with friends on PS3 or PC, being pigeon held to using them on one console is of no concern.

It didn't hurt to have 2 extra consoles laying around that I traded in for double at GS. Came outta pocket like $20 or so.

FyreWulff

Not every map, the first 3 packs.... Theres a difference.

When a Halo game gets more than 3 map packs.. then I'll start believing there's any past three.

And the fact that no FPS game with a Season Pass this generation has yet to actually have more than one season.

Sanjuro

Speaking of headsets, what would be the best one to get if you don't want to sacrifice your 5.1 setup? I was looking at the Gamecom X10, are there any comparable alternatives?

Basically, I'd like something that only transmits voices and is better quality than the default 360 headset.

The Turtle Beach XC1 is fantastic. Usually found at Walmart or just order online.

When a Halo game gets more than 3 map packs.. then I'll start believing there's any past three.

And the fact that no FPS game with a Season Pass this generation has yet to actually have more than one season.

Im pretty sure MW3 has more than 3 and im also pretty sure 343 never called it a season pass, purposely.

They know people will want a SO season 2 and also more mp maps. Come on, its obvious and i would even bet that theyre already planned out with release date and everything.

GUARANTEED.

Edit: Ill send you 20$ canadian if they stop at 3 packs and only one SO season. That u have my word.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Speaking of headsets, what would be the best one to get if you don't want to sacrifice your 5.1 setup? I was looking at the Gamecom X10, are there any comparable alternatives?

Basically, I'd like something that only transmits voices and is better quality than the default 360 headset.

You mean you want to keep your home theater system?

Well most gaming headsets use optical input so you can use HDMI for theater and optical for headset. If your theater uses optical aswell, most of the headset systems I've seen have optical passthrough.

I checked out the A40s and 50s hard. Wasn't feeling the mic and wifi interference issues a lot of people reported having, and since I rarely (if ever) game with friends on PS3 or PC, being pigeon held to using them on one console is of no concern.

It didn't hurt To have to extra consoles laying around that I traded in for double at GS. Came outta pocket like $20 or so.

Haven't heard of any mic issues with Astros and while my voice is reportedly different there is apparently nothing wrong with it according to my friends.

As for the wireless issue the A50s had, it has been fixed with a firmware update.

The best thing about the Astros is the incredible sound quality. Most reviews compare them to audiophile headphones for sound quality.

Halo 2 had 4 or 5 map packs.

The Turtle Beach XC1 is fantastic. Usually found at Walmart or just order online.
Hmm - pretty ugly but maybe they'll get the job done. Thanks.

Well most gaming headsets use optical input so you can use HDMI for theater and optical for headset. If your theater uses optical aswell, most of the headset systems I've seen have optical passthrough.

I'd like something that stays away from my home theater (IE: plug into 360 control and chat away, no game audio).

Looks like the XC1s might be what I'm looking for.

FyreWulff

Haven't heard of any mic issues with Astros and while my voice is reportedly different there is apparently nothing wrong with it according to my friends.

As for the wireless issue the A50s had, it has been fixed with a firmware update.

The best thing about the Astros is the incredible sound quality. Most reviews compare them to audiophile headphones for sound quality.

Halo 2 had 4 or 5 map packs.

Halo 2 is the lone exception, as it had a 4th one released well after the fact and wasn't originally even planned. Before the last CA 2 map pack with Tombstone and Desolation, it had 3:

The one with Warlock and Containment.

The one with Sanctuary and Turf.

The big one with Relic, Terminal, Gemini, Backwash, Elongation.

Halo 3 had three: Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic. Mythic was originally a single third pack split into two later for marketing purposes, originally called the Mythic Collection.

Reach had three: Noble, Defiant, and Anniversary.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Halo 2 is the lone exception, as it had a 4th one released well after the fact and wasn't originally even planned. Before the last CA 2 map pack with Tombstone and Desolation, it had 3:

The one with Warlock and Containment.

The one with Sanctuary and Turf.

The big one with Relic, Terminal, Gemini, Backwash, Elongation.

Halo 3 had three: Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic. Mythic was originally a single third pack split into two later for marketing purposes, originally called the Mythic Collection.

Reach had three: Noble, Defiant, and Anniversary.

