• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

C'mon guis.

What nilla meant to say was that the 5 star system itself is complete garbage because obviously a game to receive 5/5 is considered "perfection" on that scale, so anything else would have to be at most a 4, which is an 80, which is a shitty system because obviously Halo 4 is better than an 80.

Those sites should've just given it a 5/5 because it's much closer to 100 than to 80.
a 5 star system isn't garbage because it gets converted into a 100 point system by a third party site. reviews are highly subjective so the lower the gradation the better, to get the general impression of how the reviewer feels. a 5 point scale makes every point count, whereas 10 point systems often degrade into 7-9 scales, and 100 point systems are just retarded unless you can specifically tell me what the difference is between a game that gets 8.7 or 8.8.

so this is all pretty dumb and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They weren't done in time for the disc to hit manufacturing.

Really? Interesting. Hopefully Halo 4-5 are on disc. I am all for digital distribution, and also all for streaming services.

That said, things like the terminals, or in general all the Halo 4 promotional ads, I wish I could download them as well as watch them on Waypoint. (which I love).

I have all the Halo 3, Halo ODST, Reach, and even Halo Wars ad's, trailers, viddocs etc saved to my 360, and still watch them rather frequently. It saddens me I couldn't continue this tradition with Halo 4.

There's a perk in MW3 that makes ADS while strafing work extremely well

H2 had the most important thing, it was straight up fun (MP wise anyway). Also it was a time before Bungie didn't completely ruin objective gametypes

Ya, great maps and horrible balance. Let me kill that jeep or Banchee with my lock-on never misses rockets weapon. Or better yet, let me use my noob combo with my other lock-on never misses weapon. Sure is fun, no skills, but fun. Oh ya, just great. You people are such hypocrites. You bitch at the lack of skill in AAs in Reach and praise Halo2 even those most of the time those lock-on guns took no skill at all. My mother could get kills in halo 2 with all those lock-on weapons. Just priceless.

And objective gametypes have been great until 343i decided to remove shit like Assault....

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Im not fucking complaining Halo 4 got a 4 out of 5 stars

seriously, instead of being your typical fucking gaf personalities that feel cool posting witty fucking comments, use your god damn brains
I think peoples' reactions to your original post are dumb and knee jerk, but I could also see how they'd misunderstand what you meant. For someone who often writes out long, articulate posts, people sure do seem to shit on your ideas a lot. but lol waypoint, so who cares. Did you even come from Waypoint?
hate u forever if yes

a 5 star system isn't garbage because it gets converted into a 100 point system by a third party site. reviews are highly subjective so the lower the gradation the better, to get the general impression of how the reviewer feels. a 5 point scale makes every point count, whereas 10 point systems often degrade into 7-9 scales, and 100 point systems are just retarded unless you can specifically tell me what the difference is between a game that gets 8.7 or 8.8.

so this is all pretty dumb and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

This is the context I based my post on, but I agree. Personally I care more about the summation sections and the player reviews over any score system.

I think peoples' reactions to your original post are dumb and knee jerk, but I could also see how they'd misunderstand what you meant. For someone who often writes out long, articulate posts, people sure do seem to shit on your ideas a lot. but lol waypoint, so who cares. Did you even come from Waypoint?
hate u forever if yes

Sometimes I feel like people here just fail at critical thinking, especially when it involves posters they may not like for whatever crazy reasons..

Yeah, I agree it is a slippery scope, but I still say if it was just on one weapon to appease that crowd then it likely could work.

ala Gears of War 3's Hammerburst

I really don't see why anyone who isn't actually in the game industry should give a shit about metacritic, especially when it's a game you know you're getting anyway.

Btw, the EGM reviewer posted in the review thread:
I wrote the review over at EGM you folks love so much, and saw the quotes from the 5/10 (which were largely spot-the-fuck-on, btw), and I'll be interested to see what folks think once 2012 has come to a close.

I loved the original Halo, and enjoyed ODST and Reach quite a bit, and even though this game looks fantastic and offers some solid MP options, I wasn't even remotely impressed with the bulk of the campaign.

We'll see what y'all think once you've actually played it, but if you're still whoopin' it up after the 8th or 9th hour of doing the same stuff, I'll be genuinely impressed.

--

It was then pointed out they gave resident evil 6 a 9.5.

ADS doesn't work well with strafing. Also if ADS makes it in, but hipfire is untouched, reviewers will continue to cry about Halo's "archaic" formula. It's a slippery slope.

I see the fish stick control scheme as a decent enough compromise.

Yeah, I agree it is a slippery scope, but I still say if it was just on one weapon to appease that crowd then it likely could work.

Giant Bomb gave Halo 4 a 4/5 stars

Metacritic converts that to an 80, up until that 7 it was the lowest review on the site
Im just saying, if they were grading it on a 100 point scale it might have been anywhere from 81-99, but its either an 80 or a 100.

but after looking at GB's other reviews, I honestly have no idea how they figure this shit out between 4's and 5's

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe = 100
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts = 100
MW2 = 100
Punch-Out!! = 100
Kirby's Epic Yarn = 100
Syndicate = 100
Rhythm Heaven Fever = 100

gofyourself.gif

Protip with GB; they aren't great with reviews but they are great with quicklooks and podcasts.

