• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Homeboyd

Man, the one thing I'd really like to see more of in the MP maps are interactive elements. Bridges, doors, elevators, trap doors, gates, etc...

Still looking forward to trying these maps out (for the first time), I just love the interactive bits of some of the old maps.

Man, the one thing I'd really like to see more of in the MP maps are interactive elements. Bridges, doors, elevators, trap doors, gates, etc...

Still looking forward to trying these maps out (for the first time), I just love the interactive bits of some of the old maps.

Zanzibar.

Capture-3.png

i1W8lDT8g4u6A.gif

Probably not. XBL trials seem only to be restricted to online gameplay and not any downloadables.

Anyways, I was wondering if there are those who plan on just doing local multiplayer/coop instead of going online.

Only some xbl trials are as you've said. 2days trials are restricted to online gameplay but 14 days are full xbox live experience, just as the first free month when you buy the console.

It sounds like a lot of reviewers have said the game could use better objectives in the SP, so he may be right there.. but his solutions..not so much.

i'd post what we were not allowed to talk about but they are major major spoilers

there is a reason MS didnt want you talking about it :|

Although not being able to talk about the premise and intro of the game (which a lot of media have ignored i notice) was dumb

Are you referring to flaws that you can't directly reference due to spoilers?

Agreed. I would also like to see some more unique map design.. I wanna play something that feels unique and not done before.. if possible.

Choc

Banned
specific story beats were not allowed to be spoken about. Including the introduction sequence (which as i said most media have ignored because it was f'ing stupid)

terminal data couldnt be spoken about nor the spartan ops stories

So this is what EGM is like now?

Kill it with fire.

I think some people feel like they need to prove something or be "tough" on big games reviews so that they don't seem paid off or biased, and then they say shit like that that makes them look like complete morons.

"Black Ops 2 - 100/10!"
"Oozing with SOUL!"
"What other developers can learn from CoD"

"Listen here developers, if your game isn't linear with tons of explosions, setpieces, easy to kill enemies, and most importantly; soul, you are doing it all wrong. Take notes, Black Ops 2 is the pinnacle of the FPS genre. This is the new bar, and I'll be damned if any game in the coming years can even hope to reach it."

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think some people feel like they need to prove something or be "tough" on big games reviews so that they don't seem paid off or biased, and then they say shit like that that makes them look like complete morons.
But I mean iron sights and scripted gameplay sequences of all things.. like.. what? How can you even defend those as something a game needs? ESPECIALLY from a franchise known for it's rich sandbox refined to a science.

I hope that's not a reflection of what the average gamer desires.

The simple notion that a game needs iron sights irks me like nothing else and is a good way of proclaiming your lack of credibility and knowledge about the genre.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Zanzibar remake and?

High Ground. (Could open the gate in some gametypes)

"Listen here developers, if your game isn't linear with tons of explosions, setpieces, easy to kill enemies, and most importantly; soul, you are doing it all wrong. Take notes, Black Ops 2 is the pinnacle of the FPS genre. This is the new bar, and I'll be damned if any game in the coming years can even hope to reach it."

Haha, this was good.

Theater may rise again.

Their answer was very good, and it sounds like this new TU philosophy will be incredibly beneficial.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Heavily scripted sequences and smaller environments equal soul, now? Good lord, are these the people I share my hobby with?

I find it so bizarre that his description of soul is "make it more like this other game".

Which is...you know...the very meaning of soulless.

It makes me believe that game reviewers are painfully easy to pander to and manipulate. You know it's true when you can predict what score a game will get before you even play it.

Sai-kun

Banned
Ars Technica: Good riddance: Halo 4 creators threaten permabans for sexist comments

Halo 4 players who make sexist or discriminatory comments while playing the game on Xbox Live will receive a lifetime ban as punishment, according to an interview with the game's creators on Gamespot. While discrimination has always been frowned upon and punishable by temporary or permanent bans from the service, the creators behind Halo 4 seem determined to squelch this kind of harassment with a zero-tolerance policy.