So, Halo 2 had 4. Halo 3 had 4 and Reach was the only with 3.

Mkay.

lolwaypoint is in meltdown thanks to that stupid decision to remove ranked.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
quick questions.

1. how fast do you rank up compared to reach or cod?
2. can you vote or veto a map?
3. no friendly fire for all mode or just some?
4. guests can now play on all playlist? not just social?
5. the party always stay the same after every match?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
quick questions.

1. how fast do you rank up compared to reach or cod?
2. can you vote or veto a map?
3. no friendly fire for all mode or just some?
4. guests can now play on all playlist? not just social?
5. the party always stay the same after every match?

1. Apparently fast.
2. Vote for map.
3. "Infinity" modes there is no FF.
4. The game only has social.
5. Don't know.

Sanjuro

Hmm - pretty ugly but maybe they'll get the job done. Thanks.

I'd like something that stays away from my home theater (IE: plug into 360 control and chat away, no game audio).

Looks like the XC1s might be what I'm looking for.

They are loud and don't pick up noise easily. Love them.

Woorloog

Banned
How does the installation process work? Do i just install Disc 2 normally or does the game prompt me to do that like Battlefield 3's high-rez textures?

.shin

Banned
What if once you got up to Mission 25 for Spartan Ops, 26 through 50 was just the last 25 missions backwards, just so 343 can live up to the Halo tradition of back track missions?

what if

FyreWulff

So, Halo 2 had 4. Halo 3 had 4 and Reach was the only with 3.

Mkay.

lolwaypoint is in meltdown thanks to that stupid decision to remove ranked.

*facepalm*

Halo 2 had 3, and one released 3 years after the game came out for a larf that wasn't even a glimmer in Microsoft's eye in their original sustain plan, and was originally an attempt to get OXbox owners to upgrade to a 360 earlier as the pack was announced as 360 exclusive.

Halo 3 had 3. The third one was made as a single map pack. As in, Microsoft and Bungie planned for 3 map packs, and made 3 map packs, then Microsoft repackaged the last one to get people to buy Halo Wars.

Reach had 3.

People assign a mysterious quality to Microsoft for some reason when they're extremely predictable and have a fairly standard plan. This would be the first Halo to actually get more than 3 planned map packs and the first 360 game to actually have more than one content season with a Map Pack Pass.

*facepalm*

Halo 2 had 3, and one released 3 years after the game came out for a larf that wasn't even a glimmer in Microsoft's eye in their original sustain plan, and was originally an attempt to get OXbox owners to upgrade to a 360 earlier as the pack was announced as 360 exclusive.

Halo 3 had 3. The third one was made as a single map pack. As in, Microsoft and Bungie planned for 3 map packs, and made 3 map packs, then Microsoft repackaged the last one to get people to buy Halo Wars.

Reach had 3.

Read my edit, thats how confident i am of there being more than 3.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
*facepalm*

Reach had 3.

So again, Halo 2 had 4, Halo 3 had 4 and Reach had 3.

Stop coming up with some stupid excuse and reasoning to claim they only had 3.

And Halo 2s final map pack wasn't 3 years later and 360 exclusive. lol...

zap

*facepalm*

Reach had 3.

People assign a mysterious quality to Microsoft for some reason when they're extremely predictable and have a fairly standard plan.

What was intended and what happened are two different things sure, but Halo 3 definitely had 4 map packs - it doesn't matter what was originally intended, that's what happened. Also, the third 'pack' was twice the size of normal map packs - don't be silly.

Halo 2 had the Bonus Map Pack, the Killtacular Pack, the Maptacular Pack and the Blastacular Pack. (Hint that is four).

On a serious note, how are you guys planning on making it to 50 missions while keeping it fresh? Are any of the Spartan Ops going to occur on the future map packs?

It'd be ridiculously awesome if we got teasers of new map environments by getting Spartan Ops missions on them before the packs themselves came out.

EDIT: Also, to the DLC talk - maybe it'd be a better assessment to count map totals that came through packs rather than map pack counts themselves.

They need to bring proximity chat back, at least to gametypes like infinity slayer. Nothing better than hearing the dude you killed scream bloody mary right before it cuts out and he is sent into oblivion.

FyreWulff

Read my edit, thats how confident i am of there being more than 3.