Fracas

#fuckonami
hate u forever if yes

Hey derp check your XBL messages. Sent you a double xp code.

Well, then how do you propose an aggregate score site that gives the average review score without having 4/5=80%?

Protip: it's not worth wasting your time over.

Protip2: having a tantrum over people pointing out the flawed logic isn't "using your god damn brains"

Can people seriously not see how a 5 star system is terrible when trying to merge it with much higher systems? I mean like, even extend the 5 stars to use halves (or even quarter stars) and you already have a far more accurate standing. Suddnly that 4 star rating could actually be the upper end of 4 stars, rather than the exact highest point.

5/5 = 5/5 = 100%
4/5 = 4.75/5 = 95%
4/5 = 4.50/5 = 90%
4/5 = 4.25/5 = 85%
4/5 = 4/5 = 80%

Even working backwards, there is only one possible value for a full 5 star rating which is 100 exactly. 99.99% would be 4/5 stars.

I think the system is flawed in that regard which was all nilla was pointing out. Easy Gaf, easy. Less than 90 hours for me until halo 4.

Bullza2o

If I remember right, you get a 14 day trial with the game. Not sure if that means you can get Spartan Ops or not though.
Probably not. XBL trials seem only to be restricted to online gameplay and not any downloadables.

Anyways, I was wondering if there are those who plan on just doing local multiplayer/coop instead of going online.

Can people seriously not see how a 5 star system is terrible when trying to merge it with much higher systems? I mean like, even extend the 5 stars to use halves (or even quarter stars) and you already have a far more accurate standing. Suddnly that 4 star rating could actually be the upper end of 4 stars, rather than the exact highest point.

5/5 = 5/5 = 100%
4/5 = 4.75/5 = 95%
4/5 = 4.50/5 = 90%
4/5 = 4.25/5 = 85%
4/5 = 4/5 = 80%

Even working backwards, there is only one possible value for a full 5 star rating which is 100 exactly. 99.99% would be 4/5 stars.

I think the system is flawed in that regard which was all nilla was pointing out. Easy Gaf, easy. Less than 90 hours for me until halo 4.
the retaliation is that it's less that a 5 point system is bad and more that you should disregard the aggregate trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

the retaliation is that it's less that a 5 point system is bad and more that you should disregard the aggregate trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

So why would you put a round peg into a square hole?

wait, we may be making the same point then. Shit I'm frazzled today :lol

Isn't the problem that the aggregate isn't being disregarded at all?

So why would you put a round peg into a square hole?

i dunno hydra, why would you? sounds like a stupid thing to do.

It sounds hot.

maybe we can try it out in forge together.

lmfao convo of eternity

Low scores/mixed opinions are fine with me.

It's just really stupid when a reviewer says a game's formula needs to "get with the times" by adding in features that are totally cliched. If you have issues with the pacing/level design/etc, I don't understand how ADS fixes that in any way.

ADS is the one thing that would make me punch a baby if implemented into Halo. CoD is slowly becoming the ADS Halo, so those people can just wait for that day to come when CoD has lasers to unlock in MP.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Now now, I don't want us to become what was for Uncharted 3. That shit was embarrassing.

It's just really stupid when a reviewer says a game's formula needs to "get with the times" by adding in features that are totally cliched. If you have issues with the pacing/level design/etc, I don't understand how ADS fixes that in any way.

Kujo

Ya, great maps and horrible balance. Oh ya, just great. And ojective gametypes have been great until 343i decided to remove shit like Assault....
In 3 they nerfed CTF, VIP sucked, and I think they even removed Objective altogether at one point. In Reach, people get more credits by playing it as a slayer game and ignoring the objective, plus all the terrible forge maps and AAs made it less fun (plus its matchmaking system is probably the most unbalanced). In 4, we'll see, but not liking what I've heard so far

Brandon Justice is a horrible reviewer. I am sure the fool did it strictly for the lulz and website hits.

In 3 they nerfed CTF, VIP sucked, and I think they even removed Objective altogether at one point. In Reach, people get more credits by playing it as a slayer game and ignoring the objective, plus all the terrible forge maps and AAs made it less fun (plus its matchmaking system is probably the most unbalanced). In 4, we'll see, but not liking what I've heard so far

Other than the lack of Juggernaut and Assault, im happy. I think they should still allow dropping the flag but we'll see about that after i play.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Right, that doesn't make sense to me either. I would also have to disagree with him when he says the game grows stale after doing the same thing over and over. Halo 4 does a good job of mixing things up and always keeping the gameplay fresh.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Other than the lack of Juggernaut and Assault, im happy. I think they should still allow dropping the flag but we'll see about that after i play.

Regicide is kind of like Juggernaut. Ya get an overshield I believe.

Kind of a shit compromise overall for both Jug fans and FFA players though. =/

nillapuddin

Capture-3.png

Choc

Banned
i'd post what we were not allowed to talk about but they are major major spoilers

there is a reason MS didnt want you talking about it :|

Although not being able to talk about the premise and intro of the game (which a lot of media have ignored i notice) was dumb

Top Bottom