"This is behavior that is offensive and completely unacceptable. I'd like to think most of our Xbox Live players don't support this kind of behavior," said Bonnie Ross, the head of Halo 4 developer 343 Industries, in her interview with Gamespot. Kiki Wolfkill, executive producer of Halo 4, added that a "broadcast mechanism" like Xbox Live can be a dangerous gift to adolescents, especially in the seeming vacuum of supervision that is a multiplayer game or lobby.

fuck yeah. this is awesome.

But I mean iron sights and scripted gameplay sequences of all things.. like.. what? How can you even defend those as something a game needs? ESPECIALLY from a franchise known for it's rich sandbox refined to a science.

I hope that's not a reflection of what the average gamer desires.

The simple notion that a game needs iron sights irks me like nothing else and is a good way of proclaiming your lack of credibility and knowledge about the genre.

Im not defending him. I hate CODs single player games.

DrBo42

I agree with him on backtracking and objectives. You have to admit a lot of Halo boils down to clear area or clear area and hold x to active/deactivate something. The problem is giving the player something to do that seems necessary for a supersoldier to pull off. The most obvious action is what we get, overcoming seemingly overwhelming odds. Doesn't mean 343 can't spice things up or at least try to. That said, no idea what's waiting in the campaign so this discussion isn't very fair.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Im not defending him. I hate CODs single player games.
I know, I agree with what you said but his comments defy logic entirely.

The rest of the comments at least seem justifiable. I haven't played the game yet so I can't say anything about those.

I agree with him on backtracking and objectives. You have to admit a lot of Halo boils down to clear area or clear area and hold x to active/deactivate something. The problem is giving the player something to do that seems necessary for a supersoldier to pull off. The most obvious action is what we get, overcoming seemingly overwhelming odds. Doesn't mean 343 can't spice things up or at least try to. That said, no idea what's waiting in the campaign so this discussion isn't very fair.

That's the thing - Tashi seems to think the campaign does an excellent job keeping objectives fresh. Who is right I suppose we'll see at launch.

But that's not why we're laughing.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, yes it sounds good, but how strict will they be and how will they enforce it. What if someone takes a light hearted comment too seriously? What if there is a misinterpretation? Maybe it's just that I prefer all things internet to be wild west style, but I could see this coming with unfortunate consequences. Also, life time ban for first offense? That 13 year old should really be punished forever?

I know, I agree with what you said but his comments defy logic entirely.

The rest of the comments at least seem justifiable. I haven't played the game yet so I can't say anything about those.

I haven't played it either, but i don't need to play it to know i don't need iron sites or scripted linear game-play in it. The beauty of Halo is that you can approach every battle differently every time you play it. Thats why i play it. He clearly doesnt get that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, yes it sounds good, but how strict will they be and how will they enforce it. What if someone takes a light hearted comment too seriously? What if there is a misinterpretation? Maybe it's just that I prefer all things internet to be wild west style, but I could see this coming with unfortunate consequences. Also, life time ban for first offense? That 13 year old should really be punished forever?

All 13 year olds should be banned forever.

GrizzNKev

Banned

I think perma-muting a player would be a better solution than banning them. That way they can still play the game they paid for but can't ruin the experiences of other people so easily.

Yes, homophobic, racist, sexist pieces of crap should be banned forever, no matter how old they are.

Wanna keep playing your shiny new game? Try to be a decent human being.

A little late no? Jesus, why do they think i either party chat or dont use a headset 95% of the time.

GrizzNKev

Banned
You raise a good point.

Sounds good to me.

I just don't want Halo 4 lobbies to be like GAF before the great unbanning of cunt.

Reach introduced a somewhat effective solution to this problem. If someone gets muted enough times then they're automatically muted to other players when they go online. Seems good enough to me, just incorporate the feature into reporting people as well, since people tend to not realize how easy it is to mute people.

Top Bottom