You're confusing map count and passes.. I'm only saying Halo didn't pass the count, and Call of Duty passes only apply to the single content season for that game.

Halo 2 released in 2004.

Blastacular came out in 2007.

And it was in fact announced as a 360 exclusive. They only changed it after the community rallied. Here's a thread on HBO where we were talking about it.

What was intended and what happened are two different things sure, but Halo 3 definitely had 4 map packs - it doesn't matter what was originally intended, that's what happened. Also, the third 'pack' was twice the size of normal map packs - don't be silly.

Halo 2 had the Bonus Map Pack, the Killtacular Pack, the Maptacular Pack and the Blastacular Pack. (Hint that is four).

I'm coming from the intention angle. And it was twice as big as the other map packs.. hence why it was going to be named the Mythic Collection. Bungie said this straight up in a Q&A.

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/reconclarification.html

SketchFactor: You can't complete the Brainpan achievement until the remaining three maps are released since as you say, it does require finding six skulls. Long ago, all six maps were considered the "Mythic Collection" but now we're in a situation where three of them will be released early as the "Mythic Map Pack." Technically all six are still "Mythic" though. A little confusing, eh? The reality is that these maps and plans originated long ago and a lot has changed since then, creating a little bit of a convoluted situation but the upside is that three of the maps are coming out before the Halo 3: Recon retail release.

You're confusing map count and passes.. I'm only saying Halo didn't pass the count, and Call of Duty passes only apply to the single content season for that game.

Halo 2 released in 2004.

Blastacular came out in 2007.

And it was in fact announced as a 360 exclusive. They only changed it after the community rallied. Here's a thread on HBO where we were talking about it.

I'm coming from the intention angle.

What im saying is very simple, whatever they announced officially as map packs, there will be more.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Why does Cortana have saggy boobs?

AI's don't live by the laws of physics and age.

Oozer3993

It most certainly was. The Blastacular Map Pack was released in April of 2007 and when originally announced they were supposed to be exclusive to the Xbox 360.

Biggest of all -- new multiplayer maps for Halo 2. For the longest time, whenever someone would ask Bungie if there would ever be any more multiplayer maps for Halo 2, they'd say, "Well, we're kind of working on something called Halo 3. Maybe later." It looks like that later is now, or at least next Spring. They didn't say how many maps would be coming out, or how much they'd cost ... just that you'd need an Xbox 360 to play 'em (for now).

And this whole discussion is about how many map packs were planned at release so it is by no means a "stupid excuse" to claim that Halo 2 and Halo 3 only had 3 map packs planned at release.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Why does Cortana have saggy boobs?

AI's don't live by the laws of physics and age.

come on now. she might not be carbon based, but not all aspects of her have to be based on silicon.

So does nobody else see the problems with auto pick up for the ball? Heck 343 do you not see the problem with auto pick up for the ball?

Guess I'll just abuse it until you guys update it.

DrBo42

It'd be ridiculously awesome if we got teasers of new map environments by getting Spartan Ops missions on them before the packs themselves came out.

EDIT: Also, to the DLC talk - maybe it'd be a better assessment to count map totals that came through packs rather than map pack counts themselves.

Great idea. Free advertising for the packs as well. Everyone wins.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't agree. Blue being good and red being bad is far from being a gaming thing. Red indicates danger or warning and blue is a safer and more calming colour.

http://www.webdesignbooth.com/colors-in-web-design/
I know about all that. It makes sense. I think making waypoints correspond with team colors makes more sense, though.

Edit : I want to see an episode of Spartan Ops that takes place on the Infinity itself. I have no idea how that could line up with the fiction after Halo 4, but it could be awesome.

FyreWulff

So does nobody else see the problems with auto pick up for the ball? Heck 343 do you not see the problem with auto pick up for the ball?

Guess I'll just abuse it until you guys update it.

Ever play BOOM!Ball in Reach's Action Sack? Auto pickup was on in there. World didn't end.

If someone throws a ball at me, your reaction should either anticipate the throw and throw it right back at them, or catch the ball and then take off around a wall and start grabbing time.

Have any of you guys used the Tritton Warhead headset at all? Or any Tritton? They're $500 here but the Halo 4 set is so damn nice. The wireless mic is tempting.

Top Bottom